logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: summer-fun
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-12-13 00:20
STOLEN SUMMER by Anne Mather
Stolen Summer (Harlequin Presents, No 843) - Anne Mather

Ben has been in love with Shelly since he was a teenager. Though she is older than him, his feelings have not changed when he meets her as a man. Shelly, not knowing who he is at first, is powerfully attracted to him. When she learns who he is, she feels their relationship is inappropriate and tries to drive a wedge between them. Will it work?

This is very dated. The age gap is only six years and her friendship with his mother has nothing to do with what is between them. His fiancée is a horror and I knew she would not last. Others try to do damage to Shelly but she manages to free herself from all of that. I liked the kindly listening ear of the village doctor who helps her straighten herself out. Ben is aggressive. When he doesn't get his way, look out.

While I have always liked Anne Mather's books, this is not a keeper.

review 2020-08-09 00:53
Complicated
The Summer Deal - Jill Shalvis

This is book #5 in the Wildstone series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader enjoyment, and to understand the series, I recommend reading this series in order.

Brynn comes home after another boyfriend makes her feel less than herself.  The bright spot in her life is her Mom's.  They may be in her business but they bring the fun.  Also being at home she runs in to Eli.  The very Eli with whom she made the summer deal.

Eli has his hands full with Kinsey and her health.  With a breath of fresh air, Brynn comes  back to town and its like he can breathe again.  With his protective attitude, he enjoys being in both women's lives.  Even though he is only best friends with Kinsey, her friendship is more like family.

This story just kind of pounded into my head.  I felt like each chapter was a sock to the stomach and was like watching a very loud play.  So much action, so much to it, I felt a little overwhelmed.  I do not normally say this about this author's books.  This was a hard one to finish.  Honestly if it was not an author I love well, I would not have bothered.  I give this a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This copy was given in exchange for an honest review by Edelweiss and its publishers.

review 2020-07-19 00:55
28 Summers by Elin Hilderbrand
My Rating: 5 Stars

This book starts with the reader already knowing the ending. Some reviews I've seen state that it would've been better to save what Mallory's fate is until the end of the book, but I feel that the reason Elin disclosed her illness was so you could appreciate what a full life she led, although bittersweet.

This book is based on the play and movie, Same Time Next Year. Mallory Blessing and Jake McCloud come into one another's life via her brother Cooper Blessing and connect romantically almost instantly in 1993.  Although they have chemistry from the beginning, Jake is in a relationship with his childhood sweetheart and Mallory is starting her life over on Nantucket. They agree to spend Labor Day weekend together every year, no matter what is happening in their lives.  are not to contact one another throughout the year unless there's a marriage, pregnancy or death, which they abide by.
I loved how each chapter began with real life highlights of events that were happening in the specific year.  Another highlight was the mouth-watering details in the meals they prepared and ate!!! I need some recipes for these dishes Elin!!!  She also peppers characters and businesses from her other books throughout the story, which is very comforting; makes you feel like you've been here before (and if you've read any of her books before, you kind of have been!)

Dislikes:
- I did not enjoy the politics within the book. (Beach Read...trying to escape reality here!!) - At times I felt sad for both Mallory and Jake because their situation could've been different if they were just honest with themselves and others in their lives.  They could've had more time together during their lifetime (life is short!)  - Infidelity. It is bothersome that both characters so easily could drift back to one another for one weekend a year and then just return to the rest of their lives for the remainder of the year.  ( they did find it difficult to separate and thought of one another when not together...torturing themselves.)
If this is your very first Elin Hilderbrand read, please don't totally judge her on this book alone.  It was a bit more 'serious' and depressing than some of her other books. Checkout 'The Blue Bistro' to experience just one of my favorites of hers!

Click here to purchase your copy!

Source: allaroundthecircle.blogspot.com/2020/07/book-review-28-summers.html
show activity (+)
review 2020-07-16 12:29
NIght Owls and Summer Skies
Night Owls and Summer Skies - Rebecca Sullivan

The summer before Emma Lane's eighteenth birthday is the last summer she will have to return to York Beach, Maine for the court ordered two months of visitation with her mother.  Since Emma came out as gay at the age of twelve, her mother has been unaccepting of her sexuality, distant and divorced her father.  Now, Emma returns to York Beach only to be dumped at Camp Maplewood where she suffered a traumatic episode several years before throwing Emma into a depression complete with PTSD while her mother jet sets around the world with her new husband.  Emma immediately sets out to get herself thrown out of camp by breaking into the shed holding the camper's phones only to be thwarted at every attempt by counselor Vivian Black. As Emma deals with her worst fears at camp, she makes a friend in chipper, outgoing Gwen Black and a passion for cooking with Julie Black, the camp cook. Each time Emma even thinks about doing something to get herself kicked out, Vivian seems to be a step ahead, helping Emma through her fears and getting to know her well, maybe even more.

Night Owls and Summer Skies is a perfect summer romance.  I loved that Emma's character was already secure in her sexuality and that finding her sexuality was not the main point of the book, this was simply a romance.  Emma's character also had deeper issues such as her depression and PTSD which still affect her, but don't define her.  The writing brought me into Emma's head and at times I felt like I was having a panic attack along with her.  Emma's growth at camp was amazing to read through.  From dealing with bullies, making friends, finding a hobby she enjoys and learning how to trust again along with slowly recovering from her trauma from years before.  Emma and Vivian's relationship felt natural and unhurried as they simply fell into one another.  I did find it a little weird that they were counselor and camper, although they were only one year apart in age.  I do wish there was some growth for Emma's mother along with some of the other campers; however, it is Emma's story.  Overall, a fun summer romance.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.

review 2020-06-30 20:58
Summer Knight by Jim Butcher
Summer Knight - Jim Butcher The first time I read this book I loved it but in my rush to devour the words I missed parts of the storyline and when all was read and done and my usual reflection was made I realised I hadn't quite got the why of it all. The thing is, so much happens in Summer Knight the multistories tying up all magically with Dresden typical style. So this time I took my time, and it was just as awesome and epic as the first time but with the added bonus of lightbulbs going off in my head. Dude can write!