logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-02-23 13:55
Unexpected Obsession (The Unexpected Series #1) by Barbara Strickland
Unexpected Obsession - Barbara Strickland

syns

Tragedy takes Lia from Sydney to Sicily. Her father’s last wishes were to re-unite his estranged family. Lia finds herself pitted against the formidable Nico who has no interest in reconciling the past. He is a man who needs to control every aspect of life around him, and is unprepared for Lia’s spirit and determination. Can obsession and an overwhelming chemistry become more for Nico and Lia, or will it pull them apart?

my though

2 ½ ★

This book was a rather up and down for me. While there was plenty I liked there were also a few things that I didn’t. I did enjoy the story and the world setting, Italy with all his charm. I also enjoyed the characters, their background and story line. While I enjoyed all these things at the same time I had a hard time to connect to them at the same time. It was a constant back and forth, likening them or not. I think some of it had to do with that some things went into great detail while others were not, that often left them a little flat or a 2 dimensional. That went for characters as well as situations happening. Also for a copy that came straight from Amazon, it had quite a few errors in it, spelling and grammar. While I’m sure that has been corrected by now, it took away from the flow of reading. I think an extra run through the editor or so before publishing it would have helped with that. Overall I thought the story was nice and I enjoyed it, but the character and the structure could have used little more refining.

I rate this 2 ½ ★ but think maybe someone else might even love it.

*I received a free copy from the author and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

Available NOW

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Abouttheauth

Barbara Strickland

Barbara Strickland is currently living in Townsville in Australia's tropical north. Originally from Sydney of Italian parentage she has a Bachelor of Education, and would love the time to work on a Diploma in TESOL. Teaching English as a second language coincides with her love of travel. Fortunate enough, to have three grown-up children who encourage her to express herself, she is free to follow her dreams. More travel one day but at present she is more likely found working on her Unexpected Series where she combine her love of romance with the places she has seen. The rest of the time she likes reading, blogging and ballroom dancing. She has four ambitions. She would like to publish her books, travel, learn to speak at least three other languages, and own a cat with blue eyes. (And a dog but has to find a bigger place to live first)

Links

Website *** Facebook *** Twitter *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

Source: snoopydoosbookreviews.com/unexpected-obsession-unexpected-series-1-barbara-strickland
review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-02-23 10:41
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Review
Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver

Goodreads Synopsis: For popular high school senior Samantha Kingston, February 12—"Cupid Day"—should be one big party, a day of valentines and roses and the privileges that come with being at the top of the social pyramid. And it is…until she dies in a terrible accident that night.

However, she still wakes up the next morning. In fact, Sam lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she ever imagined.

Review:

I admit that the movie trailer made me interested in reading this book. I liked how even though she was living the same day over and over again it wasn’t too repetitive and it was interesting to see what would change in each version of that day.

Anytime I read a YA book set in high school there is always this hierarchy with popular mean girls and jocks at the top. Are all American high schools really like this? The abuse that Sam and her friends put Juliet through was truly awful. However, this story not only portrayed the negative impact bully’s actions can have on their victims but we also got an insight into the motivations of the bully’s and even feel sympathetic towards them.

I really loved Kent and I wanted Sam to be with him. He knew deep down she was still the girl he was friends with all those years ago. That no matter how mean she could be it wasn’t who she really was. I felt they didn’t get enough time though. Sam may have spent a few versions of that day with Kent but for him he only got a very little amount of time with the girl he’s been in love with for years…the poor guy.

I couldn’t stop thinking about this story when I had finished it. I was left wondering what happened to Juliet, Kent, and her friends? How were they effected by her death. Did her friends go back to behaving they way they always did or did they wake up to how they were treating people and decide to change? I’ll admit I wanted to see the fairytale ending of this story where Sam redeemed herself and wakes up on February 13th, lives happily ever after with Kent, and Sam and her friends no longer strike fear into those around them. Although I knew how it would end I kept hoping I would be wrong.

I really enjoyed this story more than I thought I would and I can't wait to see the movie!

text 2017-02-23 06:08
Bingo Blackout!

I have achieved Bingo Blackout! Whoo-hoo! I had a great time picking out books to match squares and following along as everyone else played. Thanks for setting Romance Bingo up Obsidian :)

Insta-loveThe Governor's Daughter by Jerri Hines

Urban FantasyBlood Magic by Jennifer Lyon

review 2017-02-23 05:58
Falling
Going Down Hard - Carly Phillips

This is book #3, in the Billionaire Bad Boys series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader enjoyment and understanding, I recommend reading this series in order.

Derek and Cassie have a kind of awkward history.  While their families can be a touchy subject, they are getting to know one another again.  Derek is ll grown up and hot enough to set Cassie aflame.

Cassie has enough problems on her plate by her own family right now.  Derek is just an added element that may or may not ruin her plans.  Now if they can compromise, there just might be a future ahead.

I know I always love books by this author, she is on my go to purchase list.  This story however, I was just not feeling it.  The banter almost felt forced.  The chemistry is obvious but there was so much that distracted.... I don't know.  This is just my humble opinion.  I can honestly only give it a 2/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This copy was given in exchange for an honest review.