logo

Boston Bibliophile
Boston Bibliophile rated it 7 years ago
Alexis Hall
Alexis Hall rated it 7 years ago
This is beautiful, terrible and wonderful. The prose is simply breathtaking and, although it's utterly devastating, it's not without hope. Look, it's won a bunch of accolades, there's not much I can say in a paragraph to even touch on its brilliance.
Xdyj's books
Xdyj's books rated it 7 years ago
Tragic & powerful & reminds me a bit of To Kill a Mockingbird.
halfmanhalfbook
halfmanhalfbook rated it 7 years ago
Really could not get on with this one. I didn't find the characters engaging and I didn't always like the writing style. The things that happen to the family are tragic, but it didn't evoke any empathy, just sadness.
Jema reads
Jema reads rated it 7 years ago
I really need to give this one a second chance. I tried read it once but never finished it.
Don't Stop Readin'
Don't Stop Readin' rated it 7 years ago
OH DEAR LORD! What the hell was this?The writing was wayyyyyyyy too typical. I read only 110 pages and dropped it. I had no clue where the story was going. It was so intense that I couldn't even distinguish between characters and story line.This book is a Booker Prize winner and for sure, I'll try t...
msdandimite
msdandimite rated it 7 years ago
Beautifully written but utterly depressing.
Inside of a Dog...
Inside of a Dog... rated it 8 years ago
This is a deeply disturbing, profoundly thought-provoking, excellent book. I honestly don't remember the last time I had so much fun reading something. In many ways it's an ugly book, but Roy's prose is beautiful and the non-linear narrative is expertly woven.
The Girl who Reads
The Girl who Reads rated it 8 years ago
I wish I could like it as much as everyone else did. I think I should read it again.
Need help?