logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: what-should-i-read
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-12-18 02:33
Looks like a solid four-star series for now
Despicable Deadpool (2017-) #290 - Gerry Duggan,David López,Scott Koblish

Still not quite as good as the pervious series, but it's gotten to be a solid four stars for the two last issues I read, so if it settles into a four star series?   I'll be happy with that!

Cable and Deadpool have to figure out how to get Cable's heart to Stryfe, and now they realize that Stryfe is cloning people.  Cable's clone is cloning people.   No, strike that, Cable's evil clone is cloning people.

This is going to get really ugly really soon.   And I can't wait to see just how ugly it gets, and just ugly the solution is - and it's going to be ugly.   It's already gotten ugly, and no doubt will get far, far worse before it gets better.

review 2017-12-18 02:18
Liking this more
Despicable Deadpool (2017-) #289 - Gerry Duggan,David López,Scott Koblish

I like this more and more with each issue.  So I think one was just a lot of set-up, including the darker tone for the darker series.   It just swung way darker to set up, and then got slightly lighter.

The wackiness really kicked in with radioactive time-traveling, vampire dinosaurs.   Yeah.   It got super weird.   And I laughed so much!

So, it's still lacking the true balance of emotive, and emotional storylines, thus the lack of that fifth star.   But it's also getting a lot funnier, even if it's not my favorite Deadpool storyline.   Still, four stars isn't bad.  I pay for the two-star Royals - although that's done with now - so I don't see myself dropping Deadpool.

review 2017-12-18 02:05
So liked it a little better
Despicable Deadpool (2017-) #288 - Gerry Duggan,David López,Scott Koblish

It got to a little bit of what I liked better about the previous series, without getting it enough to get even a four star rating.

I still think there needs to be a social commentary/emotional aspect to be better, but this wasn't quite as dark, was funnier, and I enjoyed it more than issue one - aka issue 287.   (The legacy numbering is going to get so confusing.)

Anyway, I'm happy to continue with this for now, but I do hope it hits the right balance like it did before.

review 2017-12-18 01:36
We learn some things
Despicable Deadpool (2017-) #287 - Gerry Duggan,David López,Scott Koblish

1. I ship Cable/Deadpool even when they're trying to murder each other through a hospital.

2.  I will ship Belle with anyone.   Belle is the AI in Cable's metal arm.

3. This is darker, more hyper violent, and less social commentary/humor at all.   I didn't laugh out loud once.   And normally I'm like 'yes' to the mindless hyper violence.   But... Deadpool can, and has been, so much more - and I feel like it's a huge blow to disregard those things in the pursuit of mindless violence.

So I'm not sure how I feel about this new series.   It's a different tone, and feels like a step backwards while also feeling very different than early Deadpool in many ways.   So we'll see how much I continue to like this, but I do hope it gets back some of it's heart.

Deadpool is acting like he's heartless again, and that takes a lot of the fun out of this book

review 2017-12-18 00:51
This series is killing me. Killing me.
Champions (2016-) #14 - Humberto Ramos,Mark Waid

I read this crossover out of order, so I knew what was going to happen to Viv and that made this even harder to read.   Oh, Vision!

And why, yes, the next month or two is going to be me moaning and bitching about Viv.   Because Viv.

I love Viv.