logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: review
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-26 17:14
A Good Rake is Hard to Find - The book that made me love historical romance again!
A Good Rake is Hard to Find - Manda Collins

Review first appeared on A Weebish Book Blog.

I purchased this book at a time when I was in a historical romance slump because I knew it would be just the novel I would love the minute I found myself interesting in reading the genre again. I was not wrong in thinking this and thanks to Manda Collins I am now craving even more from this genre — and more from the Lords of Anarchy.

A DUKE IS HARD TO FIND by Manda Collins is a heart -touching historical romance about the once engaged Leonora Craven and Lord Frederick Lisle, forced to reunite to solve the suspicious death of Leonora’s twin and Freddy’s dear friend, Johnny. This historical romance is the first novel in the Lords of Anarchy series, a book that has sat on my TBR list for over a year.

Miss Leonora Craven is a poetess and a bluestocking past the “age of marriage” (boy do I hate that phrase) when she seeks out her old flame to demand his help. She is witty, strong-willed, and not afraid to speak out about controversial topics to change societal justice. Though she has flaws like the rest of us mere mortals, she is not afraid to admit she’s wrong. It is nice to see character growth in a strong female lead, especially since it doesn’t happen as often as it should in romance.

“Freddy” aka Lord Fredrick Isle was also a character I was very fond of. He is rather ashamed of his past as a rake, and it was a struggle for him to go undercover as a Lord of Anarchy when all he wanted was to prove he’s changed. However, he’d do anything for the man who was like a brother to him — even if it meant getting close to the woman who broke his heart.

The main characters were well rounded and tugged at my heart strings. They’ve been through so much and came out damaged, but resilient. I also liked the secondary characters – the two living close friends of Freddy AND Leonora’s two close friends. I cannot wait to read their stories next!

I recommend this novel to historical romance lovers and those who are knew to the genre. This is the perfect novel to for those who are curious to see if historical romance is right for them — just remember to keep the tissues handy!

review 2017-06-26 16:31
Review – The Future Is Now – Fracture Point by Jeff Altabef @JeffAltabef @novelpublicity
Fracture Point (A Point Thriller Book 1) - Jeff Altabef,Lane Diamond

Fracture Point by Jeff Altabef is not my first foray into his worlds and I can say for a fact that it will not be my last.

Fracture Point made me feel as if our future was held be

tween the pages…and it is frightening.

The release date is set for June 26, 2017.

Cover by D Robert Pease

Fracture Point

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Let me start by saying, make sure you have no plans…nowhere to go, nothing to do…because once you start reading, Fracture Point will take you down a path that will not let you go until the last word is read.

Is this what the future holds for us?

Warren Scott, well, he got my attention from the opening chapter and I felt nothing good was going to come from knowing him. He has a secret and he won’t share…yet. There is nothing he won’t do to win and revels in the evil he doles out to anyone who crosses him…or sometimes just because it feels good. Psychopath is too nice a word for him.

Jack is working a banquet for the richy rich and was hooking up with one of their wives. He was after info, but got more than he bargained for when he found a flash drive.

Once their paths cross, others become involved in the race to save Jack’s life and their own, running at a frenetic pace, making me worry and fret, wondering who will survive.

Fracture Point is a frightening glimpse into America’s future…voters rights taken away, the poor are discounted as lesser human beings, and terrorism is used to create fear and manipulate the people. Does any of this ring a bell?

They are at a Fracture Point, the point where a spark can set their world ablaze.

Fracture Point hits all the buttons for a heart pumping, blood boiling, terrorizing suspense thriller that smacks of realism, with big business and the 1% taking everything and leaving nothing for the 99% struggling to survive.

Is this what OUR world is coming to? Will it take a Civil War to wake up the leaders? What happens when the American Dream is dead, there is no hope left and we feel backed into a corner with nothing to lose?

CAUTION – Kindle is at risk of being thrown.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of Fracture Point by Jeff Altabef.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 5 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

A mysterious scarlet haired jazz singer.

A rebel on a motorcycle.

And a killer with a penchant for torture.

Food is scarce, good jobs the rarity, and big brother is watching everyone. Will Jack and Tom’s family be torn apart in the mayhem, and how far will one brother go to save the other’s life?

