logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
video 2018-09-02 16:43

review 2018-08-26 15:09
Origin - Dan Brown

“Remember death. Even for those who wield great power, life is brief. There is only one way to triumph over death, and that is by making our lives masterpieces. We must seize every opportunity to show kindness and to love fully.”

When you pick up a Dan Brown Robert Langdon book you know what you're in for. For me this book was a little different, the theme of this book is religion and science. Where do we come from and where are we going??

The previous books have a very standard formula to them, following clues and breadcrumbs to either save someone or mankind itself. This book is a little different, it reminded me more of Da Vinci Code. In Origin, Robert and his companion Ambra Vidal must race across Barcelona to find a password to ensure that the worlds greatest discovery see's the light of day.

There is much less code deciphering than we're used to, and I don't think that is a bad thing, instead they're trying to find a password hidden in a book that could be literally anything. For me it made a slight changes, and I liked it. This book has a much more modern feel, even though still grounded in the rich historical background of Spanish art, religion and royal family. The previous books are more classical art orientated, it makes a nice change.

Everything else you come to expect is still there, the fast paced writing, short chapters, multiple POVs, drip fed information, historical facts and art. For me, this is the ultimate guilty pleasure read. I kept flip flopping with the rating, I can easily settled on 4.5 but for the pure enjoyment and excitement I have to bump it up to a 5.

video 2018-08-12 13:11
Infinite Days - Rebecca Maizel
Oz, the Complete Collection: Dorothy & the Wizard in Oz; The Road to Oz; The Emerald City of Oz Volume 3 - L. F. Baum
The Beast Player - Nahoko Uehashi,Cathy Hirano

review 2018-07-28 20:27
The Beast Player - Nahoko Uehashi,Cathy Hirano

I stood on the edge of that abyss between man and beast and played my harp for you, checking each note, one by one, to see if it would reach you.

The Beast Player is the story of Elin and her bond with Beasts. For years the law between man and Beasts is simple, they will never be loyal to us, they will never be tamed, they will always be wild.

This book went completely in a different direction to where I thought it would go, I expected the typical political/royal secrets thing. Elin to be the girl that breaks all the rules and cause it all to come tumbling down. And this book kind of is that, but it's so much more.

After Elin's mum is murdered by her she is raised by a kind stranger. Before she dies her mother tells her never to control the Beasts as it's a grave sin, years later Elin finds herself in a sanctuary for Royal Beasts and question everything that her mother said and how Beasts are reared in captivity.

This book focuses on Elin's bond with the Beasts and the bonds she makes whilst growing which makes a welcome change to what this book could have been if it was more like the current YA books around. This is truly a beautiful book and would really recommend reading it.

Bookstagram | BookTubeGoodreads | Booklikes