logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-12 22:05
Love with a Notorious Rake (Men of Wollstonecraft Hall #3) by Karyn Gerrard
Love with a Notorious Rake - Karyn Gerrard

Love with a Notorious Rake - Karyn Gerrard

You now that feeling when you already like an author's work and then you read their newest and you're totally reminded of why you like it? This was a perfect example of it for me.

With a course hovering over his head, Aidan has spent his entire adult life in debauchery. His last stint lands him in the care of Cristyn's father's sanatorium, where she acts as kind of a physician's aid to her father. He and Cristyn form a friendship that eventually transforms into more but because of Aiden's reservations they end up parting ways.

I loved Cristyn's openness and candor. She still behaved as a proper lady however that never stopped her from acknowledging her feelings, speaking her mind, and demanding the respect she knew she deserved.
I found Aiden's true feelings touching and the perfect basis for his addictions. There was honesty in what he did and as a character he grew immensely, trying to make up for past mistakes, and by taking up on his family's radical ideas of helping those in need. He was frank about his mistakes and totally owned them. I particularly loved how he handled his association with an old paramour, which in the eyes of his society would have been total ruin, possibly even worse.

Other characters from previous books make appearances here giving us glimpses of Aidan as part of a loving family. It also provided a sort of epilogue for the other men of Wollstonecraft stories, which I always consider a treat. Overall, I thought it was an endearing, charming, and unique story. I would recommend this series and author to anyone that enjoys history along with their romance.

* I received a copy of this story at no cost to me; this is my honest opinion and in no way was it influenced by the author or publisher. *

review 2018-12-12 18:44
In A Dark Alley, They Meet – Dark Remnants by L K Hill #LKHill
Dark Remnants (Street Games #1) - L.K. Hill

Oh man, no way could I resist Dark Remnants by L K Hill. I love covers that have an eye on them. Are they really the doorway into someone’s soul?

Cover Art:  Kealan Patrick Burke

Dark Remnants (Street Games #1)

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Lovin’ that eye on the cover and it makes me feel like someone is watching me.Could it be the female protagonist, Kyra, or Gabe, the detective? Well, I say we all hook up and do some sleuthing.

Abstreuse City is a very dangerous place. L K Hill does a great job describing it. the homeless, the garbage, the smells and the dark, the pimps and the prostitutes.

Kyra and Gabe’s path collide when she finds out about a plan to turn the cops raid of a drug house into a slaughter house. She knew she had to intervene. And…could they be looking for the same person?

I’m not sure who Kyra is looking for, or why she is so curious about the dead prostitute, but I will find out.

I wasn’t sure if this would grab me like it did with the funny names, like Slip Mire, but I quickly got involved. Dark Remnants is fast paced and action packed, just the way I like it.

Kyra is hard as nails and quick on her feet, yet able to win the trust of others.She is able to read people, using it to her advantage. She looked like a junkie, from her spiky black hair to her black clothes with the hoodie and the track marks inside her elbows. Her eyes are so blue you couldn’t overlook them and she wears makeup to create a sickly pallor. She does no whining and crying, just has an intense desire to get the job done. Love a strong female character!

I love it!

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Dark Remnants by L K Hill.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos   4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/in-a-dark-alley-they-meet-dark-remnants-by-l-k-hill-lkhill
review 2018-12-12 16:13
SEASON'S READINGS Santa's On His Way anthology

Santa's on His WaySanta's On His Way anthology
By Lisa Jackson, Maisey Yates, Stacy Finz, Nicole Helm

What the Cowboy Wants for Christmas: Maisey YatesMeg, Charlie, and Noah all met as teens living in the same foster home. Meg fell instantly in love with Charlie for the last thirteen years she's waited for him, waited to be old enough, waited for him to get a good job, waited for him to come home from New York but this year she decided to stop waiting especially after finding him in bed with another woman. Noah has been a constant in Meg's life and has been in love with her for just as long and finally this year is the year he has his chance to finally show Meg how he feels.

Overall, it was a really nice and steamy read with lots of emotion. Meg looks back on her life and sees things differently than she use too and once she gets all that figured out everything falls into place.

