logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-26 16:21
This time around, it's not a gender thing...
Rank & File - L.A. Witt

or even really an age thing...nope, this time around it's all about the 'Rank & File'.

'Rank & File' is the fourth book in L. A. Witt's 'Anchor Point' series and so far I've enjoyed them all. But this one's got a little bit of a twist to it...one that probably wouldn't occur to a lot of people. You see, Senior Chief Will Curtis is enlisted and he's got his eye on the prize making Master Chief after 30 years of enlistment and Lieutenant Brent Jameson is a navy brat who's graduated from Annapolis with a life in the military laid out for him. A life that he's never questioned but one that's slowly suffocating him.

Will and Brent meet under less than auspicious circumstances and while both men feel a definite physical attraction. They also know it's neither the time nor the place to act on that attraction and then there's the whole issue of fraternization...because while DADT may have been repealed fraternization between officers and enlisted is still a career ender in the military.

Only it's a week later and neither man has been able to stop thinking about the other and a chance encounter at local bar only reaffirms that they liked what they'd seen and really one night to get it out of their systems isn't going to hurt anyone right? As long as no one finds out and it's only one night...right? Until it isn't because neither man is ready to walk away.

This ones strong on the sex but given that this a relationship that starts based on mutual physical attraction, would you honestly expect anything different? I know I didn't but for me this was a case of the sex being a part of the story and not just a lot of gratuitous sex for the sake of sex. This was a relationship that didn't start with 'love at first sight'...but 'lust at first sight' and from there as these two men came together they got to know each other, find out about each other and take comfort in each other allowing other feelings to develop and grow until they were both blindsided with the knowledge that their hearts were involved and walking away would mean more than losing a 'friend with benefits' it would mean losing the man they'd come to love.

The choice between love and career isn't a new one to a lot of people...military or not, but it can be one of the hardest ones a person can make and I have to admit I held my breath for a while as I devoured this story wanting to know how these two men would ever find their happily ever after and in the end I wasn't disappointed. It took some time, personal growth on the part of both men and definitely hard decisions and change were involved but in the end for me it was the decision that I think made the most sense and probably the one that I'd been hoping for in my heart.

I've enjoyed the stories in this series so far and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what comes next in this series...'Anchor Point' is definitely recommended if you like stories about broken alpha males in the military who have what it takes to deal with whatever life throws their way as they pull themselves up, put themselves back together and fight for the love they never thought they'd find.

********************

An ARC of 'Rank & File' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

text 2017-09-26 01:38
Series Tour for Cavanagh - Serenity Series, Vols. 1 & 2 by Eden Butler

Title: Cavanagh - Serenity Series, Vols. 1 & 2
Series: Serenity Series
Author: Eden Butler
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: September 26, 2017

Home is where your heart lives; it’s where you find your center. Even if sometimes it takes years to admit that truth.

For these four lifelong friends, the sleepy town of Cavanagh, Tennessee—rich in Irish history and diverse culture—is the softest place to fall. Here they forgive and move forward. Here they love fiercely. Here they endure.

Welcome to Cavanagh, where rugby is king, Guinness is mandatory and family has nothing to do with blood.

Eden Butler is an editor and writer of Mystery, Suspense and Contemporary Romance novels and the nine-times great-granddaughter of an honest-to-God English pirate. This could explain her affinity for rule breaking and rum.

When she’s not writing or wondering about her possibly Jack Sparrowesque ancestor, Eden patiently waits for her Hogwarts letter, edits, reads and spends way too much time watching rugby, Doctor Who and New Orleans Saints football.

She is currently living under teenage rule alongside her husband in southeast Louisiana.

Please send help.

HOSTED BY:
text 2017-09-26 01:11
Release Tour for Saving Jace by Rebecca Rivard

Title: Saving Jace
Series: A Fada Novel, Book 4
Author: Rebecca Rivard
Genre: Paranormal Romance (Sexy/Steamy)
(Can Be Standalone)
Release Date: September 25, 2017

Discover USA Today bestselling author Rebecca Rivard’s steamy world of dark shifters and sexy fae.

