logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-help
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-24 17:56
Skeletons in the Closet – Blood Loss by Ashley Fontainne @AshleyFontainne
Blood Loss - Ashley Fontainne,Lillian Hansen

Bloss Loss by Ashley Fontainne has one of those covers that makes me realize…I must go into the forest. I love covers with trees, forests, and woods, so this makes me want to enter another of Ashley’s fantastic stories, jumping and skipping down the trail. I must follow that path, no matter that I am alone and there is danger.

Ashley has been writing this series with her mother Lillian Hansen. It is the second Magnolia novel and it is based on a true story. You can see my review for the first story by following the Blood Ties link at the end of the post.

Cover and Interior book design by One of a Kind Covers

Blood Loss - A Magnolia Novel

Goodreads Amazon

MY REVIEW

I am so happy to be back with some familiar friends and am looking for another mystery to solve. Blood Loss by Ashley Fontainne and her mother, Lillian Hansen, is the second Magnolia story, based on a true one, and I don’t want to miss a thing.

We pick up where Blood Ties ended, but I believe you can read this as a stand alone. If this is your first foray into the Magnolia series, I do recommend starting at the beginning.

The Magnolia has become Karina’s home. She and her mother inherited the home for the elderly and it seems like mysteries and danger arise from the house itself.

Karina’s nightmare awakens her, but it’s nice having her hunkie boyfriend at her side. Bo tells her the nightmares will pass.

“They’re all dead thanks to you, so that makes you the predator, not the prey.”

Karina is a strong, determined ex cop, as is her mother. They have put that behind them, but it’s a good thing they have those skills to draw on.

She’s tough, snarky and has a potty mouth. Pull a gun on her and she’ll blow your head off, but she has a big heart and guards it well.

Death by dick wouldn’t fly anyway, though it would be a memorable obituary for sure, going viral in hours. (Karina’s thoughts about Bo’s insatiable libido).

I laughed out loud when I read her version of the song You Don’t Own Me.

Karina has me cracking up throughout the pages and I love being inside her head.

It is that kind of writing that gives Ashley’s stories a fun and humorous bent and keeps me coming back for more. I think humor goes hand in hand with romance and mystery.

My first big surprise I never saw coming. No warning, but at least it’s all good.

“Like the Good Book says, the love of money is the root of all evil. And it’s a thick root that runs deep into bloodstained dirt.”

Government conspiracies? Never underestimate the power of greed. Some will stop at nothing.

A home for old folks…not surprising there are skeletons in the closet and secrets hidden. In 1957 two women vanished without a trace and the game is afoot.

Karina misses the rush of the hunt, so when the mystery appears, she jumps on it, regardless of being warned off. It’s just not in her nature. She cannot resist the mystery and I know she will find danger.

I’m onto you Ashley. The second surprise is about Karina. I didn’t see this one either and I love when the author can surprise me. Ashley Fontainne has that ability, and so much more. She draws me into the story quickly and easily. The characters become my friends. I worry about them, want the best for them, and if I could climb into the pages of the book, I would help them. As it is, all I can do is read…

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Blood Loss by Ashley Fontainne.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

Read more here.

Ashley Fontainne’s writing is so spectacular, I am always anticipating the next book I will read of hers. Here are my reviews…so far:

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/skeletons-in-the-closet-blood-loss-by-ashley-fontainne-ashleyfontainne
review 2017-11-24 16:34
Review: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas
Crown of Midnight - Sarah J. Maas

"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."

From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie... and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.

If you have not read book one, this review may contain spoilers.

This book starts of pretty much where the last one ended. I really liked the last book but I must say I LOVED this book. I just loved it, everything about it was great.

The story telling, the world setting, the characters growth and arcs, the endless twist and turns and many shocking surprises.

This book gave me whiplash like hardly any book before. I went from laughing and swooning to be being shocked, heartbroken and sobbing like a fool. Just be be brought back to being shocked to the amazing and powerful ending of this book. While some of the things with Celaena I suspected other came as a complete surprise.

Too not spoil anything to those who have not read it I will not go into too much detail as always.

In this book we learn so much more about our major players in this series. Celaena, Dorian, Chaol, Nehemia but also a lot more about the king and his motives.

We also get to meet some new people. Some are nice, others not so much.

There is still a love triangle but I must say I did not mind it as it fit and actually some things made sense.

