logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: romantic
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-08 10:38
Homme Fatal: "The Romantic Agony" by Mario Praz, A. Davidson (Trans)
The Romantic Agony - Mario Praz,Frank Kermode

(Original Review, 1981-03-25)

Speaking of the femme fatale or fatale woman, she is hardly an invention of noir however automatically we identify the two. So much has focused on who and what Sam is, and what he is like, that Brigid's literary identity as opposed to her character and role in the plot get a little lost, which is exacerbated by our tendency to think of the archetype as inextricably identified with film noir. Brigid is an iconic femme fatale but the femme fatale is an ancient literary archetype, at least as old as Aeschylus' Prometheus is, for example Sophocles' Sphinx or Medusa.

If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

review 2018-12-05 01:04
The Copenhagen Connection
The Copenhagen Connection - Elizabeth Peters

I'm not at all sure what to say about this book.  It's ... not great.  Definitely not one of Peters' best by a long shot, but it's oddly readable.

The MC, Elizabeth, is on the plane, on her way to Denmark for a long awaited vacation, when she spots her literary idol on the plane too.  In an effort to meet her, Elizabeth contrives to make an idiot of herself (sorry, I don't understand fandom), but she does get to meet her.  Upon dis-embarking the flight, the author's secretary suffers an 'accident' that breaks her arm, and Elizabeth is there to offer her temporary services.  Did I mention the author's son is traveling with her?  The tall, good-looking, yet taciturn son?

This whole setup is the most improbable part of the story.  From here it devolves into the author going missing - did she leave on her own or was she kidnapped? - being spotted in various disguises around Copenhagen, threatening notes, ransom demands, kidnapping and, of course, romance.  With the tall, taciturn, jackass of a son.  What Elizabeth sees in him I haven't a clue, because even when he's saving her (just the once, and not really), he's a pompous braggart.  This one definitely falls into the 'ludicrous' category of romantic adventure.

Still, Peters' has a way about her writing, so that even when it's bad, it's not DNF bad.  In this particular example I can't guess what that way is, because really, the characters weren't that great, and got knows the plot was ... dumb.  Yet I kept reading it, and I wasn't yelling at it, or even complaining.  Smirking ... there was an above average amount of smirking.  Think of it as an entertaining read in the way old 'B' movies are entertaining. No value, but not the worst way you could waste a few hours.

review 2018-12-01 21:47
Rich List Romantic Comedy Series by Talia Hunter
Rich List Romantic Comedy Series - Talia Hunter

Forget stereotypes, ignore ego and activate your sense of humor. Talia Hunter targets the heart with witty dialogue, irresistible characters and enjoyable storytelling. Rich List appeals to that hint of naughty with a dash of sweet and an abundance of fun. Not to be missed.

review 2018-11-28 14:39
ARC REVIEW Tiger's Claim by Celia Kyle
Wolf's Mate - Celia Kyle
Tiger's Claim - Celia Kyle

Tiger's Claim (Shifter Rogues, #2)

Rogue Shifters #2, I knew from the first book with how dickish Cole acted toward Declan trying to lure Abby away that he would get his comeuppance when it came to his book and boy does Stella lead him on a merry chase. I would recommend reading Wolf's Mate first just because it has an ongoing story arc. Third person POV that switches from Cole's perspective to Stella's with a couple of chapters from Grant which means I am going to assume the next book is his, and with what's going on in his chapters I can't wait for. This is a well paced PNR with plenty of action and I loved the chemistry between Cole and Stella. Stella is headstrong and determined and even though she sometimes doesn't think things through and ends up in trouble Cole loves her for it. He loves her fighting spirit their arguing acts like an aphrodisiac for them both.

Stella Moore lost her twin when they were kids, she was taken by the anti-shifter organization after she accidentally shifted in public. The Moore family fell apart after that and now Stella has no one. Stella is determined to get revenge on the man who stole her sister, James Walters, he's a very wealthy man who is deep with Unified Humanity and Stella is going to kill him.

Cole Turner normally works with explosives but with his family being rich the team needed his last name and his family connection to get an "in" with Walters, so this time around Cole is working undercover. Cole knew at first glance that Stella was something special, he knew at the first whiff of C4 from the bomb she had under her dress that she was the one for him, it just took both of them a while to admit it. In order to protect the op and Stella they have to bring her in on it even if having her there now is a distraction for Cole that can lead to some very dangerous consequences.

Overall, it was another outstanding book. It's a great PNR Suspense, plenty of action and romance with enough internal conflict to make the characters interesting and to hook you into their world.

review 2018-11-23 15:30
BLOG TOUR Desperate by A.K. Evans

Today we have the blog tour for A.K. Evans upcoming romance, Desperate. Check it out and get your copy today!

Title: Desperate

Author: A.K. Evans

Genre: Contemporary Romance

About Desperate:

Ekko Rose is no stranger to struggle. Even though she’s experienced more than her fair share of hardship, she has dreams she wants to fulfill. But when another stroke of bad luck leaves her homeless, Ekko's only option is to focus on survival.

Dominick ‘Dom’ Moore has had his eyes on Ekko ever since he saved her life several months ago. He kept his distance then because she was attached to another man. Now, seeing her living out of her car, Dom resolves to help her get back on her feet.

When Dom approaches Ekko, she wrestles with knowing her rightful place in the world and desperately wanting to latch onto something better. Just as the pair fall hard for one another, Ekko’s streak of misfortune delivers one more blow. With their relationship thrown into a pit of despair and hopeless desire, Dom must crack the case he’s been trying to solve for weeks. Because if he can’t, Ekko might be lost to him forever.

Get Your Copy Today:

Amazon | iBooks | B&N | Kobo | Paperback | Goodreads

This book exceeded all my expectations. One of the few books I don't mind that it is written in first person switching POVs between Dom and Ekko. Dom is perfect book boyfriend material, it's almost annoying how perfect he is but that doesn't turn me off in any way I still want him to be my book boyfriend. Ekko hasn't had an easy life, she thinks the only luck she has is bad luck, until Dom walk into her life again. Ekko is days away from earning enough money to getting her own place when she finds out her ex-boyfriend/roommate is selling drugs she decides living in her car is a better choice. Dom has been  keeping an eye on Ekko ever since he saved her from being kidnapped and sold into white slavery. He's known since the moment he saw her that she was going to be his, but he bided his time until he was sure she wasn't in a relationship. When he finds her sleeping in his car he makes his move.

Good things start to happen and Ekko is waiting for the other shoe to drop because for her nothing good lasts forever. Dom is determined to show and give Ekko the life she deserves and not the life she's been dealt. But Ekko was right and life deals her one last blow that devastated her enough to break up with Dom. That's not all Dom has a case that has him completely dumbfounded he doesn't realize until almost to late there's a threat to Ekko as well.

Overall, I loved this book. The characters are well written you really empathize with Ekko and Dom is just yummy I want one of him. The story is well thought out and well paced it did have has much excitement and suspense as the last book Overcome but it was still very good the main focus was the relationship between Ekko and Dom and dealing with Ekko's emotional hesitation when it comes to her relationship with Dom.  It was emotional and exciting the end was just, wow. I can't wait for more.

Check out the Trailer:

About the Author:

A.K. Evans is a married mother of two boys residing in a small town in northeastern Pennsylvania. After graduating from Lafayette College in 2004 with two degrees (one in English and one in Economics & Business), she pursued a career in the insurance and financial services industry. Not long after, Evans realized the career was not for her. She went on to manage her husband’s performance automotive business and drive the shop race cars for the next thirteen years. While the business afforded her freedoms she wouldn’t necessarily have had in a typical 9-5 job, after eleven years she was no longer receiving personal fulfillment from her chosen career path. Following many discussions, lots of thought, and tons of encouragement, Andrea decided to pursue her dream of becoming a writer. Between her day job, writing, and homeschooling her two boys, Evans is left with very little free time. When she finds scraps of spare time, she enjoys reading, doing yoga, watching NY Rangers hockey, dancing, and vacationing with her family. Andrea, her husband, and her children are currently working on taking road trips to visit all 50 states (though, Alaska and Hawaii might require flights).

Connect with A.K.: