Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-help
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-20 17:25
Stephen King’s first book, a true classic: read the book where it all started!
Carrie (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) - Stephen King

I have FINALLY read ‘Carrie’, Stephen King’s first book. Yes, it was his FIRST book!
Reading a book when you already know the story so well (from the movie) is such a different experience than reading the book and then watching the movie, but it’s even more different when it’s one like this. I’ve seen ‘Carrie’ so many times because it’s one of my favorite horror films (not talking about any stupid remake, despite the fact I happen to have the book copy that is the remake movie tie-in. Remakes of good films are blasphemy). The original movie is perfection with Piper Laurie and Sissy Spacek and when reading the book, is was VERY hard for me not to get their images out of my mind. It was brilliant casting, for a brilliant story.
When reading this pretty short book (it comes in at basically 300 pages, which is so short, when you compare it to the behemoths of IT and The Stand), you are transported to 1979 immediately by the language, the descriptions of the clothing, and even the comparative style of King’s writing. It’s kind of a treat and a bit of a time warp you are pulled into. It took a bit of getting used to, along with the way King uses different narrative styles; the reader is given reports of the main ‘incident’, as well as character accounts, and intersperses them into the main story. If you didn’t know the ending from seeing the movie, you would have a good idea about a lot of it from these accounts as you go through.
As for the dynamic between Carrie and her hellacious (sorry, have to say it) mother, the interactions are horrific and they make your blood boil and King has given all he can to make the dread and tension so vivid. By writing in Carrie’s ‘thoughts’ we get little peeks into what’s going on in her mind as her powers are getting stronger; you start rooting for the girl who is being bullied, dominated, threatened all her life. You just know that there is no other way for this story to end.
What is most interesting to me now is the contrast with what what acceptable in terms of what kids could get away with (in terms of bullying and hazing) at school, compared to now. That’s a whole other story.
Anyway, I’m glad I finally got to read it as part of a Litsy buddy read. I love the movie so much, and it’s amazing to think that this is where Stephen King’s book career started. With a short novel that had one of most memorable horror movies made out of it.
*Don’t ever bother with the remake though.

review 2018-03-20 16:55
Photography Book – Walk With Me by Debra Schoenberger @RedheadWithBook @iReadBookTours
WALK WITH ME - Debra Schoenberger

Publisher: Blurb
Release date: December 26, 2017
Tour dates: March 5 to 23, 2018
Content Rating: G

I think the title for Walk With Me by Debra Schoenberger speaks for itself, photographs taken on the fly. Expensive cameras are not required to save the moment for future enjoyment. I think most of us have a trusty cellphone with us.

I have been shooting photography for a long time and my camera has been with me longer than my Kindle, though both are now ‘a must have on me all the time’ companion.

I’m sure there is a photograph in Walk With Me that will make you smile, maybe create a frown, or provoke some heavy thinking.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Walk With Me by Debra Schoenberger.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/photography-book-walk-with-me-by-derbra-schoenberger-redheadwithbook-ireadbooktours
review 2018-03-20 16:46
Have You Ever Been…Jinxed by Donna Augustine @donnaugustine
Jinxed (Karma) (Volume 2) - Donna Augustine

The covers for the Karma series are FABULOUS.

Would you choose a book for that reason alone?

Amazon  /  Audible  /  Goodreads

First thing, I would recommend reading the Karma series in order. I started Jinxed some time after reading Karma and it took me a while to refresh my memory of where I left off. After that, though, the book took off and Karma is leading me down a twisted and dangerous path.

Karma has an attitude and it gets her in a lot of trouble. She is stubborn, mule headed, independent and determined to do it herself. She is snarky with a big chip on her shoulder. God help those who cross her when it is time to pay the piper.

The characters straddle the world between the living and the dead. That doesn’t mean they don’t like hot sex and good food. Can you kill a dead person? Do you believe in Santa and the Tooth Fairy? How about Murphy, Lady Luck, Fate? Kitty has her black cats, except for one, Smoke, who is gray now that he’s retired. Jockey has his Night Mares, which Karma will be one of the few to meet, other than us, the readers. Mother Nature, you really don’t want to piss her off.

Paddy plays an important, but somewhat, cameo role. He thinks Karma could be the one to save them and time is running out for him.

