logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: urban-fantasy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-19 23:54
Review: Blood Trade (Jane Yellowrock #6) by Faith Hunter
Blood Trade: A Jane Yellowrock Novel by Faith Hunter (2013-04-02) - Faith Hunter;
Blood Trade

April 2nd 2013
Paperback
337
library

Jane Yellowrock is a shape-shifting skinwalker who’s always up for a fight—even if it means putting her life on the line...

The Master of Natchez, Mississippi has a nasty problem on his hands. Rogue vampires—those who follow the Naturaleza and believe that humans should be nothing more than prey to be hunted—are terrorizing his city. Luckily, he knows the perfect skinwalker to call in to take back the streets.

But what he doesn’t tell Jane is that there’s something different about these vamps. Something that makes them harder to kill—even for a pro like Jane. Now, her simple job has turned into a fight to stay alive…and to protect the desperately ill child left in her care.

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

iBooks

Book Depository

Blood Trade takes Jane and her gang to Asheville. The Master of Natchez, Mississippi has a problem and he needs Jane to clean it up.

Jane and Beast are awesome in this installment. Their was some good progress on their front. Jane has been depressed and Beast is not happy with her. Why? Well in Death’s Rival some bad things happened. Jane lost her best friend, is now tied to MoC of Louisiana, and Rick well he’s out and in her life, which makes things difficult. She’s all messed up in the start of this book.

Their is no shortage of action and blood. Jane has a job to do and she gets it done, but she is no longer alone. She’s got a team, the Younger brothers. I’m really enjoying the Younger brothers and how Jane has pretty much made herself a family of sorts. They are helping Jane grow as well as adding to the story.

Love triangles are not my thing. I’m so over all the men in Jane’s life, but manly I’m so over Rick. Each and every time he sets foot in Jane’s life it hurts her. We are at book six now and their is no resolution on the boyfriend/not-boyfriend angle. I’m tired of it and ready for no man or for her to be with someone who will stand by her.

Jane Yellowrock is an enjoyable series. Jane herself is unique and a kick-ass chick.

Rated: 4 Stars

Challenge(s): Pick Your Genre (UF) | Backlist Reader Library Love (2017)

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/10/review-blood-trade-jane-yellowrock-6-by-faith-hunter
review 2017-10-19 15:57
The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch
The Furthest Station - Ben Aaronovitch

Series: Rivers of London/Peter Grant #5.7 (not sure why it isn't 5.5)

This novella is an excellent little interlude with a mystery involving ghosts on the Underground and showcases many of our favourite characters: Nightingale, Toby, Abigail, Jaget, and Molly. Even Guleed gets a mention although she doesn't make an appearance. We get exposed to a little bit of the history of the Folly and it's just all around good fun.

review 2017-10-19 10:00
Review: First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson # 1) Darynda Jones

This whole grim reaper thing should have come with a manual.
Or a diagram of some kind.

A flow chart would have been nice.

Charley Davidson is a part-time private investigator and full-time grim reaper. Meaning, she sees dead people. Really. And it's her job to convince them to "go into the light." But when these very dead people have died under less than ideal circumstances (like murder), sometimes they want Charley to bring the bad guys to justice. Complicating matters are the intensely hot dreams she's been having about an entity who has been following her all her life...and it turns out he might not be dead after all. In fact, he might be something else entirely. But what does he want with Charley? And why can't she seem to resist him? And what does she have to lose by giving in?

With scorching-hot tension and high-octane humor, First Grave on the Right is your signpost to paranormal suspense of the highest order.

This book has a little bit of everything, paranormal, suspense, mystery, hints of romance, an intriguing story line that keeps readers wanting to know more and a main character that is snarky and vulnerable which has readers wanting to get better acquainted.

Charley Davidson’s character seems to have her life together, she’s a private investigator who consults with cops occasionally but she also has a secret side; she’s the grim reaper and unfortunately while she knows a little, there seems to be a whole lot that she doesn’t know about which adds a lot of intrigue but also makes her character vulnerable and one that readers can relate to. She has a snarky attitude and she’s full of pizazz which readers can’t help but like. The story hints at some hot and heavy chemistry with a shadow character that Charley’s not real sure is even real which adds even more suspense to a story that already has plenty and then there are a bunch of secondary characters that are every bit as fascinating as Charley who add quirkiness, laughs and drama.

