logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-23 08:07
The Killer On The Wall
The Killer On The Wall - Emma Kavanagh

It began with the bodies. Indeed it did. The opening of the this new detective story from Emma Kavanagh starts thrilling with the discovery of multiple bodies neatly positioned against Hadrian’s Wall. It’s meant to shock the reader right into the story, but I’ve to admit, that I actually had a hard time getting into it, because after its great opening it slowed down quite a lot.

This story is set twenty years after the events described in the opening chapter. It mainly focuses on the effects it has had on the small community it took place in. Everyone knew the killer, but also the victims. It’s twenty years later and people seem finally ready to leave the past behind and move on. That is, until a new body appears, right against Hadrian’s Wall.

A big part of this story stands or falls with Isla Bell, who did not only discover the first bodies, is the daughter of the police officer who arrested the original killer but also is now the renowned forensic psychologist who’s talking to serial killers and looking at their MRIs. On top of that she’s also married to the brother of one of the victims who himself is the only survivor of the murderer. I very much doubt that given her connections to the case, she would have been allowed to visit him for her study, but either way, that is exactly what happens. The other main character is a young police officer who’s trying to prove her worth, while the older police officers try their best to ignore this.

For some reason, I didn’t connect to the characters. I could feel the uneasiness of the village and its inhabitants, but the main characters, and the people immediately surrounding them somehow slightly annoyed me. The mystery in itself was not enough to fully compensate for this. Still an okay read, but nothing special for me.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-04-23 06:38
March: Book Two by John Lewis
March: Book Two - Andrew Aydin,Nate Powell,John Robert Lewis

This is a disturbing, harrowing, yet beautiful and important continuation to John Lewis's role in the Civil Rights Movement. This continues after his early life within the SNCC and how he became one of the "Big Six" as well as what happened during the March on Washington.

Once again, I do not feel right reviewing this book. As I've said in my previous review, this is our history. This happened. The segregation, the violence, the murders... all of this was experienced by people. Real people. People whose lives were taken from them far too soon because of the blind hatred running rampant during those times... that could still rise up today if we are not careful.

John Lewis is an incredible man for working as hard as he did. Everyone who participated during the movement were all amazing! Every single one of them. From the leaders in the groups to the ones marching in the streets. Every single one of them were brave, incredible, amazing people who risked their lives... and sometimes lost them... in order for us to be here today. Thank you.

I will just reiterate: Please read these graphic novels. If you want to know history, if you want to understand what others went through and sacrificed so that we can have a better future, please read this. Educate yourselves as much as you possibly can. If you want to make a difference, know your history, learn from it, then we can move forward.

review 2017-04-23 05:20
Not again
Confessions of a Former Puck Bunny (Taking Shots) - Cindi Madsen

This is book #4 in the Taking Shots series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  To not read a spoiler, and to understand this really great series, I recommend reading in order.

Lindsay has come a long way to not be like she used to.  Ryder threatens all this because he is still part of the "hockey life" she has left behind her.  As their attraction heats up and she needs his help to cement her future, she struggles with whether she is doing the right thing.

Ryder wanted Lindsay from first sight.  He found her beautiful, smart, and completely amazing.  Winning her over and not being a threat to her new life is a challenge.  He is never one to not get what he goes after.

This series rocks!  Each book just gets better and better.  If you love sports, romance, laughter, and an HEA - this series is a must read!  I happily give it 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given in exchange for an honest review, by Netgalley and its publisher.

review 2017-04-23 05:15
Hit me
Grinder (Seattle Sharks Book 1) - Samantha Whiskey

Bailey has known Gage pretty much her whole life.  Their mothers are best friends.  It seemed inevitable they would become close as well.  He does not seem to know that she is seriously attracted to him.  The problem is she knows he is a player.

Gage has a hard time trusting anyone close.  His past has held a lot of pain.  A life that he does not want his daughter to have to have.  He is choosing who to trust and keep close.  Who he allows around his child.

Very endearing story with some sports thrown in.  I loved these characters and hope to see them again in upcoming books in the Seattle Sharks series.  There was sexy times, silly times, and more.  I give this story a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

review 2017-04-23 05:10
Forbidden
Conduct Unbecoming - L.A. Witt

In the military, and in this case the US Navy, an officer and an enlisted person (sailor) cannot be romantically involved.  It is to protect both parties, as one of them could be said enlisted person's boss.  This is separate from all the don't ask, don't tell stuff they finally got rid of.

Eric & Shane meet off base.  The location is discreet and they do not exchange names.  When they see one another again, there is more at stake.  They both know it.  Shane is an officer.

Shane has a lot to lose if they are caught.  He also knows he has not met anyone like Eric, and might never again.  This choice pulls at him until he just can't fight anymore.

This story tugs at your heartstrings.  It made me feel for both characters.  I was rooting for them right from the start.  There is a little bit of everything in this book.  The humor, the travel, the sparks flying.... just overall a great story.  I give it a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!