logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: thoughts
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-09-15 00:00
Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith
Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith - Anne Lamott Probably this is more like a 3.5 or 4 star read but I am deducting a star because I feel strongly that white people shouldn't have dreadlocks.

There are many asides in this book that equate thinness with goodness, or naturally thin women with bitchiness, that make sense when you hear about her own eating disorder - but I wish they weren't there.

However, I love listening to her talk about sobriety, faith, community, love, and writing. All my perpetual faves.
review 2019-05-22 18:45
A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS by Robert Ford and Matt Hayward
A Penny For Your Thoughts - Matt Hayward,Robert Ford

Who knew how powerful a jar of pennies could be?

Fresh out of prison, Joe enjoys walking in the woods of his hometown, (who wouldn't when they had been confined for so long?) A glint of glass beneath the leaves catches his eye, and he doesn't know it yet, but it will change his life forever. How could a jar do such a thing? You'll have to read this to find out!

Even though Joe is an ex-con, he's a good guy. He's trying to do the right thing. He's off the drugs, he's off the lousy wench of a girlfriend, and he's trying to make things right with his dad. It's not long after he gets home that his friend Kenny is trying to talk him into returning to a life of crime and it's hard for Joe to resist. I think this is part of the reason that I liked Joe so much, he was realistic. It's easy to say you're going to go straight when you get out, but nothing is easy about reestablishing your life, and his character reflects that reality.

I'm not going to delve further into the plot, because it should unfold as the authors intended. However, I will say that there were portions of this book that were LAUGH OUT LOUD FUNNY. Not just for people like me, (I've been told I have a juvenile sense of humor at times), but for anyone. I DARE people to read about what happened to Kenny without laughing. (I read that part on my lunch hour and couldn't tell my co-workers what made me laugh so hard I cried.)

Joe was my favorite among the main characters, but I did like the others as well-they were well drawn and felt real to me. There were a few people and items mentioned that I would have liked to learn more about-namely the Crimson Sisters. And what was up in that room full of statues and goat guts? This inquiring mind wants to know!

Be prepared to read this rather quickly, as I posted an update last night at 80% and about 2 minutes after that, I knew I was staying up to finish this book. It was exciting, it was hilarious at times, it was scary, it felt realistic and the ending was only slightly predictable.

I don't know if these authors are planning to collaborate again in the future, but let this serve as my plea...I need more! Preferably, as soon as possible!

Highly recommended!

Available June 1st, but you can preorder here: A PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS

*Thanks to Mr. Ford for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my review consideration. I considered it, said HELL YEAH! and here we are.*

review 2018-12-13 22:24
Give Your Bathroom the Finishing Touch by Choosing the Right Shower Enclosure

Shower Enclosures are 21st centuries most modern yet practical approach for shower lovers. You can take your everyday bath routine to the next level with appropriate shower enclosure.

No matter what type of shower enclosure you choose, it will give that final touch to your bathroom that it desperately needs. The sleek, clean designs really stand out when you are trying to contemplate with layout in entire bathroom. You will find this part of the bathroom is evolving into many different shapes & designs that have made it an obvious choice for many home-owners.

Check out our suggestions for getting showered with these five ideas on how to transform your old bathroom into new one.

1- Quadrant Shower Enclosure Suitable for Most Bathroom Sizes

700mm Quadrant shower enclosure

When you are out, looking for a shower enclosure you might find them not be a one size that fits. 700mm Quadrant shower enclosure will always come out on top that will sit pleasantly in majority of bathrooms spaces. If you are short on space, quadrant bathroom shower is space friendly that radiates spacious look that will redefine your luxury bathroom outlook.

They will tuck nicely in corners without creating much floor trouble for other bathroom essentials. You will have plenty of space to go in and out easily after taking your early morning or late evening shower. Although, it has a compact look but adding sliding doors will create a bigger shower space for your relaxation.

2- Off-Set Shower Enclosure for Narrow & Small Bathrooms

Post Image

An offset shower enclosure is a perfect choice for those restrooms which are narrow or have small spaces. These bathroom enclosures can create a cool while fun feel to your room adding a touch of luxury opulence. You can calm your nerves to give yourself a pleasant feeling spacious outlook that contemplates with your bathroom.

No matter what size or shape you choose, this feature is sure to grow over your bathroom layout. While it will give you a pleasant happy ending at the end of your tired routine. You will not just like this stylish design but also love its unique functionality that comes with it.

