logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-02-28 01:57
ARC review: SAVED BY DARKNESS by Katie Reus (4 out of 5 stars)
Saved by Darkness (Darkness Series) (Volume 6) - Katie Reus

I don’t know what it is about this author’s shifters and demons but I just cannot get enough of them. They are your typical possessive, growling, super sexy sort of supernaturals however the way they are depicted and the voice the author gives them makes all the difference.
Ian and Fiona are both dragon shifters who had to part ways a while ago because her family didn’t approve of their relationship. Cut 50 years later and they get to reunite only to have their time together shortened by evil forces beyond their control.

Like I said, Ian and Fiona are pretty much typical in the sense of that they are alpha by nature but when it came down to do what was right for everyone they were both wiling to relent power for the greater good. That’s another thing I liked about the story; the author was able to tell a believable story where there already was one true leader in the series however she managed to include other alpha characters without stripping power away from the Alpha of the whole pack.
Another favorite part of mine was that we spent more time with old characters and we finally got to meet the “sperm donor” of the half-demon siblings, which by the way are kind of my favorite characters of the whole pack.
All in all I thought it was a great story and I cannot wait to see who the next couple in the series will be. 4 stars.

*** I received this book from the author at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.***

show activity (+)
review 2017-02-27 14:56
Gardenia/Kelsey Sutton
Gardenia - Kelsey Sutton

Kelsey Sutton, winner of a Best Teen Book Award from Kirkus, pens a suspenseful, heartfelt young adult novel, perfect for the readership of Rachel Ward and Kimberly Derting.

Seventeen-year-old Ivy Erickson has one month, twenty-seven days, four hours, fifty-nine minutes, and two seconds to live. Thoughtful and brooding, Ivy has been harboring a secret her entire life—she can see countdown clocks over everyone’s heads, watching their life grow closer and closer to the end with each passing second. She can’t do anything about anyone else’s clock, nor can she do anything about her own, approaching a zero hour before she even graduates high school. A life cut short is tragic, but Ivy tries to make the most of it. She struggles emotionally with her deep love for on-again, off-again boyfriend Myers Patripski. She struggles financially, working outside of school to help her mom and her sister escape the realities of trailer park life. And she struggles to discover who murdered her best friend, another life she couldn’t save. Vanessa Donovan was murdered in the woods, and everyone in town believes it is Ivy who did it. In what time she has left, Ivy must put her own life in order as she pieces together the truth of who ended Vanessa’s.

This book was a lovely excuse to not get out of bed all afternoon, though I did have Nickelback's Savin' Me stuck in my head the entire time...

A delightful mystery, I found myself in suspense through most of the book, which was quite realistic despite the supernatural elements. Ivy's bitter cynicism was ironically a breath of fresh air and I found her voice to be quite unique, for YA. She showed herself to be secretly, underneath it all, optimistic, and I felt like she'd be someone I'd really want to get to know in real life.

The romance was thrilling. I didn't analytically think it would be good due to my detesting of instalove, but the way Ivy talked about her significantly-more-off-than-on boyfriend Myers had my stomach in butterflies. Their history comes out slowly, but it's clear that the emotions Ivy feels are incredibly deep.

I loved the setting of this book. I loved that Ivy lived in a trailer park. I loved that her sister ran a website for men in order to have an income. I loved the nitty gritty elements of the family struggling yet, in one scene, each taking a day off to go bowling together. (Also, they have a parrot. Many kudos to the parrot.) I loved Ivy's art and the role it played.

A true suspense, I didn't see the ending coming until it happened. This was a mystery alongside a coming-of-age story and I was intrigued to read about how Ivy found clues and eventually came to the conclusion she did.

This was solid. Not spectacular, and I felt like there were some deaths that were glossed over, but a solid way to pass an afternoon, and I recommend for YA fans.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

show activity (+)
review 2017-02-27 14:00
#16: The White Rose by Amy Ewing
The White Rose - Amy Ewing

As usual, I find myself not really liking the second book of a trilogy. It's always difficult for me to rate them or to know what to think of them. This one was particularly not to my liking. I mean, I liked to learn more about this world and the plot was great but it just felt flat. There was no real dynamics in the book; I was not captivated by it.

The plot was great: the truth about the Surrogates and about the creation of The Lone City was quite a surprise and I found the idea really good, it quite surprised me, I was not expecting that. But the book was too slow, by the time Violet and her friends find the truth and decide to do something about it, the book is over. I felt like nothing happened during this book and that was the problem with it.

However, there is this really great plot twist at the end that was just amazing! I will definitely read the third book and I hope I will like it more than The White Rose.

review 2017-02-27 04:10
City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare

This is the second book in the Mortal Instruments series. I found the first book to be not so great, but not the worst. This book I really hated much more. I despised the romantic relationships/interests of the main characters Clary and Jace. I didn't really like the way one character becoming a vampire was handled. I love Alec in the television show but dislike him here. I still don't find Jace to be a likable character in either the first or second book. The biggest reason I didn't like this book was that the author dragged everything out so slowly and unnecessarily that I was bored much of the time. The only things I still liked were the characters of Raphael and Magnus and the supernatural world created in the books.

review 2017-02-26 23:07
Whisper of Love - Melissa Foster

Honestly, Whisper of Love is my favorite story involving the Braden family so far. The interactions between the characters and the way the settings are described made me love this story.

Tempest has always been a character I adored, even as a secondary character in the previous stories. She is such a sweet, patient, and caring person. I wanted the best for her. The Bradens are such a close-knit family and I enjoy reading about Tempest's siblings and cousins in this story.

Nash Morgan is a great character. I liked how standoffish he could see, yet he was willing to open up and communicate better for Tempest. He sounds like such an adorable single father who loves his son Phillip.

Phillip is probably one of the main reasons why I love this story so much. He is such a sweet boy who tries to follow in Nash's footsteps. It was very entertaining to see him grow throughout the story. His character made me wish the story had no ending and would keep going.

I received this book through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, I have volunteered to share my review and all the opinions are 100% my own.