logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: sex-positive
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-01-18 20:10
WORDSLUT: A Feminist Guide to Taking Back the English Language - Amanda Montell
WORDSLUT: A Feminist Guide to Taking Back the English Language - Amanda Montell

Well done! Witty, zippy, a strong emphasis on the value of actual research. Montell addresses many of the topics that make so many cranky these days: all the things that are primarily ascribed to women or girls, of course. A bit of intersectionality, although without losing focus on the core theme. A good overview of linguistics for those who aren't already familiar with the field.

I just read through thirteen pages of definitions and examples on Urban Dictionary, a staggering number seemingly by offended men, which fail to mention Solnit's essay "Men Explain Things To Me", or the first recorded appearance of the word on LiveJournal, and also fail to provide a usable definition or an appropriate example. One entry appeared to conflate "manspaining" with "manspreading". The irony, it burns.

Library copy

review 2019-12-25 18:50
Positive Thinking: Discover the Power of Positive Thinking and Change Your Mindset to Become an Optimist (Mind Hacks, Positive Thinking, Positive Affirmations, ... Power, Inner Happiness, Motivation Book 3) - Hanif Raah,Mind Hacks

Positive Thinking Discover the Power of Positive Thinking and Change Your Mindset to Become an Optimist Part of the (Mind Hacks) series by Hanif Raah is a good how-to book.

I received a complimentary Kindle copy in an Amazon promotion. That did not change my opinion for this review.

I gave this Positive Thinking book on how to become an optimist four stars.

"Positive thinking is the best and most powerful tool you can have to achieve happiness and success. Research studies confirm that it brings about happiness, health, success, inner peace, improved relationships and longevity. It makes your life easier, richer and more fun."

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Positive-Thinking-Affirmations-Happiness-Motivation-ebook/dp/B00UTY3V26

review 2019-12-25 18:29
Positive Thinking: Tips To Truly Improving Your: Mindset, Thinking, Happiness , and Living the life you want! - Katelyn Williams

Positive Thinking Tips to Truly Improving Your Mindset, Thinking, Happiness, and Living Life the Way You Want! by Katelyn Williams is a good how-to book.

I gave this basic how-to book four stars because it shared good ideas.

"This book is meant to teach you how to move past those negative moments and try to focus more on the positive aspects of situations in your life. It's about learning from mistakes rather than dwelling on them, and knowing that every moment in life is a teachable moment for you."

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Positive-Thinking-Improving-Mindset-Happiness/dp/B01975SSYS

show activity (+)
review 2019-12-07 18:16
A Company of Swans - Eva Ibbotson
A Company of Swans - Eva Ibbotson

Harriet is the daughter of the worst professor at Cambridge, a man who doesn't mind teaching her Latin, but won't even consider the possibility of her attending university. Her aunt, Louisa, keeps house for them and is the cheapest person ever, so were Harriet to hack them to pieces with an ax, no one would be surprised. fortunately, Harriet is offered the opportunity to join the corps of a ballet troupe headed up the Amazon for an extended stay among the insanely wealthy rubber barons of 1912.
It's a delightful book. Just as in [book:A Countess Below Stairs|714569], the heroine isn't brilliant at everything, but she is charming and kind. The hero is a good man, which we know because of his efforts to protect a native tribe (or two). Sure he's a colonial making a fortune, but he treats his workers well, and cares about their long-term interests (if not their land rights).
In addition, we are treated to the amusing characters of the ballet company, a buffoon of a suitor for Harriet, an entrancing young boy, a scheming Scarlett O'Hara type, and quite a lot of natural history. Fleas get their due, as does a coati.
The magic of the book is that Ibbotson tells an Edwardian love story in a way that mostly feels authentic and also progressive. Perhaps it's because when the author brings in a <i>deus ex machina</i> she proclaims it as such. Maybe it's because our leads are enjoying everything unabashedly. I don't know, what the magic is, but I bet you anything you like that Ibbotson had FUN writing this book.

Library copy.

review 2019-09-23 00:00
Witches, Sluts, Feminists: Conjuring the Sex Positive
Witches, Sluts, Feminists: Conjuring the... Witches, Sluts, Feminists: Conjuring the Sex Positive - Kristen J. Sollee Read this in one sitting, & by the end, I was mostly skimming it.
Not sure who this book is for - it's a survey, but most of the information in it I already knew just by virtue of being a feminist online. It feels incredibly dated for being in print just a couple of years. I don't know who I could recommend this book to who would be interested in the topic, but not familiar with the information covered.

The concept of linking witches, sluts, and feminists together doesn't develop much further than to outline the fact that both witch & slut stereotypes are patriarchal in nature.

This book has an extensive works cited, & it mostly made me wish that I had chosen to read one of the other books mentioned instead.