We learn so much more of Celaena, her past her future plans and so much more. As mentioned about I had some idea what was about to come for her but some things were a surprise. But really it made sense. We get to see her at her best and maybe even happy, but we also get to see her at her worse and see why she is Adarlan's most feared assassin.

Dorian surprised me in this book, in more than one way. I actually thought he was great and reacted fairly well to certain ‘news”. There is more to Dorian than believed in book one.

The same goes for Chaol. I also liked him and he also surprised me with some reactions he had. Also some new and interesting facts come to light about him and it will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Nehemia, also plays a huge part in this book again and some new and very shocking are revealed about her. I love the friendship her and Celaena have.

Some people from Celaena’s past that shake things up and also give us a closer look at her past and the life she lived.  We also meet some new people on the Kings site.

Overall. I cannot say enough how much I loved this book and everything about it. Even when it pulled me off cloud nine so I could have had my heart ripped out and slowly trampled on and after that just sitting there in awe.

If I could give it a ten star rating I would but as my rating only goes to 5, a 5 ★ it is.

Some of my favorite quotes:

“I can't tell if I should be ashamed of wanting to hold you on this day, or grateful that, despite what happened before now, it somehow brought me to you.”

***

“I worry because I care. Gods help me, I know I shouldn't, but I do. So I will always tell you to be careful, because I will always care what happens.”

***

“Who said anything about shame?" She gestured down to her naked body, even though it was covered by the blanket. "Honestly, I'm surprised you're not strutting about, boasting to everyone. I certainly would be if I'd tumbled me.

"Does your love for yourself know no bounds?"

"Absolutely none.”

***

“Then Celaena and the King of Adarlan smiled at each other, and it was the most terrifying thing Dorian had ever seen.”

***

“If they wanted Adarlan's Assassin, they'd get her.

And Wyrd help them when she arrived.”

***

“But he had no idea what sort of darkness lurked inside her, or what sort of monster she was willing to become in order to make things right.”

Available NOW

Sarah J. Maas is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Throne of Glass series (Queen of Shadows, Book 4, will be out in September 2015), as well as the A Court of Thorns and Roses series (out 5/5/15).

Sarah lives in Bucks County, PA, and over the years, she has developed an unhealthy appreciation for Disney movies and bad pop music. She adores fairy tales and ballet, drinks too much tea, and watches an ungodly amount of TV. When she's not busy writing, she can be found exploring the historic and beautiful Pennsylvania countryside with her husband and canine companion.

Links

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

review 2017-11-24 16:17
Review: Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas
Throne of Glass - Sarah J Maas

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world

I’ve been hearing about Sarah J Maas’s books for a while now and after having read The a Court of Thorns and Roses Series I thought it was time to dip my toes into her Throne of Glass series. And man am I happy that I did and I’m not sure why I waited so long. The only good thing is now I can binge read the books

I loved this book. I loved everything about it. The story, the characters, the writing, the magic and the endless twists and turn. I say that even though there is a love triangle, most of you know that I’m not a big fan of them but I must admit. It is very well done in this book and not all that bothersome. Considering Celaena is doesn’t even really catch on to both of them.

I already have picked my fav. I will not say who and why in this review, to not maybe spoil it to the few who have not read it yet. I know some have not but I think I’m pretty late on this series lol

I also super enjoyed the multiple POVs we get in this books, that way we get as much info as we can and get to know some of the other people in the book better.

Celaena I just loved her. I loved that she is that super bad a$$ assassin, known and feared by most but yet she has a pretty vulnerable site to her. She has fears and worries like most of us. I loved her backstory and I can’t wait to read more about her and her past. I love that she is super smart and thinks things through beforehand…. Well most of the time. I love her sense of humor and that she fights what she thinks is right. I also loved that she is such an avid reader.

Dorian. I enjoyed very much. I loved that he didn’t “act “as the crown prince as he should. I loved that he matched Celaena’s humor and sarcasm with his own.

Chaol, I also enjoyed very much, he was also funny and met her sarcasm plus he could fight her and survive.

Nehemia, I liked her a lot and can’t not wait to learn more of her.

Like, I said before I loved this book and everything about it. We get action, romance, lots of humor magic and lots of twists and turns. I personally can’t wait to learn and fight out more about the forbidden magic, the history and what is about to come. I of course have my theories and we shall see what will happen next and how long the love triangle will last or if she will even choose one ever.

Overall, great book and I rate it 5 ★. It could have been a 4 or better but I really loved this book and how I connected with it so I give it as solid five stars.

