logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: yo-ho-ho-and-a-bottle-of-rum
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-16 23:01
Book Blitz: Wishes in a Bottle by Allie McCormack with Giveaway

Wishes in a Bottle
Allie McCormack

(Wishes & Dreams, #1)

Publication date: January 15th 2019
Genres: Adult, Paranormal, Romance

Centuries ago in plague-struck Italy, Julian DiConti cast a powerful spell in desperation to have the magical power to be able to help his people who were dying in horrific conditions. The spell goes spectacularly awry, leaving Julian enslaved to a Djinn bottle, bound to grant three wishes to each Master of the bottle until the spell can be broken. More than anything, Julian longs for a normal life – for a home, and a family. After six hundred years, however, he has begun to despair of ever being freed from the spell.

Enter Alessandra Taylor, a young woman who has followed her calling to help others, in the face of vociferous disapproval from her family, particularly her controlling father. Working at a shelter for battered women, she’s thrilled to meet the reclusive Julian DiConti, whose collection of garments from third world countries has provided funding for shelters across the country. When Julian turns out to be a Djinn from the old bottle she found in her attic, she hears his story and empathizes with his despair. Although she’s willing to free him, he can’t tell her how. As time goes by, their initial attraction blossoms into a love that both realize is doomed. Once she has made her third wish, the magic of the bottle will whisk Julian away and out of her life forever… unless she can somehow figure out how to free him. But one by one, she’s forced to use the precious wishes to help others.

EXCERPT

“Betty!”

Alessandra burst into the supervisor’s office, bursting with excitement. It was her first day back at work after everything that had happened. Betty looked up from her computer monitor, peering at Alessandra over the top of her reading glasses.

“Welcome back. What’s got you in such a tweak?”

“You’ll never guess who I’ve met.” Alessandra came to perch on the corner of Betty’s desk, nudging a stack of official-looking papers aside with her hip, anticipating Betty’s response.

“Whom,” Betty corrected automatically, taking her glasses off and leaning forward, slender brows raised over grey-blue eyes sparkling with interest. “Don’t keep me in suspense. Tell me.”

Alessandra leaned forward. “Julian,” she spoke the name slowly, enunciating each syllable, “DiConti.”

She enjoyed seeing Betty’s eyes widen, hearing her audible gasp.

“No!”

Alessandra just smiled and nodded.

“Oh my God, Alessandra. How did you meet him? Where? Is he here, in New York?”

“Yes, he’s here. In fact, it turns out he lives here, in the city.”

Alessandra paused for effect, grinning at the growing anticipation on her boss’ face. A thought struck her, and she pondered. Julian’s face arose in her mind’s eye, the clear pleasure on his face when he’d learned that she worked at one of the shelters that had received donations from the fund he’d set up. He would never ask, she thought, to visit the shelter to see for himself. He’d be well aware of the security and anonymity they required. But she would bet her bottom dollar he would love to actually see for himself the difference his Foundation had made for some.

“I wonder,” she said slowly. “I wonder if we might invite him to visit, and see what improvements his donations have made possible.”

“Yes!” Betty shot out of her chair. “Alessandra, this could be wonderful for us.”

“I’ve told him a bit about what we’ve been able to do with the funds we’ve gotten from Uncommon Threads. It turns out that he’s never seen a safe house, and has only the most basic knowledge of what we do here. He told me that he’d never met anyone who’d benefited directly from his Foundation, not here in the States, I mean. I think he’d very much like to see the place, what we’ve been able to do with the extra funding.”

Betty sank back into her chair, staring at Alessandra.

“I can’t believe it. You have met Julian DiConti. You’ve actually spoken to him. Do you know he has only appeared in public once? Once! And that was at the opening of his Uncommon Threads exhibit last year. He’d never been seen before then, has never been seen since. He travels a lot, the papers say,”

Betty seemed to be still lost in amazement. She lowered her voice, leaning forward conspiratorially, “Do you know, no one has ever been able to get a picture of him? He’s never been in the paper or in a magazine, not on the Internet… nothing! Even the paparazzi can’t seem to snap a shot of him.”

Alessandra tucked that away in the back of her mind to ponder. She’d ask Julian about it later. It seemed impossible that journalists, as persistent as they were annoying, would not have gotten some shots of him. A person as wealthy and reclusive as Julian DiConti would draw paparazzi attention like bees to honey. Maybe it was something to do with the Djinn magic. Certainly one could not live for so many hundreds of years and leave a record, something by which one could be recognized, especially now with photography. How embarrassing to have a photograph of one resurface half a century later and you haven’t changed by a whisker.

Betty’s mind was already darting ahead.

