logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
back to top
Search tags: thriller
Load new posts () and activity
Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2017-09-20 16:22
Monster in the Closet Book Review
Monster in the Closet (The Baltimore Series) - Karen Rose

This is my first Karen Rose novel. I don't read a lot of adult thrillers so I thought I'd branch out. I live in Maryland and especially liked that I recognized a lot of the scenery in Hunt Valley and Baltimore. 

 

It took a while for me to really get into Monster in the Closet. The last 100 or so pages were pretty exciting and fast paced. I wish more of it was the same. There are several characters this follows from the bad guys, to the parents and the children so it almost took too long for me to get into. 

 

I enjoyed it enough to probably read more by this author in the future. The only problem is I don't think I'll remember this one a year from now or even in a few months. 

Like Reblog Comment
review 2017-09-20 14:52
Targa
Targa - Der Moment, bevor du stirbst: Th... Targa - Der Moment, bevor du stirbst: Thriller (Ein Fall für Targa Hendricks, Band 1) - B.C. Schiller

€ 10,00 [D] inkl. MwSt. 

 

€ 10,30 [A] |  CHF 13,90* 

(* empf. VK-Preis) 

 

Taschenbuch, BroschurISBN: 978-3-328-10151-2

 

NEU 

 

Erschienen: 10.07.2017 

 

 

 

Niemand kommt dem Bösen so nahe wie sie.

 

Targa Hendricks hat keine Freunde, keine Liebe, nichts zu verlieren. Doch vor allem hat sie keine Angst – und genau das macht sie so verdammt gut in ihrem Job. Denn als Undercover-Ermittlerin einer Sondereinheit des BKA ist es ihre Aufgabe, Serienkiller auf frischer Tat zu überführen, und dazu gibt es nur zwei Wege: Targa muss sich einem Mörder ausliefern – oder ihn glauben lassen, sie sei wie er.

 

 

Falk Sandman ist Hochschuldozent, charismatisch, clever und besessen von den letzten Worten Sterbender – seiner Opfer. Eines Tages trifft er eine junge Frau, die sich für seine dunkle Seite interessiert. Sie will von ihm lernen, und Sandman fasziniert ihr gefühlloses Verhalten. Zunächst ist er skeptisch, doch allmählich vertraut er ihr.

 

Ein tödliches Spiel beginnt. Wer wird gewinnen?

 

Meine Meinung: 

 

Ich bin ja schon vor einiger Zeit auf das Schriftstellerpaar B.C. Schiller durch die Tony Braun Reihe aufmerksam geworden. Nachdem ich gesehen hatte, dass sie neues Buch herausbringen, war mir klar, dass ich dieses auch lesen möchte. Freundlicherweise wurde mir das Buch zu Rezensionszwecken vom Verlag zur Verfügung gestellt. 

 

Der Einstieg in das Buch ist mir anfangs nicht so ganz leicht gefallen, das hat sich aber glücklicherweise schnell gelegt. 

 

Die Geschichte rund um die ausgesetzten Zwillinge fand ich schon sehr interessant, dadurch wurde direkt Spannung aufgebaut. Je weiter das Buch vorangeschritten ist, umso spannender fand ich es. 

 

Der Klappentext hat ja schon verraten, dass die Hauptcharaktere etwas speziell sind. Dem kann ich nur zustimmen. Das hat es mir manchmal etwas schwer gemacht, ihre Gedanken und ihre Taten nachzuvollziehen. Ausserdem fand ich es leider in weiten Teil doch etwas unrealistisch. 

 

Ich habe mir aufgrund der anderen zuvor  bereits gelesenen Thriller des Autorenduos ein wenig mehr von diesem Buch versprochen. Ausserdem finde ich es auch schade, dass nirgendwo erkennbar ist, wann in etwa mit der Fortsetzung nach diesem fiesen Cliffhanger zu rechnen ist. 

 

Alles in allem bin ich auf diesem Buch ein wenig hin und hergerissen. Auf eine Art bin ich enttäuscht, auf der anderen Seite war es teilweise aber auch recht spannend, so dass ich das Buch schlussendlich mit 3,5 Sternen bewerten möchte. 

 
Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2017-09-19 15:42
Lies She Told
Lies She Told - Cate Holahan

By:  Cate Holahan 

ISBN: 9781683312956

Publisher:  Crooked Lane Books

Publication Date: 9/12/2017 

Format: Hardcover 

My Rating: 4 Stars 

 

LIES SHE TOLD by Cate Holahan is a dark and twisty mind-bending thriller with more than one unreliable narrator. 

