logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: young-adult
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-24 21:03
Zombies, Vampires, Shapeshifters, Conspiracy, and A fight for the people...you could say this has it all.
Gods of Anthem - Logan Keys

Book Title:  The Last City

Author:  Logan Keys

Series:  The Last City #1

Genre:  Dystopian, Zombie, YA

Publisher:  Le Chat Publishing

Setting:  Florida (I think) and Sweden

SourceI received an ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Add to Goodreads

Book Theme Song

(this link will take you to my tumblr post with video)

Heroes by Generdyn Music ft. Zayde Wølf  -- I seriously don't know how I came across this, nor have I ever heard of this Generdyn or Zayde Wolf...but really this goes with the book really well has all the feels for it.  It's very inspiring and quite intriguing.♫

⇝OVERALL RATING⇜

3.8/5 STARS

B

My Thoughts

The Last City formerly known as Gods of Anthem reads like two separate stories.  One is Liza's and the other is Tommy's.  Alternating between the two every so often, not necessarily at chapter breaks.  Which maybe made the story more confusing for me, at least for first 2/3rd of the book.  Although, I did prefer Liza's story over Tommy's because it was a little less complicated.

Oh yeah…there's zombies in this as well…which I'm usually freaked out by them, because they give me nightmares.  These zombies, though, are sorta kept behind the walls so to speak, at least most of the time.  The zombie theme is not overly prevalent, which I did like, because, I didn't have any sleepless nights while reading this.

Ultimately, though, The Last City feels more like a prequel because of it's rather anti-climatic ending.  I felt like the story only became engaging within the last few pages.  I think the series has the potential to be exceptional, I just don't know if the Author can pull it off, at least for me.

Ratings Breakdown

Backdrop (World Building):  3.3/5

Originality:  4/5

Book Cover:  4/5 My Cover is the one that says The Last City

Ending:  3.8/5 Cliffhanger:  Yes, pretty much

Will I continue this series?  I already have the arc of La La Land, and I feel like theirs potential for this to be a great story…so…yeah.

review 2017-06-23 18:47
The Female of the Species (Mindy McGinnis)
The Female of the Species - Mindy McGinnis

Series: N/A

Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (2016)

Genre(s): Mystery, Contemporary Fiction, Young Adult

Me: cool, it's batgirl! Kick-ass, dude!

Also me: damn, insta-love... why? WHYYYY?

Also me: why is everything so freaking rushed?

Also me: yea, well want rushed? I can't connect with the characters.

Also me: I have the notion that I should be weeping at the ending, but I can't make myself care all that much. I did cry in that part about the puppies tho.

So, basically, great idea, but everything was so rushed I had no time to connect to the characters, they had no time to gain depth and the story had no time to take off. Superficially explored themes of rape culture, sexism and pedophilia. I'll say that the author was successful in showing how rape culture is so pervasive and it's just in the little things.

Could have been a really "food-for-thought" kind of book. It just felt confusing and a jumble. Just wasn't for me, I guess.

review 2017-06-23 03:59
Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth
Percy Jackson & the Battle of the Labyrinth - Rick Riordan

In lieu of a proper review (which I just haven’t felt like doing lately), I present to you a Percy Jackson Checklist:

☑ Monsters show up at school; shenanigans ensue.

☑ A quest is given; Percy’s participation is crucial.

☑ Other characters have to school Percy on Greek mythology because apparently he can’t be arsed learning all this stuff his life might depend on him knowing.

☑ Token mentions of ADHD.

☑ Annabeth is conflicted and angsty.

☑ Luke is conflicted and sad/angry (sangry?).

☑ Kronos is six steps ahead of everyone.

I could probably keep going and expand this into a Percy Jackson Bingo Card. But, much like Percy learning Greek mythology, I can’t be arsed.

I wasn’t thrilled with the advent of the love triangle (square . . . ish?) in this book, even though it meant Percy finally got a love interest not related to him. I will not be fooled into thinking that Percy will end up with anyone other than Annabeth, his first cousin once removed. Bleh. I’m still enjoying the series overall, but this kissing cousins thing does dampen my enthusiasm a bit. I should’ve kept reading this series as it came out. You know, before I realized pretty much everyone at Camp Half-Blood is related to each other.

review 2017-06-22 20:17
Meh.
Hunted - Meagan Spooner

I liken this book to roller coaster of the worst kind. One where it takes literal hours to slowly, slowly, inch up to the top of that first hill, only to find out that the drop on the other side is over in 3 or 4 seconds. Gah.

Good things:

* Beauty is actually a badass here. She's strong, capable, and actually kind of easy to follow along with.

* Beast is more intriguing than normal, because he has this whole dual mind thing going on and we actually get to see from his point of view.

Bad things:

* Literally everything else. The romance is boring. The "action" scenes are boring. Beauty spends SO MUCH TIME contemplating things that it's obnoxious, only to turn around at some point and act drastically, leading her to something awful. Like... do you not know what middle ground is woman?

Oh well. I finished it!

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-06-22 01:51
I loved reading this one!
Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo

I was so immersed in the book I didn’t even realize what time it was when I was halfway (about 2 AM in the morning.) Yes it was that good. I loved everything about it.

The plot was fast moving and good - although it had some different elements, it is with the same template of: “Girl finds out she’s got extraordinary powers to make a difference in the world and is sent to a boarding school to enhance those skills”. Although it’s not any different from those types of books out there, the characters and the setting make up for it and provides an exciting read.

It seems like the language is based on Russian words (correct me if I’m wrong here.) With the terminology and setting loosely based on the language. I found this pretty interesting and fun to read, it certainly does provide a particular theme and flavor to the novel which adds to the joy of reading the book.

Character wise, I loved just about everyone in the book. Alina isn’t your typical character. She’s got a wry humor and has a tendency to be hard on herself. I really like her though. She’s not a damsel in distress, she’s a tomboy, but when push comes to shove she can look like a girly girl and enjoy it if she wants to. Her character develops throughout the book and she goes through some real tough times. She’s not whiny about it but she takes it all in almost to the point of admitting self defeat. I actually liked reading this about her. It’s makes her more human.

*****spoilers below you’ve been warned*****

Now who to choose? Mal or the Darkling? I fell for the Darkling. I really did. I loved his mystery and his charm and I wanted to kick myself in the butt for falling for him as hard as Alina did. He just HAD to be the bad one. Well, sometimes we just fall for the bad ones don’t we? ;)

I liked Mal too though. He was everything you wanted in a guy friend about to be boyfriend. He was just as charming but he had the good boy persona on him. I’d have to say, Alina had some good prospects (if only the Darkling didn’t have such a horrible agenda.)

Overall I loved this book and I’m definitely going to grab the second one. Can’t wait to see what happens!