logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: witcher
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-16 20:00
Monsters Among Us
The Last Wish : Introducing the Witcher - Andrzej Sapkowski,Danusia Stok

"The Last Wish" is a collection of stories about Geralt Rivia, the Witcher, whose occupation is to deal with monsters. This is a frame story in which other stories are the memories that the protagonist recalls as he recovers from a nearly fatal wound.

Readers who enjoy dark fantasy, fables, and fairy tales will love this book. The author retells some well-known fairy tales with ingeunity, such as "Beauty and the Beast" , "Sleeping Beauty," "Rapunzel", and "Snow White", and he also offers unique twists on ancient Eastern European legends such as the strigoi and rusalka, jinn, and even the Fair Folk, Fae or Elves. Some stories are pretty scary, and some are fairly humorous. Some have a little of both. All are written with loving care, with emotional depth, and plenty of action scenes.

review 2017-11-30 13:57
really not sure what I read!
The Witcher Chime: A Haunting - Amity Green
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. Jumping straight in, here! Dark, deadly, horror, that confused the hell out of me!! Seriously, this book is weird. It moves, in places, at rocket speed, and I struggled to keep up. In other places, its full of stuff that I saw no relevance to the rest of the story, so it drags. Told mostly through Savannah's point of view, some others do have a say. Probably what kept me going, who might get a say next. I just...did not get it! I think this is one of those books that you will either love or be okay with it, and after I finished it (which was totally touch and go for a while!) I read a few reviews, and it really does seem that way. I did not hate it, nor did I love it, because I found it very hard reading. The subject matter wasn't an issue for me, but I can see that some readers might have problems. Some typos, but not too many, just enough to require a mention but not enough to have put me off. Sorry this review is short, but I really am struggling not to waffle too much and make this book look bad, because its NOT bad, it just did not work for me. 3 stars **same worded review will appear elsewhere**

review 2017-10-25 13:00
The Witcher: Volume 2 - Fox Children
The Witcher: Volume 2 - Fox Children - Paul Tobin,Joe Querio I'm unfamiliar with the book and game this comic is based upon, but the story had something of Solomon Kane by Robert E Howard in it. Interested in having a peak at the novel by Andrzej Sapkowski.
review 2017-10-25 12:55
The Witcher Volume 1
The Witcher Volume 1 - Paul Tobin I'm unfamiliar with the book and game this comic is based upon, but the story had something of Solomon Kane by Robert E Howard in it. Interested in having a peak at the novel by Andrzej Sapkowski.
review 2017-07-19 18:53
The Witcher vol. 1: House of Glass by Paul Tobin
Paul Tobin: The Witcher, Volume 1 : House of Glass (Paperback); 2014 Edition - Joe Querio Paul Tobin

It was fine. Much, much more typical a supernatural story than the Fox Children, with a nice building of suspense, of mystery. But the resolution felt more like modern American fantasy fiction, and left me with an overwhelming sense of 'eh.' And Geralt's stance on love seems INCREDIBLY  out of character, considering his feelings for Yen and even Triss. Which bothered me because, yeah, these were meant for fans of the games, and it was released before the third one, which means that yen hadn't been properly introduced yet. But that shouldn't have made a difference; most fans know the lore, and even if they don't, it's a misrepresentation of the character. I kept waiting for him to break through it and say something about Yennefer, but he remained stalwart and... eh. A fun read, but nothing more than that.