logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: what-a-fuck-up!
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2019-10-10 05:34
Go the Fuck to Sleep - Ricardo Cortés,Adam Mansbach

So this is not a children book. Not really.

Samuel Jackson did a good job in reading this book for adults. Who has this shared experienced of bed time reading to a child who just refused to go to sleep.

The tone of voice switch from smooth and nice to his normal what's the fuck are you up to tone.

Like it. Going to listen to the next one.

review 2019-10-09 18:09
Go the F*** to Sleep
Go the Fuck to Sleep - Ricardo Cortés,Adam Mansbach
This is definitely not a kid’s book so please don’t leave it lying around so kids can peek inside its pages because the language inside is not for their eyes. I laughed as I read along and at times, I had trouble keeping up with the rhymes that made up this story but that was okay, because I totally understood exactly what the author was trying to get across. Why won’t my child go to sleep?

What I found so funny in this book was the mixed message located in the text that I read it. I liked how the author mixed the sweet, tender and picturesque moments of childhood with the exasperation of an adult. The adult uses some harsh language in the book and his frustration builds as the evening grows longer as the child continues to stay up. Adding to that, I remember all too well, having the same experiences that the author is referring to in this book.

The book begins with sweet cats and their kittens and sheep with their lambs nestled down to slumber with the adult wondering why their child will not sleep in their warm, cozy bed. The adult’s frustration is emphasized with a swear word on that page, which grabs your attention, as that line didn’t follow the previous gentle tone.

The adult does many things in the book to get their child to go to sleep, like many of us have, all the while getting more frustrated as their child prolongs going to bed.

I loved the part where the adult actually nods off as their child runs down the hallway. Who is guilty of this, raise your hand? Then it finally happens, their child has fallen asleep and all is well until, what? Oh no! the nightmare continues…….

It’s a very funny book and I raced through it the first time and then, I read it a couple more times just enjoying it for the moments it took me back in time to when my children where little. There are quite a few swear words but the laughs I had were well worth it. The illustrations were different, they weren’t what I expected. They definitely didn’t take-away from the text. A few individuals I know people have heard this book before, as a few famous individuals have read it out-loud on TV and/or on radio. I hadn’t heard it before until now.

show activity (+)
review 2019-09-22 03:21
Audio version re-read
Go the Fuck to Sleep - Ricardo Cortés,Adam Mansbach

Still funny - especially when you watch people realize who is reading it.

Updated Review - And Leia should have read this to her Hot Topic fired son. Still funny.

I finally downloaded the audible version of this book.

Who can be a more perfect reader of this story than Mr. Only-Cool-Jedi-Kilt-Wearing-Drug-Dealer-Cursing-Snake-Shooting-Cop-Best-Actor-In-The-World Jackson?

No one.

But you knew that already, didn't you? Jackson includes a little story at the beginning.

He should have read this to Annie Skywalker!

Merged review:

I mentioned this book last week, and this week one of my students brings it in. I read it, then another student read it aloud.

I don't have kids, but honestly if anything (kid, pet, sibling) won't go to sleep, this book is AWESOME

review 2019-02-25 15:40
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck

I love "do better" books. Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers" changed my life. I live for books that change my perspective! The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*uck by Mark Manson seemed like an obvious choice to read.

This book was a love/hate relationship for me. I can't say I really enjoyed the first half of this book. Advice like "quit your job" isn't exactly the most helpful. Manson explains in his book how quitting his job, sleeping on a couch, and blogging began a new career for him. And while that's great for him, it's not exactly the best advice for everyone. And I'm guaranteed to bet that most normal people can't just quit their jobs.

Most of this book follows Manson's unapologetic life and what worked for him. Instead of being a self-help book, this book really could have been an autobiography. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed listening to his personal stories. But I felt like it wasn't something I could exactly relate to or carry out on my own.

However, the second half of this book is incredible. Manson goes deep in on the culture of being "victim chic" and how it's become a way of making excuses or a cop out. Manson explains so greatly how everyone in this world has scars. Just because you're going through shit doesn't mean no one else is. The last two chapters of this book can suck the air out of the room. Manson finally uses his personal experiences to communicate how YOU can change your life. And it wasn't done in a weird autobiographical way like the beginning.

Overall, it was a good read. Some of the advice is very unrealistic and tailored only to one person's experiences. And some of it is truly perspective changing.

review 2019-01-15 15:44
Self help or self destruction?
Help Me! - Marianne Power
Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway - Susan Jeffers
Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose - Kate Northrup
The Secret - Rhonda Byrne
Fuck It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way - John C. Parkin
Earth Angels - Doreen Virtue
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change - Stephen R. Covey
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment - Eckhart Tolle
Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead - Brené Brown
You Can Heal Your Life - Louise L. Hay

Marianne decides to explore 12 popular self-help books over 12 months at the beginning of one year and discovers that they're not always helpful.

If you're like me you've read a lot of self-help books and occasionally taken a few pieces of advice from them before inertia and time spent doing other things moves you away from the book.  I keep meaning to do a Kondo-esque tidy but it would require more of my energy than I'm willing to devote to it.  I do question if it sparks joy of things I'm putting away and I've removed a few things from my house as I'm asking that question.  (I also remind myself that I deserve better than the things that don't work on my skin or in my life etc.).  I also listen to the excellent By the Book Podcast and often agree with a lot of their points about the ones I've read.

The Books she chooses are: Feel the Fear and do it anyway; Money a love story; The Secret; F**k it: the ultimate spiritual way; Angels with Doreen Virtue; 7 Habits of Highly effective people; Power of Now; Get the Guy; Daring Greatly and You can heal your life.  She strugles with depression and becoming a bit of a self-centred ass for a while and all the time her very Irish mammy trys to steer her on a good path.

Like me she finds things that resonate in books and sometimes she obsesses a bit and I couldn't abandon my life for a year like she did to look inward but by the end she's less broken, mostly by connecting with the people who are real in her life.