logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: tigers
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-06-11 00:23
"Real Tigers - Slough House #3" by Mick Herron - Part of my Summer of Spies reading
Real Tigers - Mick Herron

Slough House is where MI5 stables its Slow Horses, screw-ups assigned soul-destroying make-work tasks designed to drive them to resign from the service, Except each of them believes that, one day, they'll earn their way out of Slough House. That unlikely hope keeps them working at pointless tasks that verge on self-harm.

The atmosphere in Slough House, this purgatory for fallen spies, reaks of quiet desperation sustained through sheer bloodymindedness in the face of failure, weakness and disregard. In that respect, the Slough house books are quintessentially English.

"Real Tigers" starts with the abduction of one of the Slough House crew and rapidly escalates into a situation which could end Slough House and bring the Intelligence community under the close control of Home Secretary Judd, an unscrupulous right winger, with his eye on the premiership who is willing to do anything to advance his career.

Where it not for the fact the Boris Johnson is indirectly referred to in the book, one might think that Judd, this clown-on-the-outside-elitist-narcissistic-sociopath-on-the-inside character was Boris under a different name.

Although the plot is clever, the pace is tense, the action is vivid and violent and the . contemporary politics is convincing and provocative, the reason I enjoy these books is the quality of Mick Herron's writing which has the same dank smell as a London Underground stairwell on a Sunday morning. He manages perfectly to blend the lyrical with the cynical to produce a beaten up, abused-by-its-owner sort of hope.

He describes an online forum for conspiracy theorists or whack jobs as the professionals describe them as a place where:

"the prevailing attitude resembled what you’d get if you spliced the DNA of an only child, a Daily Mail reader and a viciously toxic bacillus: an organism that was self-obsessed, full of pent-up rage, and sprayed poisonous shit everywhere. Symptoms included a tendency to lapse into capitals, the dismissal of all dissent as Establishment toadying, and a blinding ignorance of Occam’s razor."

He evokes Judd's character with deft throwaway descriptions of behaviour like:

"Judd worked his way through a train of thought, carriage by carriage."

and follows up with interior dialogue like Judd telling himself to put his game face on to deal with a situation and then saying to himself:

"Yes, well, anyone who didn’t have a game face for the plebs didn’t deserve their vote in the first place, was Judd’s view. Not that he’d say it out loud, of course—always important to stress that. Never say 'plebs' out loud."

"Real Tigers" is an excellent book to read if you want a spy novel that will make you glad you're not a spy, make you cheer for the underdog and give you hope that Boris  Judd will get his comeuppance very soon.

review 2018-06-07 10:00
Review! HotFurStripes (Striped Passions #1) D.B. Shayne!
Hot Fur Stripes - D.B. Shayne

A curvy journalist who has sworn off men of fur; a striped gorgeous billionaire intent on claiming her. And a deadline to fulfil a life-changing promise.

It was undeniable. Jasmine and Terrence burn hotter than hell’s flames for each other. The hunky tiger aches to sink his claws…and other things into the beautiful, sexy journalist but a shifter Jasmine dated pulled a crazy act on her-now she’s done with furry men.

Terrence is determined to make Jasmine his mate and he needs more than just her body hungry for him. He has a momentous pledge to honour and time is running out…

A sexy, insta-love tiger shifter romance.

Hot Fur Stripes is a standalone novella with a happy ending and no cliffhangers.

Hot Fur Stripes is a steamy novella with strong compelling characters that grab the reader’s attention and draws them into their story where readers can practically feel the chemistry sizzling between Terrence and Jasmine. As expected the story is very fast paced because it is a novella and it has romance, passion and suspense, but the story may have been a bit too fast because it seemed the story was missing something. All the same it was a delightful read, especially for someone with only a short amount of time, so I will be moving onto the next book in the Striped Passions series, Hungry Fur Stripes.

Hot Fur Stripes
Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34876916-hot-fur-stripes

The 1st book in the Striped Passions series which includes:
Hot Fur Stripes
Hungry Fur Stripes
Longing Fur Stripes
A Wish Fur Stripes
& coming soon - Yearning Fur Stripes.

Hot Fur Stripes is available in ebook at:

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZXZ617Q?tag=books2read02-20

B&N - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hot-fur-stripes-d-b-shayne/1127545895?ean=2940152774825

iBooks - https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/hot-fur-stripes/id1073271914?_bbid=9375501&mt=11

Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/hot-fur-stripes

can be found at:

Website - http://bit.ly/dbshayneauthor

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/14878474.D_B_Shayne

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/authors/d-b-shayne

Blog - https://landing.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/i4w3y3

review 2018-05-09 10:00
New Release Review! Knock Down Dragon Out (Soulmate Shifters in Mystery, Alaska #1) Krystal Shannan!
Knock Down Dragon Out - Krystal Shannan

His black heart wants only vengeance... until she needs him...