In 2041, America is rife with ghettos and armed checkpoints, and poverty runs rampant.

A bloody civil war is brewing, and everyone will be forced to take a side. Education is the only way out of a life where you’re never sure where your next meal will come from, or what you’ll have to do to get it. Tom aced his assessment tests and scored an education contract, giving him a way out of poverty. Jack isn’t so lucky.

When Jack, a spy for a rebel fraction, goes missing, only his brother Tom can unravel the mystery of his disappearance. He will risk everything to save his brother from Warren, a killer who enjoys torturing his victims and making them beg for mercy. On a mission, Tom plunges into a world filled with mystery and danger. When he also discovers that his family has been keeping secrets from him—secrets that threaten to doom them all—he doesn’t know whom to trust.

Tom must break every rule he’s lived by, and go head-to-head with a psychopath if he’s to have any chance of saving his brother—and just maybe, keep America from reaching the fracture point.

ABOUT JEFF ALTABEF

Jeff Altabef is an award-winning author who lives in New York with his wife, two daughters, and Charlie the dog. He spends time volunteering at the writing center in the local community college. After years of being accused of “telling stories,” he thought he would make it official. He writes in both the thriller and young adult genres.

In the Young Adult genre, Jeff co-authored the Chosen Trilogy with his teenaged daughter, Erynn. The Chosen Series has won multiple awards including the 2015 Readers’ Favorite Gold Medal for Best Coming of Age Novel, the 2015 Beverly HIlls Book Award for Best YA Fiction, and a Mom’s Choice Award.

As an avid Knicks fan, Jeff is prone to long periods of melancholy during hoops season. Jeff has a column on The Examiner focused on writing and a blog designed to encourage writing by those who like telling stories.

You can connect with Jeff on his website, Facebook, Twitter & Newsletter.

MY REVIEWS FOR JEFF ALTABEF

Red Death

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/early-review-the-future-is-now-fracture-point-by-jeff-altabef-jeffaltabef-novelpublicity
review 2017-06-26 08:05
Release Event w/Review - Call To Engage

The Poseidon team are hard-bodied, fiercely competitive Navy SEALs. But when a sensitive mission goes disastrously wrong, three of the team's finest will have to trust their hearts and instincts to uncover the truth…CALL TO ENGAGE will delight fans of UNDER PRESSURE by Lori Foster and A SEAL’S PLEDGE by Cora Seton!

About Call to Engage:

Genres: Contemporary Romance/Romantic Suspense/Military Romance

ISBN: (Digital) 9781460397886
ISBN: (Print)
9780373801961

Lieutenant Elijah Prescott should be spending his precious leave somewhere with sun, surf and scantily clad women. Instead, he's heading home with two goals in mind. Figure out exactly how his last assignment went to hell and almost killed him—and reconnect with the woman who might offer salvation.

Ava Monroe has streamlined her life, eliminating every source of pain—including a marriage touched by tragedy. One glimpse of her ex and those good intentions turn to bad-girl desires. Her strategy: get over Elijah by getting under him again, sating herself until she can finally let go. But as betrayal within the rank of the SEALs turns deadly, there's no denying that her heart and her life are on the line. Elijah is the only man who can protect both…

Add to your TBR list: Goodreads

Available Online:

Amazon | Harlequin | Kobo | B&N | iBooks

Excerpt:

An excerpt from CALL TO ENGAGE

Copyright © Tawny Weber 2017

Incredible.

That was the only word in his head as the aftershocks trembled through their bodies.

Incredible.

And then he came down.

Not in a nice, slow, gentle descent, either.

Nope, he crashed like a plane plummeting from the sky to ram into a mountainside.

He’d just had sex.

With Ava.

His ex-wife. The only woman he’d ever loved. The only one he’d ever wanted to love. The one who’d broken his heart into tiny little pieces and tossed them aside.

Shit.

His body still slick with sweat, the scent of Ava wrapped around him like a second skin, Elijah wondered if she realized that while extracting her promise of no regrets, he hadn’t offered the same.

After all, Elijah knew just how pointless promises could be. Especially the ones between him and Ava.

