logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: romance
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-24 18:54
Wolf Hunger by Paige Tyler
Wolf Hunger - Paige Tyler

SWAT Officer Max Lowry, the youngest "pup" in the Pack meets Lana Mason at a police award ceremony and falls hard, fast, and furious. Luckily the girl is also a werewolf, so his nose tells him, so there shouldn't be any problems in getting with the program. Unfortunately, Lana has no idea she's a werewolf, she's the daughter of the deputy chief of the DPD tactical division...And a group of hunters is gunning for her, having followed her from Austin to Dallas.

What is a "wolf pup" to do?

Well, this is awkward. After six strong books, this seventh in the series left me rather cold. The action was still quite strong, though the suspense was lacking, there was the requisite sarcasm and snark whenever members of the Pack were in the picture...But the spark was gone.

To start with, I didn't really care much about the two protagonists. They sounded so very young (in fact, they were barely in their twenties), it bothered me a little. Their romance was also nothing to write home about, with the two seemingly merely going through the motion, without much feeling or emotion in the background.

The suspense and action could've saved it, but even these two elements lacked intensity and intrigue. Be it the DV case or the main hunters-related action, it felt lackluster and once more the characters didn't seem very involved. I didn't really feel the urgency and the approaching danger; even the final showdown was quite a let-down ending rather quickly and abruptly, the mysterious phone calls between the baddies merely whetting my appetite without delivering much.
I guess I'll have to wait for the next books (although if the hunters story arc is going to drag for nine more books, it will take quite an effort to keep my attention—it will most assuredly take more effort that this particular story managed).

What did "catch my attention" and what I am looking forward to that this book "started" is Zane's story. Keeping my fingers crossed for the poor Brit.

review 2018-05-24 18:50
Wolf Hunt by Paige Tyler
Wolf Hunt - Paige Tyler

Remy Boudreaux had loved and lost before, and decided never to do it again. Life is much easier spent in pursuit of easy hookups. Then he returns to his hometown of New Orleans for a week of training with the NOPD SWAT, and follows a tantalizing scent through half the city, only to end up in a crowded club, face to face with his highschool best friend (and crush).
Triana Bellamy had a major crush on her friend Remy back in the day, and she doesn't think twice at experiencing what she's been missing in the years they've been apart.

When things start moving too quickly, Remy pulls away, and Triana is devastated. But she soon has another problem to keep her mind occupied. Someone is demanding her mother hand over a wolf-pendant necklace, and the PI she's hired might've stumbled on information that might solve her father's murder...

This book was much more romance-focused than the previous ones, or maybe it just struck me that way, but I didn't mind, since I happened to like this specific romance. Especially since it was the hero's turn to be a stubborn ass, refusing to let himself love his heroine in fear of her getting hurt (and in the end she got hurt even when they weren't together).
I loved both Remy and Triana, him with his scarred heart and fears of being cursed, and her with her inquisitive mind and pride that prevented her from begging for scraps from a man who supposedly didn't care.
It was a little heartbreaking reading about their struggles (Remy really was an idiot), yet reading about their connection was simply adorable. I loved them to bits.

Then there was the suspense. It might not have been as prominent as in the previous books in this series, but it still packed a punch, especially once it became clear that all the little dangling threads were connected. The villain's motive for getting the (apparently insignificant) necklace was a little out there, but the story was set in New Orleans, where things like werewolves and other beings that go bump in the night (not to mention naked men calmly strolling down the street) barely raise an eyebrow.
And the action, mostly that last scene of wolves chasing the car during a tropical storm, was gritty, intense, and vividly depicted.

The story also had the requisite heaping of secondary characters who either provided comic relief and sarcasm (Remy's pack mates—even Cooper made an appearance) or important information on the werewolf lore and werewolf hunters (Triana's mother and the villains).
That last "prediction" why the Pack is suddenly gaining members (either in the form of soul-mates or additional betas and omegas) was rather chilling, but I'm looking forward to the direction this series is taking.

review 2018-05-24 10:00
Release Day Review! Wolf Moon (The McKenna Legacy #7) Patricia Rosemoor!
Wolf Moon - Patricia Rosemoor

