logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: young-adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2021-01-06 03:41
Cute
In the Penalty Box - Lynn Rush,Kelly Anne Blount

Willow just wants to work on her skating, what she has left of it.  The career adjusting injury has made her life something she never thought she would see.  Now she has been given a chance for something different. Does she have the guts?

Brodie is attracted to the amazing girl he does not want to like.  It seems mutual, but teenage attraction is never that simple.  When his teammates taunt him into hanging out with the good looking skater, he may get more than he bargained for.

This story was cute and charming, in a teen snarky kind of way.  I am not sure if I liked it at first, but I loved the honesty between the characters.  I was fully vested by the third chapter and I couldn't wait to read the end.  I give this a 3/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review by its publishers and Netgalley.

review 2020-08-10 02:22
The Places We Sleep
The Places We Sleep - Caroline Brooks DuBois Twelve year old Abbey is starting the school year at a new school once again. This time she is in Tennessee and her school is farther from her father's Army base than usual. Abbey has also managed to make a friend in happy and athletic Camille. She might even make friends with the artistic and cool Jiman. Then, September 11, 2001 comes. Abbey wakes up with her first menstrual cycle along with the news that will change her life forever. Once the news hits, Abbey's mother rushes to New York, her sister Rebecca is missing. Abbey is left with her father, her new body and a new world to navigate. As time passes, Abbey's father is deployed, and kids change their opinion about her at school, all the while her body keeps on schedule, slowly marking the months. Uniquely written in narrative verse, The Places We Sleep beautifully captures the thoughts of a preteen experiencing the trauma of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The writing immediately took me back to that day that connected so many of us across the country in fear. Just like Abbey, the day has been cemented in my mind. The verse perfectly captures the raw emotion at the time paralleled with coming of age. Through Abbey's eyes there is a deep look at the grief, depression and confusion that defined the months following the attacks. Between Abbey's Aunt, parents, and classmates there is a wide cross section of representation of how people reacted and were effected by many aspects of 9/11. Abbey shows that while an event may seem defining, the support of friendship and love can help you through. This book was received for free in return for an honest review.
review 2020-07-31 04:02
Tool of War - Paolo Bacigalupi

Audience: Young Adult

Format: Hardcover/owned

The drone circled high above the wreckage of war.

- first sentence

The third book set in the Drowned Cities universe brings us full circle by including characters from both previous books. It was great to see everything connected and to see Nailer back. I enjoyed the book, but Ship Breaker will always be my favorite from this universe. Tool is like the Terminator - he never gives up and almost can't be killed.

review 2020-07-31 01:56
The Black Kids
The Black Kids - Christina Hammonds Reed

Ashley Bennett has lived a luxurious life in an upper class Los Angeles neighborhood.  However, as the school year winds down and a local man, Rodney King is murdered, Ashley is forced to reevaluate how she views herself and her peers. At first, Ashley the Rodney King murder is barely a blip on Ashley's radar, although after the verdict is delivered and the protests and riots begin, Ashley begins to see a difference in the way she and her family are treated.  She is not just any girl at her high school, she is one of the black kids.

The Black Kids is so on point and perfectly written that I want everyone to read this book immediately.  Honest, poignant, and driven, the writing had me hooked from the beginning; it was eerie how the events of the very first chapter seemed to perfectly echo the current events of the USA.  I liked that Ashley's character was not the typical 'black kid' of the time and had to experience the consequences of the Rodney King murder to realize the truth of how her race effects her daily life.  Through Ashley's eyes I experienced the blatant racism and sexism that was as rampant in 1992 as it is now.  The prose also perfectly captured the wonders of being a teen along with the nostalgia of the early 1990's.  Ashley's journey  had great revelations about racism and the weight of representing her race in a white world, as well as understanding of poverty, friendship and growing up.  The consequences of the Rodney King verdict and the subsequent riots were a turning point in Ashley's view of herself and her life, opening up her eyes and my own to see just how long people of color have been vigilantly fighting against systemic racism in the USA and highlighting the cycle of racism, unjust killing, protest and unrest until we put a bandage on the current issue until we forget about what caused the previous issue.  The Black Kids is a must-read for everyone who wants to better understand the world we live in.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2020-07-25 05:52
Book Review : city of heavenly fire Cassandra clare
City of Heavenly Fire - Cassandra Clare

June 29-July 19

Shadowhunters and demons square off for the final showdown in the spellbinding, seductive conclusion to the #1 New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

Darkness has descended on the Shadowhunter world. Chaos and destruction overwhelm the Nephilim as Clary, Jace, Simon, and their friends band together to fight the greatest evil they have ever faced: Clary’s own brother. Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell. Nothing in this world can defeat Sebastian—but if they journey to the realm of demons, they just might have a chance…

Lives will be lost, love sacrificed, and the whole world will change. Who will survive the explosive sixth and final installment of the Mortal Instruments series?

Review: All the feels the end of this series we get more from some new characters Emma and Julian and the whole blackthorn family who are going to be in Lady midnight. Sebastion attacks the institute he changes Julian father into a dark Shadowhunter. They all get into the portal . Jace is learning how to deal with the hevenly fire in his body. Every has to go to Idris and Simon has to stay behind . Jordan is watching over simon as his bodyguard but then simon gets taken . A bunch of werewolves get killed sebastian kills Jordan . Maia was planning on breaking up with Jordan which I kinda guessed was going to happen . Maureen takes simon but Raphael helps him escape and gets him to idris . Where he drinks some spoiled blood and drunkly tells izzy he loves her . Maia becomes head of the werewolves. Brother Zachariah becomes human again .
Simon , alec ,clary ,Izzy and Jace all go to the demon relm

Where you know is definitely time to have sexy times clary and Jace

They finally get to sebastian and they trick him long enough for clary to stab him. For them to leave the demon relm they call on magnus father who wants magnus immortality which means he will die but simon volunteers instead but the demon wants his memories . Simon agrees and clary cries when she goes back. Jace says he officially wants to be a herondale. Magnus helps simon remember a little . Tessa and Clary meet
Loved the ending I cried .

Quotes :

Simon , you're blushing, observed Jace. And you're a vampire and almost never blush, so this better be really juicy . And weird

Herondales." Zachariah's voice was a breath, half laughter, half pain. "I had almost forgotten. No other family does so much for love, or feels so much guilt for it. Don't carry the weight of the world on you, Jace. It's too heavy for even a Herondale to bear.”

WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?" There was a sound of shattering glass, and they both sat up to see Alec glaring at them. He had dropped the empty bottle of wine he had been carrying, and there were bits of sparkly glass all over the cave floor. "WHY CAN'T YOU GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TO DO THESE HORRIBLE THINGS? MY EYES."

"It's a demon realm, Alec," Isabelle said. "There's nowhere for us to go."

"And you said I should look after her-" Simon began, then realized that would not be a productive line of conversation, and shut up.”

Jem: Come in.
Jace: Where's Brother Zachariah?
Jem: I'm right here. Jace Herondale. And once more a Herondale is the object of my deliverance. I should have anticipated.”

Okayyyyy,” Isabelle said in a low voice, “When did Brother Zachariah get hot?”

I did not make a pie,” Alec repeated, gesturing expressively with one hand, “for three reasons. One, because I do not have any pie ingredients. Two, because I don’t actually
know how to make a pie.”
He paused, clearly waiting.
Removing his sword and leaning it against the cave wall, Jace said warily, “And three?”
“Because I am not your bitch,” Alec said, clearly pleased with himself.”