The Guardians of the doors, that allow for transport between the worlds, don’t have many friends, but Karma is one of them. She found their sweet spot and it will pay off in her times of need.

I love how everyone runs from Cupid when they see him coming. LOL Don’t want him messing with your love life…or do you?

Everything she went through as a transfer, all the confusion, Karma felt they needed a manual to make it easier for everyone. After all, humans have job description, don’t they?

Seeing Jinxed is the second book in the series, I don’t want to tell you too much, but I laughed, cringed, and raced my way through it.

Do you believe? Is there more to life and death than meets the eye? Do you want there to be more? Which role would you want to play in the world of transfers? There will be a job available, because they do retire.

The Karma series has captured me and transferred me to a place where I can have one foot in the our world and one foot in theirs.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Jinxed by Donna Augustine.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/have-you-even-been-jinxed-by-donna-augustine-donnaugustine
review 2018-03-20 14:50
Guardian of Darkness (Darkness #7) by Katie Reus
Guardian of Darkness - Katie Reus

We met Vega in the first book in the series. She used to be a rebel child but not anymore. She’s found her own path and now works for a special force that takes out rogue supernatural beings. I really liked this side of her. She came off as the strong, independent, sensible heroine she’s supposed to be.

Gabriel, knowing what he knew of their future, always proceeded with caution but was never overbearing or possessive. The romance trope was kind of fated mates however it was sweet and believable with a high dose of pure passion and explosive chemistry. During their mission, Vega and Gabriel always behaved as the true partners and the professionals they were supposed to be while keeping their emotions on check. I always love it when an author keeps the plot real yet knows when it should be about the romance. There was only a little scene that made me think “Uhm, why are they doing this now?” Then again that scene gave continuation to the arc so I guess it wasn’t so bad.

We also get to meet new characters and the story digs further into the paranormal world. I think we may be seeing more humans in the future since it seems supernatural and human beings are working together to keep peace all around. All in all it was a great book and I recommend it to anyone looking for a fast-paced, entertaining read.

*** I received this book at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.***

review 2018-03-20 10:00
Release Day Review! Moon Bound (Pack Bound #2) Leisl Leighton!
Moon Bound (Pack Bound) - Leisl Leighton

Only her love can heal his broken soul...

Five hundred years ago, facing extinction, a group of powerful witches united to create a pact with the Were to save witch-kind. The pact expelled an ancient evil, known only as the Darkness, that was blocking the Were from their wolves. With the Darkness destroyed, the Packs and their Covens grew strong as they thrived beside each other in their brand-new world.

But the Darkness was not destroyed.

Wiccan Healer-Witch Bronwyn Kincaid wants a quiet life. Her new powers have other ideas. Her increased healing magic and empathy mean she can’t ignore the plight of River Collins, a wolf brought up thinking the animal inside him is an evil he must forever suppress. If Bronwyn can’t control her powers and help River accept his wolf, the evil Darkness that hunts the Were will use them to destroy those they love.

I have to say that the Pack Bound series is off to a great start, the first book Pack Bound was an exciting read and now Moon Bound is one thrilling read that had me glued to the pages.

Bronwyn and River are strong, compelling characters that readers can’t help but fall for and cheer them on toward their happily ever after, their romance is full of emotional turbulence and the story invokes a gamete of feelings in readers throughout. The romance is sweet and the chemistry between Bronwyn and River has sparks flying but due to several issues has them both turning away which certainly keeps readers filled with suspense.

The plot is fast paced and full of thrills, intrigue and danger with the pack’s enemies coming back to try and destroy them once again adding suspense and excitement to story while also keeping reading readers on the edge of their seat with anticipation of just what those enemies will do next and what the Pack will do in retaliation. Oh and the antagonist is one that still sends shivers down my spine and has me continually trying to guess just what she is going to come up with next.

The Pack Bound world is definitely fascinating and full of intrigue which ensures that I am going to keep coming back for more, but while I find some things unexpected, there are a couple of predictable elements but not enough to keep me from enjoying the story and I can’t wait to visit with Pack McVale again in Shifter Bound which will be released in April.

Moon Bound is the 2nd book in the Pack Bound series.

Shifter Bound – 3rd book is due to be released on April 20, 2018.

Moon Bound is available in ebook at:

Amazon    iBooks   BookTopia   Kobo   B&N

Leisl Leighton can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Twitter   Facebook