logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-22 04:40
Sometimes hard to read but compelled me to finish
Blaming the Wind - Alessandra Harris

This story pulled at my heart. It is about two couples and their struggles in life and love. I was compelled to read to see how it all turned out, although there was one point I almost gave up near the end. To my relief, that point turned into something better. There were tears, smiles, sighs, and breath holding throughout the story.

I received a copy of this story through Candid Book Reviews, and this is my unsolicited review.

review 2018-01-21 17:26
Review of "A Grave Prediction" (Abby Cooper Psychic Eye # ) - Victoria Laurie
A Grave Prediction - Victoria Laurie

I enjoyed this one — but it somehow wasn't "Abby Cooper" as expected.

I think maybe because just her and BFF off away from the rest of the gang, her spirits oddly well behaved and helpful instead of the expected flakiness (even give a first and last name clue).  Made for a breezier read and still fun with a lot of humor.

review 2018-01-20 19:32
Review of novella "Undercover Magic" (Dragon's Gift: The Valkyrie Book 1) - Linsey Hall
Undercover Magic (Dragon's Gift: The Valkyrie Book 1) - Linsey Hall

So, random Amazon prime borrow (Kindle Owner's Lending Library) -- a freebie, self-/indie published  and a shorter length work that I really wound up enjoying.

Not really sure why beyond liking the heroine.  It threw so much at you at once that I'm not sure I have a handle on the story, the series or the worldbuilding.  But just go with it; action-packed and full of pretty much everything supernatural, paranormal or fairy-tale-ish.

Not sure yet why series is called Dragon's Gift or Valkyrie.  No Valkyries yet.  The main character and her sister's powers are still unknown at end of this one.

Probably the best review I can give this is that I plan on reading the next novella in the series.

review 2018-01-20 17:25
Review of "No One Lives Twice No One Lives Twice" (Lexi Carmichael #1) - Julie Moffett
No One Lives Twice No One Lives Twice - Julie Moffett

Well, this stayed unexpectedly action-packed start to finish so was fun (particularly when turning to the James Bond international espionage drawing in MI-6, CIA, FBI, NSA...).

I enjoyed the read.

Not sure it's what I'd consider Young Adult.  Lots of romantic possibilities with yummy men (not what I'd consider a love triangle, thank goodness -- but definitely a PG or less explicitness so maybe that accounts for the "YA"?  Lexi is an independent adult with degree, steady job, own home, not a teenager, not a 18-24 college student or new adult, not in any academy type of setting -- pretty much not seeing where this is YA.

Which is a good thing; YA is a love/hate for me with many great books but far more angst-y, clueless, high school-ish, and loveg ringlets.

Read for the booklikes' YA Book Club; I think it may have been just me unless someone has yet to join in or post.

review 2018-01-19 21:03
This is quickly becoming the most challenging review...EVAH!!!
Covet - Yolande Kleinn

Truthfully this is the third time I've tried to start this review and in my brain it's probably the twentieth. My goal here isn't to tell you what the stories about but to share with you why I was so gobsmacked by this one and truthfully to get you the reader to at least take a peek at it or maybe even decide to read the story.

'Covet' at first glance appears to be a menage book that involves twincest...nope, sorry wrong. Truthfully I don't even think I would call it a 'menage' story in the true sense of the word and as for the twincest...not here. By definition 'twincest' is an incestuous sexual relationship  between twins or siblings who look very similar and that doesn't happen here. Peter and Jack are twins but there is 'no' sexual attraction between Jack and Peter. What there is...is a bit of a problem since both men are attracted to Colin.

Colin is a professor at the local university where Jack also works.  While Peter is a lawyer. Peter and Jack have a close relationship and while Jack's attraction to Colin is there from the start, initially Peter's only interest is curiosity about the man who seems to be garnering more interest than his brother has given to anyone in the past and from there they become friends for Peter and Coliin the sexual interest is more of a slow burn.

For Colin and Jack their progression to an intimate relationship while quicker still takes ore time since Colin has just gotten out of a 5 year relationship and he's not looking for anything new, but Jack's determined and he knows how to play the game. So with a little patience, determination and willingness to take things slower than he'd like Jack moves his relationship from friends to friends with benefits.

The relationship between Jack and Peter is definitely put to the test when Jack learns that Peter's interest in Colin has gone beyond the platonic. The relationship between these three men is...well...not to sound cliche but...yeah, it's complicated and then some. It's also handled incredibly well by the author.  This is my second book by Yolande Kleinn and while I enjoyed 'Running Hot' I'd be remiss if I didn't also say that 'Yolande Kleinn has impressed the hell out of me with the story that she's created this time around'.

Aannnddd having said all that I did have one disappointment with this story which was the ending specifically the epilogue. Unfortunately that's about all I'm going to say about that because otherwise I'll be  sharing more in terms of details than I want to share...now, now don't get into a panic it's not that there wasn't any happy at the end you can breath comfortable about that the happy is there and admittedly it may well be that that I'm if not the only one, I'm one of a very few readers who are bothered by the epilogue, but I was so that's the reason there's not 5 stars here.

That this is one of the most challenging reviews I've ever had to write doesn't surprise me since this book contains some of the most challenging relationships I've encountered in a book in a very, very long time and yes, I do mean relationships because 'Covet' isn't just about the relationship between Jack, Peter and Colin...no it goes well beyond that. The author has given us time with Jack and Colin, Peter and Jack, Peter and Colin and we even got some time with Peter and Maureen...before things ended between them. I only mention this because while things didn't work out between Peter and Maureen, I really like the character of Maureen.

So, I'm just going to have a little babble about Maureen here. Maureen was initially Peter's girlfriend and what I really loved about this character was that she was a successful, confident professional (lawyer), she wasn't clingy or needy and when things ended with Peter she didn't turn into a raging bitch!!! Seriously I loved Maureen...please can we have more women like her in books. It was awesome to see a woman portrayed in such a positive light. Maureen didn't have a lot of page time but that's ok because what she had as appropriate to her role in the story. Maureen is one of a very few  female characters that I've encountered in a book in a long time that I truly enjoyed and thus ends my little babbling tribute to the character of Maureen.

'Covet' is a very relationship driven story and truthfully none of those relationships are easy or simple but in many ways they are very solid and real. Just like in real life relationships aren't always what they seem to be sometimes they are more or less than what the world sees but always they are unique to the people in them.

*************************

A copy of 'Covet' was graciously provide by the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.