logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: to-re-read
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-03-31 17:44
Lines Composed a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey - William Wordsworth
Lines Composed a Few Miles Above Tintern Abbey - William Wordsworth

6 June, 1982

Read for AP English. I rather like Wordsworth, even though I'm not a huge poetry fan.

Norton Anthology of English Literature Volume II, which I have kept

***

31 March, 2017

Reread today because it came to my attention. Thirty-five years on, I'm not the same person who read it then. Now I have a daughter in her own senior year of high school. It seems an unbelievable length of time, and yet, hardly any. The math is accurate. But thirty-five years since I graduated high school? And here I am, full circle, worrying about Russia and nuclear war, and the Berlin Wall is now a piece of rubble in that part of the kitchen where strange things show up from time to time. Inconceivable.

I don't share Wordsworth's delight in the countryside in general, although I did find delight in standing outside just now, after the rain, looking for a rainbow. Still I think I get some of what he was trying to say. None of the people who were with me in that last year are near me now, although I suppose I could connect with them all on FaceBook, well, except my parents, who have both died. But I think I get the point he was making about being able to return to a place after whatever changes I've been through, and to feel again the same kinds of sensations. The place I return to isn't a scenic walk in the mountains at the Borders, it's a text, which is the only permanence I know.

There are only two kinds of poetry I care for, still: light verse which amuses and delights Old Possum's Book never gets old to me, nor The Jabberwocky, and poetry like this, that gets at the feelings. I suppose it is the same way I feel about music, that it is an easy and reliable way into a particular emotion.

None of this sheds any light on Wordsworth's poem, and my AP English teacher wouldn't have accepted a paper like this, but this is what reading is for me: a way to share emotions with other people across space and time, or even just with myself. An emotional time machine. I think he'd understand that.

Free copy from Project Gutenberg

review 2017-02-14 17:08
The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart
The Crystal Cave - Mary Stewart

I don't remember anything about this, except what happens to Merlin, which may not even be part of this book.

****
1994 Jul 16

It's been at least thirty years since I read this. Since then I've read a great many retellings of the Arthurian legend, which I don't think would have come if not for this. Marion Zimmer Bradley didn't copy this at all, but Stewart, as far as I know, set the precedent for an ancient magic largely based on herbalism, and some sort of real precognition.

Off to a good start.

****

2008 Oct 25

I enjoyed this a great deal. I like the time she set the story, it is Arthurian not Medieval. It was hard to believe I'd ever read this before. I didn't remember a thing. Who knows, maybe I read The Last Enchantment and just thought I'd read The Crystal Cave. Fun, but not great literature. The focus on Merlin made for a nice twist. I like it that he has no powers other than an infrequent foretelling. This Merlin is a trained engineer, a learned man, who seems like a magician to the ignorant. That said, it falls away. I finished it less than forty-eight hours ago, and already it seems dim. Maybe I should try rereading Touch Not the Cat. Maybe that would stick better.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2015-09-03 17:04
Lazarus #19
Lazarus #19 - Greg Rucka

4 Stars, Buy it

Self Purchase, Comixology

SPOILERS

Forever appears to be dead. And of course then she isn’t. (I don’t see how the comic would be able to go on without her really so I’m not terribly surprised). But this issue mainly deals with Forever, with a little of other side stories going on.  This is a good issue but not as crazy good as the previous issue but definitely still worth having.

Description: "POISON," Part Three.  One bullet makes all the difference.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2015-07-30 15:37
Lazarus #18
LAZARUS #18 (MR) - Cool Image

5 Stars, Buy it

Self Purchase, Comixology

A doctor has been brought in to the Carysle compound to help the sick/dying head of the family. Meanwhile, Forever is getting some military action in. I absolutely love Forever’s character. She’s loveable yet sexy and intense. Not much seems to happen, just political stuff and military action. but then HOLY SHIT the end.  NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!   SPOILER.  Forever is shot and it looks like in the head.  Boy is it going to be a wait for the next issue.  Love this series. Not meant for younger readers as it can be very graphic and gory. But I seriously love this series.  I was going to only rate this issue 4 stars, until the end. Now I have to rate it 5. Can’t wait for next issue!!!

Description (Comixology): "POISON," Part Two.

Hock forces have engaged Carlyle troops on the shores of Lake Superior, and to turn them back Forever must take her place on the front...where the enemy is waiting for her.

review 2015-05-13 15:51
The Broken Crown
The Broken Crown - Michelle West,Michelle Sagara

Star Rating: 5 Stars, Buy it

Self Purchase for Kindle, Re-read review

If you haven't read this series, you really have no idea of what you are missing. The writing style is so unique and superb and adds so much to the series. I must admit though sometimes the writing can be hard to follow. Also, there is so much politics in this series, that sometimes I just can’t follow it all. That being said though, it’s still an incredibly original and unique series.   This is a reread for me, having read this originally years ago.  I had forgotten how long the prelude was on this book. At 9% in, I’m only now getting to chapter one. Yes, Michelle Sagara West can be very wordy. Normally I don’t mind but I wanted to get sucked back into this world so it was hard to plow through the opening which I barely remembered- but this time I actually understood what it was about since I know the novel.

Part of what makes this book so amazing is that it’s so unique, not only in the writing style I mentioned above but also in the world building. It’s so incredibly detailed, you can’t keep track of it all. Especially the names, I find the names hard to keep track off. But as this is my second time around, I'm finding it a smidgen easier than the first time.  While I’ve given this book a high rating, If I were to rate it again, I might do so just a smidge less than 5 stars. Some points of this book are so hard to plow through.

Another thing I want to mention is that I remembered this book differently. The writing style was exactly how I rememebered but the plot was different. I’m wondering if I am remembering the wrong book in the series or a different book. But I know I had the characters right.  I will answer this question when I get around to reading the second book in the series.  But for now, some notes on my favorite characters:

Jewel- where to start with her. She has her own series related to this one in which we learn all about her past leading up  to this series (These are called the House War books). I love her character but she is barely in this first volume.

Diora- The Flower of the Dominion- is my other favorite character. She is a very complicated, intelligent and very sneaky young woman.

Cover- I absolutely adore the cover and think is a perfect depiction of the novel.

Description (Amazon): Tor Leonne—the heart of the Domionion of Annagar, where the games of state are about to become a matter of life or death—and where those who seek to seize the crown will be forced to league with a treacherously cunning ally… Tor Leonne, ancestral seat of power, where Serra Diora Maria di’Marano—the most sought-after beauty in the land, a woman betrayed by all she holds dear—may strike the first blow to change the future of Dominion and Empire alike…

Averalaan Aramarelas—the most ancient of civilized cities, the home of the Essalieyan Imperial Court, has long been a center of magics both dark and bright.  And though the Enpire won its last war with the Dominion, and survived a devastating, magic-fueled battle with a far deadlier foe, both those victories were not without their cost… But now the realm is on the brink of a far greater confrontation, faced with an unholy alliance that could spell the end of freedom for all mortalkind…