logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: young-adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-13 23:57
The Scorch Trials by James Dashner
The Scorch Trials - James Dashner

I have mixed feelings about this book. Yes, it was so good, I had to read one chapter after another, but I'm also really confused. I'm not sure I liked it. Does it make any sense? How do I rate it?

I've been thinking about it. I liked the excitement and new characters. The story was well paced and the setting just as spooky or even more than in the first book. But still, I'm confused, and I don't like it - the confusion, and the fact I have to wait a few months until the third book is being translated into Estonian. Because I started it in my mother tongue, I'm going to finish the series in my mother tongue as well.
I still have my doubts but here and now 4 stars. You can be sure that five minutes from now it would be 3 stars. I am confused :(

review 2018-10-11 16:51
great for LGBT and Young Adult fans
Courting Light - A. Zukowski
Independent reviewer for Archaeolibrarian, I was gifted my copy of this book. Josie volunteers to help at a summer camp for disabled children. But it's the camp leader, Sam, who draws Josie like a moth to a flame. Something must have piqued my interest with this one because it came with a young adult tag and I said yes, I would read it. And I did like! Not love but I liked it. Josie, by her own admission, only at camp to have something else on her CV other than school. Paired with Lucian, an autistic teenager, she learns a lot about herself and her life; and that of those around her. The draw to Sam, the camp leader, is instant and powerful, and Sam fights it a long time before they finally give into each other. At the end of camp, though, Josie is in for a surprise, as were we! And I did like the ending. From what Josie was saying, about what she thought in years to come, I really wasn't sure which way it was gonna go! BUT only Josie has a say and ya'll know what I think about that! AND it IS young adult, very much so. What Josie does say, is well written and well delivered. I quite liked Josie! It's a lovely, easy read, great for young adult fans, and for LGBT fans alike. Just maybe not one for me. 3 good solid stars. **same worded review will appear elsewhere**

review 2018-10-11 03:51
Not a Drop to Drink
Not a Drop to Drink - Mindy McGinnis

Lynn was nine the first time she killed to protect the pond, the sweet smell of water luring the man to be picked off like the barn swallows that dared to swoop in for a drink.

- first sentence

I couldn't wait to see how this one would end. It is the story of a young girl raised in the wilderness by her mother. In this world, water is more than scarce. The only water Lynn and her mother have comes from their pond and they will do anything to defend it. Her mother taught her not to trust anyone and to be entirely self-reliant. But how long can they survive this way?

I enjoyed the wild west feel of this one. I loved Lynn and enjoyed watching her mature and adapt emotionally as the book progressed. Her life is full of struggles and the constant threat of death, but Lynn is strong and she doesn't give up. There was a devastating event towards the end that I totally didn't see coming - it was tough.

Apparently, there is a "companion book",  In a Handful of Dust, that I look forward to reading after Halloween Bingo concludes.

I read this one for the Doomsday square:

review 2018-10-10 18:18
Short story prequel novella to the thrilling ‘This Mortal Coil’; available free for a short time
These Precious Scars - Emily Suvada

This is a fantastic short story prequel to ‘This Mortal Coil’, giving a brief look at the five Zarathustra  children who are being kept by Lachlan Agatta for his painful gentech experiments.

Jun Bei, Cole, Zianna, Anna, and Leoben feel as though, for a moment, that a new life is possible when a visitor from the Cartaxus headquarters, but work in the blackout program doesn’t look good to all of them after seeing a frightful display put on for them.

Within the short novella, we are reminded of the innocence of these kids when Lachlan was doing his work, and get a peek into some of their relationships.

The imagery of the dangerous but beautiful cactus (again, that gorgeous cover art!) is mirrored in Jun Bei/Cat, and is actually pivotal within the short story.

‘This Cruel Design’ has been my most anticipated book of the year, and I’m just starting it now (plus I’m on the blog tour), so this is a great lead-in. Like all of Emily’s work so far, there’s never enough, it’s full of complex imagery within this new world she has built, and I can’t wait to see where her new book takes me.

**You can read this free on Riveted Lit until November 30th!! Click HERE

Source: www.goodreads.com/book/show/42074867-these-precious-scars
review 2018-10-06 13:36
Another series finished that has been languishing on TBR shelf...
Evertrue - Brodi Ashton

~BOOK BLURB~

Evertrue

Brodi Ashton

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that Nikki has rescued Jack, all she wants is to be with him and graduate high school. But Cole tricked Nikki into feeding off him, and she’s begun the process of turning into an Everliving herself... which means she must feed on a Forfeit soon — or die.

Terrified for her survival, Nikki and Jack begin a desperate attempt to reverse the process using any means possible. Even Cole, who they expected to fight them at every turn, has become an unlikely ally — but how long can it last? Nikki needs to feed on Cole to survive, Cole needs Nikki to gain the throne in the Everneath, Jack needs Nikki because she is everything to him — and together, they must travel back to the Underworld to undo Nikki’s fate and make her mortal once more. But Cole isn’t the only one with plans for Nikki: the Queen has not forgotten Nikki’s treachery, and she wants her destroyed for good. Will Nikki be forced to spend eternity in the Underworld, or does she have what it takes to bring down the Everneath once and for all?

In this stunning conclusion to the Everneath trilogy, Brodi Ashton evokes the resiliency of the human spirit and the indomitable power of true love

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I didn't know if I was ever going to read/listen to this final book.  But, hey Halloween Bingo gave me the push to finally get this series off my tbr.  I was initially drawn in by the beautiful covers this series has…especially the first one.  While not my favorite Young Adult series, which is most likely due to the fact that this is more Y(oung) and less A(dult), I still found it moderately good.  Other readers have found this ending to the series unsatisfactory, but I thought it ended just the way it should have.  Plus…Amy Rubinate's voice is always a pleasant voice to listen too.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4/5

Originality~ 3/5

Ending~ 4/5

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ Quite striking…not as much as the first one, though.

Narration~☆4.5☆ for Amy Rubinate