logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: young-adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-04-24 17:07
REMEDIAL MAGIC by JENNA BLACK
Remedial Magic - Jenna Black

Short story

Veronica's job is to help out people that appear to be part of fairytales with whatever violent means she needs. Lots of action for such a short story.

review 2017-04-24 17:03
FIRST FROST by JENNIFER ESTEP
First Frost - Jennifer Estep

Short story

I keep saying that I'm not into young adult books but I need to stop because I keep getting surprised by how good they are. I'm 50+ years old for goodness sake so I shouldn't enjoy reading about high school students but this author has done such a good job that I'll definitely be reading more of this series. 5 out of 5 stars.

review 2017-04-24 11:14
Tales of the Peculiar
Tales of the Peculiar - Andrew Davidson,Ransom Riggs

In much the same spirit as J.K. Rowlings The Tales of Beedle the Bard, this is meant to be a companion book of the fairy tales that peculiars learned as part of their peculiar folklore in the series Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

The book is structured as authentically as possible, from the copyright page to the annotations by the editor/author/compiler of the stories, Millard Nullings, a name that might be familiar to the fans of Miss Peregrine's.

The stories themselves really are morality tales and suitable for non-peculiar children too, no matter what Nullings claims (although i didn't try to read the third one backwards, out loud, so I can't speak as to the authenticity of his dire warnings).  Some of them work better than others, just like most collections of stories, but most of them were good and a couple were great.  A few petered out before they could get started.

My favourites were probably The Splendid Cannibals and the Girl Who Could Tame Nightmares.

The book is beautifully illustrated and it's definitely something I'd read to my nieces when they get a little bit older.

Page count: 160
Dollars banked: $3.00

review 2017-04-22 05:12
Two teenage boys figuring out their identity and their friendship...
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe - Benjamin Alire Sáenz

This is an amazing book that seems to truly understand the minds of teenage boys trying to navigate life. It appeals to both boys and girls who are trying to figure out their identity and their lives. Dante seems to know who he is from the beginning, but Aristotle (Ari) is constantly worrying about the fact that he doesn't know who he is or what he wants.

Some of the students in my class found Ari's angst to be more than a bit annoying, but I really enjoyed this book. I felt for Ari, even though, at times, I didn't really understand why he was so angry. Dante didn't always understand it either. However, I am certain I was just as confused and confusing as a teenager (especially to my mom). And now, I have my own teenage daughter. Her moods are more than a bit unpredictable and confusing; so now I know what my mother felt like.

I think teens, especially those questioning their sexuality, will enjoy this book.

Recommended to:

Grades 9-12, both boys and girls.

review 2017-04-20 20:59
I'm not officially rating this, but if I did, it would only be 1 Star.
The Edge of Everything - Jeff Giles

Book Title:  The Edge of Everything

Author:  Jeff Giles

Series: ???

Genre:  YA, Paranormal Romance

Source:  Kindle eBook (Library)

Overall Rating:  1/5 STARS

Grade=F

My Thoughts

The beginning started out fairly ok, I was liking well enough…and then the paranormal stuff came into play and with that; came the confusion...it was too unbelievable even for paranormal.  Then it just went downhill quickly from that point.  When I realized I wasn't comprehending anything, I knew it was time to DNF, especially since I didn't care.  Also, I don't know what it was exactly, but it seemed like it changed narrative at times, or maybe it was just a typo…I'm not sure.

Will I continue this series? Nope, not even…