logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: romantic
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-13 07:55
Found
Reckoning - Jessica Ruben

Eve was enjoying her time as a Freshman at Columbia University.  She earned her scholarship here.  The future as a lawyer is her dream, and she is almost there.

Vincent has no idea that Eve is going to turn up where he is finishing school.  He is wrapped up in several things at the moment.  All things he does not want to taint Eve with.  How to have her and not mix those worlds?

Their love is very sexy and highly emotional.  This story is high with the heat and very heartfelt.  As the sparks fly in many directions, Vincent stresses out trying to keep his worlds apart so they do not collide.  I am so excited for the conclusion and hope the author hurries!  I give this ARC copy a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

review 2018-06-11 14:25
Like the Room With Romance: Missing Heart That Most Roberts Romance Books Have
Come Sundown - Nora Roberts

What a weird book. Someone commented yesterday that this was like a Nora Roberts book if JD Robb wrote it, and it's true. Switching back and forth between a woman who was abducted, raped, and forced to give birth multiple times over with the romance portion of the book did not gel well with me at all. I also think this book was overly long (we get way too many descriptions about how to run a ranch, about horses, etc.) and I thought that the ending wasn't very well thought out in my opinion. It made no sense and made me scratch my head for a bit.

"Come Sundown" is about the Bodine/Longbow family. A highly successful family who all love each other and work at the family ranch/resort they are going about their day to day lives when an old family friend returns to the area. When he shows back up, women start turning up murdered. And in between wondering who is murdering these women, a long lost relative of the Bodine family's reappears.

One of the main characters, Bodine Longbow (named Bodine for her mother's side of the family) runs her family's ranch and resort in Montana. She has two brothers (Chase and Rory). When one of her local horse guides ends up not being able to work, she decides to hire an old family friend, Callen Skinner. Of course Bodine and Callen (Cal) start to fall for each other. While that is all going on, Bodine's brothers start romances of their own. When women start showing up murdered though, a local deputy starts to circle in on Cal thinking he must have something to do with it. And when Bodine's Aunt Alice is found 25 years after she left home, her story about being abducted and raped repeatedly has the family doing what it can to keep her safe from a man that she rightfully fears.

I liked the character of Bodine okay. She definitely knew how to do her job. I will say that it made no sense that she was put in charge of the family business though at her age. I don't think that Roberts tells us how old anyone is really in this book, but I hazarded a guess there. I discussed the age/timeline thing further down below.

I am also going to say that Bodine's romance with Cal didn't ring true at all. They had absolutely no chemistry with each other. If anything, it would have made more sense for these two to just be friends. Maybe a deputy or someone else could have been the one to romance Bodine.

I didn't find the other romances that her brothers had in this book to be believable either. I just don't think Roberts had enough "room" so to speak to include all of these people and make you think that they all somehow found true love at the same time. It's typical Roberts though, she does love her 6 couples in most of her romance books, so I don't know why I was surprised at Bodine/Cal, Chase/Jessica, and Rory/Chelsea. Also I didn't need dialogue between Jessica and Bodine with Jessica telling Bodine how great her brother was in bed. I think that happened. I maybe went la, la, la at some point. The three women and men don't really make sense to me in a friendship type of way either. There is a terrible scene where they all show up to watch Cal fight someone (yes that happened) and at that point I wondered why I was reading this mess.

There are other characters in this one. Alice and her story was heartbreaking. I really think that Roberts should have made this two separate books. Maybe the main reason that I couldn't get into the romance was reading about the things done to Alice in the past and then seeing her struggle so much in the future. And it was weird how Roberts showed her being selfish in the present and the two sisters fighting. I don't know, everyone acted like it was normal and I thought once again it was odd.

We hear about Sir (the man who abducted Alice) but you are able to put two and two together and realize who must have been behind abducting and killing the other women in this story.

The writing was just okay in this one. I think the biggest issue is that the majority of the book is taken up about business and the day to day running of the ranch. You get that broken up with descriptions of what Alice had to endure. So you get present events mixed up with past events and I still have to wonder how old some of the characters were in this book since we find out that Alice was abducted 25 years ago. Does that mean that Bodine is somehow running a ranch and being a highly successful businesswoman in her early 20s? She's not the oldest member of the siblings so I had to hard pause at that point and do some math and then just gave up. After reading the JD Robb books for many years, I am just resigned to the face that Roberts doesn't pay much attention to dates/timelines.

The flow was not good at all. The first 1/3 of this book drags. The 2/3 picks up a bit, but the final 1/3 of the book drags again until the very end when all is revealed in a ham-fisted way.

The setting of Montana is one that Roberts has written about before. I was curious about this book, since I initially thought it may be a sequel to Montana Sky. Of course it's not a sequel, but the character of Willa in that book reminded me of Bodine a lot.

The ending goes from murderous rampage and death to a happily ever after that still felt weird to me. I wonder if the book would have worked better if we had Chase/Jessica as the main romantic leads or what.

review 2018-06-05 08:10
Blog Tour w/Review - All The Pretty Girls

All The Pretty Girls

A Next Generation Novel

atpg_3

"All the Pretty Girls keeps you on the edge of your seat. Mystery and romance twisted together in one great book."

BUY NOW>> http://geni.us/w7pUH

The road was long, it was painful, and it was raw. It has taken me four years to come to terms with my new reality. A life in which I live with the daily reminders of a vicious attack that has left me scarred both emotionally and physically. Years of recovery and acceptance were torn apart and obliterated the day Special Agent Nick Clark barges into my life. He says the person who attacked me and left me for dead is back. He says I was the first victim – the one who got away. He promises to protect me. But he can’t, no one can.

Nick is relentless in his pursuit and promises me the things I can’t afford to have – like hope for a future with the sexy FBI agent. But hope and love and promises can’t protect me, not when I’m next on the killer's list. Meadow Holiday is the missing piece, the woman I’ve been searching for. And it has nothing to do with her being a witness in an unsolved serial killer case I’ve had sitting on my desk for the last four years. I had no business falling in love in the middle of a murder investigation but she’s the one. I feel it deep in my bones. I knew the first time I laid eyes on the shy, beautiful woman that she was mine. Now I'm left with the daunting task of convincing her I'm enough. Can Nick save Meadow in time and prove his love can heal all wounds, or is he already too late to fix what a sadist serial killer has broken?

Fashion Couple, Dramatic image shot

All the Pretty Girls (The Next Generation Book 1)All the Pretty Girls by Riley Edwards
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Nick has been haunted by a case where a serial killer has a hobby as a butcher. Then he meets the injured Meadow. Their strong when together.

Meadow has wanted Nick from afar. When they finally meet - its like fate had made it happen. The future will be brighter if they can solve the mystery that no one else can.

Seriously intense, this book has you pulled in from the very first page. I could not put it down myself. The story has a pretty quick pace, and moves along giving us all both goosebumps and a great new series to sink our teeth into.

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

Amazon ~ Bookbub ~ Goodreads ~ Instagram ~ Twitter ~ Facebook reader group Newsletter https://www.subscribepage.com/RRsignup

OTHER BOOKS BY RILEY EDWARDS

review 2018-06-05 04:29
Suspenseful
All The Pretty Girls - Riley Edwards

Nick has been haunted by a case where a serial killer has a hobby as a butcher.  Then he meets the injured Meadow.  Their strong when together.

Meadow has wanted Nick from afar.  When they finally meet - its like fate had made it happen.  The future will be brighter if they can solve the mystery that no one else can.

Seriously intense, this book has you pulled in from the very first page.  I could not put it down myself.  The story has a pretty quick pace, and moves along giving us all both goosebumps and a great new series to sink our teeth into.  I give this a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-06-02 03:44
A reread, and I finally figured this one out
Be Buried in the Rain - Barbara Michaels

I've read this at least three times, maybe more, with the most recent reread about a year ago when I was reading all of the Barbara Michaels gothics that I have.

That particular reread was with a specific purpose: I had started writing another contemporary romantic-suspense-with-ghosts and I wanted to get good handle on how Michaels had structured hers.  I already knew Ammie, Come Home had serious plot and detail problems.  Be Buried in the Rain was written about twenty years later, so I was hoping she had improved her technique.

Be Buried in the Rain was also one of my favorites of the Michaels gothics, along with Houses of Stone and The Walker in Shadows.  Even though I read all three books last year, I still had some issues with both Houses and Be Buried.  So although I'm already involved in several other reading projects, this afternoon I picked up the latter to see if I could finally figure out the solution to my problem with it . . . or accept that maybe Michaels had left a major thread dangling.

And I think I did it.  In the process, I gained a grand new respect for the writer Michaels/Mertz/Peters became after the almost laughable errors in Ammie.

No spoiler posted here, and maybe everyone else who has read Be Buried in the Rain picked up on this detail the first time through and I'm just the dullard who missed it until the (at least) fourth read.  But I feel more confident tonight about my own writing.

And now, back to my own ghosts!