Snowed In: Stacy Finz
My favorite of the book! I absolutely love Glory Junction. As soon as I read in the last Glory Junction book the animosity between Rachel and Boden I knew this was going to be great. Rachel Johnson left her big city corporate lawyer job to pursue her dream of being a baker. Now she owns a fantastic bakery and is looking to expand and she knows just the place. Boden Farmer turned the tired old bar into a gastro pub and he has plans to expand himself but in the meantime he's working the bar for parties which brings him in close proximity to Rachel. They are both prepping for the Christmas Day wedding when they get snowed in. With no distractions standing in their way they finally drop their walls low enough to let each other in but their is still the matter that they both want the same location for their business.

Overall, I loved this one. It's a quick and easy read with funny situations and loveable characters. Rachel has been burned once before so she's hesitant to let anyone else in it takes a grand gesture from Boden to show her he's worth the risk.

A Cowboy Wedding for Christmas: Nicole Helm
Lindsay Tyler dreamed of leaving her hometown behind and she did she left after high school and vowed never to come back. Cal Barton thought he was enough for Lindsay, that she would stay for him and when she left town she broke his heart. After six years of living life on her own Lindsay is homesick she's had her time to grow up and discover who she really is and that person belongs with her family. When her brother gets engaged and she comes home for the wedding she's staying home for good. Now she just has to make it through the wedding at Cal's Christmas Tree Ranch without falling back in love with him.

Overall, this was a nice emotional read about how sometimes to need to be apart and discover who you are away from the comforts of home to really appreciate the place where you belong.

A Baby For Christmas: Lisa Jackson
1995 Annie McFarlane is newly divorced when her husband's girlfriend ends up pregnant. After discovering she may never be able to conceive and then her husband leaving Annie was having a horrible year. 1996 Liam O'Shaughnessy needs to find the real killer of his boss before he gets convicted of murder his only lead is the woman who claimed she saw him there but she's disappeared but he's found her sister. Annie found solace in a small house in the middle of nowhere looking after an older couple ranch. Her plan was to stay a few more days before going to visit her brother and his family but late one night she discovers a baby on her front step with a note "For you Annie". The next night Liam shows up at her door claiming the baby is his and demands to know where her sister, the baby's mother, is but Annie has no idea and with a blizzard blowing in they are stuck together to work it out.

Overall, this one fell short. I love Lisa Jackson's older stuff and this feels like it's only half a book. It feels like there is so much missing from this story. I love the idea of it and the plot and if there is a full version of this story out there I want to read it but this as is is lacking.

review 2018-12-11 15:19
Borrowing Trouble (A Nugget Romance Book 6) - Stacy Finz
Heating Up - Stacy Finz
Falling Hard - Stacy Finz
Riding High - Stacy Finz

Tempting Fate (Nugget #10)Nugget #10, I don't know if I ever said it in one of my reviews but I know I thought that I wouldn't care if Raylene ever got her own HEA, but I'm glad she did. She's the person everyone loves to hate and she finally meets someone who sees behind all the shine and snootiness and saw the head strong determined woman who regrets everything she did to the town she once loved; especially hurting the two people who loved her the most and now she's lost everything. She can't forgive herself because the town won't forgive her. I think this is one of those books that is best when you've read the other books in the series, but Raylene does have some flashbacks of her worst moments that fill in the blanks, or you can read Getting Lucky and Falling Hard those are the two with her story in them.

Gabe Moretti runs a business with Raylene's half brother, Logan. Logan asks Gabe to keep an eye on Raylene since she's not the most loved person in Nugget he wants to make sure she stay out of trouble and had back-up if she needs it. Gabe has heard the rumors about Raylene and it's not hard for him to believe it all but he finds it hard that the people from a the town that so far has been welcome and inviting can hate someone so much. Raylene has two things she wants to accomplish after Logan and Annie's wedding before she can finally move on from Nugget and never look back, find the gold her ancestor buried and sell off the last remaining plot of her family's land. After she finds her gold and sells off the land she can give the women's shelter she's been volunteering at the money they need to stay open and finally have enough start up money to start her own horse training ranch. But she has to find the gold first and Gabe insists on helping. Little things keep happening that raises suspicion that Raylene isn't the only ones out there looking for the gold.

Overall, this was a really good read. It was emotional not only between Raylene and Gabe but between her and the town she did some pretty low and horrible things and you can tell how much she regrets do them it really showed how much Raylene had changed since the beginning. The end was very exciting. I was surprised by how quickly the whole town flipped on their feelings for Raylene but hate isn't the opposite of love and they all loved her once they just needed something to love her for that was enough to forgive her of her past sins.

review 2018-12-11 11:00
Book Tour & Giveaway with Excerpt & Review! No Cowboys No Angles (Mystery Angel Romance #1) Petie McCarty!

Hello READERS! Today we have Petie McCarty joining us to tell us all about her the first book in her new romantic suspense series – No Cowboys No Angels! Don’t forget to enter the giveaway!

ABOUT THE BOOK

No Cowboys No Angels
The Mystery Angel Romances Book 1
by Petie McCarty
Genre: Romantic Suspense

Kellen Brand's inheritance turns out to be a whopper—one dilapidated farm in West Virginia and one guardian angel!

Since Kellen is convinced no sane woman would choose to live in Riverside, she vows to sell her farm and quick. Her handsome neighbor Luke Kenyon must block the farm sale or risk exposure of his family's secrets. While Kellen has located one potential buyer, she faces a town full of objectors. Someone is trying to frighten her off, and Luke is forced to step in and rescue her more than once.

Unfortunately, Kellen can't seem to stay out of trouble. She stumbles onto a clandestine hazardous-waste-dumping operation next to her farm, and she prays Luke has one more rescue up his sleeve. It's her only hope of staying alive.

Unless her mother really did leave her a guardian angel …

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This mystery romance keeps readers in suspense regarding the romance and the mysterious angels all the way through the steady to fast paced plot. The characters are strong, compelling and easily draw readers into their story which is a pretty rocky romance as this relationship starts off on the wrong foot. The heroine and hero both have some communication issues and the heroine is a bit hard to relate to in some circumstances because she has such contradicting traits. On one hand some of her issues are easily understood and her motivations make sense but then in regards to others they aren’t really clear but the she keep readers interested in what’s happening. The sparks flying between Luke and Kellan keeps the relationship on the edge as readers can never guess whether those sparks are going to lead to another clash of wills or a steamy kiss.

The suspense of the relationship also builds due to another suitor for Kellan, one she has a past with and is still close to. The danger and excitement of the story comes from some unscrupulous characters that won’t hesitate to do violence and a mean spirited sheriff. Readers are kept guessing whether there really is a guardian angel and just who he or she is. While some of the events that happen during the excitement and danger of the story is a little on the predictable side, the story is most entertaining and during all the revelations made toward the end of the story readers will want to read the next intriguing mystery in the series.

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/42766475-no-cowboys-no-angels

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/books/no-cowboys-no-angels-the-mystery-angel-romances-book-1-by-petie-mccarty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No Cowboys No Angels is the 1st book in the Mystery Angel Romance series.

Goodreads – https://www.goodreads.com/series/160471-mystery-angel-romances

2 No Angels for Christmas (April 2019)
3 The Angel and the SEAL (June 2019)

AVAILABLE in ebook

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JQ7NVRC

EXCERPT 1

The frigid water closed in over Kellen, and she lashed out with both arms to force her head above the surface for a desperate breath. Her hiking boots would sign her death warrant. They already felt like concrete blocks. She had only minutes, maybe seconds, to keep herself afloat. She thrashed again, and this time her face barely cleared the water’s surface. She was ready and screamed with all her might.

Icy water filled her eyes, and her arms stroked har to keep her mouth above the water long enough to grab a precious lungful of air. She scissored her legs to help her dwindling buoyancy, but the physical act was so difficult with the boots on, her muscles screamed with the effort.

How many more times can I get a breath? Two, maybe three?

