logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: the-universe-versus-alex-woods
Load new posts () and activity
review 2014-05-15 16:34
The universe versus Alex Woods (das unerhörte Leben des Alex Woods)
[(The Universe Versus Alex Woods)] [Author: Gavin Extence] published on (May, 2013) - Gavin Extence

Unterhaltsam, doch ein paar dutzend Seiten weniger hätten durchaus gereicht um die Geschichte zu erzählen

review 2014-03-12 04:05
The Universe Versus Alex Woods
The Universe Versus Alex Woods - Gavin Extence Alex Woods is a remarkable boy who not only overcomes his obstacles but sticks to his beliefs. Certain things in Alex’s life set in motion, all starting with a fallen meteor knocking him unconscious . Whether it is the meteor or the way he was brought up Alex sometimes looks at things too logically. Especially when he later becomes friends with a man, Mr. Peterson, in the neighborhood. There friendship and the future decisions they make will surprise the world. I absolutely love books that have book lovers in the story. Especially one as knowledgeable as Alex Woods who goes from reading about the universe and the mind to Kurt Vonnegut. Now that I have finished reading the book I look back and think “Wow, a lot happened to Alex”. Alex is not afraid to speak his mind and sometimes comes off naive. The fact that he is a teenager the naive part of Alex felt real not to say the outspoken Alex did not feel real, it just seems unique to me. I had a hard time getting to the end of the book because I did not want to leaves Alex’s world which in truth is not different than ours. So I guess I really wanted to stay with Alex some more. Excellent writing and description. I fell deeply into the story. The Universe Versus Alex Woods is a heartfelt exploration that will make you think about what your beliefs are and whether the are right or wrong.
review 2013-12-21 02:28
The Universe Versus Alex Woods - Gavin Extence

I am not sure what compelled me to pick up this title when it was offered as a Kindle Daily Deal. I didn't know much about it, I had only a vague memory of possibly putting it in my endless TBR list on Goodreads. But as I did have a vague memory of placing this book in that list...I figured I'd snatch it up while it was a decent price.

As I began reading, I immediately started to question my choice in purchasing this novel. It was an odd book. Quirky maybe? Whatever or however you want to describe it as, I wasn't sure if it was a book that I could get behind. But it was one of those books that start out at the end and I just had to see what led Alex to get stopped at the English boarder with a dead man and a car full of pot. I mean, how can you not get intrigued by something like that.

By the end of The Universe Vs. Alex Woods, I was a wreck. The end wasn't a surprise. I mean, the beginning is the end. But despite knowing, it was a huge punch in the gut. It was a beautiful punch, but still a punch. I think I cried for 15 minutes after finishing and I am not someone who cries at the end of books.

review 2013-12-02 15:22
Surprisingly boring
The Universe Versus Alex Woods - Gavin Extence

You know it’s bad when you can use a book as a sleeping pill and it only takes one page to work the magic. At this rate I might have finished The Universe Versus Alex Woods in a couple of years, but why waste my time on boring book (or sleeping) when there are many more interesting books to read?

I guess it all comes down to expectations and how The Universe Versus Alex Woods didn’t have nothing of what I hoped for: humor and paranormal elements or at least magical realism. This is plain-old contemporary coming-of-age fiction written from a male perspective. I already decided when I read The Tragedy Paper that these kind of books are not my thing and if I knew there was nothing more to it, I would not have requested a review copy.

The Universe Versus Alex Woods started from the end and what an ending it was: intriguing, quirky or simply in one word WTF. But when plot rolled back to the beginning, everything got boring.

The only extraordinary thing about Alex Woods is that he was hit by a meteor and after hundredth repetition that fact is no longer interesting. I read until almost 50% of the book (that’s 200 pages) and it all came down to his tedious retelling of problems in high school. For me this was real snooze-fest. Even Gavin Extence nice and fluid writing style or references to Kurt Vonnegut’s novels could not pierce my bubble of boredom.

In The End…

Fans of contemporary fiction with literary flair writing about teenage boys coming of age problems in high school will probably enjoy The Universe Versus Alex Woods. For me it missed that mystical ingredient that sparks my interest to keep on reading…

Disclaimer: I was given a free eBook by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a honest review.

Source: www.bookwormdreams.com/book-review-the-universe-versus-alex-woods-by-gavin-extence
review 2013-10-24 06:31