logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: st-martins-press
Load new posts () and activity
review 2016-08-31 02:05
5* Book Review of Ravage by Tillie Cole
Ravage: A Scarred Souls Novel - Tillie Cole

Summary: Is finding one’s true love worth committing the greatest sacrifice of all?

Taken as a teen, prisoner 194 was stripped of his name and freewill, meticulously honed to be a ruthless machine. Even as he tries to fight his captors hold on him he knows that obedience is the only way to save his sister, who is the one person that keeps him from turning into a monster.

As a young girl Zoya Kostava barely escaped the brutal attack that killed her entire family. Now twenty five she lives in secrecy. That is until she hears her brother also survived and is living with their greatest enemy.

Zoya risks her safety and anonymity to find the brother she thought dead and is captured by a beautiful, brutal man. A man who both captivates and scares her, in him she sees a soul as lost as her own.

They both have so much to lose will they be able to save each other…and survive.

Title: Ravage
Series: Scarred Souls #3
Author: Tillie Cole
Publisher: St Martin’s Press
Released: 16th August 2016
Genre: Dark Contemporary Romance
Format: eGalley
Source: via Publisher on NetGalley – thank you!

**Please note that this may contain spoilers for previous books in this series.**

I absolutely love this series. It’s dark, mysterious, dramatic, romantic, with alpha males up the wazoo. Tillie Cole has written a fabulous world surrounding the Russian Mafia and an underground slave ring that had me gasping in horror and oooohhhhing in possessive love. Scarred Souls is a series that must be read in order from beginning to end; each book contains a story of a couple, but the characters from previous books are still included within each novel. Ravage was no less addictive than Raze or Reap and only adds to the intrigue surrounding the war between the Volkov Bratva and the Georgians.

The story begins in an orphanage, a brother trying to protect his baby sister, but that night ends in horror and begins the unspeakable life of the two children. The Night Wraiths had come!

It is now fifteen years later and Zoya Kostava has learned of new information that will change her life forever. She’s free! Her clan is free to come out of hiding and her lost brother has been found. She’s desperate to see her brother and cannot wait another minute. Sneaking out, Zoya uses her training to hide in the shadows and see for herself if Zaal is in fact alive. But what she didn’t factor into the equation was that others were also watching Zaal and Zoya is taken before she even gets to meet her brother.

194 wears a collar that injects a serum into his veins. This serum turns him into an unfeeling beast with only one thing on his mind, KILL. Mistress is 194s owner, she is the only one he is to obey, but he has no choice when they hold his sister, 152, captive to motivate him.

194 sees images of his sister and is promised to be reunited after a mission, but every time a mission is completed, he still only sees an image. Will this time be any different? 194 has no choice but to follow orders. He has a new target now and is told to take his time, use anybody necessary to get close and destroy.

Zoya discovers she’s been kidnapped by a beast, but the more time she’s in his presence, the more she realises just how similar they are and that under the horrifying exterior, there is a soft hearted, beautiful and possessive man.

Will 194 reclaim himself? Will Zoya be able to convince her kidnapper that he isn’t a complete monster? Will 194 be able to break free of Mistress and free his sister? Will Zoya get to reunite with her brother?

Follow the intense forbidden love of Zoya and 194, how they can find love in the most horrific of circumstances and convince everyone that their love is real and forever. This action packed, dark, sizzling hot intriguing romance is a must read. Ms Cole is a fabulous writer and I cannot wait to read number four, Riot, due out in 2017.

5 PAPER HEARTS
goodreads

hearts

THE SERIES:

12f31-hearts

About the Author

tillie coleTillie Cole hails from a small town in the North-East of England. She grew up on a farm with her English mother, Scottish father and older sister and a multitude of rescue animals. As soon as she could, Tillie left her rural roots for the bright lights of the big city. After graduating from Newcastle University, Tillie followed her Professional Rugby player husband around the world for a decade, becoming a teacher in between and thoroughly enjoyed teaching High School students Social Studies for seven years. Tillie has now settled in Calgary, Canada, where she is finally able to sit down and write, throwing herself into fantasy worlds and the fabulous minds of her characters. Tillie writes Contemporary Romance, Dark Romance, Young Adult and New Adult novels and happily shares her love of alpha-male leading men and strong female characters with her readers. When she is not writing, Tillie enjoys dancing, singing, reading, horse riding, listening to music or spending time with friends and family. Her books include Raze, Reap, and Ravage

WebsiteGoodreadsFacebookTwitterPinterestInstagramGoogle+

StMartinsPress

review 2016-08-11 23:59
Ravage (Scarred Souls #3) by Tillie Cole
Ravage: A Scarred Souls Novel - Tillie Cole

Taken by the Jakhua Clan as a teen, 194 was stripped of his name, his identity, and his freewill, meticulously honed to be a ruthless, soulless killing machine, trained solely to spill blood and stop hearts. This is a role he resents with every fiber of his being, but one he embraces to gain back the precious leverage the Georgians wield as their weapon of control: his younger sister, 152.

