logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-03-19 17:21
Hot to the Touch by Jaci Burton
Hot to the Touch (Brotherhood by Fire) - Jaci Burton

The first in a new series following three firefighting brothers, Hot to the Touch was a steamy fast paced read. After his parents were killed in a car accident, Jackson was sent into the system, only to become a teenager living on the streets. He finds himself a sort of leader trying to take care of kids younger than him but really bonds with two other boys, Rafe and Kal. When a firefighter ends up rescuing them one night, they finally find themselves adopted and in a happy home but Jackson still bears the scars of those early years.

Rebecca “Becks” had a crush on Jackson when they were homeless kids and missed him when he and his “brothers” disappeared. When fate brings them back together, she finds herself attracted to the man. With some matchmaking brothers, healing old wounds, and sexual tension, two former homeless kids may just get their happily ever after.

I enjoyed the set-up of Jackson and his brothers being rescued by a firefighter only to be adopted by him and grow up to work along side him. In order to create some tension between Jackson and Becks, the author had him being unnecessarily rude and short to her. His poking at her for cleaning and cooking while she stayed at their home (she loses hers after a fire) was forced and had him coming off more of a jerk than grumpy teddy bear. His supposed reluctance to love anyone (he seems to have no problem loving his brothers and parents) was dragged through the whole story and only overcame/worked through at the very, very end (90ish%). I'm not even sure I understand the big deal about him not wanting to discuss and/or wallow about his past as a homeless kid.

Becks was a positive character with her raising herself up to become a business owner. However, I felt like her character was never really delved into. She ended up being adopted by a good family but there's no foundation felt from that and her journey from doodling artist to tattoo business owner delivers no emotional impact. She still visits her old stomping grounds and brings essentials to homeless kids but they are such short scenes that they never fully make an impact.

The romance between the two definitely had their steamy moments but since the emotional components weren't fully there for me, I had a hard time connecting. I got from both of them that they found the other sexually attractive and some emotional carryover from Becks' childhood crush but I was never able to feel their connection. Jackson's “don't ever want to talk about the past” dominated the story and it kind of felt like we were spinning our wheels for the majority.

The writing style had a lot of short sentences, which I think hurt the flow for me. The characters also felt very surface, their issues are stated but never expanded on, delved into, or flushed out, making this feel a little dry. There was also an inclusion of a secondary character that is probably being set-up to be a heroine in a future book and her actions felt over-the-top and forced to try and create some friction. The outline and character issues were there but the depth behind them wasn't, this was a fast read but not particularly engaging.

review 2019-03-19 13:22
ARC REVIEW From Breath and Ruin by Carrie Ann Ryan
From Breath and Ruin (Elements of Five, #1)Elements of Five #1, debut YA book Carrie Ann Ryan's newest series might not be for everyone and as someone who doesn't typically read young adult I loved it. It didn't feel like a young adult at times I even forgot that Lyric was just eighteen and as per usual Ryan played with my emotions it seemed like I was reading one of her PNR books just without the sex. There is romance in it and I think I know where she's going to go with it but I always expect the unexpected with Ryan. But the story has grabbed my attention and now I won't be happy until I've read them all.

Lyric is just your average teenager who's good at so many things but nothing she wants to do forever. She stuck trying to figure out what she wants to do for the rest of her life when a classmate and her cute older brother ask Lyric and her friends Braelynn and Emory to go hiking. But when something happens on that hike it sends Lyric's life into a tailspin of events that will forever change her life.

The Maison Realm and the wielders remind me of several things from my childhood, specifically The Dark Crystal, and I loved it, it was like The Last Airbender meets The Dark Crystal and Alice in Wonderland. A once happy kingdom now divided into light and dark and one person with all the combined powers is destined to reunite the kingdom. Lyric is said to be this Spirit Priestess with the combined powers of all the elements. Whether or not Lyric actually believes she is is another matter, for now she just wants to help Rhodes get his sister back.