“We can invite the Board of Directors, and maybe some of the…”

“No, absolutely not,” Alessandra interrupted hastily. She didn’t have to ask Julian to know what his feelings about that would be. “He wouldn’t like that at all. He’s a very private person. Really, Betty. I think he’d appreciate seeing the positive results of his efforts, to see for himself the difference that is being made. He wouldn’t want publicity, or any grand fuss made, and you know it would be bound to get out, if we told the Board. And, too, you know,” she pressed on, “the residents here wouldn’t like it, either. It would make them uncomfortable. Just being here is hard enough for most of them.”

“Yes,” Betty admitted. “But, at the same time… Mr. DiConti is such a huge contributor. More than half a million dollars, just to us! It seems almost rude not to do everything we can to welcome him.

“Bring out the red carpet and brass band?” Alessandra suggested with a laugh. “Betty, I assure you he would neither expect that, nor want it.”

Betty pursed her lips, thinking this over. “You’re sure?”

“I am.” Alessandra made her answer as firm and authoritative as she could. “I’m very sure, Betty. And I was thinking, you know. We might ask some of the women if they would be willing to talk with him, tell him their stories. He knows the stories of the women he has helped in India, why shouldn’t he hear the stories of the women here? We can let the residents know exactly when he would be here, let them choose to come out to meet him, or not.”

“He’s worth millions, you know. Billions.” Betty’s eyes held a dreamy, far-away expression. “Mostly inherited, but he’s made a pile on his own. That antique shop has been around forever. There was an article on him in People magazine when he first opened Uncommon Threads, and then when it did so well and he sent the collection on tour across America. There was an article on Whimsies, too, in that artsy magazine from the Village. No one really knows much about Julian himself, though.”

“Except that he’s worth a lot of money.” Alessandra laughed, but inside she cringed. Billionaire? Of course, six hundred years was plenty of time for financial planning, but still… It was almost impossible to comprehend. Billions of dollars? And he was living in a little glass bottle on her dresser!

It would have been funny, if it weren’t so sad. Alessandra’s heart ached for Julian. If only there were something she could do for him, some way that she could release him from the spell so that he could really live, could have a real life. She would gladly give all three of her wishes… well, the two she had left… but she would have given all of them to free him.

That spell seemed more like a curse to her. Julian was so desperately unhappy. He never said so, but she could see it in his dark azure eyes, the brooding sadness that never quite left, that lurked behind the charming smile. So many times she had caught the quiet lapses, when he retreated inside himself when he thought she was unaware. It seemed an awful punishment, no matter what he had done. She just wished she could find a way to help him.

Author Bio:
A career medical transcriptionist, Allie McCormack is now writing from home full-time. Allie has traveled quite a bit and lived many places all over the U.S., and also a year in Cairo, Egypt as an exchange student, and a year in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia under contract to a hospital there, plus a short stint with NATO while she was in the Army. As a single mom, she raised a wonderful daughter who's recently married and there are plans afoot for grandchildren. A disabled veteran, Allie now lives in the beautiful Sorona Desert in southern Arizona with her two rescue cats and writes full-time.

Allie says: "A writer is who and what I am... a romance writer. I write what I know, and what I know is romance. Dozens of story lines and literally hundreds of characters live and breathe within the not-so-narrow confines of my imagination, and it is my joy and privilege to bring them to life, to share them with others by writing their stories."

XBTBanner1

review 2018-09-24 08:10
Release Boost w/Review - Spin The Bottle

Spin the Bottle by Sara Wylde is available NOW!

“Smart and sexy NA contemporary—like the Goblin King if he starred in a modern day Cruel Intentions. I loved this story!” - USAT Bestselling Author, Virginia Nelson

Amazon → https://amzn.to/2MuENP6

iBooks → https://apple.co/2MXIvxw

B&N(Nook) → http://bit.ly/2BlrVX8

Kobo → http://bit.ly/2Mw25nQ

Jax

I’m a virgin, but I don’t want to be. I just want to get it over with, so I made a list. I held interviews. (I know, I’m a total Type A.) The winner is Sebastian Rathbone. Grade A Beefcake who plays defense for the Grizzlies’ Rugby team. Manwhore extraordinaire. So basically, a professional.

The problem? My best friend, Matt. For some reason, he wanted me to pick him. I’d never choose him because then I’d fall in love and I remember the hell that was middle school. Now that he’s grown into his head and feet, and he is by definition also Grade A Beefcake, there’s even less chance he’d ever feel more than friendship for me. Why put myself through that? I thought I’d locked all of that away until a game of Spin the Bottle makes me doubt everything. Especially the lie I’ve been telling myself about not being in love with my best friend.

Matt

Sebastian Rathbone? Dude. No way. He’s not a bad guy, but he’s not the guy for Jax. If anyone knows the guy for Jax, that’s me. It hurts I wasn’t even consulted. Actually, what bothers me the most is that she didn’t ask me to be the one. To punch her V-Card, I mean. I’m pretty good at what I do, or so I’ve been told. It should be a good memory. Something special. And lemme tell you, Rathboner isn’t going to make it special for anyone. I don’t like it that there’s this part of her she’s going to give to someone else, but I guess I have to get right with it. I’m the best friend. Not the lover. Except when faced with losing her, I’ll have to take a spin on chance just one more time.

ADD TO YOUR TBR → http://bit.ly/2MpE7KF

Spin the Bottle (Fast Times at Ridgemont Hall Book 2)Spin the Bottle by Sara Wylde
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is book #2, in the Fast Times At Ridgemont Hall series. This book can be read as a standalone novel. For reader understanding of the series and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading in order.

Jax and Matt have been best friends. They are close and tell one another everything. When she tells him she is ready to lose her V card, he loses it. Confesses to her she should choose him. She never thought this was an option and just had not considered this.

Matt is frustrated that Jax has a plan to be intimate with another man. He has been lusting over his best friend lately and feels they need to talk about the options. She just is not in the same place. So he has to have a plan......

This is a fun and quirky approach to the best friends become lovers. Each person is quite independent, and must seriously consider if this is a move they want to make. The characters have good banter, and the book goes at a good pace. If you need to feel good and get a smile, this is the right pick me up for you.

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

Start the series today with Truth or Dare

Amazon → https://amzn.to/2Ok0RKk

iBooks → http://bit.ly/2v7NAvI

B&N(Nook) → http://bit.ly/2v7NAvI

Kobo → http://bit.ly/2NJBJLZ

Google Play → http://bit.ly/2NJo6fJ

About the Author:

Sara Wylde is the crackfic! contemporary pen name for PNR/UF author Saranna DeWylde. She rather imagines that all the pen names live in the same dorm in her head and frequently have discussions that look and sound something like an episode of Herman's Head.

Connect with Sara:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theoriginalsarawylde/

Newsletter: http://bit.ly/2LvNeJx

Amazon: https://amzn.to/2JT3eAa

review 2018-09-18 07:06
Chance
Spin the Bottle - Sara Wylde

This is book #2, in the Fast Times At Ridgemont Hall series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader understanding of the series and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading in order.

Jax and Matt have been best friends.  They are close and tell one another everything.  When she tells him she is ready to lose her V card, he loses it.  Confesses to her she should choose him.  She never thought this was an option and just had not considered this.

Matt is frustrated that Jax has a plan to be intimate with another man.  He has been lusting over his best friend lately and feels they need to talk about the options.  She just is not in the same place.  So he has to have a plan......

This is a fun and quirky approach to the best friends become lovers.  Each person is quite independent, and must seriously consider if this is a move they want to make.  The characters have good banter, and the book goes at a good pace.  If you need to feel good and get a smile, this is the right pick me up for you.  I give this story a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review only.

review 2018-09-15 05:42
Spin the Bottle (Fast Times at Ridgemont Hall Book 2) by Sara Wylde
Spin the Bottle - Sara Wylde

Spin the Bottle explores a time when complicated seemed simple and responsibilities were as far off as the horizon.  Wylde journeys back to a time of teen angst and young love. Matt and Jax are learning how to navigate emotional entanglements, as they blossom from youth to adulthood. At stake is a friendship neither wants to live without and feelings that each find it hard to explore.  It's a nostalgic ride into the past to find a chance at a future. A sweet coming of age tale that banks everything on reaching the heart.

review 2017-10-02 15:45
The Bottle Stopper (The Paper Duchess #1)
The Bottle Stopper (The Paper Duchess Book 1) - Angeline Trevena

An excellent story and a creative world dreamed up by author Trevena. The reader can't help but empathize with the main character, Maeve, and her dire circumstances dealing with her evil Uncle Lou. Her tribulations are many, but so is her quick thinking. Maeve takes the cruelest acts against her and tries in her way to make them right. Revenge, but in a unique and twisted way. The descriptions of the people she meets, her friend, and the places she visits are deeply cultivated within the rich world that the author ables us to see and feel. The stairs leading up to a better place may not be the stairway to heaven after all. The winding plot gets thicker, as more revelations push Maeve into drastic situations requiring extreme measures. There is a lot of bad happening in this dystopian world, not only for Maeve. Still, there is hope, and the twist, in the end, will give hope. It also leads well into the next story. You'll want to pick up the next in the series. Well written and provoking book, I recommend you read the series.