THE DARKTIME ISN’T OVER…

Jace Jones, a Baltimore earth fada lieutenant, lost nearly his entire family in the clan war known as the Darktime. Scarred by the deaths, he pours his soul into rebuilding the clan. The only person who has a claim on his heart is his niece. Then an attack by a night fae assassin leaves him dying on a human’s doorstep…

Tough, edgy Evie Morningstar is doing her best to raise a teenage brother on a waitress’s pay. She has no time for men—until the sexy jaguar shifter is stabbed just steps from her house. Evie hides Jace from the night fae, saving his life—only to find that both she and her brother have been drawn into the fada’s dangerous world.

And the Darktime isn’t over…

THE FADA.

Shapeshifters created during Dionysus’s infamous bacchanals.
They’re dark, ruthless, untamed—and when they love, it’s forever.

Note to bloggers: Saving Jace (A Fada Novel, Book 4) begins the Baltimore Earth Fada Clan trilogy within the Fada Shapeshifters world and is a standalone book with an HEA.

“A steamy, spellbinding romance with phenomenal pacing and distinctive dialogue...” ~InD'Tale Magazine (5-star Crowned Review)

“I devoured this book…” ~Rebel N Angel’s Book Blog

“Nisio and Ula’s story was everything I wanted and more. Holy cow, they just sizzled off the page...” ~Nerd Girl Book Blog

Someone was watching her.
Evie gripped her keys and glanced around.
The watcher was standing in the shadows across the alley. His eyes gave him away: a faint, luminous green.
Her heart kicked into a gallop. “Jace?” she called. “Is that you?”
Please let it be him.
He stepped out of the shadows. She blew out a breath. It was Jace.
He crossed the alley in a few long, loose strides. An atavistic tremor went down her spine. This was the real Jace—and he was nothing like the injured, feverish victim of last week. No, this man was dark. Powerful. Raw-boned. A panther in a T-shirt and jeans.
She squared her shoulders and lifted her chin, because damn it, she’d saved the man’s life. She refused to let him spook her.
He stopped a few feet away. “Hello, Evie.”

He was bigger than she remembered, but then, last week he’d been hunched over nursing his injuries. Now she realized he was a good half foot taller than her with the lean, hard build of a soldier. Another shiver went down her spine—but this one had nothing to do with fear.

USA TODAY bestselling author Rebecca Rivard read way too many romances as a teenager, little realizing she was actually preparing for a career. She now spends her days with dark shifters, sexy fae and alpha vampires—which has to be the best job ever. Her books have twice been awarded the prestigious Crowned Review from InD'Tale Magazine, and her novel Tempting the Dryad (#3, Fada Shapeshifters) is a 2017 RONE Finalist. Her novel Stealing Ula: A Fada Shapeshifter Prequel was a 2017 Finalist for the coveted PRISM Award given by RWA’s Fantasy, Futuristic & Paranormal Romance Chapter.

HOSTED BY:

review 2017-09-25 18:45
The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume Two- edited by James Jenkins & Ryan Cagle
The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume Two - Nevil Shute,Mary Elizabeth Braddon,Michael P. Kube-McDowell

Once again, the gentlemen over at Valancourt Books knocked their anthology out of the park-maybe even out of the state! Last year's Volume 1, (click to read my review), was outstanding and Volume 2 is as well. My favorites of this volume are as follows:

Stephen Gregory's never before published: "The Boys Who Wouldn't Wake Up" was poignant and, in a way, beautiful. It was also very much unlike any other Gregory story I've read. I'm a huge fan of this author and this tale did NOT disappoint.

"The Nice Boys" by Isabel Colegate was a spectacularly eerie story, set in a relentlessly foggy Venice, Italy. A young woman heads there to vacation away a recent bad break up and meets two young men. As the tension grows the reader is drawn in, but the vivid and disturbing scene towards the end ensures this story will not soon be forgotten.

"Herself" by M.E. Braddon involved two of my favorite tropes-haunted houses and haunted mirrors. I'm not sure which it was, exactly,  but I'm going with  a combination of the two. I love these types of stories-where people are called in to help but are rendered helpless by circumstance and can only witness as bystanders the evil that occurs.

"Halley's Passing" by Michael McDowell. It's no secret that I adore Michael McDowell. (You do too, if you love Beetlejuice or The Nightmare Before Christmas.) This tale, however, is shocking and extra bloody which is unusual for him, but at the same time: so much FUN.

"The Elemental" by R. Chetwynd-Hayes. Another FUN tale featuring a psychic that no one takes seriously. At first.

