logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: urban-fantasy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-20 17:57
The Sun has Set
Molten Dusk - Karissa Laurel

Oh how I loved this series. I giggled with joy when I received each new one and a sad sigh when each ended. The first two books left my hanging bruised and worried for the characters this last book wrapped it all up wonderfully. If you are just starting the series you are lucky, no waiting/nail chewing/hair pulling they are all published !
Solina is at the end of the rope, possibly. The end of the world for humans rests on her shoulders. Oh the stress, it pushes her to make snap decisions and dangerous choices. She must hunt the great beast, Skoll, deal with betrayals, truths that hurt and her own heart, and so much more. Everything except the kitchen sink is thrown at her. It's a good thing this isn't the young naive Solina we first met in book 1, she has leaned her lessons well.
Thorn, sexy thunderous and sexy, opps already said that didn't I ? The norse thunder god is all he should be and more. He is an all powerful man who can step back and let the woman roar without feeling threatened. Woot Woot a man I can cheer for.
The bad wicked villains are rotten, nasty and perfectly evil. There was no switching personalities to sweet misunderstood bad guy which I appreciated. Sometimes a bad guy just needs to be a bad guy.
I only had one complaint, gripe, unfulfilled need, more. I wanted, oh I needed another chapter. The ending wrapped up so fast and skipped some detailing I wanted explored. I had to ask myself and a friend did they _____ ? My voyeuristic side was unsatisfied. My inner perv just can't stay down some times.
So, I bet you are wondering where the sneak peeks/spoilers are ? I'm not giving anything away, as you can see, deal with it and read the book for your answers. Okay I'll give something up, it was so good. ;D

review 2017-08-18 22:27
Mercy Blade / Faith Hunter
Mercy Blade - Faith Hunter

Things are heating up in the Big Easy. Weres have announced their existence to the world, and revived the bitter tensions that run between them and their old enemies: vampires.

As a trusted employee of Leo Pellissier, Blood Master of the City, Jane finds herself caught in the cross fire. When Jane is attacked by a pack of marauding werewolves, she is thankful for the help of a mysterious stranger named Girrard. He explains that he used to be Leo's 'Mercy Blade,' a sacred position charged with killing vampires who have gone insane.

What Jane doesn't know is why this powerful assassin left New Orleans--or, more troubling, why he's now returned. It's definitely not to make Jane's life easier...

I enjoyed this installment of Jane Yellowrock in spite of myself!  It’s only book three, and already Hunter has introduced werewolves to the mix.  Not that I mind them too much, just that I like vampires so much better.  Jane runs into them by accident—or was it an accident?  Can she know how much vampire master Leo is manipulating her life?

One of the reasons that I like Jane so much is that she bestows nicknames on the people around her.  That’s one of my bad habits—giving names to those people who I see frequently, but don’t really know.  I guess I’m glad to know that other people do the same thing.

If one thing troubles me, it’s that Jane is such a doormat when it comes to the men in her life.  However, she is so ultra-competent in her professional life that she would be positively Mary-Sue-ish if she didn’t have a major flaw, and this is it.  And really, who hasn’t been torn from time to time, wondering if you’ve chosen the right guy?  Jane has the added complication of Beast to deal with—trying to please two strong female personalities is a tough job for one guy.  She may need two or three!

A fun series and I will definitely continue on.

review 2017-08-18 21:38
WILDFIRE BY: ILONA ANDREWS
Wildfire - Ilona Andrews
fangirling

Ilona Andrews books are pure magic! Everything they come out with only makes me want MORE. And the Hidden Legacy series is no exception. Here is yet another vast urban fantasy world that I could live in forever and never tire of.

Not only does the world have me completely enamored, but the characters are so fabulous too! Obviously I am over the moon for Nevada and Mad Rogan, they are top ships undisputedly. But I am also completely in love with the whole Baylor family. The way they always have each other's backs, the way the tease each other, and that's not even touching on the fact that they each have really interesting magical talents that I feel like we only just touched on. If I had one wish right now it would be to get more books from each of the Baylor family members! I NEED MORE!

for the love of

PLEASE PUBLISH MORE HIDDEN LEGACY BOOKS!

give it to me
review 2017-08-18 17:04
Release Day ARC Review: The Unlikeable Demon Hunter: Need (Nava Katz #3) by Deborah Wilde
The Unlikeable Demon Hunter: Need (Nava Katz Book 3) - Deborah Wilde

August 18th 2017
eBook
428
ARC Review Copy

Less Hopelessly Devoted, more Worse Things I Could Do.

Nava is hot on the heels of a demonic serial killer and finally working with her brother. The assignment should be a dream come true, not a nightmarish power struggle made worse by her twin's refusal to believe there's corruption within the Brotherhood. Nava is determined to find proof of their dirty dealings, even as she risks irrefutably breaking her sibling bond.

Speaking of clocking annoying males upside the head... Nava is also totally over smoking hot rock star and fellow hunter Rohan Mitra. There is a veritable buffet of boy options out there, and this girl is now all-you-can-eat. So when her demon hunt brings her first love, Cole, back into her life, her revenge fantasies for closure-on all fronts-are a go. Except neither her old wounds nor her new ones are as healed as she believes.

Still, she's got work to do:

Brotherhood: unmask.

Demons: slaughter.

Guy problems: terminate with extreme prejudice.

Goodreads

Amazon

The Nava Katz series is one you have to read in order. Each installment builds a little more on the characters and world and takes us on a new adventure. It’s been a month between Sting and Need. Ari has his powers now thanks to Nava his sister, her relationship with Rohan is over, and she’s looking for the witches.

The Unlikeable Demon Hunter: Need is a crazy ride! It’s another whirl wind adventure with some hilarious moments. Their were a few surprises along the way and the ending was a happy one. Rohan comes back and we see that he’s cracked her armor. She loves him, but she knows/feels deep down he’s going to leave her. So where will that leave them? I’d say Nava has some trust issues. We see that her relationship with her brother is strained and Rohan is another complication, plus the Brotherhood being an all boys club and now a girls in it, so we have drama and conflict.

I wish we got more on the Brotherhood front and the witches. What is the deal? Where is this going? I also wish Nava would grow up a little. She needs to Adult more aka communicate. Her attitude is still very prickly and it’s getting old.

Even with the few issues I had. Need turned out to be a terrific addition to the series. I had a delightful time and look forward to seeing where things go.

Rated: 3.5 Stars

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Deborah Wilde with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Challenge(s): Pick Your Genre (PNR/UF) | New Release (2017)

I’m a 35 outdoor sun loving reader living near San Fransisco. I’m a mother, wife, dog owner, animal, and book lover. I’m the owner, reviewer, and mind behind Angel’s Guilty Pleasures. My favorite animals are horses & dogs. As for reading I love all things paranormal & urban fantasy. My favorite shifters are dragons!

Facebook Twitter Google+

Source: angelsguiltypleasures.com/2017/08/release-day-arc-review-the-unlikeable-demon-hunter-need-nava-katz-3-by-deborah-wilde
review 2017-08-16 09:29
Man muss nicht tot sein, um als Monster durchzugehen
The Lunatic Cafe - Laurell K. Hamilton

Die „Anita Blake“ – Reihe umfasst aktuell 25 Hauptwerke, Tendenz steigend. Daher beschäftigte mich die Frage, ob die Autorin Laurell K. Hamilton ein Finale für ihren extrem umfangreichen Mehrteiler plant. Ich habe die Antwort in einem Interview von 2016 gefunden: Nein. Es ist tatsächlich so simpel. Sie sagte, sie glaubt nicht an ein Happy End für Anita. Ich denke nicht, dass sie damit ausdrücken möchte, dass Anita nicht glücklich werden kann, sondern dass es für sie einfach nicht damit endet. Sie will herausfinden, was danach passiert. Obwohl ich diese Einstellung durchaus nachvollziehen kann, weiß ich noch nicht, ob ich sie wirklich gutheiße. Verdient Anita nicht ebenso einen Abschluss wie alle anderen UF-Heldinnen? Momentan bin ich von einem potentiellen Ende der Reihe allerdings noch weit entfernt; ich habe mich im Rahmen meines Rereads bis Band 4 „The Lunatic Cafe“ vorangelesen.

Ist ein bisschen Glück in der Liebe zu viel verlangt? Heißt man Anita Blake offenbar schon. Kaum hatte sie ein paar wundervolle, heiße Dates mit Richard Zeeman – High-School-Lehrer, Outdoor-Enthusiast und Werwolf – werden die Dinge kompliziert. In St. Louis verschwinden Lykanthropen. Nicht nur Richards Werwolfsrudel ist betroffen, sondern alle Gestaltwandler-Gruppen. Die untereinander verfeindeten Anführer_innen vermuten Entführung und Mord. Die Polizei einzuschalten ist keine Option, also bitten sie Anita geschlossen um Hilfe. Widerwillig nimmt sie den Auftrag an und stolpert schon bald über die schmutzigen Geheimnisse der Lykanthropen-Gemeinschaft, bei denen zu allem Überfluss auch noch der Meistervampir der Stadt seine Finger im Spiel hat. Eine Beziehung zu einem Alpha-Werwolf ist vielleicht doch keine besonders gute Idee…

