logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: urban-fantasy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-18 15:16
Moon Called / Patricia Briggs
Moon Called - Patricia Briggs

Mercedes Thompson, aka Mercy, is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like ours but is populated by those things that go bump in the night. And Mercy's connection to those things is about to get her into some serious hot water...

I’m not sure why this is a more difficult Christmas season than usual, but it is.  I’m having a hard time motivating myself to do anything besides the basics:  go to work, cook enough to survive, clean when I have to.  I didn’t even set up a Christmas tree this year—and I’ve done that continuously since 1996.  Plus I’ve found myself reluctant to read new books and I’ve gone on quite a binge of re-reading old favourites.

This one I am justifying to myself as a re-read in anticipation of the 11th book of the series coming out next May.  I’m just having a wander down memory lane, since this is one of the books that got me hooked on the urban fantasy genre.

I’d forgotten how quickly Briggs developed the plot in this first novel—the reader plummets into convoluted politics of various species, equally twisty personal relationships, plus lots & lots of details that set up the Mercy universe.  I was enthralled during that first encounter and have been happily sharing Briggs’ world since 2015.

I was somewhat startled to realize that Mercy was already crushing on Adam, right from the beginning!  Somehow, in my mind, the triangle between her, Adam, and Samuel started with the two men on more or less equal footing.  This is changing my view of Mercy—I like her better for knowing her own desires and not letting Samuel interfere (too much).

I really like Briggs’ depiction of the Fae and her version of vampires.  I’m still very glad I started reading this genre and I look forward to many more urban fantasy adventures in 2019.

review 2018-12-17 23:04
Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day
Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day - Seanan McGuire

I don't actually have a lot to say about this slender novella. One of the things I like about McGuire is that her world building often feels unique and surprising, and this story was no exception - I enjoyed the magic and world she built. The book was atmospheric and melancholy, which I appreciated. I also liked her treatment of the themes of loss, depression, and how living means more than simply existing. Where this book fell down for me is that it wasn't quite what I wanted it to be. I was really wanting a ghost story, and while it is literally that, it feels more like an urban fantasy. There are more trappings of an urban fantasy romp here than a gothic horror, and while that's not really damning it's not really what I was craving. All in all I liked it, but it wasn't quite the story I was hunting for.

review 2018-12-13 16:29
The Girl in the Green Silk Gown / Seanan McGuire
The Girl in the Green Silk Gown - Seanan McGuire

For Rose Marshall, death has long since become the only life she really knows. She's been sweet sixteen for more than sixty years, hitchhiking her way along the highways and byways of America, sometimes seen as an avenging angel, sometimes seen as a killer in her own right, but always Rose, the Phantom Prom Date, the Girl in the Green Silk Gown.

The man who killed her is still out there, thanks to a crossroads bargain that won't let him die, and he's looking for the one who got away. When Bobby Cross comes back into the picture, there's going to be hell to pay--possibly literally.

Rose has worked for decades to make a place for herself in the twilight. Can she defend it, when Bobby Cross comes to take her down? Can she find a way to navigate the worlds of the living and the dead, and make it home before her hitchhiker's luck runs out?

A big step up from Sparrow Hill Road, the first book which was basically a series of short stories. Not that that’s a bad thing, just not what I had been expecting. This is a true novel, with one intense story line. I was “supposed” to read other books before picking this one up, but I couldn’t resist its siren song. And I read it in two evenings, desperately wanting to know if ghostly Rose Marshall could get where she wanted to be.

This was the confrontation Rose had been dreading, pitting her will against that of her murderer, Bobby Cross. She does it with style, smarts and bravery plus a generous dollop of help from her friends. Even her frenemies get involved. I was on the edge of my seat throughout, wondering how each twist and turn would pan out.

I was interested to see McGuire reference the Price family again (a connection with her InCryptid series) as a potential haven for Rose. Mary, the crossroads ghost, featured in Tricks for Free, #7 of InCryptid, so we now have no doubt that these two series take place in the same universe. McGuire also introduces a bean sidhe as one of Rose’s friends, perhaps a connection to McGuire’s October Daye series. Wouldn’t it be fun to see all three story lines intersect at some point in the future?

review 2018-12-09 01:57
OFF THE GRID by FAITH HUNTER
Off the Grid: A Jane Yellowrock Story - Faith Hunter,Khristine Hvam

I read this in the anthology Black Water

The short stories are pretty sad/sick with the victims having a horrible story. This fit right in. I loved that the bad guys didn't get away.

review 2018-12-09 01:50
FEED by MIRA GRANT
Feed - Mira Grant

Re-read by audiobook

I previously read the paperback book in January of 2012. This time I listened to the audiobook.

This book felt completely different than when I read the paperback. I ended up really enjoying it which is great considering I gave it 2 stars. I liked it so much the second time around I already ordered the next book from the library - so there!

Previous review: This book kind of dragged for me and I found I had a hard time finishing it. Georgia "George" Mason and her brother Shaun are professional bloggers which has turned into a legitimate job after a virus has made every person and large animal who dies into a zombie. When the normal news media told everyone it was a hoax, the bloggers gave real information and warnings. George writes news stories and Shaun does shock type blogs filming himself teasing and killing the zombies and their friend Buffy is the technician and also a poet with her own blog. Their group is chosen to be part of the press for a presidential campaign which has given them legitimacy. The only problem is someone is sabotaging the campaign and people are dying and thus becoming zombies. There's a betrayal in this that I still don't understand the reason behind. It didn't make sense to me. So instead of being shocked I was thinking "What?" Also a very sad event takes place and being a natural crier, I was surprised I wasn't really moved. The book drags in places, but when I noted the amount of pages it really didn't drag long however I just couldn't get into to it. The concept was good, but it didn't really deliver for me. I'm in the minority though so my review should be taken with a grain of salt.