logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: scott-fitzgerald
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-12-25 12:20
This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald
This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald is an intriguing book. I received a complimentary Kindle copy in an Amazon promotion. That did not change my opinion for this review.

I gave it four stars.

"This Side of Paradise is the debut novel of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Published in 1920, and taking its title from a line of the Rupert Brooke poem Tiare Tahiti, the book examines the lives and morality of post-World War I youth."

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/This-Side-Paradise-Scott-Fitzgerald/dp/1514650363

review 2019-09-29 00:00
Like many others I was more than a little sad when...
Coast to Coast - F. Scott Fitzgerald,V.L. Locey

'The Harrisburg Railers' came to an end...but all that changed with 'Coast to Coast' the first book in the 'Arizona Raptors', RJ Scott and V.L. Locey's latest series and the much awaited  spin off to 'The Harrisburg Railers'.

Before Mark Westman-Reid's father died, he did two things that at first notice most would consider to be more than a little foolish...first... he signed Rowan Carmichael to leave his job coaching university level hockey and move to Arizona to try and save what most would consider one of, if not the worst team in professional hockey...The Arizona Raptors. It would take less time to explain what was good about this team than what isn't. The Raptors are a disaster of epic proportions and the second thing that father Westman-Reid did was in his will because if his brothers can't convince Mark to come home for one year and help them try to save the Raptors...the family will loose everything...well, everyone except Mark that is because when his father rejected him for being gay, Mark made his own way in the world and has managed to create a very successful modelling agency that doesn't depend on the wealth of the Westman-Reid family or the success of a failing hockey team.

I've been anxiously awaiting this newest venture into the world of hockey by this writing duo and I can happily say that I have not been disappointed. 'Coast to Coast' has laid the groundwork for a series that promises to deliver stories and characters that are every bit as enjoyable as we were treated to with 'The Harrisburg Railers' stories.

In 'Coast to Coast' as well as meeting Mark and Rowan we are introduced to the rest of the Westman-Reid family and several members of the Raptors including some that we have met before in both 'The Harrisburg Railers' and 'Owatonna U Hockey' series.

I really liked Mark and Rowan...their personalities, the banter and interaction between them, the way they challenged each other...this pairing worked for me and I'm really hoping that the trend of having characters recur in subsequent stories continues and we get to see more of these two.

Mark may not know hockey, but when it comes to running a successful business he's no slouch and if the Raptors want to have a hope in hades of getting back on their feet they're going to need all the help they can get. It's going to take Mark, his brothers and the sister that is not only determined to see the Raptors turn around as a team but to see her family reunited as well.

The Raptors are a mess and as well as proving to the upper management (code talk for the Westman-Reid family) that he is the man they need to get their team back on track but it's going to take a lot of changes the least of which is getting some fresh blood among the players, losing some of the more toxic veterans on the team...members that those who have read the Railers series will be more than happy to see go the way of the dodo bird and then there's the coaching staff that needs to be sorted out as well...it's going to be a challenging job and then some.

It's not always a given that enjoying a series will mean you like anything that spins off from it, so I'm definitely calling it a win that for me 'Coast to Coast' has gotten this series off to as good of a start as I had with 'The Harrisburg Railers' and I'm already anticipating reading whatever comes next for this team.

************************

An ARC of 'Coast to Coast' was graciously provided by the authors in exchange for an honest review.

review 2019-02-26 18:35
Goalies aren't suppose to score much less get a 'hat trick'...
Hat Trick (Harrisburg Railers #8) - V.L. Locey,RJ Scott

right? Well no one told this to Stan and he's about to score the 'Hat Trick' to end all 'Hat Tricks' but honestly it's not on the ice.

I adore Stan and Erik, along with Erik's son Noah and Stan's mom and sister the family they're creating is so much fun to spend time with but now with the ringing of a phone things are about to change in ways that neither Stan or Erik had anticipated...wanted but hadn't quite anticipated yet.

Stan's heading back to Russia to collect his cousin's orphaned children and bring them back to America to become a part of the 'someday' family that he and Erik want to have...only, someday maybe wasn't suppose to be quite so soon.

I loved how Stan and Erik just did this...there was no should we? shouldn't we? this is family and they need a home so yes, there were logistics to deal with but doing it, giving these two children a home was never a decision to be made but that's not to say that there weren't concerns...Stan's gay and he's in a relationship with a man...it's not a secret and Stan's heading back to Russia...not a great place to go if you're gay...but he knows people.

