logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: suspense-and-thriller
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-20 16:51
An Exotic Island Filled With Horror – Child of Lies by Eric Kent Edstrom @ekedstrom
Child of Lies - Eric Kent Edstrom

The Scion Chronicles by Eric Kent Edstrom has been a wild ride so far and I am ready to dive into Child of Lies and travel to an exotic island that is filled with a horror you can’t imagine.

His books have blown my mind, so have a look and tell me what you think.

Child of Lies (The Scion Chronicles #2)

Amazon  /  Audiobook  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Jacey awoke…and remembered.

How would you feel if you were bred, raised, educated and trained only to have someone else’s mind taking over your body? They are clones. Sounds pretty freakin’ creepy to me! Unless you’re the other person. Old, decrepit, on your last leg, and death around the corner. A second chance at life.

Child of Lies raises many ethical and moral questions, not overlooking the legality of it all. Of course, it’s only for the rich, so you blue collar workers may as well forgeddaboutit.

Jacey was not going to let that happen. She felt responsible for everyone.

I loved how all the characters learned to overcome their differences and function as a team. Their knowledge grew, as did their personalities.

This ”what if’ story could very well give you nightmares. The tension and suspense made me want to look ahead, but I contained myself. No peeking.

I am so worried. More than once, Eric Kent Edstrom had me saying, “Oh no, no, no.” Leading me on , making me fear for them all, even the not very nice Belle. Maybe she will learn something and be the better for it.

Nature or nurture? Can your environment form who you are? Would a clone have a mind of its own? A personality of its own?

About two thirds of the way through Child of Lies I ran across a wonderful surprise and a ray of hope put a smile on my face.

Child of Lies by Eric Kent Edstrom picks up where Daughter of Nothing left off, so the series does not stand alone and each book should be read in order. It gripped me from beginning to end. I couldn’t put it down. Human nature and the worst circumstances show who we are and bring out the best or the worst in us.

To me this felt original, amazing and so creative and frightening that it stuck with me long after I finished reading. It runs the gamut that is good and bad about! humanity!

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of Child of Lies by Eric Kent Edstrom.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos   5 Stars

READ MORE HERE

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/an-exotic-island-filled-with-horror-child-of-lies-by-eric-kent-edstrom-ekedstrom
review 2018-11-23 12:07
The Villa by Nora Roberts
The Villa - Nora Roberts

The Giambelli family is all about tradition, passing the business of winemaking down through generations. Now, it's time for a little change. A merger long in the making, a final business merger augmenting a long personal one.

But someone has a grudge against the Giambellis, especially, or so it seems, Sophia, the PR whiz of the family. But she's not alone, fighting against an enemy, she cannot see yet. There's her grandmother, the matriarch, her soft, yet steady mother finding a new chance at happiness in her own life, and there's Tyler McMillan, someone she grew up with, but has no blood ties...And feels no sisterly feelings for.

Sophia and Tyler must work together, despite their possible misgivings, despite the explosive attraction, to bring about the merger of their two wineries, to bring about the start of a new century for the label and brand, and to discover who is the enemy in the shadows...

This was a usual Nora Roberts book. A well-researched topic with wonderfully evocative descriptions and narrative, a prickly (and a bit too bitchy in this case) heroine who, despite not wanting to be like her father, keeps making (almost) the same mistakes, a deceptively laid-back hero who has enough self-confidence and self-worth to be able to stand back and play Beta (because being Alpha all the time is exhausting), a wonderful secondary romance between two people who more than deserve a happy ending, a great supporting cast of family and friends, and a gripping suspense sub-plot.

I must confess to preferring the secondary romance between Sophia's mother, Pilar, and the new COO, David to the main one between Sophia and Tyler. There was something incredibly sweet and cute between these two people seemingly past their prime rediscovering romance, and I loved seeing how David slowly coaxed Pilar out of her protective, quiet shell.
The primary romance, in comparison, was rather harsh and jarring, mostly due to the heroine's dislikable character...In the end, I didn't really feel the love between the two.

The suspense was great with its many twists, turns and a red herring thrown into the mix for good measure, although the unraveling at the end left me a little perplexed, since it didn't really fit with everything that happened before. The methodical revenge plot simply disintegrated into the ravings of an offended lunatic. Maybe the unraveling of the calculating personality happened because of the financial and business loss, but I'm still quite perplexed.

And then there was the supporting cast. Each individual, from family to friends and enemies, each with their own character, personality and goals, and each bringing something special to the table, from comic relief to the key of the mystery.

An intriguing story of legacy and revenge in the winemaking industry.

review 2018-11-13 12:53
Crave the Heat by Marnee Blake
Crave the Heat - Marnee Blake

***ARC provided by publisher through NetGalley***

Dak Parrish has family issues. That's what he'd jumped at the opportunity to come back to Oregon to fight fires—his father, mother and little brother live on the reservation nearby. While his mother appears not to want to have anything to do with him, his father makes an impromptu visit, blackmailing Dak into helping an arsonist investigator look into suspicious fires...A prickly female investigator that quickly gets under Dak's skin...

Like its predecessor this story also didn't bring much to the table. The characters were bland (although the heroine was slightly too bitchy for my taste), the suspense had its moments, but the final reveal (without much motive behind it, or a worthy resolution) left everything to be desired, the pacing was plodding...

Another puffed-rice-cake equivalent.

review 2018-10-23 16:23
Vererada (Bloodline) by Felix Francis
Vererada - Felix Francis,Lauri Vahtre

Good story but one death too many.

review 2018-10-18 03:42
Review: Hounded
Hounded - Kevin Hearne

This was a fun read. I've read a few of the novellas that accompany the series and I knew I would be in for a treat.

Atticus is a 2100-year-old druid trying to live his best life as a bookstore owner in Arizona.  He lives with his Irish Wolfhound, Oberon, with whom is is bound.  He has taught Oberon human speech and given him the ability to communicate with him using his mind.  Oberon is a hoot; he's truly the star of the series.

Basically, Atticus has been hiding out in Tempe, Arizona, living a fairly quiet life until one of the old Irish gods decides he's pussyfooted around long enough and finally seeks revenge on Atticus for stealing a magical sword.  Aenghus Óg involves witches, demons, giants, other gods and even death himself to get the sword from Atticus.  But Atticus has his own back-up of vampires (who have ghouls on speed dial), an entire werewolf pack, a powerful sorceress, Irish gods, and of course the ever loyal Oberon.  There are many, many attempts on his life, some of which are seriously close calls.  There is a fighting, gore, sarcasm, and comedy.  It's everything I needed in a book.