logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: thriller
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-24 09:56
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat ★★☆☆☆ (DNF)
Curiosity Thrilled the Cat - Sofie Kelly

I just could not get interested in this book. By the time I waded through all the exposition in the beginning chapters to get to the actual mystery, I no longer cared much. I like the idea of a cat-lady librarian for a main character, but other than judging people by the books they check out, there's not much library to this story aside from the setting. The cats weren't particularly engaging for me, either.

Anyway, I hate to abandon a book after getting so far into it, but I just couldn't face another seven hours of audio when I was barely paying attention anyway. DNF at 32%

Audio version, borrowed from my public library. Cassandra Campbell's performance was ok. I was attempting to read this for the 2018 Halloween Bingo square Cozy Mystery:  a subgenre of crime fiction in which sex and violence are downplayed or treated humorously, and the crime and detection take place in a small, socially intimate community. Instead, I have picked up book #6 in the Haunted Home Renovation series, Give Up the Ghost - Juliet Blackwell  .

review 2018-09-24 04:42
Beastly Bones
Beastly Bones: A Jackaby Novel - William Ritter

Oh my goodness, this series is so much fun! I loved this second book every bit as much as the first. It was great to see Abigail assert herself more and get to flex her paleontology muscles and get a glimpse of what might have been had her first fateful dig not failed so miserably. Still, I can’t be anything but grateful for the failure that set her on the path to employment with Jackaby. These two may be my favorite duo of supernatural investigators.

I don’t think I’m going to be able to review this without squeeing inarticulately and dropping heaps of spoilers, so I’ll just say it’s a quick (too quick! I want more!), fun (so much fun!) read and I can’t wait to get my hands on the next book.

I read this for the Halloween Bingo 2018 Shifters square.

review 2018-09-23 19:59
Review: “One-Eyed Royals” (Seven of Spades, #4) by Cordelia Kingsbridge
One-Eyed Royals - Cordelia Kingsbridge

~ 5 STARS ~

review 2018-09-23 17:30
The Wicked Lady by Mary Lancaster
The Wicked Lady - Mary Lancaster

Lady Kate Crowmore is finally free of her monstrous husband, but the ton that expects her to mourn the bastard, has also turned her back on her, since she was found in her lover's bed the night she got the news of Crowmore's death. So Kate has come to Blackhaven to lick her wounds and to forget about the scandal...Yet the townsfolk also cut her. Except the mysterious curate, Tristram Grant.

Grant knows there's more to the wicked lady that meets the eye, but he'll need all his cunning and perseverance to get under Kate's protective armor. He just hopes, he's in time, before someone kills her.

This story was love-at-first-sight on steroid. They only met and he already said he wanted to marry her. Sheesh. Needless to say, I wasn't convinced about the romance. I wasn't really convinced about the main protagonists, in fact. I found facade of wicked lady a little too abrasive at times (I know she had her reasons not to let anyone close, but still), and he came across as too much of a doormat sometimes. In the end, I felt they worked better as friends and confidantes than love interests.

It was really the supporting cast that saved the day. From the supposed French spy who turned out to be Tris's half-brother (I didn't really care much about the other brother, though), Kate's maid, the good doctor (some other man than in the first book) and his wife, the magistrate and his wife, the Muirs and the happy couple Wickenden (I liked the "wicked baron" better than in his own book, he sounded lighter and happier, I guess).

And then there was the suspense. A little less prominent than in the previous book, but still intriguing, even though the big mystery was revealed quite early on. Still, it kept the reader guessing just what might happen next and just how the hired hands would get about ridding the world of Kate Crowmore.
It was the "resolution" that left a big question mark on everything. Why was the suicide needed?

The romantic sub-plot also had a slightly iffy resolution with all the passing of Kate between the two brothers (figuratively speaking) and I'm still not sure just what was with all the haste. She's already made up her mind, couldn't he wait another day?

It felt like the story was all over the place, really, with various plot elements not really connecting fully, creating a rather disjointed reading experience. It would've helped a little if the romance was solid.

review 2018-09-23 15:05
Unnatural Death
Unnatural Death - Dorothy L. Sayers

I´m turning into a Lord Peter Wimsey fangirl. These books are so much fun. And I just want to urge everyone to read this book, because Miss Climpson gets introduced. And Miss Climpson with her odd style in writing letters and her attitude has become one of my favorite characters almost immediately.

The odd thing about Unnatural Death is that Lord Peter doesn´t have an actual murder to investigate. He much rather has a hunch that something is fishy about the natural death of Agatha Dawson and from there the hunt for a murderer begins, even though the Police and Lord Peter haven´t a lot to work with.

One thing that bothered me, though, was that everyone, whether it being Lord Peter, Parker or Miss Climpson, didn´t have their a-game on solving the mystery. I suspected a major plot point early on and the murder method was clear to me as well. The big moment of revelation for the characters fell a bit flat for me and I was puzzled by the fact that everyone was so slow on the uptake. I guess everyone is allowed to have a bad day every once in a while, even Lord Peter Wimsey.