logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: reviews
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-26 16:21
This time around, it's not a gender thing...
Rank & File - L.A. Witt

or even really an age thing...nope, this time around it's all about the 'Rank & File'.

'Rank & File' is the fourth book in L. A. Witt's 'Anchor Point' series and so far I've enjoyed them all. But this one's got a little bit of a twist to it...one that probably wouldn't occur to a lot of people. You see, Senior Chief Will Curtis is enlisted and he's got his eye on the prize making Master Chief after 30 years of enlistment and Lieutenant Brent Jameson is a navy brat who's graduated from Annapolis with a life in the military laid out for him. A life that he's never questioned but one that's slowly suffocating him.

Will and Brent meet under less than auspicious circumstances and while both men feel a definite physical attraction. They also know it's neither the time nor the place to act on that attraction and then there's the whole issue of fraternization...because while DADT may have been repealed fraternization between officers and enlisted is still a career ender in the military.

Only it's a week later and neither man has been able to stop thinking about the other and a chance encounter at local bar only reaffirms that they liked what they'd seen and really one night to get it out of their systems isn't going to hurt anyone right? As long as no one finds out and it's only one night...right? Until it isn't because neither man is ready to walk away.

This ones strong on the sex but given that this a relationship that starts based on mutual physical attraction, would you honestly expect anything different? I know I didn't but for me this was a case of the sex being a part of the story and not just a lot of gratuitous sex for the sake of sex. This was a relationship that didn't start with 'love at first sight'...but 'lust at first sight' and from there as these two men came together they got to know each other, find out about each other and take comfort in each other allowing other feelings to develop and grow until they were both blindsided with the knowledge that their hearts were involved and walking away would mean more than losing a 'friend with benefits' it would mean losing the man they'd come to love.

The choice between love and career isn't a new one to a lot of people...military or not, but it can be one of the hardest ones a person can make and I have to admit I held my breath for a while as I devoured this story wanting to know how these two men would ever find their happily ever after and in the end I wasn't disappointed. It took some time, personal growth on the part of both men and definitely hard decisions and change were involved but in the end for me it was the decision that I think made the most sense and probably the one that I'd been hoping for in my heart.

I've enjoyed the stories in this series so far and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what comes next in this series...'Anchor Point' is definitely recommended if you like stories about broken alpha males in the military who have what it takes to deal with whatever life throws their way as they pull themselves up, put themselves back together and fight for the love they never thought they'd find.

********************

An ARC of 'Rank & File' was graciously provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-09-25 18:45
The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume Two- edited by James Jenkins & Ryan Cagle
The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume Two - Nevil Shute,Mary Elizabeth Braddon,Michael P. Kube-McDowell

Once again, the gentlemen over at Valancourt Books knocked their anthology out of the park-maybe even out of the state! Last year's Volume 1, (click to read my review), was outstanding and Volume 2 is as well. My favorites of this volume are as follows:

Stephen Gregory's never before published: "The Boys Who Wouldn't Wake Up" was poignant and, in a way, beautiful. It was also very much unlike any other Gregory story I've read. I'm a huge fan of this author and this tale did NOT disappoint.

"The Nice Boys" by Isabel Colegate was a spectacularly eerie story, set in a relentlessly foggy Venice, Italy. A young woman heads there to vacation away a recent bad break up and meets two young men. As the tension grows the reader is drawn in, but the vivid and disturbing scene towards the end ensures this story will not soon be forgotten.

"Herself" by M.E. Braddon involved two of my favorite tropes-haunted houses and haunted mirrors. I'm not sure which it was, exactly,  but I'm going with  a combination of the two. I love these types of stories-where people are called in to help but are rendered helpless by circumstance and can only witness as bystanders the evil that occurs.

"Halley's Passing" by Michael McDowell. It's no secret that I adore Michael McDowell. (You do too, if you love Beetlejuice or The Nightmare Before Christmas.) This tale, however, is shocking and extra bloody which is unusual for him, but at the same time: so much FUN.

"The Elemental" by R. Chetwynd-Hayes. Another FUN tale featuring a psychic that no one takes seriously. At first.

"Samhain" by Bernard Taylor. Taylor is an author that I was unfamiliar with until Valancourt Books republished some of his work. I am now an unabashed fan and stories like this are exactly why. Everything is going along, you think you have a handle on things, and then BAM! He punches you right in the face. It's often a bloody punch too, and this is no exception. I laughed out loud at the ending because I was surprised, it was bloody and I loved it!

"The Bell" by Beverly Nichols. A beautifully told tale about a man who was completely dependent upon his valet/butler and what happens when that butler dies. Who will then come to the insistent ringing of the bell?

Just like with Volume 1, I could list each and every story as a standout, because they were ALL just that good. Also like with Volume 1, is the fact that most of these stories have not been published over and over again. I'm not sure if it happens with all genres, but the same horror stories often appear ad nauseam in anthologies and it's irritating. With the cost of books these days, it's disappointing to buy an anthology only to discover you've read half the stories already in other anthologies. Rest easy, because that is not the case here.

Each story in this volume is prefaced by a bit of background on the story and on the author, many of whom were not known for writing in the horror genre. I think that fact brings a certain freshness to this collection that is often lacking in others. The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume Two is simply EXCEPTIONAL and belongs in the collection of any serious fan of the genre.

My highest recommendation!

You can pre-order your copy  here: The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume Two

*This book was provided by Valancourt Books in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*

review 2017-09-23 16:14

• Tripped out by Lorelei James
  • File Size: 383 KB
  • Print Length: 120 pages
  • Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
  • Publisher: Evil Eye Concepts, Incorporated (September 12, 2017)
  • Publication Date: September 12, 2017
  • Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
  • Language: English
  • ASIN: B01N7HR5MK
  • Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
  • Arc Copy provided for honest review

About TRIPPED OUT:

Where there’s smoke…

Stirling Gradsky abandoned the corporate rat race for a more laidback lifestyle. So it’s ironic she’s stuck working with a hard-bodied, know-it-all scientist who treats her like a stoner instead of a stone cold business woman capable of running a large scale cannabis operation. Dr. Hot and Tattooed with the big…brain needs to stop sampling their product; he’s under the half-baked idea that he’s the boss.

Dr. Liam Argent’s doctorate isn’t in chemistry, but from the moment he meets his sexy new coworker, there’s enough heat between them to short out all the lights in the grow house. First item on his agenda? Clearing up the sassy, blunt blonde’s hazy notion that she’s in charge.

Sparks fly as their attraction blazes. But can they weed out their differences without getting burned?

Grab your copy of TRIPPED OUT today!

Amazon | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada | Amazon AU

Download the Free Kindle App

I have to say that this is one of my favorite authors and she never seems to disappoint. Omg ! from the onset of the story she had me laughing out loud.I have to say that I laughed through the entire story and after the week I had a needed those laughs and this was the  perfect story to do just that.A great quick read with a great cast of characters.

I have to say that I really loved the main characters Stirling and Liam from the onset of the story.They were both hilarious.I loved their teasing the back and forth banter their pranks that they play on one another and also the animosity that they had for one another at the beginning but not in a mean or threating way.Underneath the disguise they really liked one another and you just new it was really just a smoke screen as they were really attracted to one another.

I have to say that the plot of the story was so new and refreshing and different and I think for me it just made it a bit more fun.Two really smart and intelligent people have really serious and stressful jobs at work but , could be so laid back and carefree and quirky on their own down time.

I always pick a favorite character and mine is Stirling that girl just cracked me up every time she opened her mouth.I loved the camaraderie  she had with Liam.These two really were perfect for one another as Liam tended to be a bit uptight but Stirling seemed to mellow him out.

Liam was not what I expected with all those tattoo's and his rock hard body and stunning looks not your typical looking doctor.But, man underneath it all he was a man of surprises who liked down right dirty panty melting sex.What a refreshing character that I found to be funny and I really loved him.

What a quick and fun read and I loved it from cover to cover.A cute love story that had me grinning and smiling from the onset which I really enjoyed with a surprising and different kind of plot that I found refreshing as I have never come across reading anything like it before.

Overall the story brought enjoyment and grins and smiles and quite a few chuckles and more than a few stares from the hubby as I was laughing out loud....

5 stars for us

About Lorelei James:
Lorelei James is the New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author of contemporary erotic western romances set in the modern day Wild West and also contemporary erotic romances. Lorelei’s books have been nominated for and won the Romantic Times Reviewer’s choice Award, as well as the CAPA Award. Lorelei lives in western South Dakota with her family…and a whole closet full of cow girl boots. From Lorelei: “Why do I have a particular fondness for all things western? Well, I’m a fourth generation South Dakotan, living in the Black Hills, which is chock-full of interesting characters, including cowboys, Indians, ranchers, and bikers. The geographical diversity of the surrounding area showcases mountains, plains, and badlands. Living in and writing about rural settings gives me a unique perspective, especially since I’m not writing historical westerns. Through my fictional world, I can show the ideals and the cowboy way of life are still very much alive.”

review 2017-09-22 18:33
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
The Haunting of Hill House - Shirley Jackson

"The house was vile. . . Hill House is vile, it is diseased, get away from here at once."

I’m stingy with my stars and gave out five of them to Jackson’s We Have Always Lived in the Castle. It had it all; quirky characters, creepy goings-on and dreadful deeds and I was expecting similarly great things from this classic.

Perhaps my expectations were too high or maybe I just wasn’t in the mood because I found this one slower than cold molasses with slightly over-the-top characters whose plight never grabbed me. It took me well over a week to finish this skinny little book. I know I’m slow but that’s ridiculous even for me. I’d pick it up, read a few pages and fall asleep. Once I even dropped the edge of this cursed book on my face as I nodded off and woke up with a welt on my chin. At least my husband, the NON reader I might add, had a great laugh. And still I plundered on. . .

In the end, I never did connect with the story and it wasn’t able to infect me with insidious dread. I can’t quite pinpoint what went wrong besides the fact that there was too little spooky and too much yapping for me. What with all of the talking these people did, I never did learn much about them. The descriptions of the house were divine, however, and I would love to live there.

I read this for Bingo. I'm all off track and have to figure out where I'm going to place it when I get my act back together. I don't even know what's been called at this point. Is there a master post of bingo calls somewhere?