On almost every page, this imaginative psychological thriller forces the reader to reconsider what is real. A book within a book when the lines of fact and fiction are blurred.

“The most dangerous untruths are truths slightly distorted.” — Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, Notebook H 

Manhattan author Liza, (of romantic suspense) is under extreme pressure with her upcoming novel. 

Trevor, a forty-two-year-old (editor) is telling a thirty-five-year-old woman in the middle of her target audience demographic, what her peers want in the sack. He thinks he knows trends. 

Alternating between Liza’s POV in the real world, and Beth (the protagonist) in Liza’s novel. Needless to say, both these ladies lives are complex. 

"Blurring fact and fantasy is my trade. I am a con artist. A prevaricator. I make up stories." So why does he think this one is real? 

David Jacobson, husband of twelve years. Nick Landau, David’s law partner is missing. Nick never liked Liza.

Liza and David have been unable to conceive. Both the anxiety of this plus her writing deadlines push her to get lost in her characters. Their marriage is strained. 

. . . She does not invent her characters. She steals them from her surroundings. To be a writer is to be a life thief. Every day she robs herself blind.

"It is hard to believe that a man is telling the truth when you know that you would lie if you were in his place." —Henry Louis Mencken, A Little Book in C Major

As the pressure of the deadlines mounts, Liza becomes immersed in her heroine. Unfaithful? Murder?

Is she writing about her own life? 

Beth has a new baby and her husband, Jake is a prosecutor. He is cheating, while she is home taking care of the baby. The sexy officer, Colleen. The psychiatrist, Tyler, and an old friend.

Will both stories lead to murder? The lines are blurred. 

Who is telling the truth? Who is not? Two stories intertwined.

The author cleverly draws readers into a world where truth blends with delusion, plus more. . . 

Dark, twisty, and sinister grip-lit. The author keeps the reader on its toes while switching from fact and fiction while questioning every move. 

Chilling, unique, intriguing, and disturbing, LIES SHE TOLD, will keep readers turning the pages. With all the books about LIES these days, this one definitely takes a distinctive spin. 

A special thank you to Crooked Lane and NetGalley for an early reading digital copy. 

I also purchased the audiobook narrated by Amy McFadden and Lisa Larsen, for a captivating performance.

JDCMustReadBooks

Source: www.judithdcollinsconsulting.com/single-post/2017/05/12/Lies-She-Told
Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2017-09-19 14:07
Book 2 in Dublin Murder Squad a Disappointment (DNF)
The Likeness - Tana French

FYI, I DNF this book at page 122. I skimmed the rest of the book and only fully read the last four chapters to see about the resolution of the story. 

 

Please note this book will have spoilers from book #1, so read at your own risk. 

 

Image result for you try my patience gif

 

So instead of me posting gifs of people running away I am just going to try to keep this short. The entire premise of this book was absurd. I could not get past it.


Cassie, the partner of Rob (who was the lead character in book #1) is back as the lead in book #2. It makes sense to showcase Cassie after the brutal breakup of the partnership between these two in book #1. Cassie transferred to Domestic Violence and is now in a relationship with Sam who is still in the Murder Squad (part of the Rob/Cass trio).

 

When Cassie is called to a murder site by Sam, she runs across her old boss (Frank Mackey) in undercover. They tell Cassie to cover up and be there quickly. When she is there, she finds a young woman that could be her twin that is murdered. The young woman also is using the name that Cassie used in her old undercover days, Alexandria Madison. Frank has a crazy idea though, he wants Cassie to go undercover as the dead woman and live with the dead woman's four roommates in order to flush out a murderer.

 

Image result for seriously gif

 

I can't. The whole plot was dumb. We then have Cassie waffling about being involved, but wanting to be involved and getting talked into via Frank. Sam the only person with any kind of damn sense sees how stupid this is. Also how did any superior sign off on this mess???

 

Cassie looks at some videos on the dead woman's phone so she is going to use that in order to see how to impersonate her.

 

Image result for seriously gif

 

Cause you know, you going to live with strangers who could be part of the reason why the woman is dead is totally a smart thing to do. I just hated this whole thing. I also hated how obsessed Cassie gets with the entire group of friends. She needs to see a therapist. Considering how she broke open the last case, I am wondering who this impostor is, she had no damn sense as far as I could tell the entire book. 

 

Cassie is adrift and feeling anxious since the last murder case she worked. I honestly don't get what she was anxious about. Was it the breakdown of her friendship with Rob (by the way he is barely mentioned which drove me up the wall) or was it the actual case itself? I felt like I got more insight into Cassie in book #1 and she wasn't the lead character. She is mysterious in this one and I will say it, kind of a moron. Did I say that already? Well she is. 

 

There is no character development at all in this book. I saw a couple of asides to her friendship with Rob, but not a lot. I honestly don't get what Sam was doing in this one and why he even put up with Cassie. Frank, eh, I know he is the subject of book #3, since Themis recommended that book that is the only reason why I am reading it. Only reason. 


The roommates are paper thin dolls. They make absolutely no sense. Three people being told what to do by one of the roommates who makes all their decisions for them. All four of the roommates are obsessed with not sharing their pasts and fixing up an old house. I hope you like reading about how lovely Cassie finds everything.  

 

The writing and flow of this book was nothing like book #1. I was over everyone which is why I DNF this book. Cassie becomes obsessed with the dead woman's life and thinks she knows her cause in some other life or something this could have been Cassie's world. I don't know guys, I just wanted to drink some wine and not think about this book. I just didn't have the patience for it at all. 

Eventually we find out what happened to Alexandria Madison. I didn't really care, but honestly anyone who read a book had to know where this was going. I ended up just feeling disappointed in Cassie and just over her. She jumped all over Rob for not seeing what was right in front of him for book #1, and I wanted to yell pot meet kettle at her when I read the last couple of chapters. If French had ended the book with Cassie trying to reconcile with Rob months later at the conclusion of this case it would have worked better for me. 


The setting was not great. Most of the action (if you can call it that) is at an old house that Cassie lives at with the roommates. They all act like this place is the best thing ever. It's an old and falling down home. That's it. 

 

The ending was a shoulder shrug to me. We already knew where Cassie's life was heading towards since Rob dropped information on us at the end of book #1. I just rolled my eyes at Cassie acting like her investigating this dead woman's life was some great experience. 

Like Reblog Comment
show activity (+)
review 2017-09-18 22:16
Lightning Men
Lightning Men: A Novel - Thomas Mullen

Darktown #2

By:  Thomas Mullen 

ISBN: 9781501138799

Publisher: Atria 

Publication Date: 9/12/2017

Format: Hardcover 

My Rating: 5 Stars + 

 

From the acclaimed author, Thomas Mullen who introduced readers to the hit, Darktown landing on my Top Books of 2016 —racial integration of Atlanta’s police department in 1948 — with an explosive multi-layered complex follow-up: LIGHTNING MEN. 

Racial violence and corruption continue in 1950’s Atlanta, with African-American police officers, Boggs and Smith. 

As they say in the South, these two find themselves in a "heap of trouble.” (Among others). 

“Hot Atlanta” is not just sizzling. It is blistering. Fiery. Tensions and emotions run high. Loyalties are tested between family and law. Color lines are threatened. Moral lines are blurred. 

The second in the Darktown series, Mullen uses his hard-boiled crime, cop procedural, to explore post-WWII racism in the South. 

The highly anticipated character-driven LIGHTNING MEN is much more than just a crime-fictional thriller. It is infused with critical historical details and timely controversial subjects we face today.

“Any candid observer of American racial history must acknowledge that racism is highly adaptable.” – Michelle Alexander, The New Jim Crow 

Highly-charged, Mullen turns up the intensity with characters facing moral, family, social issues and compromises. 

Tensions rise. From racial prejudice, moonshining, drugs, greed, conspiracy, Klansmen, fascist Columbians, white supremacist, corruption, bigotry, violence, Jim Crow laws, preachers, shootouts, paybacks, fear, power, and segregated neighborhoods.

In Darktown, we met rookies: Officer Lucius Boggs and his partner, Tommy Smith. 

From different backgrounds, their office was housed in the basement of the Negro YMCA, a makeshift precinct. They were not even allowed to arrest white men, nor allowed to drive a squad car. They could not patrol outside of the Negro neighborhoods that constituted their beat. No respect and little support. 

Only ten black officers patrolled those thousands of souls. A third of Atlanta were black, yet they were crowded into only a fifth of the land. 

Boggs and Smith had not taken bribes; however, with two years on the force, it appeared half of the white officers took bribes, so how long would the Negro officers resist? 

They were tiring of their powerlessness. The son of a preacher, Boggs was all too familiar with the fallibility of men, even men with power. 

Denny Rakestraw (white) is distrusted by his fellow officers for his suspected role in the disappearance of his former partner, Lionel Dunlow. 

Rakestraw is not a racist but finds it difficult to fit in with his fellow white cops and work with the ten black cops. Neither side, fully trusts him. 

