logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: three-little-pigs
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-26 20:50
The Three Ninja Pigs
The Three Ninja Pigs - Corey Rosen Schwartz,Dan Santat

This is an excellent variation of an original classic. This story incorporates different types of martial arts and teaches important lessons along the way. It teaches young readers that success does not come from being lazy and quitting. It also teaches young readers that it is never to late to perfect a craft. I love this version and I think that it will be easily enjoyable at even older age groups. I would use this story in my room to teach life lessons, timelines, and sequencing of events. Students could also compare this to other versions of The Three Little Pigs.

Lexile  Measure: AD630L

review 2018-02-24 21:31
We Are All Capable!
The Three Ninja Pigs - Corey Rosen Schwartz,Dan Santat

This book puts such a fun, and creative new spin on The Three Little Pigs. It introduces students to challenges and how to overcome those challenges. I love that one of the main characters, and heroine, is the female pig. It is action packed, and full of illustrations that support them. An activity for students would be to have them fill out a compare/contrast handout.

Grade level: K-2

Lexile measure: AD630L

review 2018-02-23 02:56
Piggie Pie
Piggie Pie! - Margie Palatini,Howard Fine

Are you smart enough to outsmart a witch? Thats what you should ask young readers when they finish this story! Piggie Pie is a precious book that details the story of a witch on the prowl for some piggies. This book is full of adjectives and alliterations! Students could go on an adjective search while reading this book. I would personally love to work with other teachers on my grade level to produce a live reading of this text using our students as actors!

Piggie Pie play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwZAbhgbtUc

Whose Side Are You On?
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs - Jon Scieszka,Lane Smith

AR: 3.0

Grade Level: 2nd-4th

Summary: We've all read some form of The Three Little Pigs, right? Well, THE TRUE STORY OF THE 3 LITTLE PIGS! is an excellent book to read to young readers. It's even an excellent book for them to read even to themselves! This particular book is all about perspective, from the text even to the illustrations! It's extremely hilarious, even with relatable moments.

Idea: I will use this book in my classroom for a unit about perspective. I may even have my students take the role of either a pig or the wolf, and act out how each character sees things from their pespective.

review 2018-02-04 19:42
Charlotte's Web
Charlotte's Web - E.B. White,Garth Williams,Rosemary Wells

I can not say enough good things about this story. I read this book as a child, and have re-read it as an adult. The message still holds true! The text is so rich and filled with sensory details. I would love to do an entire novel study on this book. I would start by reading the chapters aloud to students. This would be a wonderful time to reflect on the language and have them turn and talk to discuss specific phrases. I would use this book in science lessons and study spiders! I would ask students to draw and label the parts of a spider. I would also extend this theme into writing. I would give the students several prompts while covering this text, such as: Would you like to have a pet pig? How did Charlotte save Wilbur's life? Choose an adjective that describes you; draw it in a web and write a paragraph explaining why you chose it. A fun way to end this unit would be to act out the story, or to watch the movie!

Guided Reading - R