logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: romance
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-24 16:44
Carolina Moon by Nora Roberts
Carolina Moon - Nora Roberts

On that fateful night so long ago, when eight-year-old Hope Lavelle died, Victoria "Tory" Bodeen should've been with her. But her father had beaten her because of her particular gift, Tory stayed at home, and someone raped and killed her best friend.
No one knew who did it, the town suspected a drifter, and the killer remained unpunished, as life went on...

Yet Tory hasn't been able to forget her friend or what's been done to her. They were blood sisters, connected by an unbreakable bond, and she feels it's time to finally put the past, and Hope to rest, by finding her killer. And the best place to start is back in her home town...

I watched the movie based on this book, and I must say it didn't to it justice. At all. Not in story, not in characterization, not in suspense.

This book is proof of what Nora Roberts does best. Expertly crafted story with wonderful characters. You have your prickly heroine, a deceptively laid-back hero, and a great supporting cast with the, as far as NR stories set in the South, requisite bitchy matriarch, and the "crazy" relative, usually and aunt.
But the cast itself isn't enough, one has to connect them all together, some in friendship, some in blood, some in reluctant alliances, passing acquaintances, and of course, romance.

This book has two of those, the main one between the prickly heroine and the deceptively laid-back hero, and the second between the hero's seemingly flighty sister, determined to defy mama at all cost, and the hero's best friend and the heroine's cousin, the town veterinarian who's been pining after his love-interest for years before she finally saw reason.
Strangely, I must confess I was more invested in the secondary romance than the main one, mostly because of the heroine's issues and prickliness (justified, I might add) not really doing the main romance any favors. I liked the hero well enough, and the heroine as well, I just didn't like them that much together. It felt a little forced, fatalistic, even.

There was one relationship Tory was in that I liked. And that was the slow-building friendship between her and her childhood best friend's twin sister, Faith. It was lovely seeing these two independent, closed-off women, both with their own inner scars and issues, circling each other, slowly forming the strong bonds of friendship, until becoming a unit toward the end.
The story came full circle in that particular moment.

Speaking of full-circle, I'm glad the villain got what they deserved in the one spot where it all became, but the finale felt a bit rushed. It felt rather anticlimactic compared to the buildup with its suspense and lurking danger.

Still, a very solid story, with a nice plot, good characters, a smidgen of "paranormal", and some wonderfully suspenseful moments.

review 2017-06-24 15:18
Mandate (Terran Times Second Wave Book 12) ... Viola Grace Review
Mandate (Terran Times Second Wave Book 12) - Viola Grace

Wren takes care of those around her, but will a bunch of Guardians be more than she can keep in fighting shape?

Wren has been a caretaker for all her adult life. The offer to take up a new life in the stars comes as part of her career comes to a sad end.

They ask her to change her DNA, she does. They ask her to engage in combat training, she does. They ask her to channel the new talent that roars through her bloodstream, she focuses. If they had asked her if she was willing to mate with a stranger, she would have considered it.

Drovin has been waiting for the day when his mate would arrive on his world. He knows what she looks like and who she is, but her personality is a mystery. Binding them together before she arrived was his idea, but it might have been an incorrect impulse when she can find all of his weaknesses in an instant.

Review

Wren is a wonderful heroine who we get to see come into her own during this story. The fated mate romance is an interesting one and the world building is well done.

review 2017-06-24 03:12
[REVIEW] What Did You Eat Yesterday? by Fumi Yoshinaga
What Did You Eat Yesterday? Volume 1[WHAT DID YOU EAT YESTERDAY V01][Paperback] - FumiYoshinaga

Aw! A good, slice-of-life manga. It's like coming home to your favorite sweater.

The art is so light and delicate. I've read (I think) most of Ms. Yoshinaga's work and it never disappoints. I love that there are recipes and that the characters are so relatable. Will definitely continue to slowly consume this series.

review 2017-06-24 00:34
[REVIEW] Undecided by Julianna Keyes
Undecided - Julianna Keyes

Ugh, this book is so the perfect combination of sweet, fluffy, steamy, and just the right amount of angst. I couldn't ask for more.

I had found this book after I trolled various 'friends-to-lovers' list and while I really don't think that this book falls into that category, I am glad I read it.

Nora is a flawed but mature heroine and I was never bored while I read her story. Crosbie seemed off-putting to me initially because I thought he was just too muscular but his personality won me over. He's sweet, he's funny, he's a loyal friend, he knows when to apologize, he is studious and doesn't take things for granted. He's a truly great hero and his friendship with Kellan is the epitome of a bromance. I also hope Kellan gets his own book because he deserves his HEA.

AND I NEED MARCELA AND NATE TO HOOK UP FOR REAL.

(spoiler show)

It was also so refreshing to read a New Adult book that had no slut shaming or raging assholes disguised as heroes.

I also enjoyed the refreshingly real situation Kellan got himself into aka he got an STD.

(spoiler show)

My only real gripe was that the writing seemed repetitive at times and I detected a small inconsistency between the number of months Nora had been celibate. In certain parts, it said four months and in another, it said three. It's a minor thing but it bugs me because that's just me.

Otherwise, I truly recommend this book if you want to read something fun and are looking for a new book boyfriend.

review 2017-06-24 00:28
[REVIEW] Marrying Winterbourne by Lisa Kleypas
Marrying Winterborne - Lisa Kleypas

A much better book than the first, Winterborne and Helen are a delightful pair. I think Helen is one of my favorite heroines. She is kind, intelligent, sensitive and a delightful sweetheart. She's decisively not annoying which is a big yay for me. Rhys Winterborne got on my nerves on the first book by the end but he's truly a charming man. His chemistry with Helen is off the charts and it is clear to us from the very beginning, a vast improvement from the previous book.

Why not a full five stars? Some sex scenes, in my opinion, could not be enjoyed because I was just too upset about the secret Helen was keeping from Winterborne. I understand her reasoning for not saying anything but damn, I needed her to speak up. The end got solved real quickly but at that point, I just wanted them together for good.