logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: shortreads
Load new posts () and activity
review 2014-05-29 00:17
Sit back and snack on some glazed spiders
In the House of the Worm - George R.R. Martin

This novella is a fine example of dark fantasy. The imagery is rich and weird and disturbing. It's a mix of horror and adventure that's claustrophobic, atmospheric, and gross. The terror of being lost in darkness, inside an underground maze, with hundreds of hungry slimy creatures swarming all around is perfectly invoked.

Imagine H.R. Giger building the world for and illustrating a tabletop role-playing game source book.

review 2014-05-29 00:07
Lousy humans!
Concrete Gods - Kealan Patrick Burke,Harry Shannon

Reading this was like stumbling onto a really cool concept in a great artist's sketchbook. Yes, of course, it's rough and not entirely fleshed out, but it's still cool as shit.

review 2014-05-26 22:31
Get your carnival freak on
Wicked Smart Carnie - Mark Matthews

I'm partial to stories about carnivals and carnies and creepy sex and cribs filled with...

You're just going to have to read this one.

You can grab the Kindle Edition free from Amazon:

review 2014-05-26 22:22
H is for Horse
The Damage Done - Mark Matthews

I saw where this one was going. But I don't know if I could say it was predictable, because it went where I wanted it to go and where I would have went with it.

I like stories about drug addicts and addiction. This story had a healthy amount of griminess, too, which I'm fond of.

You can grab this sucker free from Amazon, if you'd like:

review SPOILER ALERT! 2014-05-26 22:09
Rotten Zombie Spoilage
Zombie Dash - Mark Matthews

First off, I'm not a zombie guy. I picked this one up because it was free, and I wanted to see if the author would avoid the most obvious thing in the world he could possibly do: include real zombies in an event featuring fake zombies. Sadly, he went down the obvious path, and this was a rather large strike against this piece for me.

The story had a cluster of glaring problems that a proofreader could have fixed. 'Feel' is used when 'fell' is meant. People 'flayed' instead of 'flailed.' That sort of thing. Now this wasn't a consistent problem throughout (not that I noticed, anyway). It kind of seemed like there was a chunk of errors when things really started getting scary. Maybe the proofreader had to look away?

The storytelling on display here isn't bad and the typos aren't of the 'so maddening that you need to pull out your hair' variety. So, I certainly wouldn't try to dissuade zombie guys and gals from reading this. Not that I could, anyway.

Here you go zombie people, the URL for the free download on Amazon: