logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: tom-gauld
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2014-11-01 09:00
Review: I Think I Can See Where You're Going Wrong
I Think I Can See Where You're Going Wrong: And Other Wise and Witty Comments from Guardian Readers - Marc Burrows,Tom Gauld

There are many books out there that collect amusing anecdotes about weird things happening in a certain environment. I can't think of a single job that involves dealing with people that hasn't yet been written about. This book doesn't really depart from that formula (after all even online-commentators are people) but it's still clear that more thought went into it than hastily throwing together a 'best of' from the Guardian comment section.

First of all each chapter has a hilarious introduction that pokes fun at the topic of the chapter, Guardian-readers and the Guardian itself in (more or less) equal amounts. There also are just as hilarious notes on some of the comments or people/events mentioned in them (like describing George Galloway as 'Reality TV cat-impersonator').

However what I really loved were the illustrations done by Tom Gauld (of You're just jealous of my jet-pack-fame...and that cool The Three Musketeers-cover). I love his style in general and they were just great interpretations of some of the comments. (I almost wish there had been a few more but it's quality over quantity I suppose).

If you only buy a single 'amusing anecdotes'-book make it this one.

ARC provided by NetGalley.

review 2014-10-29 08:50
I Think I Can See Where You're Going Wrong by Marc Burrows and Tom Gauld

As someone who regularly reads the Guardian and always reads the comments section, I knew what to expect when I received this book. Guardianistas (as they’re called) are, in my opinion, some of the most fascinating commenters on the Internet. That doesn’t mean they always leave thoughtful and intelligent comments, but at the very least they are interesting. This is not only due to the commenters’ sarcasm and wit, but also to the team of moderators who help keep the place civil. The fun (and cringing) come from the fact that, as Marc Burrows, the editor (and moderator) says, every single one of these commenters “passionately believes the first rule of the internet: they are completely right, and everyone else is wrong."

This book did not disappoint. There are some funny and memorable quotes on everything. I have to admit, though, that reading the quotes out of context is not nearly as funny as reading an article and then scrolling down to find baffling comments from every part of the spectrum of opinions. I would have preferred to see more quotes on each section. Nevertheless, this is a good book to give as a gift to a friend in need of a laugh.

Note: I got this book for review purposes through NetGalley.

review 2013-05-28 00:00
You're All Just Jealous Of My Jetpack - Tom Gauld Combines the sensibilities of [a:Edward Gorey|21578|Edward Gorey|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1200338278p2/21578.jpg] and [a:Kate Beaton|2921970|Kate Beaton|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1318610112p2/2921970.jpg], so you can well imagine how much I enjoyed this. Lots of Shakespeare jokes. Also the use of "wibbly wobbly" although without "timey whimey".Library copy.
review 2013-05-06 00:00
You're All Just Jealous Of My Jetpack - Tom Gauld Love this one! The title cartoon is one of my favorites of all time (and the source of my tumblr title).
review 2013-01-09 00:00
Goliath
Goliath - Tom Gauld The feels!Just leave Goliath alone!He didn't even want to be there!Don't throw th-Oh.The feels.--Seriously, though. This was brilliant. I'm an atheist that likes to read biblical retellings (as long as they aren't hyper-christian). Gauld definitely has a knack for evoking emotion using an incredible simple medium. The art in this illustrated novel is simple and almost childlike, which I think makes Goliath all the more endearing. Poor thing.