logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: short-story
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-20 16:50
Elevation by Stephen King
Elevation - Stephen King

What a different story from Stephen King!
When I sit to read  king book, I expect to be scared shitless. I at least figure he will take me to a scary place that is twisted and unique. Well, I got the unique part, and frankly, didn't miss the scary part.
It was such a cool little story because of the strange phenomenon that happens. It really made me wonder, 'what if?'.
This story is now one of my favorites. The emotions I had mixed with master storytelling makes it a fantastic read! You should definitely read it too!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2019/01/elevation-by-stephen-king-4.html
review 2019-01-16 18:13
Book Review: Have You Got Everything You Want?
Have You Got Everything You Want? (A Short Story) - Agatha Christie

Title: Have You Got Everything You Want?
Author: Agatha Christie
Series: Parker Pyne
Format: bind-up
Length: 20-ish pages
Rating: 3 stars

Synopsis: Elsie Jeffries, married for eighteen months to successful businessman Edward Jeffries, meets Parker Pyne by chance on the Simplon-Orient Express. She has seen Pyne’s advertisements and feels he may be able to help her. She tells Pyne she has seen a fragment of a letter left on Edward’s blotting pad, which points to some sort of plot against her, to be carried out while she is on the train to Stamboul.

Favourite character: Parker Pyne
Least favourite character: N/A

Mini-review: I thought this was a good short story, my only problem, though, is that they’re too short. These could be amazing as full length books, but alas that will never happen. I would’ve loved a book series featuring Parker Pyne.

review 2019-01-16 17:30
THE SEA WAS A FAIR MASTER by Calvin Demmer
The Sea Was a Fair Master - Calvin Demmer

THE SEA WAS A FAIR MASTER is a top notch collection of flash fiction!

I have always thought that flash fiction consisted of stories that were only a few sentences long. For example: "The last man in the world heard a knock at the door." That type of thing. I was wrong. Apparently flash fiction can be super short stories-say a page or two. Four to five. Six to seven. Now that I know the correct definition of flash fiction, I'll say this: I love it!

I read a ton of single author story collections and multiple author anthologies throughout the year. I've done this since about the age of 12. It seems to me that stories back then were shorter than the tales these days. The last one I read had two stories that were the length of novellas. Not that I'm complaining, but I like my short stories to actually be short. These are!

What I liked most about the tales here is that they were all dark, they had lots of variety, and they were ALL GOOD. Seriously, every single one of them made me feel something, made me think, made me chuckle, or made me marvel at how well written they were.

My absolute favorite was YARA. Incredibly poignant and super short. It's amazing to me that such feeling and emotion can be communicated in only a few pages, but Calvin Demmer is a master at doing just that.

LETTING THE DEAD GROW and HUMANS OR SNAKES were another two stories with disturbing imagery while at the same time being wildly creative. UNDERNEATH, BLIND TEDDY, REVENGE OF THE MYTH and VOODOO CHILD round out my absolute favorites.

Usually I would tell you a little about each story, and/or about why I liked them so much, but these bite-sized pieces of entertainment are so short, I feel you need to go into them blind, as I did, and take from them what you will. I hope, (and I'm pretty darn sure), that you're going to like them as much as I, (and nearly everyone else who has read this book), did! If you like your short stories to be short, original, and have occasional punches to your gut? I doubt you could find a better volume than this.

My highest recommendation!

Get your copy here: THE SEA WAS A FAIR MASTER

*I bought the Kindle version of this book with my hard earned cash, but then the author offered to send me a paper copy with no strings attached, and I accepted.*

review 2019-01-11 18:24
Review: "Devil in the Details" (Death and the Devil, #1.8) by L.J. Hayward
Devil in the Details - L.J. Hayward

I really like how all these novellas move the overall storyline along, but why the author decided to not release a full novel instead remains her secret.

~ 4 stars ~

review 2019-01-09 14:42
Review: "When the Devil Drives" (Death and the Devil, #1.6) by L.J. Hayward
When the Devil Drives - L.J. Hayward

While I've enjoyed this compilation of 2 short stories just as much as the previous books, it also felt like Jack and Ethan's relationship is becoming stagnant. Let's hope for some more relationship development in the next book.

~ 4 stars ~