Mzia Kostava is in shock. After fleeing her mafia family's massacre in Georgia as a child, Mzia lives in secret, hiding from her enemies in the dark shadows of Manhattan. At age twenty-five, believing all her family is dead, word reaches Mzia that her brother Zaal is very much alive... and living with their family's greatest enemy: the Volkov Bratva in Brooklyn.

Yearning to be reunited with her beloved Zaal, Mzia risks her safety and anonymity for the brother she had mourned since childhood. But just as she reaches Zaal's apartment, Mzia is seized and taken captive by a strange man, who is strong, dark, and brutal... Unyielding, he demands her utter obedience as he locks her away in darkness. He is highly skilled in torture and inflicting pain, and demands to know everything about her brother Zaal and everything about her. He is a man that'll do anything to get what he wants.

Sometimes love requires the sacrifice and betrayal of those held most dear. But is finding one's true love worth committing the greatest sacrifice of all?

This is not a book to start half way into the series I've learned a quarter of the way into this book. There is a lot of history that is related to all the cast and everything that's happening in Ravage and the reasons behind why everyone does what they're doing that appear to relate to previous books.

That makes all the extreme content a little bit daunting to take in considering how intense a lot of it is. Between the emotions and the sex and the suspense its difficult to process.

However its written really well and I'm curious what put us where we are now, what got us and the cast here where they are in Ravage even though Readers get a little bit of background explanation.

I really want to go back and discover the first two books of this series so I have a fuller more developed understanding of this series before I judge it more seriously because I can tell there is a lot more to it than what I got out of reading the third book first instead of the first book.

I would like to say that Ravage is a great read, its interesting, its extreme and its violent but there's an under current of something really special here and I want to read the Scarred Souls series from its origins. I'm excited.

Krissy's Bookshelf Reviews received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Krissy's Bookshelf Reviews received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review from St. Martin's Press via Netgalley.

If any of Krissy's Bookshelf Reviews has been helpful please stop by to like or let me know what you think! I love hearing from followers! Thank you!

review 2016-08-01 04:03
5* Book Review of Hard Rules by Lisa Renee Jones
Summary: Wall Street meets the Sons of Anarchy in Hard Rules, the smouldering, scorching first novel in the explosively sexy new Dirty Money series from New York Times bestselling author Lisa Renee Jones.

How bad do you want it?

The only man within the Brandon empire with a moral compass, Shane Brandon is ready to take his family’s business dealings legitimate. His reckless and ruthless brother, Derek wants to keep Brandon Enterprises cemented in lies, deceit, and corruption. But the harder Shane fights to pull the company back into the light, the darker he has to become. Then he meets Emily Stevens, a woman who not only stirs a voracious sexual need in him, but becomes the only thing anchoring him between good and evil.

Emily is consumed by Shane, pushed sexually in ways she never dreamed of, falling deeper into the all-encompassing passion that is this man. She trusts him. He trusts her, but therein lies the danger. Emily has a secret, the very thing that brought her to him in the first place, and that secret that could that destroy them both.

hard rules
Released: 9th August 2016
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Format: eGalley
Source: via Publisher on NetGalley

This is my first experience reading a book by Lisa Renee Jones and it definitely won’t be the last. I am hooked and cannot wait to read book two in this series, Damage Control, which is due out in February 2017. Ms Jones writing style was just awesome and the non-stop action-packed read kept me on edge until the very end. Emily and Shane are complicated characters that drew me into their lives and with all the drama going on, I was completely addicted.

Emily Stevens is twenty-seven and running from a big secret. But with a chance meeting in a coffee shop, Emily crosses paths with Shane Brandon and cannot deny their electrical connection.

Shane Brandon is determined to get his family’s empire out of the dirty circle they’ve gotten themselves into. But the problem is, his brother doesn’t really like that idea and is determined to win the votes and gain control of the empire before Shane. Their father isn’t very helpful and seems to enjoy the competitive streak his sons have, will Brandon Snr live long enough to see who the victor will be?

Shane’s coffee order is commandeered by a beautiful woman and he’s just mesmerised by her. When his phone rings though, Emily makes her escape, leaving her coffee behind. Shane takes it hostage in the hope she will return.

Seth Cage is Shane’s right-hand man and together they are making a plan to turn Brandon Enterprises legit, but Seth keeps finding evidence of dirty deals and money being hidden. Will Shane really be able to win the war that has begun between the siblings?