So while it's stressful for Stan having to go back to Russia and for Erik having the man he loves travel to a place that's maybe not the safest place for him to be on his own no matter how big of a bear he is. What there isn't is a lot of unnecessary drama...me likey!

The focus of this story was Stan and Erik and while each man had their own pressure to deal with to make this happen they did it and they did it as a couple...no added drama or 'miscommunications' just a couple working together to make something that needed to happen...happen. Actually it wasn't even just a couple because Stan's mom was right there to do her part and Stan's sister totally stepped in to help as well because hey, this is what family does.

I adore this series it's just so easy to get into and as much as I love Stan and Erik or Ten and Mads, I'd love more about the other characters we've met as well...like...Layton and Adler, Trent and Dieter, Max and Ben or one of my other personal favorites Bryan and his tattoo artist Gatlin...more about any or all of these men would not be amiss in my world.

Sometimes it comes down to screw the angst and conflict and extra drama I just want something with characters who make me smile and stories that keep making me smile and leave me feeling like my world's a little bit of a better place and the 'Harrisburg Railers' do that for me.

*************************

An ARC of 'Hat Trick' was graciously provided by the authors in exchange for an honest review.

review 2018-12-11 15:00
Ruthless Pursuit: "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

(Original review, 1981-04-30)

“The Great Gatsby” is essentially a love story. Daisy turns out to be as unattainable to Jay as Beatrice was to Dante but this being the US, the hero doesn't elevate his idol to muse status; instead he embarks on a ruthless pursuit that ends up destroying him.

It's difficult in the present era of throwaway relationships to comprehend the extent of Gatsby's romantic obsession. The questions are: 1) would he have taken to crime had Daisy returned his love and told her wealthy family to go to hell and 2) did he love Daisy precisely because she was a romantic chimera, a glamorous woman who represented a rarefied world he wished to conquer?

If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

review 2018-12-06 03:23
‘Tis the season to play hockey…fahlalalalalalalala…
Neutral Zone - V.L. Locey,RJ Scott

Can you all believe it? It’s getting to be that time of year again and no, I’m not just talking about hockey season…Christmas is coming and I admit I love reading Christmas stories but really as a Canadian I have to say there’s nothing better than a Christmas story about hockey players and when it involves the characters from a series that I’ve been enjoying throughout the past year…well does it get any better? I think not.

First off though if you haven’t read R.J. Scott & V.L. Locey’s ‘Harrisburg Railers’ series…what are you waiting for? It’s Christmas time treat yourself to something good because you’re going to want to read the rest of the series first if you really want to enjoy this one and this one is worth enjoying.

‘Neutral Zone’ is a chance to revisit Ten and Mads (that’s Tennant Rowe & Jared Madsen). We first met Ten and Mad in ‘Changing Lines’ book one in this series and they’ve appeared on an off throughout the series but here in ‘Neutral Zone’ we get to catch up with them following a hockey related accident that has turned their world on end (you need to read ‘Goal Line’) for the details about this.

With Ten off in Arizona working hard to put himself back together and Mads back in Harrisburg giving it all he’s got to be the strong and supportive boyfriend that Ten needs it’s going to take everything that they’ve both got to keep their lives on track but neither man is willing to give it anything less than 110%. They’re both strong and fighters.

Basically, I loved…seriously LOVED this story. For me Christmas is about family, it’s about faith and hope, it’s about love and most of all a time for miracles even the ones that we make for ourselves. Ironically what I loved the most about this story was the fact that the only real miracle in this story was the miracle of love (yeah, I know I’m sappy). Ten’s struggles didn’t magically go away or get better or even easier but he’s a strong and determined young man and it’s with the love and support of his family and Mads the man who means the world to him that he finds the strength to keep working to keep fighting and believe in himself.

‘Neutral Zone’ was a perfect start to my holiday reading season and while I didn’t get to catch up with all the Railers…we got a Stan fix!!! and of all the Railers their hulking big Russian goalie of a teddy bear is definitely one of my favorites and he never fails to make me smile. If you’re a fan of this series you going to wan to read this one and if you haven’t had the Railers experience yet…seriously check it out this is one awesome hockey team and they’re not even Canadian, seriously can you imagine how cool are they?

*************************

An ARC of ‘Neutral Zone’ was graciously provided by the authors in exchange for an honest review.