logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: suspense
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-25 20:24
Arc Review: The Marriage Pact by Michelle Richmond
The Marriage Pact: A Novel - Michelle Richmond

I found this story frightfully intriguing with a fascinating concept at its core.
Jake the therapist and Alice the lawyer, both successful in their own careers, receive a gift on their wedding day that will change their lives forever.

The concept of the story and “The Pact” itself is jarring at times, intriguing at others. It draws the question does the perfect model of marriage exist? Once the couple joins the Pact, it becomes the overseer that makes sure each couple succeeds at being perfect. If they “choose” not to follow its rules then they will face the consequences.

As newly weds, Jake and Alice weren’t sure what to expect of marriage but had a fairly good idea due to their own past history with their parents. The way I see it, one of the two became more content with the idea of the Pact because it became a sort of guide to accomplish what was wanted out of the marriage. The other partner was more reluctant to accept it because of fear that anything could change what they had already built together.

Alice appeared as a cold and distant person yet content with the role of a wife and I found that contradicting. As the story progressed and she got herself in deep waters with The Pact, Alice herself makes a confession that puts her in a better light and her role starts making more sense. Perhaps it’s the fact that the story is told from Jake’s perspective but I found him more likable and more relatable. There was a time in the story that I actually wondered if they were meant for each other or if the marriage was just an illusion they created for themselves because they didn’t seem to be in love.

To be honest, the book started a bit slow for my taste, so much so that I had to put it down several times and then come back to it. By almost 45% of the book, it was just ok but nothing out of the ordinary. And then it started to pick up and that was when I was unable to put it down and everything started to click and fall into place.

The book is full of quotes and facts that albeit provided an insight into Jake’s mind I thought at the time were somewhat random. It was later that I realized they were there to help me understand the underlying idea and helped tied up all events together. It took me a while to understand the full notion of the plot and tie up the knots once I finished reading the book (blame it on my slow-working brain) but all in all it was an enjoyable read.

I received this book from Netgalley at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.

review 2017-07-25 09:22
A Short Time To Die
A Short Time to Die - Susan Alice Bickford,Rachel Dulude

Deep in Central New York in village ruled by a crime family, Marly escaped her stepfather and his father, but she is nowhere to escaping their grasp. When some bodies turn up almost fifteen years later, Marly's story will slowly start to unravel.

I found the story of Marly quite interesting, and also the murder mystery itself was quite nice. I thought I had figured it out quite early on, but some questions remained unanswered for some time. All female characters, both good and evil, were particularly strong characters. In the end, I thought the conclusion came a bit quick compared to the rest of the story, but all in all it was a very nice mystery book.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2017-07-25 03:58

Rating: 5

Review:

"Through Her Eyes" by Deborah Camp

My Thoughts......

As always this author brings it all up front and center for the readers..."Through Her Eyes" featuring Levi Wolfe and Trudy Tucker.  Hold on because there will be much going on in this romance and mystery read that will definitely keep your attention. I liked the story that surrounded both of the characters in that they both had some personal demons that they were battling through.  How will they make it though all of it and now looking for a serial killer?  Well,  this is where I say you will have to pick up  this good read to see how these two will catch this serial killer who seem to have 'been murdering for more than a decade' on the streets of New Orleans and now it looks like there maybe someone else who is also involved.

Be ready for a read that will have you holding your breath as you are reading through some horrible details as this author gives to the reader in this well written story.  In the end will  these two find the HEA medium? Will their personal problems be worked out? Will Levi ever pop the question to Trudy that she longs to hear?   Well, again you will have to pick up 'Through Her Eyes' to see how this story comes out in the end that will definitely leave you wanting more from these two psychics.

Thank you to the author for the early read of "Through Her Eyes" where I gave my honest opinion of the read.

review 2017-07-24 19:58
Michael Robotham - The Secrets She Keeps
The Secrets She Keeps - Michael Robotham

Robotham delivers a very intense psychological thriller. Halfway through the book I was still wondering how the story will develop. For quite a while I had no clue what was going to happen. So I was very curious and that kept me reading.

For my taste it was a little bit too slow. A lot of other readers say it was fast paced. I did not feel that way. For me it was a bit of a slow burner.  But it kept me curious and I want to know where the story was heading to.

At first I disliked Agatha very much. But the more I got to know her the more I felt for her. This book is very much character driven.  It was also interesting to look deeper intor the oh-so-perfect family of Meg. There are no dead bodies in the cellar but some unpleasant and realistic problems.

I am not sure if I ever read a book from Michael Robotham, although I was familiar with his name. But I enjoyed this suspense thriller very much. At first I was a bit irritated because it was so slow and I had no idea what was going on. But the further I read the more I got engaged. This is a unique and high quality thriller I can recommend strongly to everybody.

review 2017-07-24 16:29

March 31st 2015
Paperback
352
Library

The only thing more powerful than fear is desire...

A seasoned K-9 officer with the police in Maryland, Cole Jamison has left her old life behind her. With a new home and a new partner-a protective canine named Hugo-Cole is ready for fresh challenges. A crucial position on an important drug task force is exactly what she wants...until she discovers her gorgeous, infuriating ex-husband will be the DEA agent in charge.

FORCE OF ATTRACTION

Agent Scott Lucca may be a pro when it comes to undercover assignments, but this job is daunting even for him. Posing as a happy couple on the dog competition circuit means he and Cole need to get a lot closer than they've been in years. Playing a live-in couple should seem like a walk in the park compared to tracking a brutal criminal, but suddenly nothing could be more dangerous than the passionate fire they've rekindled...

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Book Depository

This novel can be read as a stand-a-lone.

I have come to really love the K-9’s in this series. You can tell that the author knows her dog breeds and has done her research on training, showing, and all things related to K-9’s. This in-depth and accurate portray just adds to my enjoyment.

Force of Attraction is book two in the K-9 Rescue series by D.D. Ayres.

Cole and Scott have a serious past. They walked away from each other instead of working things out. Now they are partnered up together to work an undercover assignment, but Scott’s past and undercover work is coming back. The past is far from buried; between these two.

A second chance romance with a little mystery and intrigue throughout the story. We are whisking into a world of drug trafficking, the dog agility circuit, bikers, and undercover police work. Add in our 4 main characters, Hugo and Izzy, Cole and Scott’s police dogs and you have a delightful read.

I will say Hugo stole the show for me. I just love Hugo and Izzy, the K-9’s.

I did had some issues with a few things in Force of Attraction,but I still ended up enjoying the novel. For one I didn’t care for the first sex scene. She was getting into character and being the character when she had sex with Scott and he went along with it. These two needed to get everything out in the open, before they got intimate with each other. I felt they didn’t need to have that much intimacies to pull things off and they weren’t ready to go their, at least in my eyes. They had to much to discuss and resolve from the past first. I also wasn’t fully on board with the undercover angel in this novel. They can be a couple, but not have to get as intimate as they did. It all comes down to them not getting it all out there; before they stared their undercover work.

Force of Attraction was entertaining and enjoyable. All in all, I enjoyed this book. This series is engaging and fascinating. I recommend picking up the K-9 Rescue series.

Rated: 3 Stars

Challenge(s): Pick Your Genre (Con) | Library LoveBacklist Reader (2017)

I’m a 35 outdoor sun loving reader living near San Fransisco. I’m a mother, wife, dog owner, animal, and book lover. I’m the owner, reviewer, and mind behind Angel’s Guilty Pleasures. My favorite animals are horses & dogs. As for reading I love all things paranormal & urban fantasy. My favorite shifters are dragons!

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/07/review-force-of-attraction-k-9-rescue-2-by-d-d-ayres