Some of my favorite quotes

“Libraries were full of ideas—perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

***

“How long was I asleep?" she whispered. He didn't respond.

"How long was I asleep?" she asked again, and noticed a hint of red in his cheeks.

"You were asleep, too?"

"Until you began drooling on my shoulder.”

***

“My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.”

***

“She moaned into her pillow. "Go away. I feel like dying."

"No fair maiden should die alone," he said, putting a hand on hers. "Shall I read to you in your final moments? What story would you like?"

She snatched her hand back. "How about the story of the idiotic prince who won't leave the assassin alone?"

"Oh! I love that story! It has such a happy ending, too—why, the assassin was really feigning her illness in order to get the prince's attention! Who would have guessed it? Such a clever girl. And the bedroom scene is so lovely—it's worth reading through all of their ceaseless banter!”

***

“What's the point in having a mind if you don't use it to make judgements?”

Available NOW

Links

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/throne-glass-throne-glass-1-sarah-j-maas
review 2017-11-24 08:00
Night Train To Lisbon
Night Train to Lisbon: A Novel - Pascal Mercier,Barbara Harshav

I started reading Nighttrain to Lisbon together with quite some other frequent book-readers. I probably hadn't chosen this book by myself even though the press were very enthusiast about it.

But, I didn't like it. The story seemed a bit weird, I didn't know what to think of it. And in my opinion everything happens far too easy. He finds everyone he wants to speak with, everybody is still alive. I really had to force myself to keep reading and prevent myself from putting it away.

I wouldn't recommend it, but I know there are a lot of people who really like it as well.

text 2017-11-24 05:14
Devin Fitzpatrick Art Consultants Review: Udnyt kunsten til dit hjem design

Hvis dit hus ser kedeligt eller kedeligt, så er det tid til at intensivere dit spil på sit interiør design som pr råd fra Devin Fitzpatrick art Consultants. En ting, der i høj grad kunne bidrage til forskønnelse af dit hjem er at sætte dejlige kunstværker. Du vil helt sikkert føle begejstring, når du er den ene ansvarlig for at designe et rum, hvor du også vil forstå den rolle, kunst i at give positiv energi og følelse til mennesker. At tage sig af det indvendige design og placere gode kunstværker kan også være om dig selv, gøre dit bedste for at sætte kunst, der kan definere dig som person ved at købe originale og særlige kunst, som du foretrækker.

Specifikke fagfolk også betragter kunst som elegant og et element, der besidder god energi. Du kan finde på top interiør designmagasiner inddragelse af kunstværker at give mere substans til et værelse. Hvis du leder efter originale og overkommelige kunstværker, skal du søge efter dine lokale kunstnere. De tilbyder ofte kunst tæt på det sofistikerede niveau af dyre dem.

Devin Fitzpatrick art Consultants ikke vil have dig til at understrege dig selv ud i at vælge kunst til dit hjem, således de forberedt nogle enkle tips, der er indkapslet i de følgende afsnit for bedre at hjælpe dig med at dekorere dit interiør.

Hvis du vil føje mere stil til kunsten, skal du sætte den på en ramme. Det vil gøre stykket ser dyrt og mere sofistikeret. Billige rammer kan også gøre undren ved blot at bruge din personlige kreativitet. Sikre, at kunstværkerne opnår en afbalanceret tone og skala i almindelighed. Du kan gå på andre genrer, men husk på dens tone og skala. For at give et eksempel, kan sort og hvid fotografier matches til trækul malerier og monokromatiske malerier.

Hvis dit hus tilbyder nogle brede vægge, kan skabe en collage af kunstværker give en god effekt. At sætte små brikker sammen kan resultere i et smukt mesterværk til væggen. På den anden side, hvis du følger et bestemt tema, hvor det kan være traditionel eller moderne, bør du holde sig til det og købe kunstværker, der er relateret til det.

For at indsamle mere nyttige råd, læse magasiner i forbindelse med brug af kunst i at designe et hjem, kontor eller personlige rum. Indsamle alle vigtige oplysninger og anvende dem til dine designs. For også bedre at værdsætte hver kunststykke, skal du kende deres ægte betydning og værdi. Hver brik skal sættes i forhold til hinanden og skal være i overensstemmelse med dit valgte tema. Alt skal være arrangeret i overensstemmelse hermed at have det perfekte look for hvert værelse.

Eventuelle problemer med kunst design? Kom i kontakt med Devin Fitzpatrick kunst konsulenter for mere professionel hjælp.