Denny’s problems increase when his Klansman brother-in-law, Dale Simpkins, gets involved in a plot to stop the influx of African-Americans into his neighborhood, Hanford Park. 

Some cops are part of the Klan. Will they accuse one of the richest men in Atlanta of selling moonshine and marijuana?

Boggs had come to respect McInnis over the last two years. He had stuck up for his charges during a few disputes with white officers. How far can he go to protect them? 

Boggs (preacher’s son) is dating Julie with a young son, Sage. Soon to be married. His family opposes the relationship since she is not of their social status. She has a secret past. She is intimidated by their prestigious family. 

When a black man, Jeremiah is released from prison after five years, things get personal. Boggs life gets complicated when he learns the connection. 

Two years earlier, Boggs came close to resigning his position and had second thoughts after a near-death experience. Now, he is unsure again.

Too many mistakes that weighed heavily on his soul. He is sure there would be more guilt and an awkward relationship with his partner. Can he remain as a cop? 

Events will lead each character to major soul-searching. Smith had crossed another line as well. He was afraid. 


. . . The Armor. The façade victims’ families typically wore when they needed to protect themselves or the memory of their loved ones. Folks who wore The Armor sometimes had secrets to hide. 

The Armor was firmly in place as they parried the officer’s attempts to learn more about the deceased. They wore The Armor to keep the cops from learning things. The secrets. . . 

The Armor was worn by the innocent, who had nothing to hide but their dignity, and they were so deeply offended to be questioned by these employees of the corrupt City of Atlanta, these paid enforcers of Jim Crow, that they refused to play along. They may be innocent, hurt, or protective. 

. . . “And lines are only ideas people dream up, to govern what should be possible, to keep you from moving toward the forbidden.”


Three policemen struggle. Each has an agenda and react in different ways to protect. Loyalties are tested. Family versus law. 

Can they continue to work with one hand tied behind their packs without the proper support to do their jobs? Will the latest emotional events, their actions, and tensions make them second guess their current careers? Will they continue to serve and make Atlanta a better city, or is it a useless effort? 

After violence and a shootout, will Hanford Park be transformed? Will the lines between white and black be blurred after the postwar crowding, pushing blacks into areas formerly considered whites-only (without violence)? 

From racial politics and struggles of history, Mullen does not miss a beat! 

The complex emotions of each character are portrayed in depth, making the characters jump off the page. Others threaten lives. Others protect. Struggles both interior and exterior. 

Complications. Affairs interrupted. Old scores settled. Blood feuds magnified. Pride. Costs were high. Greed. 

Hard-boiled. Explosive. Riveting. Timely! 

Love this enthralling series and looking forward to seeing what is in store next for Smith and Boggs. 

When reading of Boggs at his dad’s house for dinner with Julie, reminds me strongly of Greenleaf (a favorite show) and their preacher/family dinners. Heaven forbid, their children do not follow their well-laid controlled plans. 

Movie-worthy! For those who enjoy good crime fiction, and historical fiction as Mullen meticulously traces the civil rights movement through his well-written crime stories and cop procedurals, that involve "real" characters you come to care about. 

Fans of TV mini-series: Underground, Greenleaf and Queen Sugar will enjoy this intense series as well as Michael Connley’s Harry Bosch and Greg Iles' Penn Cage series. 

In addition to the early digital reading copy (thank you) provided by NetGalley and Atria, I also purchased the audiobook, narrated by Yahya Abdul-Mateen II – for an award-winning performance. Just finished. 

Move this series to the top of your list. If you reside in the South, this is a “must read.” Especially for those of us who found (find) Atlanta our home for many years. Another Southern winner! 

JDCMustReadBooks

****
Due to post-Irma, residing in South Florida with water damages, power outage, cell towers, and loss of internet for nine consecutive days; no gas, grocery, or mail service – late posting my review on pub day. Let's hope Maria does not pay us a visit. 

Yay! Today we have internet restored, power, cell towers, and mail service! Back in business. Ordered the hardcover copies of both DARKTOWN and LIGHTNING MEN for my personal library. So excited, they are out for delivery today, from Amazon! (Love the covers) Looking forward to receiving my copies. (Now, I have to figure out how to get the author to autograph) my copies. 

Busy catching up with posting reviews and my blog. Thanks everyone for your patience.
 
 
 

City on the verge of a race riot in ‘Darktown’ sequel


Thomas Mullen’s new novel examines brotherly hate  

By Tray Butler - For the AJC

 
 
 
 
Source: www.judithdcollinsconsulting.com/single-post/2017/04/19/Lightning-Men
More posts
Your Dashboard view:
Need help?