logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: vampires
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-09-23 23:29
Carpe Jugulum - Terry Pratchett
Carpe Jugulum - Terry Pratchett

I've only read this one once before, and that ten years ago, so I didn't remember much, and didn't remember the Mac Mac Feeble were in it. And Greebo. Plus the whole Omnian question, and the christening. A delight, but by no means a simple one. Is there another writer who makes me feel so kindly toward other people? Dickens, Austen, Vonnegut all appeal to the same part of my brain, but none of them puts me in such charity with humanity, although Christmas Carol comes a close second.

Personal copy

review 2017-09-23 13:48
Paganini and a Vampire
The Vampire's Protector - Michele Hauf

The ending felt too slight.  While there were some good scenes I had to read the last few chapters a few times to get what had happened and really to realise that it was all over.  I wanted more and could see that there was potential for a broader and possibly better story hidden under the story told. It also didn't really feel like it was set in Europe and particularly in France.

Summer Santiago is a vampire who hunts artefacts.  She's sent to retrieve a violin that is reputedly Paganini's and when she finds it somehow it plays.  Next she discovers that this has awoken from the grave Paganini (I hope without the Syphilis and other problems) who is fairly chill about his new world (there are occasional moments but overall he's a little less stressed than I'd expect a displaced in time type to be).

The romance worked for me the two of them were good as a couple but there were moments where I was unsatisfied.

I do love the cover though.

Could be used for Vampires, supernatural, demons, terrifying women, genre: horror and I'm sure a few others but I'm going to use it for Vampires.

review 2017-09-23 07:25
Eternal Darkness by Tom Deady
Eternal Darkness - Tom Deady,Pete Kahle,Richard Chizmar

Picked this one up after really enjoying the author's book, "Haven". I liked this one even better.

Another coming of age story, but this time with vampires. The ending left room for a sequel, which I hope will follow.
4.5 stars rounded up to 5.

review 2017-09-18 17:28
Halloween Bingo Update 4: Marked in Flesh
Marked In Flesh - Anne Bishop

Marked in Flesh, like the rest of the books in this series, has plentiful supernatural characters, but several of the most important are werewolves.

And that's the square I'm using it for.  (Would also qualify for Supernatural, Vampires, or Monsters.)

Called and Read:

Cozy Mystery

review 2017-09-15 23:43
Halloween Bingo Update 3: Murder of Crows
Murder of Crows - Anne Bishop

I really wanted to read this series, and unfortunately it seems my library has roughly every other book in a format I can use.  So I started with the second book, Murder of Crows, but I don't think I had too much trouble figuring out what was going on.

Back in the winter, in Written in Red, Meg Corbyn (alias cs759) fled the compound where she, along with many other girls, was held captive, and the man known as the Controller, who ran it.  Meg fled on a wild course evading her pursuers, and ended up in the city of Lakehaven, and took the only job she could find - Human Liaison at the city's diplomatic Courtyard.  (Humans are not the dominant predators of this universe's Earth; the terra indigenes are.  Our folklore refers to some of them as vampires and werewolves.  Some of them are much scarier.)

As it turned out, this was the best thing she could have done.  For Meg was no normal human - she was a cassandra sangue - a blood prophet.  And the terra indigenes were the only ones who might be able to keep her safe.

I read this for Supernatural, but it would also qualify for Monsters, Vampires, or Werewolves.

Called and Read: