logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-help
Load new posts () and activity
text 2014-03-12 16:02
Leafmarks Help?

Also posted in the Leafmarks group...

Does anyone know if there is an easy way on leafmarks to see if you have a review for books? The only way I seem to be able to is painfully slow and time consuming. I just need to quickly see if I my review transferred. Help appreciated.

text 2013-10-26 13:09
Re-Posting: Review Posting Tips on Booklikes

Just some things I've found useful posting my reviews.  Brief explanations follow with more detailed how-to's with screenshots when you click "read more."

• Change the "Post date" field to be the date read to avoid flooding the dashboard feed (and your own blog page and timelines) with hundreds or thousands of reviews being moved over from other book sites.

• Put a unique tag on your reviews so you can find them; for example, I'm adding a "Reviews from Spurts" tag (apostrophes and other punctuation can cause issues).

*adapted from tip in http://krazykiwi.booklikes.com/post/579725/how-to-use-tags-to-fake-a-group-on-booklikes

Source: donealrice.booklikes.com/post/637708/review-posting-tips
text 2013-10-18 21:27
Review Posting Tips

• If you want to see all your reviews in one place — that's just searching by that unique tag or adding a page to your blog that redirects (substitute your own unique search tag for my "reviews from spurts").
  • Easiest to explain by looking at screenshots which follow or seeing what this link shows http://booklikes.com/dashboard?tag=Reviews from Spurts (again replace "Reviews from Spurts" with your chosen tag).
  • I also made that a menu option (page) to click -  All My Reviews - on side menu/navigation options on my blog view at http://:www.donealrice.booklikes.com .* Also easier to see  in screenshots or by clicking links than to explain.

Source: donealrice.booklikes.com/post/637708/review-posting-tips
text 2013-10-17 01:07
Did You Know... that currently reblogging a review post creates another review/rating on the book page?

Did you know that currently every time a member's book review post is reblogged, another copy of review and the star ratings gets added to the book page credited to the reblogger?  Then another if someone else reblogs the reblog of the original and on down the line?  (No, that's not a how-to for authors wanting to game the system; just an explanation of why there are posts and reviews going around asking that reviews not get reblogged).

Plus any comments on the review are not seen by the reviewer unless you click all the reblog links back thru to the original reviewer before making a comment?  And that on your blog page it looks as if you wrote the review (until the small "reblogged from" line at bottom is spotted which may denote just whoever it was reblogged from or may be the original reviewer)?

Likely in the booklikes to do list but currently an odd issue.

Source: donealrice.booklikes.com/post/632077/did-you-know-that-currently-reblogging-a-review-post-creates-another-review-rsting-on-the-book-page-
review 2013-09-26 01:29
Not Relatable for All 20-Something Women
20-Something, 20-Everything: A Quarter-Life Woman's Guide to Balance and Direction - Christine Hassler

I'm not big on self-help books, but facing a mountain of student loans and no permanent full-time job offers was enough for me to seek self-help book recommendations. I ended-up with this one and can't say that I feel really improved from having read it. 20 Something, 20 Everything is less than 10 years old, but is extremely dated due to the current state of the economy and how Hassler discusses the work force.

Additionally, this book isn't really geared towards all 20 something women. Its geared primarily towards the middle class and college educated. This comes through primarily in the interviews with various women that Hassler has peppered throughout the book. I only ran across one woman who I figured was making about minimum wage (a waitress) and I don't remember any of the women described as having anything less than a bachelors degree. Furthermore, the women who were interviewed primarily had white collar jobs where they were probably making about 30k or more. That's all fine and dandy if you're in that particular group of women, but if you're not, parts of this book will probably just make you feel worse than helping anything.

However, despite all my gripes with the book, there were snippets that I found interesting. I suppose I'll leave this review with one of the quotes that I did find helpful.

"As we journey into adulthood, we evolve away from lives in which everything was planned for us and taken care of by our parents, into college lives where we enjoy some freedom but our general structure is set, and finally into a reality that is devoid of a set curriculum. This absence of structure drives many of us right into planning mode. But what do we miss along the way? Does over-planning cause us to miss the very important steps of truly evaluating what we want and easing into our experiences?

To east the woes of our twenty-something crisis, we can remind ourselves that just making the best decisions that we can every day is good enough. If we stop, take a deep breath, and check in with the present moment more often, a lot of knots in our stomachs will loosen. A lot of us daydream about how things could be different or better in our lives because we hate our current circumstances. Although daydreaming can be valuable, true sanity comes from contentment with where we are."
(pg 91)