logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: whores
Load new posts () and activity
review 2015-02-21 00:00
Memories of My Melancholy Whores
Memories of My Melancholy Whores - Gabriel García Márquez "The year I turned ninety, I wanted to give myself the gift of a night of wild love with an adolescent virgin."

This is the first period of the book. So, from the beginning, we know this novella is about a veeery old man getting involved with a teenager.

Give me a moment to process that.

So that is why some reject this story as misogynistic. I can understand that. But if we are to reject characters so bluntly, then what is the point of reading? One of the perks of appreciating high literature is that it increases empathy, not lessen it.

Whenever we see an old man with a much younger woman, we smell mid-life crisis from kilometres away. With our 90-year old protagonist, it is the same. His desire for a younger woman stems from his insecurities of an (extreme) old age. And this relation stand throughout all the story.

So, are we reproaching the protagonist for using an innocent girl for sexual validation, or are we using his misbehaviour as a lesson about the perks of ageing, of absence of love, of carrying of life without greater sentiment, or even the vulgar problem of sex vs. love?

Forgive me, but I think I can take something good from this.

And the writing style is very flowy, the wording exact; it is the best paced Marquez I ever read.

So I can see why it irritates some, but overall it stands as an excellent piece of work.
review 2015-01-07 00:00
Wizards & Whores
Wizards & Whores - Addison Garr I almost gave up. I thought I knew where it was going, but how wrong could I be? The characters were likeable - even when they were annoying each other. The plot was as ridiculous as you'd expect it to be. In fact I enjoyed it so much I missed my bus stop and had an extra walk!
review 2014-10-08 00:00
Memories Of My Melancholy Whores
Memories Of My Melancholy Whores - Edith Grossman,Gabriel García Márquez This beautifully written and provocatively-titled novella follows a lonely commitment-phobe who, on his 90th birthday, wants a night of mad passion with an adolescent virgin. But instead of the usual heartless, physical sex he has had 514 times in his life, he finally finds real love in the form a young hooker in the midst of a deep sleep.
"I was ignorant of the arts of seduction and had always chosen my brides for a night at random, more for their price than their charms, and we had made love without love, half-dressed most of the time and always in the dark so we could imagine ourselves as better than we were. That night I discovered the improbably pleasure of contemplating the body of a sleeping woman without the urgencies of desire or the obstacles of modesty."
At first glance, this story could easily be seen just as the tale of a dirty old man infatuated with a little girl, but I was taken by the deeper exploration of the emotional and physical effects of aging, the celebration of the innocent and pure, and a man finding love so late in the game and finally being rejuvenated at the terminus of his years. This book would make an interesting companion piece with Walter Mosley's [b:The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey|11012820|The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey|Walter Mosley|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348357930s/11012820.jpg|11572023], with which it shares similar themes.
"“Blood circulated through her veins with the fluidity of a song that branched off into the most hidden areas of her body and returned to her heart, purified by love. Before I left at dawn I drew the lines of her hand on a piece of paper and gave it to Diva Sahibí for a reading so I could know her soul.”"
review 2014-07-11 00:00
Memories of My Melancholy Whores
Memories of My Melancholy Whores - Gabriel García Márquez 3 1/2

It moves well, easy to get through. Garcia Marquez has a smooth writing style. The MC is interesting, if not particularly likeable. But I think Garcia Marquez took the 'while she was sleeping' gimmick too far.
review 2014-03-24 12:37
Reddick... Red-dick... Red Dick???
The Squid Whores of the Fulton Fish Market - James Ward Kirk,Charie D. . La Marr,Stephen Cooney,Mike Jansen

Weird things catch my eye.

So when I saw this I *knew* I had to read it. I mean Squid Whores, no way could I pass it by. That being said, this is not my usual brand of weird. This is off-the-wall, laugh out loud, kind of weird.

This was hilarious. Even if you don't care for the story, the names alone will have you laughing. "Willie Reddick" - go ahead, say it out loud. Say it again, this time space out the syllables.

There are a wide variety of characters. You have the aforementioned Mr. Reddick, he's a cop. And then, you've got Cal Amari, the pimp. A wide variety of squid hookers, and their muscle. Dee Paulson, a lesbian in hiding, cooking channel celebrity. And the disabled white boy in a wheelchair who thinks he's a thug.

This is basically the story of Reddick trying to track down these squid whores who are drugging their customers and then robbing them while they're knocked out.

Even though they are supposed to be the bad guys, so to speak, I found myself not wanting them to be caught. I liked the squid whores and their personalities. The ending was fitting, I suppose, and I definitely wasn't expecting it.

For what it was, I really did enjoy it. It made me laugh and kept me interested. I definitely didn't know what was coming at any point.

The only problem I had was that in my mind, squid are small, so I'm still trying to figure out how a person can have sex with a squid. And, yes, I am that weird person who is actually thinking about this.

*Copy received in exchange for an honest review.

Source: kumikoleilostinabook.blogspot.com/2014/03/review-squid-whores-of-fulton-fish.html