logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: shelf-12
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-02-07 03:35
Pretty Good
California Girls - Susan Mallery

My first book from this author. I expected grocery store cookie cutter romance. It was a library shelf surfing find, I needed something light, it was light with a touch of sadness. The characters were all interesting, will developed and likeable. It didn't follow to obvious road of romance novels, it was an enjoyable surprise. I'll give this author another try,

review 2020-02-02 01:03
Kindred
Kindred - Octavia E. Butler

I don't read a lot of sci-fi, but I'm trying to stretch myself this year. Kindred isn't as sci-fi as I expected, which possibly added to my enjoyment. I wasn't planning on starting the book until this month, but since it took me so long to read The Warmth of Other Suns I thought I should start early. I finished in three days. The ending was a little abrupt, and I wanted a little more time with some of the characters, but other than that the book is very good. Butler writes about horrifying material in a way that is both readable and non-desensitizing.

review 2020-01-23 01:04
Echo
Echo - Pam Muñoz Ryan

A coworker recommended this book to me at least a year ago and it took me until now to read it. I'm very glad I did though. (I read part on desk and that was a mistake because I kept wanting to cry.)

The stories each on their own are compelling, covering (probably) lesser-known aspects of well-known time periods. And they all come together in interesting ways.

The book is very long and by the time I got to the end I had kind of forgotten the beginning (much like the first time I watched Moulin Rouge... it took me three days to get through it). So as I was reading the ending I was kind of like, "What is happening? This feels a little like a cop out." But then I went and reread the beginning and remembered a kind of important fact that I had forgotten which really changed the way I was reading the end and made it more enjoyable.

review 2020-01-17 18:53
Last Stop on Market Street
Last Stop on Market Street - Matt de la Peña,Christian Robinson

I think I've reviewed this book about three times now, but I just can't stop coming back to it.

I'm currently reading Echo which was a Newbery honor book in 2016, the same year Last Stop on Market Street won the medal. I wanted to see if I thought Last Stop really deserved the medal over Echo (which I'm enjoying much more than I ever liked Last Stop).

This time I really paid attention to the words, and thinking about it, de la Peña does write effectively and evocatively. There is an expansive story conveyed in very little text.

I think after this reading I better understand why Last Stop won the Newbery, though I still don't agree that it should have won.

review 2020-01-15 21:56
Ocean Meets Sky
Ocean Meets Sky - Terry Fan

I read this as an ebook, and I bet it's even better in print where you can see all the details up close. I liked the story of remembering family, and I loved the illustrations.