logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: young-adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-18 21:21
Hex Hall (Hex Hall #1) by Rachel Hawkins
Hex Hall - Rachel Hawkins

So, this book had been sitting at the bottom of my TBR for just about forever. I'm rather ashamed to say that I actually received a galley of this way, WAY back when I started blogging and then it just never made it to the top of the list. I even own a paperback copy of this now, and I still ignored it. It wasn't until Hex Hall popped up on my audio book recommendations at the library that I really paid attention. Which is silly! Because I loved the Rebel Belle series by Hawkins. Still, I'm a little glad I waited. The audio was great, and this was just what I needed to listen to at the time. I had a ton of fun!

First off, I can't exactly say that Sophie Mercer's story is light. There are definitely sinister things happening at her school, and terrible fates do definitely befall some of her fellow classmates. However, I think what kept this buoyant was the fact that Sophie is just so easy to fall in love with. She's sweet, sassy, and pretty much the type of teen girl that I'd love to be friends with. Despite her situation, and the funk that it threatens to push her into, she keeps looking for the good. In other words, Sophie was real. Not overly sad, not overly excitable, just a Prodigium who really wanted to fit in and have a good school experience.

Even the "mean girls" in this book weren't over the top, which was nice. I know we all love to hate a good mean girl character, and Sophie's bullies aren't any exception to that rule. However it was nice to see that they also had some substance to them as well. I can safely say, without risk of spoilers, that I finally came to care about these girls in the end. It says a lot that I not only powered through this audio in a matter of days, but that I'm also eagerly waiting for the next book to hit my library app. I need to find out what happens next.

For keeping me smiling, and guessing, this book gets a big four stars from me. I needed something in the YA genre that wasn't full of swoon-worthy, brooding boys and this was just perfect. Highly recommended.

review 2017-08-18 19:15
Strange the Dreamer: DNF at 5 percent
Strange the Dreamer - Laini Taylor

Sorry, not sorry, I just am not going to force myself to read something I am not enjoying.

The purple prose and info dump that I tried to wade through turned me completely off. I can't say much more than that since I didn't waste my time trying to struggle through this read.

I would also say that the flow was just a slog. I did try to skim a couple of chapters and just gave up.

Image result for Not my jam gif

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-08-17 00:12
Book Review : The last stand of the new york institute Cassandra Clare
The Last Stand of the New York Institute - Cassandra Clare,Sarah Rees Brennan,Maureen Johnson

August 4-16

Magnus meets Valentine in battle as the Circle attacks the Downworlders of New York City.

In the time of the Uprising, Valentine’s Circle goes after Downworlders in New York...and the Shadowhunters of the Institute must decide whether to join him, or fight with Magnus and his kind. This is the first time Magnus sees Jocelyn, Luke, and Stephen—but not the last. It is not long before Jocelyn seeks him out

Review : This story was really interesting this is when valentines's circle started out and valentine takes this werewolf family and there was a lot of death that day . Tessa was in this story and Jocelyn comes to magnus with Clary to remove her to see shadowhunter world I really enjoyed this story .

Quotes:
Maryse: I am fighting for a better world for myself and my son.
Magnus: I have no interest in the world you want or in your doubteless repellent brat, I might add.”

I don't remember ordering the bride of an evil maniac," said Magnus. "It was definitely beef and broccoli. What about you, Tessa? Did you order the bride of an evil maniac?”

“You are interfering in my business, warlock."
Magnus spat blood into his face. "You are torturing a child in my city, Shadowhunter. [...] I thought we were playing a game where we said what the other person was and what we were doing." Magnus told him. "Did I get it wrong? Can I guess again? are you breaking your own sacred Laws, asshole?”

“If you don't want them to find you, changing your last name seems a fairly elementary first step. Trust me, I'm an expert. I've watched a lot of spy movies.

Jocelyn and Clary Fray,” said Magnus. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“you realize that by standing as you are, everyone will think we are kissing. And that is terribly embarrassing for me. I have much better taste in men.

“I am," said Tessa. "I am Theresa Gray, daughter of a Greater Demon and Elizabeth Gray, who was born Adele Starkweather, one of your kind. I was the wife of William Herondale, who was the head of the London Institute, and I was the mother of James and Lucie Herondale. Will and I raised our Shadowhunter children to protect by the Laws of the Clave and Covenant, and to keep to the Accords.”

review 2017-08-15 22:25
Meow…Woof, Woof…Bahhhaah…
Gemina (The Illuminae Files) - Jay Kristoff,Amie Kaufman

Book Title:  Gemina

Author:  Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Series:  Illuminae Files

Genre:  YA, Sci-fy,

Setting:  Heimdall Station

Source:  Both the Hardcover (yes an actual book), and a Kindle eBook (Library)

Add to Goodreads

Flow (Writing Style):  4/5

Backdrop (World Building):  4.5/5

Originality:  5+/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Ending:  5/5  Cliffhanger:  …a 'to be continued'

Total:  5/5 STARS ✧A+✧

My Thoughts

This series is the cat's meow and dog's bark and the ram's bahhhaah…all that shit and more…It's not going to be for everyone…but damn, it should be.  I think so, anyway.  The format is crazy, and it (for me) may be part of what makes it so good…that, and the amazing and intricate plot.  Nothing is off limits in this series.

I read this both from a hardcover book (that my daughter bought me for Christmas) and a Kindle eBook that I borrowed from the library at the same time.  I'm so glad that I did it this way.  Because…the eBook is good for low lighting and when I was at work, seriously though, that book is lug…and the actual lug of a book is perfect for those pages with small, teeny tiny pictures/documents and such on them.  I flipped back and forth between the two constantly.  I also used an Audible credit for the Audiobook of Gemina, which I plan to listen to right before Obsidio comes out in March, 2018.

Will I continue this series⇜  Damn Straight!!!

review 2017-08-15 00:08
I See London, I See France by Sarah Mlynowski
I See London, I See France - Sarah Mlynowski

Ugh. This book was a really rough read for me, and I only persevered because I was buddy reading it with a friend. If I hadn't had an outlet to complain, and feel like it wasn't just me feeling that way, I would have given up. I got nothing out of this book other than the fact that these girls should not have been traveling, because clearly they are exactly why people in other countries are annoyed with American tourists.

I really have nothing else to say. Obnoxious characters. Thin watery plot. Horrid travel scenes. Tepid romance. The only thing this did make me want to do was travel to eat food because YUM food.

I'm glad I'm done.