I loved the characters in this book. Lyric is the main character and narrator so we see first hand how she reacts to everything going on around her; her feelings for Braelynn her best friend, Rhodes her crush, Emory her ex-girlfriend and all the others they meet on their journey. Lyric is very conflicted and is unsure about almost everything she's at a crossroads in her life and throw in the fact that she's some prophesied priestess that will stop a war and fix what's broken just compounds on to her insecurity and her self worth. Everyone believes in her but herself so there is quite a bit of internal struggle going on with Lyric along with fighting off bad guys.

Overall, outstanding book. From the start this book pulled me in and kept me entertained the whole time. Engaging characters and descriptive narrative, I can't wait for more Carrie Ann Ryan knows how to set the hook.

review 2019-03-19 11:00
2 X New Release Reviews! Chain Reaction (Security Breach #1) Rebecca York & Triggered Response (Security Breach #3) Patricia Rosemoor!

Welcome readers! Today I have two books from the Security Breach Series. The first one is Chain Reaction by Rebecca York & the next one is Triggered Response by Patricia Rosemoor! Enjoy & Don't forget to add Chain Reaction & Triggered Response to your shelves!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An explosion in a secret defense lab changes the lives of three men forever...

Gage Darnell never should have taken the job of security chief at Cranesbrook defense contractors. And when he rushes into the lab after a secret project goes up in smoke, he's exposed to vapors that leave him with a strange new power. But that's only the beginning of his problems. He wakes up confined to a mental hospital, and after he breaks out, he's framed for murder. His only way to escape from the cops is to "kidnap" his wife, Lily, who thinks he's crazed and dangerous.

Will she trust him enough to come back to their marriage bed and then help clear his name and save both their lives?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After being exposed to vapors that leave him with a strange new power, Gage is now on the run, trying to clear his name and win his wife back in this thrillingly mind blowing paranormal romantic suspense. Gage and Lily are strong characters that captivate readers with their story as Lily tries to determine if her husband is really crazed and dangerous. The romance sizzled with chemistry and the passion is quite heated but this relationship is on the skids if Gage doesn’t find a way to clear his name to the world and to Lily which keeps quite a bit of emotional turmoil flowing from the pages. Readers can relate to the characters and understand their motivations in what they do and how they go about it, although they find themselves having a negative reaction to Lily at first, but they start warming up to her soon enough.

The plots is faced paced and full of adrenaline pumping suspense, exciting danger and surprising twists which keeps readers on the edge of their seat while the audacity of what happened blows readers minds along the way. Some of the overall plot questions and events are in the other two books of this series but readers can easily understand what is happening and they will definitely want more.

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44167777-chain-reaction

BookLikes - http://booklikes.com/chain-reaction-rebecca-york/book,13999815

Riffle - https://www.rifflebooks.com/books/1042291

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

An explosion in a secret defense lab changes the lives of three men forever...

His brain was on fire, and he fought going back to the raging inferno of his private hell. Despite the power he now possessed, he couldn’t even remember his name. According to the news, he was Brayden Sloane, former security expert at Cranesbrook Labs, now wanted for murder and kidnapping. He couldn’t remember that, nor the woman who claimed to be his wife. Claire Fanshaw needed Bray to find her friend who'd disappeared following the explosion. Until Bray regained his memory, she'd stick to him like glue. But what would he do when he realized the woman in his bed was a stranger? And what would she do if the cops were right about Bray?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite the power he now possessed he can’t remember his name nor does he remember the woman who claims she is his wife in this thrilling & emotional gritty paranormal romantic suspense. The characters are strong and easily draw readers into their story as they try to uncover the truth behind the events that took place at the defense lab that Bray worked for. The chemistry between Bray and Claire is electrical and has sparks flying in every direction but despite the attraction between them, this romance has a major drawback – Bray has lots his memories which has lots of emotional turmoil flowing from the pages throughout the romance.

