logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: zombie
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-12 18:16
My Life as a White Trash Zombie
My Life as A White Trash Zombie - Diana Rowland, Allison McLemore

Urban Fantasy isn´t my favorite genre, but I really enjoyed listening to this audiobook, narrated by Allison McLemore. What makes this story work is the self-deprecating humour of the main character, especially in the beginning when she isn´t aware of the fact that she is a zombie.

The second half wasn´t as strong as the first one and I could have done without the love-story (which was lame, tbh).

I can´t say I´m over the moon by this novel, but overall this was a fun read.

review 2018-09-25 18:32
Review of "My Life as a White Trash Zombie" (White Trash Zombie, #1) by Diana Rowland
My Life as a White Trash Zombie - Diana Rowland

This reader's personal opinion, ©2018, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by goodreads, Google Play, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

No apocalypse, dystopia, Walking Dead type of zombies here. More along the lines of a werewolf bite creating more werewolves. Our world, our time — and zombies just like us so long as they get plenty of human brains to eat (vague mention of something about the enzymes ). Start turning more into movie-usual shambling disintegrating zombies if starved. Also not as slapstick as titles and covers indicate.

I'd been curious about these for a while seeing what everyone was saying on my book site feeds. Luckily, I got into the main character and enjoyed Angel's viewpoint on everything that was happening to her post-being-a-zombie. She had both a sense of humor and a serious side about everything going on despite a life that screened stereotypical white trash: high school dropout, dysfunctional and abusive home life, drug problems, wring crowd, etc.

I love the story arc and that becoming a zombie meant she thought about and fixed some aspects (well, sort of no drug problems now because don't work on zombies except now she's addicted to brains and safe from abusers with new zombie strength). She did come across way younger than the 21 the book said she was. She didn't ditch everyone she knew, even the ones clearly bad for her.

Overall, a very funny book. Too easy on how drug addiction and abuse handled and the ending a little hokey, but I'm looking forward to the next in series.  I like being in Angel's head and watching her growth

*©2018.  All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have cross-posted on Libib, LibraryThing, and other sites including retailers like kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties or indicate release of copyright.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept reading in hopes would improve.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)

review 2018-09-21 19:22
DOOMSDAY Review: Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry
Patient Zero - Ray Porter,Jonathan Maberry

I listened to this one on audio and I didn't take notes so this will not be a real review, not that my other reviews are real either, ha. I tried reading another Maberry book called Ghost Road Blues (that sad excuse for a review is here) and I did not get along with it, its narrator, nor its male characters but so many love this Joe Ledger character that I figured I'd give the author try. And I'm glad I did.

I love this Joe Ledger person. He is crabby and sarcastic and amusing and one hell of a smart, resourceful guy. Thanks to all of you who pushed him on me :) Now I'm the first to admit that I'm not a fan of all action, all of the time so even though this story is filled with military action, evil maneuverings by evil people, medical terminology and pretty much non-stop zombie action in its latter half, I still enjoyed it a whole bunch. Why? How? Well, Joe Ledger. Author Maberry sets up his character development early on and I was hooked until the very end.

I'm even going to search out the others in this series and I hardly ever do such a thing.

I'm going to use this book for my Doomsday square because if it weren't for Joe Ledger the Doomsday would've certainly occurred in this book (and it may still in the next!)

Bingo Calls:

Supernatural: IN THE MOUTH OF THE DARK

review 2018-09-15 22:57
My Life as a White Trash Zombie ★★★★★
My Life as A White Trash Zombie - Diana Rowland

I’m always happy when I read a book that I thoroughly enjoyed. I’m even happier when it was a book recommended by a friend. I’ve never cared for zombie stories, so I was a little dubious when Mike Finn recommended this one to me for the reading performance as much as for the story itself. But it delivered! The story itself was fun, with a little pathos, a little romance, and a little mystery. But the performance by Allison McLemore pushed it over the five-star threshold for me. The voice she gives the main character is absolutely perfect, and her pacing and emotion are spot on.

Audiobook, via Audible. Highly recommend. I’ll be looking for other books read by McLemore, for sure.

I read this for the 2018 Halloween Bingo square Deadlands: elements of the undead - zombies, wights, vampires and other revenants. It fits the square because, obviously, zombies.

review 2018-09-12 23:22
The Ladybird Book of the Zombie Apocalypse
The Ladybird Book of the Zombie Apocalypse - Joel Morris,Jason Hazeley

Some people say civilisation after a zombie apocalypse will go back to The Stone Age. Nobody tidies up or collects the bins.

The electricity keeps going off.

There are dead bodies piled up in the streets.

It is actually more like the 1970s.

I guess, I'm just not the right audience for this book. Or really any book about zombies.