logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: summer-fun
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-30 20:58
Summer Knight by Jim Butcher
Summer Knight - Jim Butcher The first time I read this book I loved it but in my rush to devour the words I missed parts of the storyline and when all was read and done and my usual reflection was made I realised I hadn't quite got the why of it all. The thing is, so much happens in Summer Knight the multistories tying up all magically with Dresden typical style. So this time I took my time, and it was just as awesome and epic as the first time but with the added bonus of lightbulbs going off in my head. Dude can write!
review 2020-06-30 17:07
Death of an Eye (Eye of Isis #1) - Dana Stabenow
Death of An Eye - Dana Stabenow

We're suppose to leave to go camping until Monday later this afternoon. My to-do list is a few miles long. I sent my husband off to swimming lessons with the girls intending to knock a few things off said list without interruptions. Instead, I finished a book without interruptions. I regret nothing.

This is one of the better introductory novels I've read in a long time. Normally first books in a series don't get anything better than three stars from me. I tend to take two or three books to decide if I think a series is going to be worth the time. This book seems to be a rare exception. I know after the first novel, I'm absolutely going to be continuing on with this series and these characters.

For starters there's Cleopatra. I'm developing a pretty huge girl crush on her lately. This Cleopatra is bold, cunning, and smarter than everyone in the room. She knows exactly what she has to do to get what she wants and she's not afraid to step on anyone to get it. I realize things don't really work out for her in the end. For the moment, I'm rolling with this Cleopatra. You'd be foolish not to.

Then there's this mystery surrounding stolen coin. Stolen coin doesn't seem like such a big deal on the surface. Once you get into all of the things this coin in particular means to the kingdom of Egypt, you understand why getting it back is such a big deal. Nothing is quite what it seems but everything is related. It's complicated without being confusing. Something I personally haven't seemed to master.

Finally there's Stabenow herself. I've only read one other Stabenow work about China and the Silk Road. At the end I found myself less than impressed. I've never read any of her popular Kate Shugak series. After this, I'm tempted to start tomorrow. Stabenow is quick and to the point. There's a mystery. There's danger. There's intrigue. The amazing part is she manages to handle everything in less than 300 pages. Stabenow seems to know just how much detail the reader needs and exactly when to cut it off. Nothing is drawn out. Not once was I left muttering "Did I really need to know that?" Short and to the point. Again, not something I've figured out how to accomplish on my own.

Personal kudos to me for knocking out a review in a record time. I suppose that means I can move on to my to-do list. Or I can map out my next BL-opoly roll. Or I can stand in front of my bookshelves and wonder which books are going to accompany me camping.

Dates read 6/25/2020 - 6/30/2020

Book 43/75

review 2020-06-27 16:00
2 Stories, 1 DNF, and DNS the Rest
Once Upon a Wedding: A Fiction From the Heart Second Chances Anthology - Priscilla Oliveras,Jamie Beck,Falguni Kothari,Sonali Dev,Sally Kilpatrick,Tracy Brogan,K.M. Jackson,Hope Ramsay,Barbara Samuel,Donna Kauffman

Story Title: The Runaway Bride

Book Title: Once Upon a Wedding: A Fiction From the Heart Second-Chances Anthology

Author: Sonali Dev

Publish Date: June 11, 2019

Publisher: Self-Published

Format: Kindle

Source: Own copy

Date Read: June 20, 2020

Review

A sweet story about a bride with concerns/cold feet the night and very early morning of her wedding to her childhood crush. Nisha Raje overhears that her fiancé's ex is back in town and there is talk the ex is invited to the wedding. Nisha is blindsided; she calls up Neel and asks "WTF? Did you know about this?" and Neel is tells her "Well we kinda met up." Nisha is livid, and rightfully so. Neel choose Barbara over Nisha in high school and then gave up his dream college to follow Barbara to her dream college and then on to Oxford. He was the one to break up with Barbara and return to California to seek out Nisha in the hopes of her still having feelings for him. Nisha decides to leave the mansion where the wedding is to take place and runs to the nearest contact; Neel follows her and they wind up at someone's house. After getting some advice by that guy, Neel and Nisha walk about San Francisco and lay it all out - fears, dreams, what they want from the other and what they feel for the other. Grown ups talking - it's a miracle! The wedding at the end sounded amazing (and hella expensive!). 3.5/5 stars.

This story is related to Dev's The Rajes series but can be read as a stand-alone.

****************************************************************************************************

Story: Always Yours

Author: Priscilla Oliveras

Publish Date: June 11, 2019

Publisher: Self-Published

Format: Kindle

Source: Own copy

Date Read: June 22-24, 2020

Review

A very summery feeling romance, complete with a softball game. Lourdes Reyes is the sister of the groom and a recovering drug addict. She really has her act together, being almost two years sober and holding a job with a future, enjoying a renewed relationship with her brother, and just working on herself. And then he shows up - Eduardo Santana, her first and only love. The guy that broke her heart and eventually that darkness led to her taking that first hit. He's back and hoping to make it up to her, even knowing her past. There was a little misunderstanding twist that was easily rectified, then more grown ups talking! This story was aided by the side characters Alex and Frankie; I could've done without younger brother Diego trying to do the protective brother act. I feel like I need an Alex and Frankie story now. 3.5/5 stars.

Overall: I tried to read the first book in this anthology and I had to DNF - less is more and an editor was sorely needed. The two stories I bought the anthology for definitely made the 99 cents I paid worth it. I hope that the authors release these stories as single stories in the future.

review 2020-06-25 02:58
The Paragon Hotel - Lyndsay Faye
The Paragon Hotel - Lyndsay Faye

Let's mourn only for our losses. And never for the things we haven't lost quite yet. We already have an entire language that would be dead if you were.

Let's make it last.

This just might be one of my favorite final lines (Fine. Technically two lines.) in any book every. So good. Ugh. Lyndsay Faye is rapidly climbing my list of must-read authors.

Everything about this book was just. so. good. The characters were brilliant, complicated, hot messes. The interwoven story lines about the struggles of the Paragon Hotel residents and Nobody's time with the Mafia kept me on my toes. More than once I had to force myself to only read two chapters so I wouldn't get lost in this book. I actually had places to be this week.

And then there was that end. I've gotten pretty good at predicting how things are going to end. Wow was I wrong. I did not see that end coming.

Read 6/14/2020-6/24-2020

Book 41/75

review 2020-06-14 15:43
Weighed in the Balance (William Monk #7) - Anne Perry
Weighed in the Balance - Anne Perry

I like the Monk series more than the Pitt series. However, Perry's constantly coincidences are starting to get a little obnoxious. In the Pitt series it's how Emily and Charlotte always seem to find themselves at the party of a suspect before they even know Thomas is investigated said suspect. In the Monk novels, it's how Hester always finds that final piece of the puzzle because of one of her clients. Even over 100 years ago, you can't convince me London was that small. I would believe you if you tried to argue that Perry is the ultimate believer in the Kevin Bacon theory.

Once again, I find myself completely immersed in the courtroom drama. Rathborne is really the star of these books.

Dates read 6/13/2020-6/14/2020