logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: will-shetterly
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-12 11:59

FORMAT:  hardcover

ISBN-13:  9781616205744

__________________________________

Description:

"“Seaweed is ancient and basic, a testament to the tenacious beginnings of life on earth,” writes Susan Hand Shetterly in this elegant, fascinating book. “Why wouldn’t seaweeds be a protean life source for the lives that have evolved since?” On a planet facing environmental change and diminishing natural resources, seaweed is increasingly important as a source of food and as a fundamental part of our global ecosystem.

In Seaweed Chronicles, Shetterly takes readers deep into the world of this essential organism by providing an immersive, often poetic look at life on the rugged shores of her beloved Gulf of Maine, where the growth and harvesting of seaweed is becoming a major industry. While examining the life cycle of seaweed and its place in the environment, she tells the stories of the men and women who farm and harvest it—and who are fighting to protect this critical species against forces both natural and man-made. Ideal for readers of such books as The Hidden Life of Trees and How to Read Water, Seaweed Chronicles is a deeply informative look at a little understood and too often unappreciated part of our habitat."

______________________________________

Seaweed Chronicles explores the harvest of seaweed in the Gulf of Maine.  This book is about relationships - relationships between the local people, large scale commerce, conservationists, seaweed, and all the species that depend on seaweed in one way or another.  Shetterly provides us with the personal stories of individual people who work and live at the shore, about the local ecology, about the past, present and ultimately about the future.  I found the book eloquently written, interesting and informative, but lacking in detail about the biology of seaweed as opposed to seaweed harvesting.  Photographs and a locality map would also have been nice.

review 2018-04-21 18:11
Hidden Figures
Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race - Margot Lee Shetterly

This is going to be a hard book for me to rate. It's very technical and took me almost the whole month to get through. But, the story it told was an important one. I consider myself educated and this was a story I was completely clueless about. Not anymore. Dorothy, Katherine, Mary, and Christine's stories are out there now. Hopefully, more people will read this book and educate themselves. Hopefully, each gets their own biography since there is (I think) much more to learn about them as individuals.

review 2017-12-25 19:15
Review: Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly

I watched the movie back in January and it was great. And then I kept putting off reading the book, even though I earmarked it for the Pop Sugar Challenge prompt. So comes December and I am down to two prompts left and figure now is the time to read it. After finishing, I could have kicked my own butt for waiting so long.

Image result for iceberg book meme

So we have all seen this meme from time to time. Exhibit A to prove this meme true is Hidden Figures. Great if you saw the movie, but the women profiled had much longer careers at NACA/NASA then the movie portrayed and did much more than that one mission. Although my favorite lady in the movie was Katherine Goble Johnson, Dorothy Vaughn won my heart in the book (I thought NASA did her dirty at the end of her career). Shetterly also deftly brings historical context to showcase what these ladies were up against and how they achieved success on their own standards. It was more than Jim Crow; it was the Depression, their own families, WW II, and their colleagues.

I highly recommend this book!

review 2017-11-28 13:09
Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly

Alright, you guys know that I'm basically down for anything aerospace, so it was inevitable that I was going to read this part historical, part biographical overview of coloured women who worked at NACA and later NASA at Langley. And I have to say that it was interesting because I knew next to nothing about the role of the early computers (human computers) that did all the number crunching before electronic computers were used and while a lot of the bugs were being ironed out when they finally were rolling out.

I did go into information overload a few times because I just didn't know that many details about the history of segregation in Virginia and the American South (broad strokes, yes, but a lot of the specific people were unfamiliar, and it seems crazy to literally close all the schools instead of integrating them...sigh). It does help explain some of the things I'd observed in American TV shows over the years without really understanding why things were like that. I also found that the last few chapters seemed less focused and could have been much stronger. It was a case of trying to include too many people, I think.

Oh well. It was still an interesting read and I recommend it. You know, compared to some of the books marketed as "science" that I've read recently, there were far fewer physical descriptions and digressions, and the ones that were there were generally appropriate since this book is part biography.

Related post:

Musings on 16 Festive Tasks Squares

(first part of the book focuses on WWII)

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-10-26 08:16
6 Quotes from Hidden Figures that Show How Gender & Racial Discrimination Are Connected

Originally published at midureads.wordpress.com on October 26, 2017.