logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: vlogger
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-30 17:32
Queen of Shadows - Sarah J. Maas

Never have I been through such an emotional ride, the last part of this book really had me wanting to shout and jump up and down. This book was made up of three stories, the rescue attempt of Aedion, the final at last moment of the confrontation with the King of Assassins and then the showdown at the castle with the King and Dorian.

I've said it a lot, reading the novellas will give you so much background to Celaena and what's she's been through. It's been hinted at a lot but never really talked about, in this book and the last it's much more heavily mentioned, so if you haven't read already do it now.

As well as feeling like a book of three parts, character ARC wise it felt like a duology, at first it felt like characters like Celaena, or Aelin as she's now become her true self, Manon and Chaol are all taking a backward step in how I thought their journey would progress. But it does change and a lot and I enjoyed the outcome.

The scope of these books has changed dramatically and it really feels like a real fantasy book, especially with so many characters and plots linking and coming together. So far this series hasn't let me down emotionally, its structure got a little iffy in the last book and at times it feels like Celaena/Aelin is always taking a backwards step in terms of general bratty behaviour and attitude. But one thing is certain, it never fails to redeem itself by the end.

review 2019-09-23 17:56
The Wicked Deep - Shea Ernshaw

“Love is an enchantress—devious and wild. It sneaks up behind you, soft and gentle and quiet, just before it slits your throat.”

While this story didn't have anything in the way of twists and turns the author created a magical realness to the town. This book isn't your traditional witchy 'magic' book, there is an element where a natural magic exists, were there is clearly something in the town of Sparrow.

So the premise, 200yrs ago the townsfolk murdered and drowned three sisters for being witches...cut to the present day the Swan sisters come back every year to inhabit young girls so they can take their revenge by luring boys to the water. The book takes place in the lead up to Swan season, we see how the locals and teenagers prepare before their small town becomes a tourist trap and the inevitable happens.

We follow Penny as she tries to endure another year of suspicion and death, and that's what worked so well for this story, every girl is a suspect and the local teens are willing to take things into their own hands. You so much as look at a boy in the wrong way and you're guilty.

The thing I loved most about this book is the way the story is told, between past and present. From when the sisters are drowned, when they arrive and whilst living under the jealous and watchful eyes of the locals.

Whilst it may not blow your socks off it's a good read, great for autumn or spring which is weird considering the story takes place during summer.

review 2019-09-16 17:26
Heir of Fire - Sarah J. Maas

In short, I thoroughly enjoyed this book however my biggest obstacle once again was Celaena. I feel like her attitude and behaviour came across once again as childish and I found myself sat there once again thinking when are you going to grow up?? She has a job to do and answers to get and that's only going to happen if she plays the game, something I would have thought by now she'd be good at.

Structurally this book was a little odd, I love the multiple view points but what I found odd was that for most of the first half Celaena is hardly present then reappears more in the back half. A massive pro for this book and one of the biggest reasons I loved it so much was the introduction of Manon the Witch. She was utterly wonderful and it feels very much like it's her book for the first half but then kinda disappears towards the end.
It's great to finally see pairings you wouldn't expect and finally get to explore other places and people, like the Fae and the Witches. Getting to have multiple plots from multiple characters is a great driving force for this book as you're trying to piece together what the King is really doing, made so much more frustrating as you never get a chapter from his perspective.

As always I wasn't let down by the end, and was sat there experiencing so many emotions as I try to get my head round what the hell actually went down.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-04-22 12:17
Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas

“You could rattle the stars," she whispered. "You could do anything, if only you dared. And deep down, you know it, too. That’s what scares you most.”

This book was defiantly worth the wait, not wanting to get caught up in the hype and wanting to read the series as a whole I've waited since 2012 to finally read this!! I loved everything about it, the pacing and how it all built to the climax with all the threads coming together at the right time.

This book has laid the groundwork amazingly for the series to come, the main plot of Celaena fighting to become the kings champion to win her freedom and the more fantasy Fae element.

“Libraries were full of ideas—perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.”

After thinking on it a while I think I gave this book 4.5 stars because I wanted a slightly different Celaena. After reading the novellas I think I had expected her to spend more time in the mines, so I thought we'd have a more broken character who not only has to heal her mind but her body too. I wanted to see her shed her pampered princess attitude and grow differently.

But all in all this book was amazing, and absolutely worth the wait!! I do kind of regret not reading Maas sooner, but I love that I can just binge read her series now instead of waiting.

Bookstagram | BookTubeGoodreads | Booklikes

review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-05-29 21:34
Hero at the Fall - Alwyn Hamilton

“Once there was a boy from the sea who fell in love with a girl from the desert.
...
But he wondered if a boy from the sea and a girl from the desert could ever survive together. He feared that she might burn him alive or that he might drown her. Until finally he stopped fighting it and set himself on fire for her.”