logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: road-movie
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-09 06:39
rising from the ashes
Riding Towards Shadows - Nellie Merthe Erkenbach

Riding Towards Shadows really impressed me more than most books I've read in recent months.

A self-discovery novel that exudes strength and vulnerability at the same time, is personal and also help (almost instructions) for women in a similar situation. Nellie Merthe Erkenbach takes us on her journey through the pain of loss, a journey into her past, which she undertakes to heal in the present.

The Glasgow of the 1990s is an unknown world but opens up through Erkenbach’s vivid descriptions and flashbacks.

Riding Towards Shadows is a "road movie" and that's why the vehicle plays a special role; her motorcycle, a Harley-Davidson Sportster, is almost mythical, a symbol of masculinity that helps this woman to emancipate from male stereotypes. The actual journey thus becomes an inner development, a maturing process.

Because these are real people, some characters remain a little unclear but this gives the story a certain kick.

Riding Towards Shadows is suffering from love lost and growing through dealing with the pain, it is not a humorous book but one that stays with the reader for a long time after the last page is turned.

review 2014-02-06 00:00
The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition 2009) (Vintage International)
The Road - Cormac McCarthy Rating: 3.5
I'm not entirely sure what I think about this book. At times it was extremely boring and at other times, I couldn't put it down. It was a slow read but it was interesting. I really liked seeing the relationship between the father and the son. Their conversations were short but I enjoyed them. I loved how the story was written. No chapters, instead it had breaks in-between paragraphs. The descriptions of the world were also amazing. I definitely recommend this book :)
review 2013-07-01 00:00
The Road - Cormac McCarthy I had been wanting to read this book for awhile now, but I never got around to it. But just last week my dad bought it for me, which I'm glad he did because I really enjoyed this book.

Some people might not like it because the entire book pretty much consists of a father and a son walking throughout the country, trying to get to where an ocean is. But it was actually interesting and kept my attention. It's interesting to think about a post apocalyptic world where the only person you have for company is a child. How do you deal with this? How do you survive? What is the point of surviving? Because it's not only that you have to find food and shelter, but on top of that you need to take care of someone. How do you keep from just saying: Screw this let me just kill myself and my child because the earth is a barren wasteland and living like this is not living at all? What is the point of hoping when it seems there really isn't anything left of the world? Who wants to live in a place where you have to always travel and hide from people because you can't trust people anymore?

Even though this is a post apocalyptic world, there is actually very little information about what happened, why people left their homes, why the earth is now a barren wasteland, etc. But even so this doesn't take away from the story. It's still very compelling, seeing the relationship between father and son. Seeing them walking and walking to some uncertain future.

image
review 2013-06-30 00:00
The Road (Movie Tie-in Edition 2008) (Vintage International)
The Road - Cormac McCarthy Papa, is this book a joke?
I don't know.
What do you mean you don't know?
I mean I don't know, he said.
You don't know if this book is a joke?
But what do you think.
I think it's unlikely.
Okay.
Just drop it, we need to move on.
Why?
You are getting bored and frustrated.
But Papa, I don't have anything else to read.
We'll find something in a while.
How do you know?
I just know.
How long a while?
I don't know. Maybe quite a while.
Stop saying okay.
You always say that.
I'm sorry.
I know. But you do.
I'm really bored, Papa.
I know.
review 2013-02-13 00:00
Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates I simply didn't have the energy to finish this. Not that the story was bad or anything, though I can't deny it was undeniably depressing. My biggest problem would be my inability to stomach Yates' writing style. It was too distracting to the point of not worth wasting any effort trying to dissect and understand it. Maybe my cognitive ability isn't that mature yet to fully appreciate it, or maybe it simply wasn't meant for me.

The book definitely didn't speak for me. Sigh.