logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: Halloween Bingo 2017: Questions about the spaces
created by: Moonlight Murder
back to group back to club
Reply to post #14 (show post):

Themis - I've been mulling over your question about Coffin Road. I happen to - fortuitously - have read that one, so I'll say at the beginning that it qualifies because the teen character is placed in substantial peril during the course of the book and she is a "POV" character.

To clarify, in order to qualify under "chilling children," the book needs to have at least one individual under the age of 18 who is either imperiled or who is imperiling one or more other characters. Any book that qualifies as YA/MG horror qualifies for sure, and mysteries with a teen sleuth would also qualify as long as they involve actual danger for a main character who is also a "child."

By way of illustration, a book with a child victim wouldn't necessarily be a "chilling children" if all of the characters involved in the action are adults.
Would The Midwich Cuckoos qualify as 'chilling children'? A bunch of telepathic alien teens set on world domination is pretty chilling to me.
Reply to post #16 (show post):

OK, great, thanks for the detailed explanation!

ETA: Sorry for cross-posting, BHBS ...
Another question...

I was going through my shelves and found In Cold Blood, which I bought ages ago and never got round to reading. Would it count as 'terror in a small town'?
Can I ask for clarification on Diverse Authors please? The description mentions 'of color' - but I'm assuming that's not limited to just African American authors? Do Hispanic, Indian, Asian, etc. count as well? Sorry, this could get a bit hair splitting, but it's either ask, or go with MT's suggestion of Tiger Woods' autobiography which, given recent events, he insists qualifies it as a horror story - also, he's trying to make an argument for the "woods on the cover" square too, since his photo is on the jacket. I married a goofball. :)
Reply to post #20 (show post):

Diverse authors is broader than just African American authors. So, yes to Hispanic, Latino (Latina), Indian (from India), Asian, Middle Eastern, African, and Native American.

I am planning on reading Daniel Jose Older, who is Latino.
I missed the question on In Cold Blood. That absolutely fits for "terror in a small town."
Reply to post #17 (show post):

BHBS: Would The Midwich Cuckoos qualify as 'chilling children'? A bunch of telepathic alien teens set on world domination is pretty chilling to me.

A. This book is new to me, but it's definitely horror. As long as the teens play an important role, it sounds like chilling children to me.
Reply to post #20 (show post):

I am planning on either Jeannie Lin's The Lotus Palace, which is a mystery, or Amy Tan's Saving Fish From Drowning, which actually sounds like it might fit magical realism or supernatural. So, while I'm on the subject, has anyone read Saving Fish From Drowning, and could maybe confirm it as magical realism, since I'm not entirely familiar with the concept of the genre? Thanks in advance!
Before I get my heart too set on this book I should probably get clarification - does a jungle count as a forest?
To me a jungle is just a tropical forest.
Reply to post #24 (show post):

Ani-I read "Saving Fish From Drowning" would fit magical realism. My two cents though, the book really wasn't very good.
Reply to post #25 (show post):

Yes.

Origin of Word The word forest eventually came to mean wooded land more generally. The word jungle originates from a Sanskrit word jangala, meaning "forest". Types: Boreal forests, rain forests, tropical forests etc. Jungle is a type of rain forest
Reply to post #26 (show post):

Oh. Well, that's disappointing, though I figured there was a reason why I never got past the first chapter when I tried to read it years ago. Oh, well, I'll give it a try anyway! All else, fails, I pull my DNF trigger and hop on something by Sarah Addison Allen. At least then I can finally put this book behind me--it's been sitting on my shelf forever.

Thanks, OB!
Reply to post #27 (show post):

Thanks. Just making sure. I don't think there is anyone from tropical climates joining, which would make most peoples idea of a forest the temperate forests.
Reply to post #28 (show post):

No worries. I try to warn people up front. I finished that book and still can't tell you what was going on. I should have DNFed it.
Need help?