logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: thriller
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-27 21:15
One Was Lost - Natalie D. Richards

♪♫My Pick For Book Theme Song♫♪

Going Under by Evanescence  --this is for…you-know-who…ya know the one who shall remain a mystery…

♫Blurring and stirring the truth and the lies
So I don't know what's real and what's not
Always confusing the thoughts in my head
So I can't trust myself anymore

Book Title:  One Was Lost

Author:  Natalie D Richards

Series:  Stand-Alone

Genre:  YA, Mystery

Source:  E-Book (via hoopla)

Add to Goodreads

My Thoughts

A fast paced, suspenseful mystery, that's not without it's flaws.  But, overall I found this nail bitingly intense and hard to put down.  As long as you're not expecting literary perfection, and you enjoy YA Suspense/Mysteries this is a thrilling read.  Seriously, I just kept waiting for the banjo...

Ratings Breakdown

Plot:  3.8/5

Characters:  3.8/5

The Feels:  4.5/5

Addictiveness:  4.5/5

Theme:  4/5

Flow:  3.2/5 (disjointed at times)

Backdrop (World Building):  4/5

Originality:  3/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Ending:  4/5  Cliffhanger:  Nope

Will I read more from this Author?  I might…

OVERALL RATING: 4/5 STARS or B+

review 2017-03-27 15:08
Executive Order (Reeder and Rogers Thriller) - Max Allan Collins

Action? You want action? This book starts out with four of the top CIA agents in an area between two countries unknown to them that they are about to start a war. They can see tanks and other military vehicles from both countries on either side of them. However they are just sitting there. All of a sudden they start moving towards the agents and then Russian paratroopers start descending from the skies above. The war is starting and the agents are caught in the middle. They are, of course, caught in the middle and killed. No one in America knows that they are there. The head of the CIA does not know they are there. They president has ordered that no one should be there. Why are they there? No one seems to know. What is going on.

The Secretary of the Interior is suddenly dead. She has ate a sandwich that has sesame in it. She's allergic to sesame. Is it murder or just a coincidence?

This just the start of what's going on in this book. The president calls in Joe Reeder to help figure out what exactly is going on.

The action only picks up from here.

This is a book you definitely don't want to start reading at bedtime. I had to stop reading the book right in the middle of the best part and I was not happy. I went back and started again just so I could get my heart pumping and into it. Because, believe me, that's exactly what happened when I was reading this book.

I read number 2 in the series of this book and just like this book found it outstanding. A great read that I did not want to put down. The pages just by. The action was continuous. I was so into this book. While the ending did tie up everything, I still did not want it to end.

The characters of Reeder and Rogers are very likeable. They work well together and their relationship is more like brother and sister. I like that. The author did a great job with all the action that was going on in the book and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks to Thomas & Mercer for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest unbiased review.

review 2017-03-26 00:06
Stillwell: A Haunting on Long Island by Michael Phillip Cash

This is a relatively short, easy read. Given that the story revolves around a recently widowed man--Paul Russo--and his family, dealing with grief is one of the main themes, as is facing one's demons. In that manner, the tale is somewhat allegorical, although the vast majority of the plot plays out with Paul denying any supernatural involvement as he tries to move on with his life and his job as a realtor by selling a local mansion. "Stillwell", however, relied too much on horror tropes--lost loved ones who haven't moved on, haunted houses, good vs. evil--so the story was rather run-of-the-mill and not very memorable.

review 2017-03-25 17:36
Fellside ★★★★☆
Fellside - M.R. Carey

The most fascinating thing about this book is the portrait of a secondary character, a nurse who joined the profession from a desire to help others. Starting with a struggle between duty and a legitimate anger over the crimes she believes were committed against a child, she gradually desensitizes herself to acts of negligence and violence that her self-righteousness allows her to justify, until there is little to distinguish her from the convicted felons that she tries to punish.

The main story was worthwhile, too, but the plot took forever to get moving. I enjoyed it overall, but this did not grab me and shake me the way that The Girl With All the Gifts did.

Audiobook, borrowed from my public library via Overdrive. Finty Williams provides excellent narration.

review 2017-03-25 03:26
I Wish You Missed Me: A thriller set in California (A Kit Doyle Mystery) - Bonnie Hearn Hill

This was my second book by this author and with Kit Doyle as a character. I had a hard time with one of the characters in this book not trusting Kit. The author never really said why, I guess it was covered in another book.

Anyway, Kit's friend, Farley, is missing and no one has heard from him. He was supposed to go surfing but all of his surfing stuff is still at his house. So Kit is looking for him. She also has a cohort named Virgie who gets the laughs in this book. And for mystery, we have a van following Kit around. There's also some strange characters living off the grid.

I found the book to be entertaining and other than the trust issue with Kit, I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks to Severn House for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.