The story is fast paced with lots of adrenaline pumping excitement taking place throughout as well as intrigue as the couple search for the missing and for the truth. As the final story in the series, this book answers questions and has some unexpected twists that blow readers away, especially in regards to the deviousness of some people and readers can’t help but get completely caught up in this exciting story as they discover he truth of the explosion in the secret defense lab.

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44057261-triggered-response

BookLikes - http://booklikes.com/triggered-response-patricia-rosemoor/book,13999816

Riffle - https://www.rifflebooks.com/books/1042293

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Security Breach series is multi author romantic suspense series previously published by Harlequin Intrigue. It is now being released.

Chain Reaction is the 1st book in the Security Breach series

Amazon series - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PGR35M1?tag=annvosspeters-20

1 Chain Reaction by Rebecca York
2 Critical Exposure by Ann Voss Peterson
3 Triggered Response by Patricia Rosemoor

AVAILABLE in ebook

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NSGNQ5L?ref_=dbs_mng_calw_0&storeType=ebooks

Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/chain-reaction-security-breach-book-1

iBooks - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/chain-reaction-security-breach-book-1/id1453241820?mt=11&app=itunes&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1007946193?ean=2940161345276

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NRWMTH5?ref_=dbs_mng_calw_2&storeType=ebooks

iBooks - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/triggered-response-security-breach/id1453132717?mt=11

Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/triggered-response-security-breach

B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/books/1008038585?ean=2940155979951

ABOUT THE AUTHORS

Ruth Glick (born 1942) is a best-selling author of healthy cookbooks and has also written dozens of romantic suspense romance novels under the pen name Rebecca York.

Ruth earned a B.A. in American Thought and Civilization from George Washington University and an M.A. in American Studies from the University of Maryland. Although she always wanted to become a writer, Glick was convinced that her lack of spelling skills meant that her goal was unattainable. As a stay-at-home mother, she took a community college course to help her choose a career. The course made it very clear that writing was her primary interest. Glick began writing articles for newspapers and magazines, but after several years decided to try writing fiction. Her first book, a kids' science fiction book, was finally purchased by Scholastic Inc..

Since then, Glick has become a highly successful author of over 50 romantic suspense and paranormal novels. Many of her novels are published under the Harlequin Intrigue line, and in June 2003, she became one of the first authors published under Berkley's new Sensation imprint. Before 1997, she often collaborated with Eileen Buckholtz and Kathryn Jenson.

Glick also is a highly regarded author of cookbooks focusing on healthy eating. She sometimes hires trained chefs to test the recipes that she creates, and makes sure that every recipe is tested at least three times before it appears in one of her cookbooks.

Glick is the head of the Columbia Writers Workshop. She and her husband, Norman Glick, live in Columbia, Maryland, where Ruth collects rocks, and enjoys cooking, walking, reading, gardening, travel, and Mozart operas. They have two grown children, Elissa and Ethan, and two grandsons (Jesse and Leo).

Website - http://www.rebeccayork.com/

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8110.Rebecca_York

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/RuthGlick

Twitter - http://twitter.com/RebeccaYork43

YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/rebeccayorknovels/videos

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/authors/rebecca-york

With 100 novels and more than seven million books in print, New York Times & USA Today bestselling author Patricia Rosemoor is fascinated with "dangerous love" – combining romance with danger. She has written various forms of romantic and paranormal romantic thrillers, bringing a different mix of thrills and chills to her stories.

Website - http://www.patriciarosemoor.com/

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/authors/patricia-rosemoor

review 2019-03-19 07:10
Release Blitz - Play to Win

He only plays to win...
Play to Win by Kelly Jamieson is now live!

B&N (Nook) -- http://bit.ly/2TISY3u

Meet the Wynns—a hockey dynasty built on family, money, and drama. From USA Today bestselling author Kelly Jamieson, the first novel in a new series is a total win-win.

“Kelly Jamieson is an auto-buy for me.”—Carly Phillips

After an injury forced Théo Wynn to give up professional hockey, he turned to his second love: numbers. Now, as the general manager of his grandfather’s NHL team, the Los Angeles Condors, Théo is dying to prove to the rest of his family—especially the brother who betrayed him—that he’s just as successful as the rest of them. If only Théo had a gorgeous woman on his arm to complete the picture. . . .

Lacey Olson needs to get out of Las Vegas right now, thanks to her no-good, crooked brother. When a handsome stranger who’s out partying with friends comes to her rescue in the cocktail lounge where she works, they strike up a conversation that leads to a crazy plan: her leaving with Théo for L.A. tomorrow. A few drinks later, the idea gets even crazier: a quickie marriage that works for both of them.

But back in California, Lacey immediately turns Théo’s precise, well-ordered life into one big beach party. And before long, she’s tempting him with her smart mouth, sexy body, and sunny charm. The last thing Théo needs is a real relationship to distract him. Because he only plays to win. . . .

Play to Win (Wynn Hockey, #1)Play to Win by Kelly Jamieson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Theo gets an unexpected visit from a relative. Not sure what to make of the out-of-the-blue visit, he goes out to celebrate with some of his team friends. That's when he meets the vision he wants to protect.

Lacey is having a really bad day. Her brother stole from her. Then he sold her to some goons he owes money to. What can she do without having to pay his debt? Then she meets the handsome former hockey player with the sexy eyes.

This is a new series by a great author. She is always a sure purchase author. Hockey makes it all the better for me to read. I loved the humor, the suspense, and especially the heat that jumped off the page with this couple. Sexy and sweet, this book was a great read.

***This ARC copy was given in exchange by Netgalley and its publishers, for an honest review.

About Kelly Jamieson:

Kelly Jamieson is a USA Today bestselling author of over 40 romance novels and novellas. Her writing has been described as “emotionally complex”, “sweet and satisfying” and “blisteringly sexy”. She likes black coffee, white wine and high heels…and of course cheering on her Winnipeg Jets during hockey season!

Connect with Kelly:

review 2019-03-19 01:33
Ch6 and Conclusion
Furry Logic: The Physics of Animal Life - Liz Kalaugher,Matin Durrani

If the cuckoo egg hatches first, the early-bird chick pushes its rival eggs out of the nest. Now it can catch the worm – it’s won the undivided attention of its new foster-parents. And if the cuckoo emerges after the host bird’s chicks, it shoves its step-brothers and sisters over the edge to their death.

I had no idea the cuckoo was so hardcore, dang.

the strike rate of one species is more than 94 per cent.

I thought the experiment of seeing if the fish is born with the ability or has to practice was interesting but then saying they only did it once and then ran out of funding kind of gives it a flat ending.

And if your diving buddy is pale, you’ll have noticed their face turn green and their lips blacken as you sink deeper.

Yeah, this is creeeeeepy!

This is one of the disturbing things about doing underwater research, Johnsen says: something can be the size of a 747 Jumbo Jet and only 3m (10ft) away, yet it’s impossible to see. ‘That’s true underwater all the time,’ he adds. ‘Even if the water seems quite clear, you’re never going to see more than about 100m [330ft].

Reading about the depths that some of these creatures live in the ocean (up to 3,300ft for octopus) is a great reminder for how vast ocean life is and how much we do not know about it. I feel like I need to watch the movie Abyss again, lol.

I don't know, I thought this last chapter was the least interesting of all. Maybe light refracting is just not as interesting to me but I felt like there was some whiffing on details and depth. The first half was vastly better to me than this latter half. I thought there was some fascinating information in here but I found myself furthering my research from other sources because this didn't provide enough. However, like I mentioned, I am a visual learner so, I'm naturally more inclined to get more out of YouTube and other videos. Definitely wasn't to technical and would worked great as a baseline informational read. I still can't help feeling the last two to three chapters lost the energy of the first.

Updates with comments and quotes:

Intro & Ch 1

Ch 2 & 3

Ch 4 & 5

Thanks to Flat Book Society for letting me hop into another buddy read!