An original storyline that hooks readers from the get go and the intrigue just keeps coming with twists and turns that keep readers on the edge of their seats and unable to put the book down.  A bit of mystery, a bit of action, well-written characters and quite a bit of dramatic interaction plays a big part in this book, add in a few laughs and readers never have dull moment.

Overall, the author does a fantastic job of engaging the readers with the multiple sub-plots, wonderful characters and a series opener that promises a phenomenally great time and I am looking forward to reading more of Charley’s adventures. Did I mention that I really love her name?

First Grave on the Right is the first book in the Charley Davidson series

The 12th book The Trouble with the Twelfth Grave is due to be released on October 31, 2017

First Grave on the Right is available in print or ebook at:

Amazon   B&N   BAM   GPlay   Indie   ibooks   Kobo   StMartins

Darynda Jones can be found at:

Website   Goodreads   Facebook   Twitter   Pintrest

review 2017-10-16 14:54
Audio Review: Second Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson #2) by Darynda Jones (Narrator: Lorelei King)
Second Grave on the Left - Darynda Jones

August 16th 2011
Audiobook
9 hours and 30 minutes
Library

Charley Davidson, Grim Reaper Extraordinaire, is back in this sexy, suspenseful novel of supernatural shenanigans.

When Charley is rudely awakened in the middle of the night by her best friend who tells her to get dressed quickly and tosses clothes out of the closet at her, she can't help but wonder what Cookie's up to. Leather scrunch boots with a floral miniskirt? Together? Seriously?

Cookie explains that a friend of hers named Mimi disappeared five days earlier and that she just got a text from her setting up a meet at a coffee shop downtown. They show up at the coffee shop, but no Mimi. But Charley finds a message on the bathroom wall. Mimi left a clue, a woman's name. Mimi's husband explains that his wife had been acting strange since she found out an old friend of hers from high school had been found murdered a couple weeks prior. The same woman Mimi had named in her message.

Meanwhile, Reyes Alexander Farrow (otherwise known as the Son of Satan. Yes. Literally) has left his corporeal body and is haunting Charley. He's left his body because he's being tortured by demons who want to lure Charley closer. But Reyes can't let that happen. Because if the demons get to Charley, they'll have a portal to heaven. And if they have a portal to heaven... well, let's just say it wouldn't be pretty. Can Charley handle hot nights with Reyes and even hotter days tracking down a missing woman? Will Cookie ever get a true fashion sense? And is there enough coffee and chocolate in the world to fuel them as they do?

Here is your signpost for the most hilarious listen of the summer: Second Grave on the Left.

Goodreads

Amazon

Barnes & Noble

Kobo

Book Depository

Second Grave on the Left is book two in the Charley Davidson series by Darynda Jones.

The humor continues in this second installment of Charley Davidson. It’s over-the-top ridiculous, but so much fun. Expect to laugh out loud.

Charley is one unusual character. Her personality, fearlessness, and sauciness just add to the whole thing. Cookie is Charley’s friend, neighbor, and co-worker. She is a great sidekick. She’s got Charley’s back and brings her own humor into the mix. The main plot revolves around one of Cookie’s friends, so she’s taking a more active role in this investigation. I liked seeing more of Cookie and having her around with Charley.

I had fun with the different mysteries, yes, their is more then one thing going on. I also cried in some areas. I’m glad I don’t have to wait for the next book release; because the ending left me wanting more asap.

The Narrator, Lorelei King, brings Charley and all the characters to life. It’s memorable. Her witty tone and colorful reading add to the listeners enjoyment and bring’s the world and characters to life. I’m so adoring the audiobooks for this series.

I have to say Jones and King are a winning combo. I’m savoring the audiobooks for the Charley Davidson series. I recommend giving this series a listen. You certainly will have a good time!

Rated: 4 Stars

Challenge(s): Pick Your Genre (UF) | Backlist Reader | Library Love (2017)

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/10/audio-review-second-grave-on-the-left-charley-davidson-2-by-darynda-jones-narrator-lorelei-king/#comment-99830
review 2017-10-13 02:55
Because I'm a completist
Gunmetal Magic - Ilona Andrews

Drat, barely a vampire cameo. Will need another book. No matter.

I'm not as invested in Andrea, much less in her hit-me/kiss-me relationship with Raphael, but I had fun. It's inevitable with any of Andrews' books. Fast pace, mythology tie ins, and badass characters all around are always good. And I'm closer in filling in the bits of Kate Daniel's world.