logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: steampunk
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-21 16:02
Book Review: The Perils of Prague
The Perils of Prague (The Adventures of ... The Perils of Prague (The Adventures of Crackle & Bang) (Volume 1) - Doc Coleman

*I read this book for my own enjoyment and in exchange for an honest review.

Our dashing lord is visiting with his uncle in Prague at his parents direction before traveling on to his next relative in another country now that he's graduated. However, things blow up. Well, the Opera House blows up after he meets a strange man and gorgeous woman in his Uncle's booth. And things get more complicated after that.

We have a few main characters. There is our main character and POV we live through, the Lord. See, I can't tell you his name as it's not one that people expect to hear. And... many are offended by it. It was a way for his great-great grandfather to shake up the social politeness of society and a string of profanity. Then we have Professor Crackle who seems a bit absentminded from time to time. However, there is something very special about him. We get hints and my curiosity is kept guessing about him. We do learn, in the end, what is so special about the professor. You'll like it. Lastly we have the lovely Miss Bang. She is a colleague of Professor Crackle's and handy in her own right and mind. This is a pair that are brilliant together and the Lord gets to see and participate with them in this adventure.

Can I tell you I love these names? I love that they are different and seem to fit the characters personalities. They roll off my tongue easily too.

Doc Coleman takes us on adventures on land, above land, and below ground. All cool in their own rights. I can't imagine where the characters could go in future books, in other cities, with all they lived through in this one! Wow, I didn't think we'd go through all that! lol.

There are many cool elements brought together here. I love when steampunk is used in the book and not just a surrounding in the setting. Steampunk is used here and something I enjoy. The adventures and actions that happen are well done in moments we need them, keeping the story higher paced. The moments where we learn details is done in a way that kept me interested as I didn't know what was going to be shared. It was all arranged to keep me interested and turning pages.

There are many additional attracting elements here as well. The crew of people we see, very neat! Another member of Crackle's crew, which we don't see as often here, is a very special woman. You have to meet her. The idea of immoral is very interesting. The Queen is the one and only. But is she really? This is interesting as it's explained and could become a bigger problem for others when you learn what you do.

Doc Coleman has set a high bar in this book and I look forward to seeing what he does in the next city as we carry on with Crackle and Bang.

review 2017-05-21 01:33
Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding - My Thoughts
Retribution Falls - Chris Wooding

Have you been missing Firefly and Captain Mal and his crew?  If so, give Retribution Falls a try!  Mind you, Captain Frey is somewhat grungier and somewhat less um... scrupulous and savoury.  :)

So we have pirates, we have air ships - rust buckets and sleek cruisers and huge frigates, we have pirate towns, we have manors, we have out of the way religious abbeys, we have cutlasses and guns and daemons and golems and so many diverse and wonderful things!

The crew of the Ketty Jay is the very definition of motley, down to Slag, the ship's feline.  All of them have something in their past that has made them outcasts of some sort or another and throughout the book, we get to learn their stories one by one.  In between the space battles, heists, and breakouts they all get fleshed out and we come to appreciate both the good things about them and the flaws.

Retribution Falls is a rollicking steampunky adventure peopled with cool and interesting characters, a social system in upheaval and enough magic to make it fun.  :)  It reads like watching a TV show - like Firefly! - and I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to reading the next of the Ketty Jay tales.

review 2017-05-20 19:59

Setting: Gochan Slaughterhouse

Source:  Audible Owned

Add to Goodreads

⇝Book Theme Song⇜

(link will take you to my tumblr post with video)

Ghost In The Machine by B.o.B  --This song is for Bo…I found him this lyric video…and that's my offering…maybe he'll grant my wish???

Tell me where am I supposed to go?

And who am I supposed to believe.

If only you knew what I knew.

Then you could see just what I see

⇝OVERALL RATING⇜

4/5 STARS

or B+

My Thoughts

It's difficult to pinpoint what this book is, genre wise…it's like this mash-up of alternative history/steampunk/historical.  It has an overall dark and somber feel to it, that left me sad…just sad for Wen, for Melik and especially for Bo.

It's said, by many, that this is a retelling of Phantom of the Opera. Unfortunately, I can't really say that it does that well, because I don't know that story.  It is very well written, and the narration on Audio is superbly done.  I think…that I want to keep on with the series despite the overwhelming sadness that I felt while listening to this, because I feel a need to know what happens to these characters.

Ratings Breakdown

Backdrop (World Building):  4.5/5

Originality:  5/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Narration:  5/5

Ending:  4/5 Cliffhanger:  "…to be Continued"

Will I continue this series?  I believe so.

review 2017-05-19 09:07
Prudence (Book One of The Custard Protocol)
Prudence - Gail Carriger

In that way that two strong, bold personalities often have children that have wispy, paler personalities than themselves, Prudence is a pale imitation of Connel and Alexia Maccon in Soulless.

It's not for lack of trying, but Carriger's attempts at giving Prudence (Rue) her own eccentric personality just falls flat for me.  What felt like effortless eccentricity and resulting hilarity in Alexis feels forced in Rue.  What felt natural in Soulless feels affected in Prudence.

Still, it wasn't a bad read; if I hadn't read The Parasol Protectorate and The Finishing School series first, I'd likely have enjoyed this a lot more.  But even though we get to see the beloved cast of characters from TPP return, it's sadly just not the same.  It just never really came together for me.  It was o.k., but it was never fun.

Total pages: 357

$$:  $3.00

review 2017-05-07 08:00
The Lost Boys Of West Abbey
Lady Mechanika TP Vol 03: The Lost Boys of West Abbey - Marcia Chen

It's a shame that this volume is only 60 pages where the others were more than twice as long. It is no miracle that the story can not be very complicated in such a short time span, so the case was resolved rather quickly.

I still really liked the art and the characters though, and I'm already looking forward for the next volume!

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!