logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review-to-come
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-01-20 11:29
Review of The Ghost Hunter's by Neil Spring
The Ghost Hunters - Neil Spring

Wow this is my first review on BookLikes and I'm going to start with a book I mentioned in a previous blog post "The Ghost Hunter's."

Now if a book contains any element of truth I'm really interested to read it and see how fact and fiction blend.

"The Ghost Hunter's" is told from the perspective of Sarah Grey, a young women, who in 1926, becomes assistant to Harry Price one of Britain's best known psychic investigators.

Having lost her father in the war, it is  Sarah's mother who becomes obsessed with finding a medium who can let her speak to her late husband; and it is through this search Sarah encounters Price for the first time.

Price is determined to expose fake mediums as he doesn't believe authentic ones exists, and it is this work Sarah helps him with.

But everything changes when a national paper asks Price to investigator Borley Rectory; as the night Sarah and Price spend there changes both their lives for ever.

In this his debut novel Neil Spring weaves fact and fiction effortless to give a new take on both Harry Price and Borley Rectory.

Now if you are looking for a horror story, you will need to look elsewhere as this book is psychologically driven.

Sarah Grey's character is Neil's creation, but she is a very likable and well crafted. You can almost feel her pain at different stages throughout the book.

Harry Price had the reputation of being the best known psychic investigator, not only in Britain but beyond. These days a lot of his work, especially that on Borley has been  dispelled as fraudulent, and in this book Neil portrays him as a secretive man who is also cunning and deceitful.

No one knows for sure just what happened at Borley Rectory, but even today it is still something of an enigma.

Did Price fabricate a lot of it as purported in the book?

We shall never know, although even today there reports of strange happenings in Borley Church.

This a wonderful book and I can't recommend it highly enough.

text 2018-01-20 00:04
South Bellmore Veterinary Group Review: How to better protect your pets during winter

Animals need protection against hazardous weather conditions such as extreme colds or drop in temperatures. Your role as the pet owner is to give shelter and warmth to your pets to keep them safe against dangerous winter storms. South Bellmore Veterinary Group, as a group who takes care of animals as if they’re their own, would like every pet owner to better protect their pet and maintain its best health. The following paragraphs will elucidate a few steps on how to take care of pets during winter or the cold season.

Keep every pet indoors or create a sturdy shelter for pets living outside. If you have short-haired animals, you are advised to keep them indoors during winter. Give your cats the warmth and comfort they need inside your home since they will really be looking for shelter especially in cold seasons. Your dog needs to have a well-made and draft-free shelter, but you should make the space small enough to keep its body temperature inside. However, space should still let your dog move around. You also need to add something to the entrance of the shelter to cover it and put a straw or cedar shavings for proper insulation.

You also need to check the electrical cords properly and if needed, double check each of them if they’re away from any danger or if they’re in a good condition. Don’t forget even the cords of devices that warm water bowls. Put heat lamps on a good distance away from dry bedding materials to avoid accidents that could even lead to a fire.

Next requires you to jot down things since this includes the list of important things to remember to put on your pet’s emergency or survival kit. Any types of emergencies could happen anytime especially in risky weather conditions such as winter storms, so to keep the best health of your pet, better be prepared beforehand. Food and water will always be included in any emergency kits, South Bellmore Veterinary Group suggests storing at least a three-day supply for both food and water, and you better keep the foods on an airtight and waterproof container. Put the medicines and medical records in a safe and enclosed packaging together with other essential documents that contain the pet’s adoption papers, registration information, and vaccination documents. If you’re open to the idea of microchipping, further discuss the issue with your veterinarian and might as well enroll your pet in a recovery database.

Make sure if you also have enough stock of cotton bandage rolls, bandage tape, bandage scissors, latex gloves, isopropyl alcohol, a saline solution as well as antibiotic ointment, and flea and tick prevention for your pet’s first aid kit. Keep a reference book ready too to perform first aid on pets properly. Add a collar or harness with ID tag, along with rabies tag and a leash plus a secured and durable crate or pet carrier on your pet’s emergency kit.

In order to document ownership right away in case of unfortunate events such as you and your pet were separated during the evacuation, better keep a photo of you and your pet. You can also easily request help from other people if you add important characteristics of your pet such as its gender, age, breed, color, and species.

Your pet might become scared or stressed because of the bad weather condition, so in order to calm their mind, show them their favorite items where it can be a toy or some treats. You still need to maintain the proper hygiene of your pet so ensure to keep newspapers, paper towels, plastic trash bags and household chlorine bleach for the right sanitation of your pet’s litter box. Keeping an exotic pet requires added attention or special care, so see to it that you have the right bedding and habitat materials for this kind of pet.

Buy sweater or added clothing for your pets during winter to at least avoid frostbite and hypothermia. Don’t forget about your short-haired animals since they really need warmth and protection throughout the entire cold season. Wipe all your pet’s paws with a damp cloth if you used rock salt or other chemicals in melting the snow and ice outside your home because these elements can irritate your pet paw pads.

South Bellmore Veterinary Group would like you to treat the animals within your neighborhood with care, so if you’d happen to see some abandoned animals struggling in the tough weather, contact the animal care in your area or the local authorities to give shelter to those poor animals.

show activity (+)
review 2018-01-19 21:41
The Undead Walk Among US in Cloak of Deceit by Gwen Mitchell @Gwen_Mitchell
Cloak of Deceit: An Urban Fantasy Romance (Alex Moore Book 1) - Gwen Mitchell

I received Cloak of Deceit from Gwen Mitchell some time ago and it got lost in the review pile. This year, I aim to catch up on every review owed, regardless of how long it has been.

Cloak of Deceit (Alex Moore, #1)

Goodreads  /  Amazon

MY REVIEW

Alex Moore is a college senior and her whole life had been planned out. Until now.

Her boyfriend broke the rules of the vampire society when he created her and now she is not only a vampire, she is a psychic and has telekinetic powers.  The voices inside her head are the hive, a group of psychics called Gregori. But she is more than that.

She is an impossibility. She is a Gregori, a sworn enemy of the Undead, even though she is one of the Undead also.

I went through the painful, horrifying transformation with her. I heard the voices calling. I ran with her, though it was only in our minds.

Whether she was a violation of the law or a walking bull’s eye, it didn’t matter. Either way she was in deep danger. They all want her dead.

There would be no escape. Without Julian, a Knight of the Cloak, a sexy Undead enforcer, she didn’t stand a chance. Would he stand beside her?

When she talked of drinking the blood and the thickness coating her throat, it almost made me gag.

Tomato juice + cow’s blood = newbie cocktail

I enjoyed this vampire romance novel. Gwen Mitchell did an excellent job with descriptions and details of the fights and emotions of the characters. I loved and hated them and what more can I ask for.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Cloak of Deceit by Gwen Mitchell.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 3 Stars

Read more here.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/the-undead-walk-among-us-in-cloak-of-deceit-by-gwen-mitchell-gwen_mitchell
show activity (+)
review 2018-01-19 21:09
Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins @pameloth
Saving Grace (Katie & Annalise #1) - Pamela Fagan Hutchins

I am a cover girl and when I saw the cover for Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins, I had to have it. I love anything to do with water and this one is a beauty. What do you think?

Cover by Heidi Dorey

Saving Grace (What Doesn't Kill You, #1)

Goodreads  /  Amazon

MY REVIEW

I love the cover and the location, the Virgin Islands, for Pamela Fagan Hutchins’ Saving Grace. It was all I hoped it would be.

I was relating to Katie quickly, wrapping her napkin neatly around her beer, playing pool and winning, but that’s where the similarities ended. I don’t drink and text and neither should she. I find it terrible that a lawyer would act like she did, especially in a room with all her coworkers. She acts like an obsessively love struck teenager.

The beginning is abrupt and I was thrown right into the story and I don’t much like Katie right now. But, let’s see if there is a reason for her being so out of control and sophomoric.

The name dropping got a bit annoying…Dennis the Menace, Bon Jovi, Direct TV, iPhone, Ihop, Hooters, Vaio, Dell, Blackberry…you get the drift.

An intervention sent her to St Marcos in her quest to solve the mystery of her parents death and get her act together. Enter Ava, who in her way introduced Katie to Annalise, Hebrew for Grace, an abandoned mansion that spoke to Katie. Now Pamela has my attention! Who…or what… is really doing the talking?

Katie loved walking on the beach and it cleared her mind. Now, we’re getting together.

Oh man, guess it had to happen, but I’m disappointed how her trip ended. I have a feeling that will change. It was just getting good for me, but I feel there is a lot more to come.

When the news came over the phone after one of the worst days of her life, I got super excited too. My heart beat faster, a smile came to my face, and I began racing through the pages. Oh yeah, now we’re cooking with Caribbean heat.

She got a pick up with a lift kit and cruised off to her new life. I want to be there!! I love to bury my feet in the sand and I have enjoyed a PainKiller or two.

I’m afraid for her and her friends. In the islands anything can happen. The suspense is mounting, the tension building. I can feel it. I see it coming. Does she?

I didn’t like Katie’s whining and sniveling for the longest time, but her growth and development, her willingness to see herself as she really was and make changes, made me like her more and more.

Now…after thinking I wasn’t going to like this so much…I find myself hating for it to end and wanting more.

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Saving Grace by Pamela Fagan Hutchins.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

Read more here.

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!