logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: suspense
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-19 21:01
Review & Giveaway – No End Of Bad by Ginny Fite @unwrinkledbrain @iReadBookTours
No End Of Bad - Ginny Fite

Book Details:

Book Title: No End of Bad by Ginny Fite
Category: Adult Fiction; 280 pages
Genre: Thriller
Publisher: Black Opal Books
Release date: June 2018
Tour dates: Sept 3 to 21, 2018
Content Rating: PG-13 (Contains cursing, violence, non-explicit sex but NO adultery, abortion, etc.)

MY REVIEW

No End of Bad by Ginny Fite started out with me thinking this will just be so so. It didn’t take long for me to become involved and wondering what would I do if I were sitting in a park, minding my own business, nothing new, just the usual work day and I see some litter, so I pick it up. Before I can say, excuse me, I am jumped on, handcuffed and off to who knows where we go.

Innocent until proven guilty? Yeah, right.

Accused of being a spy Clayton Turnbull’s life is over as he knows it. But it gets oh so much worse.

There are so many awful characters, no morals or scruples, a what’s in it for me attitude, and corruption and greed run rampant. These characters don’t even deserve to be put in jail, they deserve to be buried under it. There is no level they will not go to keep what’s theirs and cover up the evidence before that pesky reporter, or someone else, exposes them.

As will Lenore Cavanaugh, the reporter that is like a pit full. She will not let anything go.

Margaret and Melissa Turnbull will rise above and beyond anything they could have dreamed about.

I love a good conspiracy mystery and this is one convoluted tale that goes around the world and back again. Politics and greed rear their ugly heads and run full bore after those who threaten to expose them.

I like a book that makes me question things in the real world. I do wonder what percentage of people in the world today believe everything they read in the papers, see on TV and on the internet. Do they get their news from Facebook?

Well…loaded with danger, corruption, government rogues running wild around the world, these amazing characters will rise to levels never anticipated to do the right thing, to protect their own and to take down the bad guys, no matter who they are or how high they rise. And it doesn’t stop until the last page is read. Warning: the ending may require tissues.

I love this quote from Henry Kissinger:

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean someone isn’t trying to kill you.

Here’s a quote from Melissa to her mother, Margaret:

“God Mom, there’s just No End of Bad.”

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of No End of Bad by Ginny Fite.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  4 Stars

ENTER THE GIVEAWAY HERE

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • .
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/ product images are linked.
  • Thanks for visiting!
review 2018-09-19 20:06
Glimpse
Glimpse - Jonathan Maberry

All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

- Edgar Allan Poe

Rain's life is spinning out of control. Yes, she's an addict and her past is filled with mistakes, but now it seems her nightmares are coming to life.

Dr. Nine is the evil force in this book and he is creepy as hell. Rain and her friends are wonderfully flawed characters. And Monk is an amazing character all on his own, a cross between a private detective and paranormal vigilante.

I enjoyed this one. It is a bit of a slow burn, but totally worth it. I was surprised by the twists and by the ending. I love Maberry's writing, the Rot & Ruin series, the Pine Deep series, and the Dead of Night series. This one is different but still scary and fun.

I read this book for the Suspense square:

review 2018-09-19 20:03
Nine Coaches Waiting
Nine Coaches Waiting - Mary Stewart

I can´t even bother to write a proper review for Nine Coaches Waiting.

The mystery was lame and ridiculous, the romance was boring as well, the female main character was an idiot, her love interest was a douche and all the French people were depicted as mean spirited and/or dimwitted and/or downright evil. And this book jumped the shark several times. A thing which shouldn´t even be possible.

My final verdict: Bah .... NEXT!

review 2018-09-19 14:43
Safe From Harm by Kate SeRine
Safe from Harm - Kate SeRine

One year after the murder of his best friend, yet another person Gabe Dawson loves is in danger. He barely manages to save Elle McCoy's life and almost dies himself. It looks like the father of his friend's murderer, an anti-government fanatic, is behind the attempted assassination and Gabe knows this is just the beginning...

Another great read in this series.

The cast of characters was once again wonderfully portrayed, especially the Dawson family dynamics and the tight bonds that bind the five men together.

And the romance worked much better in this one as well (no formulaic, pace-stalling sex scenes for Gabe and Elle). I loved the UST-filled bickering at the beginning and though, IMHO, the "conflict" went on a page or two too long, the two resolved their mutual issues rather quickly and satisfyingly.
Gabe and Elle worked very well together in my view. They were strong-willed individuals and they brought that grit into their relationship as well. And I was very happy that Elle was the one who truly brought the real Gabe out in the open. Theirs was a very cute and hot romance.

The suspense angle was different from the one in the previous book. First, there was the major difference in the topic (religious anti-government fanatics instead of human traffickers) and the identity of the villain(s) was known from the start, leaving the characters to grapple with just how to make something stick.
I'm rather miffed the final showdown seemed very déjà-vu-ish. I felt like I read those particular scenes with those particular characters (maybe even with rather similar names) somewhere else.

Still, overall it worked and now I really hope to be able to read the eldest Dawson brother, Tom's story someday (the quirky doctor sounds rather good as a heroine, especially after learning just what was going on in the final days of Tom's marriage). And let's not forget Mac, the patriarch, deserves a second chance at a happy ending as well.

review 2018-09-19 11:46
Woman Without a Past
Woman Without a Past - Phyllis A. Whitney

Even though I find Phyllis A. Whitney's books to be a little bit hit and miss, she's still my favorite author of old-school romantic suspense.  Where Victoria Holt's romances feel instantaneous and contrived, and Mary Stewart's plotting is often (sorry mom) ludicrous, Whitney's stories have so far offered much more consistently crafted plots, vivid settings, and haunting atmosphere.  Her romances don't always work for me (romances seldom do), but the characters do, at least, work up to HEA at a slower, sometimes more smouldering, pace.

Woman Without a Past almost got a pass from me at the bookstore because, geez, the title.  And then there's the cover.  Actually, it was mostly the cover, but the title screamed Amnesia story! and that's just a no from me on principle.  But the back cover rescued the book; a woman is recognised at her editor's office as being the long lost identical twin, kidnapped as a baby, from an old and prominent Charleston (South Carolina) family.  Strictly speaking, the title is not at all accurate.

This book drips Southern Gothic.  From the prescient cat, to the rocking horse that rocks itself; from the old plantation house, to the slightly mad mother the family tries to keep locked away as much as possible and the cousin that believes she communes with the dead, this book honestly has it all.  Except romance; there's a hint of it here and there and there's certainly talk of it, but no actual romance until the very, very end.

In general, the story is well-written, and it's a good story.  But a couple of things worked against it; one is probably just a twist of timing, as I started it on the plane, and then struggled to finish it while jet-lag kicked my butt, leaving me with the feeling that it took forever to finish it; the second was my exasperation with the main character.  Everyone thinks she's strong and independent, yet at no point in the book did she actually act strong or independent.  She mostly just allowed everyone to roll over her.  It wasn't enough to make me actively dislike her, but it was enough that I was often impatient with her.

As I said, not her best, but certainly not her worst.  Fans of true gothic romance will recognise shades of certain classics in this book; definitely worth a look if you see it in your library or on the bargain rack.

I read this for the Southern Gothic square of Halloween Bingo 2018.