"Samhain" by Bernard Taylor. Taylor is an author that I was unfamiliar with until Valancourt Books republished some of his work. I am now an unabashed fan and stories like this are exactly why. Everything is going along, you think you have a handle on things, and then BAM! He punches you right in the face. It's often a bloody punch too, and this is no exception. I laughed out loud at the ending because I was surprised, it was bloody and I loved it!

"The Bell" by Beverly Nichols. A beautifully told tale about a man who was completely dependent upon his valet/butler and what happens when that butler dies. Who will then come to the insistent ringing of the bell?

Just like with Volume 1, I could list each and every story as a standout, because they were ALL just that good. Also like with Volume 1, is the fact that most of these stories have not been published over and over again. I'm not sure if it happens with all genres, but the same horror stories often appear ad nauseam in anthologies and it's irritating. With the cost of books these days, it's disappointing to buy an anthology only to discover you've read half the stories already in other anthologies. Rest easy, because that is not the case here.

Each story in this volume is prefaced by a bit of background on the story and on the author, many of whom were not known for writing in the horror genre. I think that fact brings a certain freshness to this collection that is often lacking in others. The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume Two is simply EXCEPTIONAL and belongs in the collection of any serious fan of the genre.

My highest recommendation!

You can pre-order your copy  here: The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume Two

*This book was provided by Valancourt Books in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*

text 2017-09-24 00:58
Book Blitz & Giveaway for PROPHESY by A.E. Via

PROPHESY

by A.E. Via The King & Alpha, #1 Publication Date: September 23, 2017 Genres: Adult, M/M, Romance, Paranormal

NEW RELEASE!

SYNOPSIS:

An Enemies to Lovers Shifter, Vampire True Mates story.
Justice Volkov is the youngest Alpha Zenith to ever lead the wolf shifters. Following in his father’s large paw prints was a responsibility he met head on. Now at age thirty-three, he is alpha of the alphas. As a direct descendant of the original Siberian pack, his wolf is bigger and stronger than Justice, himself is sometimes able to control.
“His wolf howled long and hard but Justice kept it inside. It felt like a bass drum beating against his rib cage. The harsh breaths, angry snarls and the determined pacing inside him was overtaking him. All the while… his mate kept calling.”
Justice takes his role of leadership and his legacy very seriously. He has little time for romance, not to mention a true mate. His packs are his priority. With a human government trying to regulate them, an uprising of rogue shifters, and a violent team of scientists trying to experiment on them, Justice has his hands way too full.
Chadwick ‘Wick’ Bentley is not enthusiastic when the captain of his escort tells him he has to leave his comfortable London home and go back to the States. As the Vampire King, he has no choice but to get his species back in line before they cause anymore chaos. At over two-hundred years old, Wick is no one to trifle with, but his smooth, charismatic manner makes him quite unique, despite the negative reputation vampires have. Wick has had nothing but time up to this point. He doesn’t feel the need to make issues pressing. Nothing is urgent in his life. Until he meets Justice. His beloved.
“Natural enemies can’t be mates.” Or so Justice thought. He knows his skepticism and rejection is hurting his mate, so while he fights their connection, Wick gets help from a source very close to Justice to help him win his beloved’s heart. Wick is a force all on his own, but when he’s blessed with a special gift from the Mother herself, not even Justice’s powerful wolf can prevent the prophesy from being fulfilled.
This story DOES NOT contain/mention MPREG. No multiple pairings. It does not end on a cliffhanger and has an HEA.
Warning: This book is MM paranormal: If you DO NOT like hot, alpha men shifting into large wolves, or vampires feeding from their mates, this may not be your read.
goodreads-badge-add-38px