RT Book Review: 4.5 stars TOP PICK

Aileen McKenna came to the remote town of Wolf Creek to study wolves in the wild and ran into Rhys Lindgren, an enigmatic man with dark secrets and a connection to the local wolf pack. Frightened townspeople were convinced a predatory wolf was on the loose after three men were found dead in the woods. Rhys didn’t believe it any more than Aileen, and she intended to prove the wolves’ innocence. But would Rhys take her into the snow-covered forest to do just that? She'd have to be alone with him and trust him to draw out a killer…

The seventh book in the McKenna Legacy series is one intriguing read. It is full of anticipation building suspense that keeps readers glued to the pages and on the edge of their seat. The story takes place at a steady pace that ensures that readers are never bored and one that along with the wonderfully intriguing setting keeps readers aware that danger could strike at any moment. Aileen and Rhys are strong, compelling characters that easily draw readers to them and ensures that they want to know everything about their story. Their romance is sweet but full of anticipation as well while they each try to unravel secrets while they are facing an unknown danger as well. The town itself like I said is intriguing which adds to the suspense and adds a kind of mystifying fell to the story.

Patricia Rosemoor has a gift for making her stories seem intense and holding her readers hostage with hair raising suspense that sends delightful tingles of anticipation down the spine. This is the first book I have read of the McKenna Legacy but since the stories could be read as standalone that was no problem and the story certainly aroused my curiosity about the other McKenna and their stories so I will be reading them soon.

Wolf Moon (originally published as Wolf Moon by Harlequin Intrigue) is the 7th book in the McKenna Legacy series which includes:

See Me in Your Dreams

Tell Me No Lies

Touch Me in the Dark

Never Cry Wolf

Mysterious Stranger

Cowboy Protector

Wolf Moon

In Name Only (soon to be re-released)

Recuing the Virgin (soon to be re-released)

Stealing Thunder (soon to be re-released)

Saving Grace (soon to be re-released)

Brazen (soon to be re-released)

Deal Breaker (soon to be re-released)

Wolf Moon is available in ebook at:

Amazon   Kobo

The Recipe Box: A Novel - Viola Shipman
audiobook
Excellent narration
Recipes excellent
Sweet, heartwarming this book brought back so many fond memories of my youth in upper Michigan. This is a book with strong family ties, great relationships, honesty and courage, not game playing. I felt good, peaceful and happy while reading it. A fabulous summer feel good read.
I loved this tale of upper an Upper Michigan woman/pastry chef and the orchard her family owns. She was raised on her family's orchard, a multi generation owned business. She wants to make her own mark on the world so she leaves and goes to NY to work under a famous pastry chef. Things happen, life changes, and she finds herself heading home for some thinking and her grandmother's 75th birthday celebration. Once there she is drawn into the power of family and food, and re-centers her life and her heart.
Pie, pie, pie, oh the pies in this book ! There are recipes, good ones I've tried three so far. The only downfall to the audio version is that I had to write them down while play pause/play pause it took some time. I ordered the hard copy so I'll have them soon.

review 2018-05-23 17:41
Personal dislikes
The Viscount and the Vixen - Lorraine Heath

I thought I could do this one because I enjoy Heath's writing but my personal dislike issues got in the way. Not a fan of secret trying to pass off as hero's baby angst, insta-lust, or first chapter starting off like this:

Leaning forward, he dug his elbows into his thighs. “I’m simply striving to determine why a woman as young and lovely as yourself would be willing to lie on her back so a man as shriveled as my father can slide on top of her.”
“Locke!” his father bellowed. “You’ve gone too far. Get the hell out.”
“It’s quite all right, my lord,” she said calmly, never taking her challenging gaze from Locke’s, not flinching, not blushing, not so much as arching a thinly shaped eyebrow at him. “I don’t see that your father’s preferred position for coupling is really any of your concern. Perhaps he will take me standing while coming in at me from behind. Or on my knees. Or upside down. But I assure you, he will not be shriveled.”
Then she slowly lowered those damned whiskey eyes to his lap, and he cursed his cock’s betrayal. With startling detail, images of him with her in all those positions had flown through his mind. He’d grown so hard and aching that he couldn’t have gotten up and walked out if he wanted.

In a contemporary, would love this heroine's response, in historical, just not what I am personally looking for.