Her arm muscles strained in revolt as she scissored her legs again. She plummeted farther after each thrust, and her best effort barely pushed her mouth and nose above the surface. She didn’t scream again. There was no one around to hear, and she couldn’t spare the strength. Less than a minute had passed since she’d hit the freezing water.

Downward she stroked her arms hard, but the heavy flannel shirt dragged against the motion. She opened her eyes to see the surface, and at the peak of her thrust, her lips were still underwater. She tried to scissor her legs, but she had nothing left. She feared she would sink and flailed both arms upward. Death hovered at her shoulder, near as the blackest of shadows beneath the dock, tangible enough that she could reach out and touch the darkness. Another stroke downward, and she jerked her head back, ready to grab a breath. She could see a blurred shadow moving overhead. Hope buoyed her efforts to escape from the frigid arms of the river drawing her down, and she forced her way to the surface.

A huge hand plunged into the icy water and grabbed her right arm. Kellen felt her body straining toward the surface. The second her mouth was exposed to the air, she gasped for a breath. A cough wracked her frame and threatened the tenuous hold of the mighty hand on her arm. She sunk back down, her eyes filled with water, and her vision blurred. She knew she weighed a ton—with the soaked clothing and boots—and panicked thinking the hand couldn’t hold on. Yet she was dragged higher until another hand grabbed the back of her shirt, and her body careened up and sideways onto the deck. The mighty hands released her, and she clutched at the wooden planks to be sure she was far enough from the precipice to the icy water. She heaved two successive gasps, and a hard sob wracked her frame.

Two strong arms tugged her upright. She blinked rapidly to clear her blurred vision and saw Luke’s face, his dark eyes wide. Nothing had ever looked so good to her in all her life. With another hard sob, she threw herself into his arms and broke into tears. The brush with death shattered all her resolve and kindled emotions buried in the deepest recesses of her heart.

He yanked her roughly to him and clutched her tight to his chest, mumbling soothing words into her ear. His warmth seeped into her, and she clung to him like her lifeline, digging her fingers into his back, unwilling to let go and unable to stop crying.

“I almost d-drowned,” she stuttered, her face buried against his warm and now soaked chest.

“Good Lord, I know,” he rumbled and crushed her even tighter against him.

“If you had been a minute later,” she wheezed and tried to look up at him.

“Don’t even think that!”
She flinched and leaned back. His gaze looked hard and unyielding.

“Just be glad I got here in time,” he whispered harshly, and his eyes went black as onyx. He cupped her cheeks, lowered his mouth, and gently brushed his lips against hers.

The sizzle of heat shot straight to her heart and warmed her from the inside out. All she could manage was a nod. His kiss twisted all her wild emotions into a spinning vortex, allowing her only to react without thought, and she leaned in to kiss him again.

$15 gift card and 5 Duke du Jour ebooks

Follow the tour HERE for exclusive content and a giveaway!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Petie spent a large part of her career working at Walt Disney World -- "The Most Magical Place on Earth" -- where she enjoyed working in the land of fairy tales by day and creating her own romantic fairy tales by night, including her new series, The Cinderella Romances. She eventually said good-bye to her "day" job to write her stories full-time. These days Petie spends her time writing sequels to her regency time travel series, Lords in Time, and her cozy-mystery-with-a-dash-of-romantic-suspense series, the Mystery Angel Romances.

Petie shares her home on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee with her horticulturist husband, a spoiled-rotten English Springer spaniel addicted to pimento-stuffed green olives, and a noisy Nanday conure named Sassy who made a cameo appearance in Angel to the Rescue.

Website - http://www.petiemccarty.com/

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/petie.mccarty

Twitter - https://twitter.com/authorpetie

Pintrest - https://www.pinterest.com/petiemccarty

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/author/petiemccarty

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6094579.Petie_McCarty

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

THANKS FOR JOINING US WITH NEWS OF THE GREAT NEW BOOK, PETIE MCCARTY!

THANKS FOR VISITING, READERS!
HOPE YOU FOUND A GREAT BOOK TO ADD TO YOUR SHELVES!