SNEAK PEAK - EXCERPT

His animal growled and snarled inside him. Justice grunted and cursed while he fought to keep his wolf under control. What was wrong with him? What the hell was coming? He could feel it as sure as he could feel his beating heart, his racing pulse and his mighty wolf trying to get out and explore. He’d never had to reign in his animal so fiercely. Justice was finally able to open his eyes, not realizing they were squeezed shut in concentration.
“Justice! You’re forcing a lot of power, man.” Mac’s strong voice cut over the incessant presence trying to reach his mind.
Justice growled again. Something’s in my head. “Clear the room.” Justice’s voice was strained, spitting his words through clenched teeth. His wolf was clawing at him, ripping him apart, wanting out.
“Justice you’re scaring me. I can feel you fighting.”
He could hear his baby sister begging but he couldn’t focus on his siblings when he was barely keeping himself together. It had to be the Vampire King doing something to him. If Justice shifted and went crazy right here in a police headquarters, only the heavens knew what would happen to his people. “Get my family out of here.” Justice grabbed Alek’s arm in an authoritative grip. “Everyone. Out. Now.”
“We’re your betas. We won’t leave you, Justice,” Taleb snarled, looking in the same direction as Justice.
“Alek!” Justice thundered. He needed him to act for him.
“You heard your Alpha, Taleb. Warren, get them in the RV and back on the Humboldt pack lands now! Protect them with your lives,” Alek barked to the enforcers, who immediately began to shuffle Justice’s sister and his younger brothers out of the room and to the safety of their vehicle. Alek watched them down the hall until they turned out of view. His brother looked up and down the corridor before dipping back inside the room and locking the door.
“I think the Vampire King just turned the corner. Is it him doing this to you? I’ll kill him right now,” Alek growled.
“No!” Justice’s voice was sharper and stronger than he intended. He was still leaning hard against the wall farthest from the door for support, holding both clenched fists against his chest as if that alone could keep his wolf from bursting free. Justice closed his eyes and tried to center himself. He needed to breathe, relax. But with each second, the feelings intensified, an all-encompassing entity in his head.
“I can feel you too.”
“Oh shit. Was that you, Alek?” Justice grabbed his brother’s arm and yanked him to face him. “Did you just speak to me?”
“What? No? I am speaking to you now. Justice, goddamnit! You’re pushing too much energy.” Alek released a pained grunt. His brother looked like he wanted to break the window behind them and just get them the hell out of there. He’d never seen Justice behave this way, so out of control, and wasn’t sure what he was about to be faced with, but knew he may have to fight it alone because Justice was in a complete state of disorder.
It was an accented, smooth voice. “Something. Someone just said—” Then he smelled it. That faint, delicious scent that appeared last night was back, only it wasn’t diluted by nature’s elements. This time it was full strength, concentrated, and like nothing he’d ever smelled before. Impressive and so damn compelling. Justice’s thick cock pushed against his loose jeans and his wolf howled inside him, fighting to break free. His animal was so strong. Justice gritted his teeth together and hung on. Oh, Mother… please. Can’t… it just can’t. Justice heard footsteps right outside the door and his body began to shake from effort.
“Justice,” Alek warned. “You gotta tell me what’s going on, brother, so I can help you.”
How the hell was he supposed to explain this?
Justice saw the knob jiggle for a second before it was completely ripped from the door. Neither he nor Alek flinched at the show of strength. They had strength of their own. Justice thought dozens of vampires would storm the room, but only two walked in and Justice knew exactly which one was in his head. The Vampire King. The sexy, beautiful one. But how?

ABOUT A.E. VIA

A.E. Via has been a best-selling author in the beautiful gay romance genre for four years now, but she’s no stranger to MM. She’s been an avid reader of LGBTQ Romance for over fifteen years before she picked up her laptop to place her own kiss on this genre. She’s also the founder and owner of Via Star Wings Books, having published a couple great new up and coming MM authors.
A.E. has a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice from Virginia Wesleyan College that she used to start her own paralegal firm after she graduated in 2008. She spent five years preparing and filing bankruptcy petitions for struggling blue collar workers who couldn’t afford to file with a lawyer. It was a rewarding and satisfying career… but another path called to her. Writing.
A.E.’s writing embodies everything from hopelessly romantic to adventure, to scandalous. Stories that often include intriguing edges and twists that take readers to new, thought-provoking depths.
Now that she’s gotten over her 10 books published hump, she’s kind of known now for her hardcore, play rough and love hard, bad boy, alphas. However, she does like to push herself to step out of her comfort zone, exploring with different tropes, but she won’t push herself into a whole other genre. She’s head over heels for MM romance and has tons of more hot stories to tell.
Be sure to visit Adrienne on her social media pages and subscribe to her newsletter to never miss another release date! Go to A.E. Via’s official website http://authoraevia.com for more detailed information on how to contact her, follow her, or a sneak peak on upcoming work, free reads, VSWB submissions, and where she’ll appear next.

ENTER THE GIVEAWAY