Unable to save his family from murdering traitors, Col has a mission: to kill the dragons who murdered the royal house of Li'Vhram. When a cute, curvy woman needs rescuing, though, his senses go on high alert. And her soul is calling directly to him. That only happens...

...with soulmates.

But Col made a vow. He must avenge his family. He can't fall in love with her, no matter how much his inner dragon roars "mate" every five minutes.

An overwhelming need to get away from life—from grief—sent Naomi on a trek through Alaska. Even though she was expecting to photograph some unique wildlife, she was NOT expecting a dragon.

Those don't exist, right?

And a dragon who turns into a human? Even more unlikely. A hot dragon prince... yeah, she's totally hallucinating. And when he won't leave her side, and their chemistry is off the charts, suddenly, it's a whole-new-world of fantasy and excitement, until danger finds her.

Warning: This series contains a group of sexy warrior shifters, plenty of exciting action, and melt-your-phone-sexy scenes.

You know I always thought that Alaska would be this beautiful but very cold place and well I couldn’t be more excited to tell you that is may very well be cold but while I was visiting Mystery, Alaska, it was so very, very hot. In fact, I would go so far as to say, I thought my clothes were just gonna melt right off. There was this group of sexy and super hunky warrior shifters that caught my attention and well I just couldn’t seem to keep my eyes in my head. And when a dragon shifter named Col met his soulmate, Naomi, things really started cookin’. Col and Namoi are strong, captivating characters that had some seriously sizzling chemistry that I could practically feel from every page as they worked through their differences and the emotional turmoil that goes hand in hand with differing cultures and then there was the fact that Col has some baggage from back home interfering with wooing of Naomi which lead to him fighting some seriously messed up dragons that were determined to destroy Col which of course added some thrilling danger and excitement to the story and kept me glued to the pages of this fast paced and excellent beginning to this new series.

Once again, Krystal Shannan has created an exciting, sexy and fascinating new world full of vibrant wonderful characters that she brings to magical life with her well written words. I was very excited to hear about this new Soulmate Shifters Series and I couldn’t wait to read the first book and I have to say that I was in no way disappointed, so I can’t wait until I get to visit Mystery, Alaska again and get to know more of these sexy warriors.

Knock Down Dragon Out is the 1st book in the Soulmate Shifters in Mystery Alaska series.

Knock Down Dragon Out is available in ebook at:

Amazon   B&N   GPlay   iBooks   Kobo

can be found at;

Website   Goodreads   Facebook   Twitter   BookBub   Pintrest

review 2018-02-01 00:00
Stiger's Tigers
Stiger's Tigers - Marc Alan Edelheit Stiger's Tigers - Marc Alan Edelheit Sort-of Roman army story, mixed in with fantasy elements.
Fairly standard story of new officer with a past gets given some dregs from the army and moulds them into the best fighting unit around.
Although there's nothing especially new or exciting, it's a well written book with decent characters.
Contains a good mixture of fighting, politics and details of the history without bogging down in page filler material.
review 2018-01-25 10:00
New Release Review! Claimed by Her Tigers (Paranormal Dating Agency) Ever Coming
Paranormal Dating Agency: Claimed by Her Tigers (Kindle Worlds Novella) - Ever Coming

Juniper Hiti calls to cancel her blind date. Gerri Wilder is having none of that.
When hyena shifter Juniper puts in an application at the Paranormal Dating Agency, she hopes to thwart her mother’s plan to arrange her mating. But according to her mother, the cackle’s alpha female, contracts have already been signed. Juniper sees only two choices: Agree to her mother’s plans and be sold to the highest bidder or disappear. She chooses the latter.

But when Gerri arranges a date for you, you’d better believe she’s going to make sure attend.
When her two hot dates, Noah and Shane, come knocking on her door just as she is about to flee her mother’s arranged mating, she does what any woman in position would do. She agrees to one night.

Juniper soon discovers that one night with her sexy tigers will never be enough.
But with broken contracts come consequences, consequences all three will face. Noah and Parker are ready to claim her, consequences be damned. But can they convince their sassy hyena to agree?

Claimed by her Tigers is an MMF Dating Agency Shifter Romance featuring a curvy woman and two hot tigers ready to claim their third.

Claimed by the Tigers is a delightfully red hot quick read that gets the blood pumping. The characters are strong and compelling drawing readers in and refusing to let go while the romance is full of heat and suspense ensuring that readers want to know the whole story and there is a couple of unexpected twists that surprise the characters as well as the readers. The story has some sizzling sex scenes that burn up the pages and have readers panting for more.

This is the first book that I have read by Ever Coming and I am pleased to say that it won’t be the last as I found the story to blistering hot and charming, which quite a pleasing combination.

Claimed by Her Tigers is part of the Paranormal Dating Agency Kindle World based on Milly Taiden’s Paranormal Dating Agency.

Claimed by Her Tigers is available in ebook at:

Amazon

Ever Coming can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Amazon   BookBub   Facebook