logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: signed-copy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-24 16:22
Truly, Madly, Guilty - Liane Moriarty
Truly, Madly, Guilty - Signed/Autographed Copy - Liane Moriarty

It's not a thriller.

Imagine that line as spoken by Arnold Schwarzenegger to his class in Kindergarten Cop. I start here because I saw a review saying what a disappointing thriller it was, and it would be disappointing if that was what Moriarty were shooting for. It's also not a romance, or a mystery, or a literary novel, although it does share some elements with those.

What it is is a book about regular middle class suburban couples who experience a trauma together, and how it affects their lives thereafter. It's not a big trauma, it's not newsworthy, but it affects them all, and their little kids, too. And because the author takes her work seriously, there is much more to it than just that, humor, and backstory, and a way through, and a future.

I love books like this about living in after some bad thing. Fairy tales are important because they teach us that the witch or the monster can be killed, these books (and I hope someone has a short, catchy name for the genre that isn't sexist, because I sure don't) these books demonstrate how to live through the bad things and still have a good life. I don't believe stories about people living through horrible events and being stoic and saintly and a good example. Pain doesn't make people stronger or better, it makes us angry, and short-tempered, and hell to get along with. And of course, we all have pain and most of it is garden-variety common and of no interest to others. And the older we get the more time we spend attending funerals, the more people we have to lose. These books remind us that we can still laugh at the wake, that there are many ways to comfort one another in our loss.

I'm on my way to a funeral soon

review 2015-11-20 23:34
Shadows of a Dream: Book Two - Ea Jensen

4 stars.

#2 in a series.

This series takes a full and complicated fantasy world and sets it now. I would love to be a part of this world. However, in this book, the 2nd in the series we see a darker psychological side of the faerie world amongst us.

Looking forward to what's next!

review 2015-11-01 17:19
NAMELESS BY: JENNIFER JENKINS
Nameless - Jennifer Jenkins

First off a huge thank you to Jennifer Jenkins and Goodreads for having this awesome giveaway so that I was able to win a signed copy of Nameless!

(Nameless in the wild!)

I loved this book. It grabbed me from the very first page and would not let go until the very end! I couldn't get enough of this intriguing world that Jenkins created! I found it especially interesting and unique to have this series start out on the "bad guy's" turf. Right from the get go you are thrust into this dangerous world right along side Zo, infiltrating the enemy's camp and trying to find answers. The Ram were a fascinating bunch. It was hard to believe that people could be so cold and harsh. And in turn it was compelling to see the few that were such a contrast to the norm there.

The characters were well developed and you felt for them instantly. I loved Zo, her strength, courage, and cleverness completely reeled me in. I also appreciated that she wasn't perfect. Her hatred for the Rams as a whole sometimes clouded her judgement, but I enjoyed the fact that she was slowly learning a valuable life lesson, you can't condemn all for the acts of some. Well in the Ram's case it was the acts of many of them, but after seeing the way they are raised to be cruel and unyielding it was honestly hard to imagine how any of them could turn out much different from the killing machines they were molded to be. It made those few exceptions shine especially bright, even if some of them were just starting to realize that their way of life might not be the best way.

I liked that all the new relationships forged in this book were slow building. Trust was not something that was handed out freely here, and that made sense. It ultimately made those relationships feel stronger in the end. There wasn't exactly a romance going on in this story, but there was a start of something that could be pretty amazing, which I always love. The slow burn gets me every time! The end leaves you wanting more in every aspect! I am so excited at the prospect of exploring the world outside the Ram walls! I can't wait to see more of the other clans and what their lives are like. And I am DYING to see what will become of each of the characters that I have grown so quickly attached to. I'll be lining up for this next book the minute I catch wind of it coming out!

review 2011-06-29 00:00
Beneath the Bleeding [Tony Hill] Signed copy - Val McDermid I think this is my favorite Tony Hill book thus far. Not as twisted and graphic as some of them, but incredibly well written with excellent character development. I think this book also book gave the best insight as to the quirkiness of Tony Hill with the introduction of his mother.
review 2003-03-01 00:00
A Boy's Own Story. Signed copy
A Boy's Own Story - Edmund White There are parts of this novel that stick with you years after you've read it and that says it all.