logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-11-16 21:41
Book Review for Defending Roxanne (GHOST Book 2) by PJ Fiala
Defending Roxanne (GHOST Book 2) Kindle Edition - Pj Fiala

This was another great read in this ongoing series.I love a story that has strong female characters and this story had just that.Roxanne has grown up in a military household and her father and brothers made sure she was able to protect herself so its not surprising that she takes it upon herself to solve the murders of her parents and a foreign military dignitary in their mitts.

I loved Roxanne from the onset of the story as she was a strong character also smart and clever as well as sassy and a women who grew up in a home with tons of love.

Hawk Delaney was a character who is all about getting the job done and a man who is definitely haunted with his past after 10 years of guarding his heart one slip of a girl has shaken the man to his core.

I loved the story from beginning to end and everything in between and I have to say I think Roxanne rocked throughout the whole story with her working with the team of GHOST members she was finally getting the answers she had been wanting and was a big part of solving her own mystery and we just loved that.The story drew you in right from the very beginning as it was action packed and intriguing to the very end .One thing we also loved is that the story has a really great cast of characters that make you laugh and they all have a wicked sense of humor and even the slightly broken ones start healing when they meet the one meant for them.

We can't wait to see what happens next !

review 2019-11-16 20:02
Book Reviews for Foolish Riot (Riot MC Book 5) by Karen Renee
Foolish Riot (Riot MC Book 5) Kindle Edition - Karen Renee

"We really loved this latest installment !"
I have to say that this is one of my favorite installments in this series. I absolutely loved these main characters Roll and Trixie.

I always pick a favorite character and mine is going to me Trixie. Trixie was a firecracker and she was also funny and was a tell in like it is kind of gal and she was also bright and funny and a freak in the sheets. "We loved her instantly !" We loved that although Trixie had a rough start in life she did not let it destroyed her it just made her into a strong and independent women and one who doesn't give a crap what others think of her she lives her life just they way she wants to.

Roll was another character easy to love.We found him to be dark and brute -y and sexy as sin and he is a man who has many layers and has many moods but, he is also a man who enjoys no commitments but, there has been only one women to capture his heart and the only one to penetrate some of those layers but ,not enough to give up his freedom.

Trixie and Roll had amazing chemistry and were the perfect fit for one another until they weren't.

Overall we really enjoyed the story as it was funny and engaging and when things heated up and Roll realized he could have lost what he loved most in this world in a blink of an eye it changes a man and makes him realize his fears were no longer and issue it was about winning the girl he always considered his. It reminds me of phase
"Bring it on !"

This story was also filled with tons of great characters that were engaging and funny and it was also filled with a ton of hot alpha men that we couldn't get enough of.We loved Trixie she made us laugh out loud this entire story and that just made us love this story even more.

"This story was totally hot !"

Recommended read to all

review 2019-11-16 19:22
I don't usually jump into a series near the end? the middle? but...
Twice Shy - Sally Malcolm

This one caught my attention and it seemed like it would stand on it's own, so I decided to give it a go.

"Twice Shy" is the third book in 'new-to-me' author, Sally Malcolm's "New Milton' series, it's about Ollie a young twenty-something who finds himself the sole guardian of two young children following the death of his sister and her husband and a protracted legal battle with their grandparents (the husband's parents). Ollie's determined to do right by these children and I admit I warmed to him instantly because of how the character was portrayed. Ollie is warm and resilient, he'd determined and kind and most of all he loves his nephews and it's their well being and happiness that matters more than anything to him. But Ollie's also human and we see him at his best and his worst and few points in between.

Joel moved to New Milton a few years ago to try and rebuild...not just his life, but himself following a nasty divorce. The end of Joel's marriage really tore him up and I got that...really in fact got it, done it, seen it, been there got the tee-shirt. So of any character in this book he's the one I should have been able to empathize with and to a point I could. Problem is Joel the wall street hotshot, investment banker went past that point and made it to the point where I really, really just wanted to shake him, tell him to grow the f*#$ up, get over it and move on. I've know people who have lost their partners to terminal illness...partners who they have loved and adored and they've managed to get themselves together and rebuild their lives without the protracted pity party that Joel seemed to be having...sometimes...less really is more as in less whining and self pity from Joel would have gotten more empathy and compassion from me for the character...in general it just would have made for a more believable character for me.

As well as the issue with Joel moving on from his failed marriage there's was a point in time during the story when I questioned whether Joel would have been as interested in Ollie if he didn't come with a ready made family...it was just a brief moment in time but the thought never really left and I admit it left a bit of a dark cloud over the relationship for me.

I actually enjoyed a lot of the rest of the story things like the PTA especially when they got involved with helping Joel fix things. There was also a subplot to this one that involved characters from a previous book and I can honestly say that while I would have liked to have read the book about Luca & his partner, not having read it really didn't detract from the part of this story that pertained to his connection to Ollie.

In spite of the fact that this wasn't an overwhelming hit with me, it did leave me curious to check out the previous stories in this series and who knows maybe once I do I'll have a little more appreciation for this story but regardless of whether I do or not I don't see it changing how I feel about Joel and that for me was the biggest negative in this story and truth be told if I hadn't liked Ollie as much as I do this one probably would have been more like 3 stars so honestly it's 3 stars for the story and .5 for having a character as likeable as Ollie.

*************************

An ARC of "Twice Shy" was graciously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

review 2019-11-14 19:05
A Little Light Mischief by Cat Sebastian
A Little Light Mischief: A Turner Novella - Cat Sebastian

I grabbed this copy from my library after listening and loving Cat Sebastian’s “The Ruin of a Rake” (which is part of this Turner series). That book was five stars for me. This one here is related to the series and features a story about two ladies finding friendship, love and a little light mischief. I love it when the title fits the story as this one does. It’s short but it doesn’t cut corners when it comes to developing the relationship which is impressive.

The plot isn’t a complicated one, which is something I’m not going to complain about, haha. Alice was disowned and tossed out of the family home and is now a companion to a wealthy lady. She misses her nieces terribly but has accepted her lot in life. She spends her days embroidering fripperies and trying to look away from the bosom and backside of Molly, the too alluring housemaid. But Molly feels the eyes on her bod and doesn’t mind at all. They develop a friendship which eventually turns into more. Molly “I have three knives and a reputation for bloodshed” is street savvy and together the two cook up a plan to exact a little revenge on a dastardly man who totally deserved it.

This story was great fun. There’s a little lust, a little love and overall it’s just a feel good romance with lovely writing and engaging dialogue. The audio narration was also beautifully done. It’s a definite recommend even if you haven’t read Ruin of A Rake BUT WHY HAVEN’T YOU?!

review 2019-11-13 18:10
My Pretties by Jeff Strand
My Pretties - Jeff Strand

I’ve read a few Jeff Strand books and that man has one skewed sense of humor. I love it. He manages to make me laugh while I’m wincing at what’s occurring in the scene. That’s some talent there. If you have a dark sense of humor you should really check out some of Strand’s many works. He has written in several genres ranging from the road-trip romance Kumquat, the bizarro Facial, thriller Stalking You Now and a slew of straight up horror that you should seek out. My Pretties is as good a place as any to start though because you’ll get a good dose of his sarcasm and who doesn’t need some of that in their life?

This story is more one about the evils of man. And woman. Both are equally evil when they want to be and especially if they’re not wired quite right. It’s about the bad stuff humans do to each other. The only monsters here are of the human variety but the carnage that happens within these pages is just as horrific as any supernatural horror monster tale I’ve ever read. So if you’re asking me, and I’m sure you were, I’m calling it horror. Or horror-thriller-suspense. Whatever. I don’t really give a cat’s butt about the categorization because it is nasty and it is gory and it is great fun. That’s really all you need to know but I’ll tell you a little bit more.

Ken likes to abduct long-haired brunettes. I am not going to tell you what he does to them. You’ll have to read the book for that horrific information. Gertie’s cousin has gone missing (at least I think it was a cousin, my memory isn’t so great and I didn’t write that down – sorry) and Gertie has taken it upon herself to do some vigilante work. She dons a wig and hangs out in sketchy areas at night hoping to attract Ken’s attention. This is probably not the best course of action but Gertie has good intentions. No one else seems to care about these missing ladies so I can’t get mad at her for that. She engages her new co-worker Charlene in this scheme because Charlene is up for anything. I loved Charlene who is smart-mouthed and sarcastic and a wee bit more level headed than her new friend Gertie .

These not-so-best laid plans surprisingly go off track. Haha. That’s all I’m saying about the story.

If you want some suspense, some black humor and some gore in your life you can’t go wrong with this book. It has all of those things and a bunch of other unpleasant (in the best way) surprises too. I was never, not once, tempted to jack up the speed on my player to get things over with quicker because the pacing is just right and the narrator does a great job with the female voices and a decent one with the males. I can easily recommend it to all of you weirdos who like this sort of thing as much as I do!