Oh oh oh, Anita. Was machst du denn? Was ist los mit dir? Es ist doch sonst nicht deine Art, dich Hals über Kopf in eine Beziehung zu einem Mann zu stürzen, ohne ihn wirklich zu kennen. Ich erinnere mich, dass ich vor all den Jahren, als ich „The Lunatic Cafe“ (bzw. „Gierige Schatten“) zum ersten Mal las, nicht nachvollziehen konnte, wieso Anita sich blind auf Richard einlässt. Heute verstehe ich ihre Beweggründe besser, kann aber trotzdem nur den Kopf schütteln. Erstmals erleben wir eine Seite von Anita, die Laurell K. Hamilton und sie selbst bisher recht erfolgreich verborgen haben. Wir sehen sie als die verletzliche, unsichere junge Frau, die sie tief in ihrem Herzen ist. Sie ist berauscht von der Idee, dass Richard sie lieben könnte, weil sie unbewusst nicht glaubt, überhaupt liebenswert zu sein. Ihr taffes Gehabe offenbart sich endgültig als Fassade, als schützende Mauer, die sie selbst davon überzeugen soll, dass all die Toten, die direkt oder indirekt auf ihr Konto gehen, ihr Gewissen nicht belasten. In Wahrheit hält sich Anita für eine Art Monster, kaum besser als die Vampire, die sie im Auftrag des Staates pfählt. Sie interpretiert ihre Beziehung zu Richard als Chance auf Normalität, flüchtet sich überhastet in diese Hoffnung und verleugnet dadurch, wer sie wirklich ist. Sie macht sich etwas vor. Der weiße Gartenzaun, der Kombi in der Garage, die statistischen zweieinhalb Kinder passen weder zu ihr, noch zu ihrem Leben. Ich habe sie kaum wiedererkannt. Das konnte nicht gutgehen, weil sie einfach nicht bereit für so viel Nähe ist. Selbstverständlich spielt Richards Identität als Alpha-Werwolf ebenfalls eine Rolle, denn all die Verpflichtungen, diffizilen Regeln und Normen, die damit verbunden sind, lassen sich nicht ignorieren. Anita hat keinen blassen Schimmer, was es heißt, ein Werwolf zu sein, woran er nicht unschuldig ist. Er teilt diese bedeutsame Facette seines Lebens eher widerstrebend mit ihr und bringt sie dadurch meines Erachtens nach definitiv in Gefahr. Als die Anführer_innen der Lykanthropen der Stadt sie bitten, die Vermisstenfälle aufzuklären, befindet sich Anita plötzlich in einem Raum voller nervöser Gestaltwandler und kann lediglich auf Bücherwissen zurückgreifen. Ihr Abschluss in übernatürlicher Biologie hilft ihr nicht, sich innerhalb ihrer Dynamik zurechtzufinden und sich in dem Dickicht aus Dominanz und Unterwerfung zu behaupten. Richard hätte sie vorbereiten müssen, weil er wusste, dass hinter den Kulissen der Wergeschöpfe die gleichen Schweinereien laufen, die bei den Vampiren Gang und Gäbe sind. Leider ist Richard zu diesem Zeitpunkt noch ein naiver Träumer, der bis zur Selbsttäuschung an das Gute in allen glauben möchte. Die Handlung von „The Lunatic Cafe“ ist der eindeutige Beweis, dass man nicht tot sein muss, um sich als Monster zu qualifizieren. Man muss nicht einmal ein Raubtier sein.

„The Lunatic Cafe“ wird nie auf das Treppchen meiner liebsten „Anita Blake“ – Bände klettern. Obwohl ich erkenne, welchen Wert er für die übergeordnete Geschichte hat und ich die intensive Vorstellung der Gestaltwandler-Gemeinschaft schätze, gefällt es mir einerseits überhaupt nicht, wie Anita sich darin verhält und andererseits fand ich die Handlung rund um die verschwundenen Lykanthropen unnötig kompliziert. Laurell K. Hamilton löst die Vermisstenfälle von zwei, will man genau sein, sogar drei Seiten auf – meiner Meinung nach hätte ein Ansatz vollkommen ausgereicht. Dieser vierte Band ist deshalb weniger rund als die Vorgänger und ich empfinde Anitas Verwandlung in eine verkrampfte, steife Version ihrer selbst als zu abrupt. Ihre Beziehung zu Richard entwickelt sich in mörderischem Tempo und widerspricht somit allem, was ich bisher über Anita weiß. Es passt nicht zu ihr, plötzlich im Leben einer anderen Person verschwinden zu wollen. Sie ist ihr Privatleben betreffend keine impulsive Frau. Ich bezweifle, dass ein einziger heißer Kerl das ändern kann und bin daher nicht völlig von „The Lunatic Cafe“ überzeugt. Ich wünsche Anita alles Glück der Welt – aber die Vorstellung einer totenerweckenden, vernarbten, blutbesudelten, waffenschwingenden, vampirpfählenden Ehefrau und Mutter ist für mich einfach nicht realistisch.

Source: wortmagieblog.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/laurell-k-hamilton-the-lunatic-cafe