It seems fate has brought Shane and Emily together again. This time Shane won’t let you get away and talks her into having dinner with him. He’s desperate to spend more time with her; there’s something about her that he just can’t deny. And Emily seems to feel their connection as well. Just for one night?

"This is about tonight. Just tonight. He won't want to know my past or my future. He's looking for a diversion, and the truth is, if I spend one more night alone, trapped in guilt, worry, and my fast-looping replay of how I got to this point, I might go insane."

location: 443

Will Shane and Emily share their past, their secrets? Who is Emily Stevens and what is she running from? Who can Shane truly trust? Which side is his mother and father really on? Who will win the war to control the Brandon empire? Will Emily ever be free from guilt or ever feel safe?

Hard Rules is a fabulous sizzling hot read full of intrigue and a complicated world surrounding the Brandon family. There are a lot of questions left unanswered and I definitely want the next book now to see who, what and how Shane will proceed. I love Emily and her quiet innocence, but is she truly innocent? This was a fantastic introduction into the world and I’ve added another favourite author to my list.
5 PAPER HEARTS
goodreads

hearts

About the Author

lisa renee jonesNew York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Lisa Renee Jones is the author of the highly acclaimed INSIDE OUT SERIES, and has now in development for a cable television show, to be produced by Suzanne Todd (Alice in Wonderland). In addition, her Tall, Dark and Deadly series and The Secret Life of Amy Bensen series, both spent several months on a combination of the NY Times and USA Today lists.

Since beginning her publishing career in 2007, Lisa has published more than 40 books translated around the world. Booklist says that Jones suspense truly sizzles with an energy similar to FBI tales with a paranormal twist by Julie Garwood or Suzanne Brockmann.

Prior to publishing, Lisa owned multi-state staffing agency that was recognized many times by The Austin Business Journal and also praised by Dallas Women Magazine. In 1998 LRJ was listed as the #7 growing women owned business in Entrepreneur Magazine.

Picture and bio from St Martin's Griffin website

WebsiteGoodreadsFacebookTwitterPinterestInstagramTumblrGoogle+YouTube

StMartinsPress

review 2016-07-28 07:00
Hot meat
Meat - Opal Carew

Rebecca meets Rex when she runs into him at the airport.  Things get hot very fast between them.  Then, the next time they see one another the sparks fly for multiple reasons.

Rex has secrets that he is hiding from everyone.  He has his reasons, but they make for lies and deception all the same.  Rebecca resents that he could not trust her.

Seriously HOT read!  Really sweet in many ways,  Totally unexpected but really liked it.  I give this book a 4/5 Kitty's Book Spot!

***This ARC copy was given by Netgalley and its publishers in exchange for an honest review only.

review 2016-07-15 01:45
Edge of Control (The Edge #3) by Megan Crane
Edge of Control: (Viking Dystopian Romance) - Megan Crane

Riordan is a ruthless warrior whose foes tremble before him in his drowned and ruined world. The last thing he wants to do is go undercover as a weakling to spy on his clan’s enemies. Much less with Eiryn - a fierce warrior in her own right and the only woman Riordan’s never been able to forget. He knows that a single touch will throw them straight back into that same old uncontrollable fire. But this time, he might just let them burn.

Eiryn has been betrayed too many times. An escape into a dangerous mission where she can pretend to be the soft, biddable female she’s not seems like the perfect solution. She’s sure she can control the fiery passion that simmers between her and Riordan, the man she’s spent years pretending to hate. After all, the unquenchable lust that flares between them now is all for show… isn’t it?

My Review:

Edge of Control was a very character driven story and I enjoyed our h/h's banter so much that I really didn't even care what the plot of the book was simply because I was so amused by the interaction between the two of them. Their relationship kept me entertained through almost the entire story from beginning to end.

Its an opposites attract when the two leading stars of this book are exactly the same and are clashing for the same exact reasons. I honestly didn't mind because as some of my followers know I'm a sucker for reunion stories. I love when history and current day issues reignite something that's been left simmering for awhile.

Considering this is the third book in the series and I haven't read the previous installments I was surprised by how easily I could follow along despite not having that prior information. I like that makes it easy to begin a new series without feeling too lost in the central zone of what's going on.

Thank you Megan Crane for a great read and a great cast. I look forward to reading the previous and following books in this series. I'm a new fan.

My Rating:

Blogger

Pinterest

Amazon

Disclaimer:
Krissys Bookshelf Reviews received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Source:
Received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley via St. Martin's Press

Note:
If any of Krissys Bookshelf Reviews has been helpful please stop by to like or let me know what you think! Thank you!