His body spent, his mind worn, he couldn’t find anything left to offer up on the altar of past regrets, though. He wrapped his arm tighter around her shoulders. Ava responded by snuggling closer, her thigh nestled between his as she shifted her chin into the indention where his shoulder met his chest. Her breath fluttered over his throat, soft and easy in sleep.

Regret?

Oh yeah, he knew he’d regret this in the morning. Hell—he glanced out the window, gauging the time from the angle of the moon—it was nearing dawn and the regret was already winding through him. Shoving aside pleasure, easing out satisfaction.

Closing his eyes against it, he drifted into sleep with her hand entwined with his, the twisted band of her ring rubbing gently between his fingers.

And he knew it for the talisman it was, the hope that lifted him from his nightmares.

If only for tonight.

Because nobody knew better than Elijah that tonight was all they had.

Call to Engage (Team Poseidon #2)Call to Engage by Tawny Weber
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the 2nd book in the Team Poseidon series. This book can be read as a standalone novel. For reader enjoyment and understanding of the series & characters, I recommend reading this fast paced series in order.

Elijah has a lot going on at work and in his personal life. He comes home to rest, and runs smack into his ex. He may be ready to make major changes in his life. If only he could decide between the professional and the personal that haunt him.

Ava is completely turned upside down to see her ex-husband. Too many memories just bombard her at the sight of him. Can she forgive and forget? It is obvious they still feel something for one another.... and hopefully they won't set anything but themselves on fire with all this heat.

Such an incredible series! This book shows that not only is this series getting hotter, but the author just kicks it up a notch with each story. I felt for the characters in this book. I could tell they needed one another. And...the sparks.... well let's just say you may want to read this on with the fan facing you. Something for everyone in this story.

***This ARC copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

About Tawny Weber:

New York Times and USA TODAY Bestselling author of more than forty books, Tawny Weber loves writing about sexy heroes, most notably her popular Navy SEALs series. Her sassy, emotional romances are filled with men dedicated to being the best—and women determined to have the best. Tawny credits her ex-military alpha husband for inspiration in her writing, and in her life. The recipient of numerous writing accolades, including Romantic Times Reviewers Choice and in addition to the NY Times and USA Today bestseller lists, Tawny has also hit the number one spot on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

A homeschooling mom, Tawny enjoys scrapbooking, gardening and spending time with her family and dogs in her Northern California home.

Connect with Tawny:

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Rafflecopter for Call to Engage Blitz Tour Giveaway:

One (1) lucky winner a $25 Amazon Gift Card! To enter, simply fill out the Rafflecopter below:

a Rafflecopter giveaway

Direct Link:

review 2017-06-26 05:37
Complicated
Lost and Found Sisters - Jill Shalvis

Quinn has suffered a tragic loss with her sister now gone for two years.  The news she gets that sets her back even more, causes her to go looking for the why.  Arriving in the sleepy town, she finds there is someone else who suffered a loss that needs her.

Mick is just back visiting his mother.  Trying to help her move on from the pain and the house that haunts them both.  Meeting Quinn makes staying in town a bit more exciting.  She is in need of a steady hand, and it could be his that helps her up.

Sweet and fragile are two words I thought while reading this novel.  It has many great pieces that make it fun and still the author's work.  I just found it a bit slower than the norm.  The high points were the sexy times and the banter.  You should never miss those.  I give this story a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-06-26 05:21
Hurts so good
Call to Engage: A Romance Novel (Seal Brotherhood Novel) - Tawny Weber

This is the 2nd book in the Team Poseidon series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader enjoyment and understanding of the series & characters, I recommend reading this fast paced series in order.

Elijah has a lot going on at work and in his personal life.  He comes home to rest, and runs smack into his ex.  He may be ready to make major changes in his life.  If only he could decide between the professional and the personal that haunt him.

Ava is completely turned upside down to see her ex-husband.  Too many memories just bombard her at the sight of him.  Can she forgive and forget?  It is obvious they still feel something for one another.... and hopefully they won't set anything but themselves on fire with all this heat.

Such an incredible series!  This book shows that not only is this series getting hotter, but the author just kicks it up a notch with each story.  I felt for the characters in this book.  I could tell they needed one another.  And...the sparks.... well let's just say you may want to read this on with the fan facing you.  Something for everyone in this story.  I give this book a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.