3- Love your Bathroom Space with Rectangular Shower Enclosures

Rectangular shower enclosures are the new deal that provides a large space for washing & cleaning. This type of shower enclosure usually complements your bathroom while is better suited for bigger bathrooms. Do remember the rule bigger the better.

4- Square Shower Enclosures for Nice Bathroom Look

On the other hand, square shower enclosures are kind of similar to quadrant shower enclosures that fits nicely in corner. For a relaxing shower time, its cubicle allows more space while sits nicely without making you space conscious.

5- Walk in Shower Enclosures for Showering Your Tiredness Off

Post Image

Walk in shower designs usually have a partition for showering & drying. They don’t come with door. These are separated by the curved section that makes room for both areas. It doesn’t need for water proofing like usually bathrooms while the idea of water proofing has made it quite popular amongst its consumers.

You can transform your bathroom space into a little peace shower heaven with these five shower enclosures, where you can pleasantly enjoy your time.

Source: royalbathrooms.co.uk
review 2018-09-02 10:39
Positive Thoughts for a Positive Attitude by Lynn R. Davis
Positive Thoughts For A Positive Attitude: A Collection of Best Facebook quotes, Inspirational Words, Daily Declarations, Motivational Sayings, and Spiritual Devotions - Lynn R Davis

Positive Thoughts for a Positive Attitude by Lynn R. Davis is a collection of inspirational words, motivational sayings and spiritual devotions. I gave it three stars.

I received a complimentary Kindle copy in an Amazon promotion. That did not change my opinion for this review.

Chapter 1 has One Hundred Inspirational Quotes, Chapter 2 Thirty One Daily Positive Affirmations and Chapter 3 has Fourteen Bible Devotions.

"They are all in good taste; clean; and can be applied by any person who is seeking to live a more positive life." They are found from multiple public forum sources and some are given quote credit but it seems many are anonymous.

"You have to love yourself because no amount of love from others is sufficient to fill the yearning that your soul requires from you."-Dodinsky

"I choose to live by choice not by chance. To make changes not excuses. To be motivated not manipulated. To be useful, not used. To excel not compete. I choose self-esteem not self-pity. I choose to listen to my inner voice, not the random opinions of others."-Positiveoutlooks.com

Link to purchase: https://www.amazon.com/Positive-Thoughts-Attitude-Inspirational-Declarations-ebook/dp/B00IOXG3YM

review 2018-06-17 15:35
Duel of Eagles: The Mexican and U.S. Fight for the Alamo★★★★☆
Duel of Eagles: The Mexican and U.S. Fight for the Alamo - Jeff Long

I might have paid more attention if my Texas History lessons had been more like this book. But then, I suppose such a candid examination of the characters and motivations of the real people who created our history would not have been considered suitable subject matter for junior high school students.

Despite its subtitle (The Mexican and U.S. Fight for the Alamo), Duel of Eagles is really about the Texas revolution, covering a period of history from Andrew Jackson’s inauguration in 1829 to Santa Anna’s death in 1876. It could be considered a revisionist history, using original sources that proponents of a heroic Texas origin story may disregard or consider unreliable. Some critics of the book claim the author is pro-Mexican, but it seems to me that he is simply giving equal weight to Mexican sources and doesn’t hesitate to skewer the characters and actions of Mexicans and Tejanos as much as the Anglo-Americans. He notes where there are conflicting accounts of events and provides the reader with 71 pages of footnotes and bibliography to document his sources.

Altogether, it’s an entertaining and horrifying account of the Texas journey from Mexican province to independent republic to annexation into the United States, blowing up myths of heroic deeds and high-minded Texians seeking freedom from oppression along the way. At some point, it got a little wearisome, because, yes, we get it, this was really just a combination of speculative land-grabbing by non-residents and a push to preserve the slave state and part of the precursor to Manifest Destiny, but I started to feel as though we were beating a dead horse by the time Santa Anna surrendered at San Jacinto.

Hardcover, received as a gift from my father in 1994, who was an amateur Texas history buff. And a little surprising that he gifted it to me, as the views of the author don’t seem to fit his. How I wish I had actually read this when he was living, so I could have asked him about it. But history and the Wild West mythos didn’t interest me then, and I forgot I even had this until he passed away in January. Now it’s too late, and I can only read his books and remember him.

Previous Updates: