logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: what-should-i-read
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-19 04:03
The Lawrence Browne Affair (The Turner Series #2) (Audiobook)
The Lawrence Browne Affair - Cat Sebastian

Story: 4

Narration: 5

Overall: 4.5

This was even better than the first. I loved Lawrence, and Georgie is surprisingly more likable than I found him in the first book. Not that I found him unlikable. He was just sort of there.

So what happens when a career conman has to hide away from his old gang and is sent off to a remote country estate that's depilated from years of neglect and is home of an eccentric, mad earl? Well, you get Belle poking around the Beast's castle, of course. ;) I seriously wouldn't have been surprised if the candlesticks started talking to Georgie in that scene. :D

This is the farthest thing from Beauty & the Beast though. Radner suffers what we today would call social anxiety, something I'm very familiar with. Georgie had an unprecedented whim to let a mark off the hook and actually do something nice for a change, and now much find a way to make amends with the grifter boss or face the consequences. He initially considers Radner an easy mark, but of course that all changes.

There's even a bit of a mystery involved with Radner's staff, and why exactly rumors of Radner's implausible mad acts are floating over the countryside. Radner himself is recluse and a scientist, obsessed with trying to get his telegraph machine to work and has little care for anything or anyone else.

I really enjoyed seeing how these two brought out the best in each other and accepted each other for what they were. There were no big misunderstandings or drama llamas here. The story unfolded authentically and while the MCs may learn to let go some of their own self-imposed preconceptions about themselves, they're still the same at their core, and this is what drives the story more than anything else.

Gary Furlong agains does a marvelous job with the story. He brings the characters and scenes to life with his voice, and it's just such a pleasant voice to listen to. I even slowed down the playback speed a little so I could listen to him longer. :D

review 2018-07-18 23:32
4.7 Out Of 5 "Meda Rules" STARS
Crossed (Soul Eater) (Volume 3) by Eliza Crewe (2015-08-13) - Eliza Crewe

~BOOK BLURB~

Crossed

Eliza Crewe

War is here.

Full-scale war has erupted between the Crusaders and demons and even Chi has to admit isn’t going well. Like any sensible rat, Meda’s eager to abandon the sinking ship but, unfortunately, her friends aren't nearly as pragmatic. Instead, Meda’s forced to try to keep them all alive until the dust settles.

As the Crusaders take more and more drastic measures, the tables turn and Meda suddenly finds herself in the role of voice of sanity. No one is more horrified than she is. When old enemies reappear as new allies and old friends become new enemies Meda has to decide—again—whose side she’s really on.

And then the Crusaders decide that Meda should go to Hell. Literally.

Can’t a monster ever catch a break?

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A completely spoiler free review for all three books in the series.  I have a couple of questions for Eliza Crewe…

• The first one…was your proofreader so into this story, that they ended up missing a ton of typos because there were so many?  They kept taking me out of the story…so annoying.  Ugh.  I don't remember the first two books being this badly in need of proofreading.  Anyway, other than getting a tad preachy, this is my only complaint about this book.

• The second question…how come you've never written anything else besides this series???

This series despite those typos is exceptional.  It's not only darkly imaginative, it also has one of the best heroines ever.  Meda's so unapologetically snarky, and she does so without making my eye's roll…which I've found, lately, can be difficult to do.  The rest of the characters round out this ensemble quite nicely.  And the interesting dynamics going on this edition of The Soul Eaters Series made this to be a splendid finale.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.8/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 4.8/5 Cliffhanger~ Nope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ It's not quite as awesome as the first two covers in this series…but it'll do.

Series~ Soul Eaters #3 Overall Rating for the series 5 Stars because it's so worthwhile.

Setting~ Maine and Hell

Source~ I own Kindle eBook

review 2018-07-18 22:03
Boystown 5
Boystown 5: Murder Book - Marshall Thornton

My favorite in the series so far...but man, my heart takes another beating.

review 2018-07-18 21:00
DARKEST HOURS by Mike Thorn
Darkest Hours - Mike Thorn

On top of having this super cool cover, within these pages I discovered some of the best short, dark fiction I've read in a long while! Let's talk about it, shall we?

When I was young and couldn't afford bookstores, I often went to the library. (I still do, actually, because I love them, not because I have to.) I developed a love of horror back then, but our library's collection consisted of about two shelves. Once I read those, I started reading all of their anthologies and collections, in the hopes of finding new authors. In this way, I discovered Richard Matheson, Steve Rasnic Tem, Dennis Etchison, Ray Bradbury and other writers that I still love to this day. DARKEST HOURS brought me back to that time of discovery-horror and dark fiction in all of its glorious, different forms. Reading this collection made me feel like a kid again.

This volume begins with the story HAIR. I knew right then that this book was going to be a force to be reckoned with. Coming unapologetically out of left field, Thorn hits you with this tale of unstoppable hair and then moves on to something out of right field, just to keep you off balance.

THE AUTEUR It's important to know who you're talking to when you ask for horror recommendations from people. You may find out a little too much about them otherwise, but by then it might be too late. Hair plays a role in this story too. (P.S. Always feel free to ask me for horror recs. You're safe with me. But employees from Verne's Video? Watch out for them!)

CHOO CHOO This story felt like it came out of one of those early collections that I loved so much. With an ending so unexpected that it felt like I got hit by a train, this tale made me laugh out loud with glee.

LONG MAN I never thought anything could compete against the Long Walker in my imagination. (Thank you to Nick Cutter's Little Heaven for that.) But now, now we have Long Man. He's even scarier-trust me on this.

ECONOMY THESE DAYS Here again is another story, completely different, completely unlike any other story here. How much physical abuse would you be willing to take to pay your bills? What would that abusive job look like? Of what would a promotion consist? This tale proposes answers to all of those things and oddly, I don't think it's that far out of the realm of possibility.

SABBATICAL If I hadn't felt the spirit of Stephen King in this story, the main character's names of Thad and Gage would've put me in mind of him anyway. I cannotdescribe this story, but it was just so much fun it made me want to do some kind of dance-the dance of my dark fiction people. The dance is delightful and it's only brought on by the best and most twisted of tales. This is one of them.

Stars will collapse and new lights will prick through the sky,

and screaming will not help.

SCHLUTER The most disturbing story I've ever read was written by Michael Blumlein who is a doctor. (Trust me when I say I have read some VERY disturbing stories.) I found it disturbing because in some universe it could happen. SCHLUTER has now taken THE MOST DISTURBING STORY EVER medal. What that medal would look like, I don't want to know, but Mike Thorn owns it. Take this one little harmless sentence for instance:

His mind screamed, but his sutured lips twitched noiselessly.

If that sentence doesn't bother you, okay then, to each his own. However, if that sentence makes you want to run out and buy this book, heed your feelings, man! You won't be disappointed.

There are a few themes that became apparent throughout this book, academia being the one that surprised me the most, but also: hair. I don't remember ever reading a collection where simple hair is used in such a menacing, disgusting, or just mentioned in passing but still in a creepy-as-hell- kind of way.

Okay then-to sum up: disturbing tales? Check! A wide-ranging variety of stories? Check!

Extremely well written? Check! It almost seems like this collection was written with me in mind-it was so perfect for me that I don't even know what else to say. Well, other than this: I think Mike Thorn is an author to watch. I think he's going to do great things in the world of horror and dark fiction, and I for one, will be there to watch it. Will you?

My highest recommendation. Period. Get a copy here: DARKEST HOURS

*I was provided an e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*

review 2018-07-18 19:51
Vanilla Clouds
Vanilla Clouds - Roe Horvat

This book is one of those books that hits home.  And not so much for the romantic aspects but from the connection that is made through words alone.  Only in recent history have people been able to connect with others via the internet…through on line chats, websites, dating apps, etc.  It is mind blowing honestly.  And yet we have all managed to make close friends this way.  And while some don’t turn out the way we ever intended the majority of the people we meet are true.

This is one of those stories.

The connection made on line and then the desire to meet in person…the uncertainty, the fear, the doubts.  All the feelings in this book felt real, felt genuine.  Mainly because they are all feelings I have had.  While I have not fallen in love with someone on line, I have still experienced all of these moments.  And when the communication stops for a period of time and the internal doubt lands to the point you begin to worry that you screwed up…that you said something that may have ruined things…they are real.

This is one of those stories.

We all want something more.

13Magnific: I miss you, Michał. How come I miss you when we’ve never been together? I want more than this. Please.

We all want happiness and we all fear our actions will damage our most precious relationships.

This is one of those stories.

And yes, there is chocolate and there is love and there is chocolate.  There is chocolate.  My heart was full.

**Highly Recommended**