logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: Halloween Bingo 2017: Questions about the spaces
created by: Moonlight Murder
back to group back to club
This is a stretch but I'm going to throw it out there... I need to read The Handmaid's Tale for my bookclub. Has anyone that's read it know whether it will fit into any of our bingo squares?? :) It's October I don't know why they couldn't pick a more appropriate Halloween one.
Reply to post #257 (show post):

The Terrifying Women square will fit! Atwood is one terrifying author. I love her.
Reply to post #258 (show post):

Awww that would have been awesome but unfortunately I don't have that one. Darn! Would American Horror Story work? I heard the story paints a very terrifying future America?

I wonder even if I don't have Terrifying Woman I could use it for my free square?
Reply to post #259 (show post):

I'm sure free square would work! I can't remember where it is set, it's been a few years since I read it, but it might work, too.
Reply to post #256 (show post):

Ohhh, that's what I was looking for and couldn't find it! Thanks, SusannaG!
Thanks BrokenTune!!
Although Atwood is Canadian, Handmaid's Tale is specifically set around Harvard. American Horror Story FTW.
Yet another question! Lovecraft monsters-would you think they could be consider aliens?

Lovecraft is considered "cosmic horror" as a genre, they're definitely not from earth, though it never was clarified where there are from, exactly.

From Wiki: "As it is known in the mythos, the Outer Gods are ruled by Azathoth, the "Blind Idiot God", who holds court at the center of the universe."
Reply to post #264 (show post):

Hmmm I would say monsters. But I can see Aliens working though I always considered the Lovecraft monsters just straight up monsters that can eat your soul with a glance. They seemed to be here prior to humans in the stories, so would that make them aliens?
I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking! I've already used something else for Monsters. (Which was the INCREDIBLE and huge graphic novel called My Favorite Thing is Monsters.)

I just realized that I didn't have a square that would fit this Lovecraftian book I'm about to finish, so I'm scrambling to see if it will fit a different square.

I understand if I'm out of luck, but I thought it was worth a shot. :)
Reply to post #266 (show post):

Shoot. How about Gothic, supernatural, horror? Those filled?
Reply to post #267 (show post):

Gothic is NOT filled. This is a contemporary novel though, so I don't think it fits that. (The other two are filled.)

It's cool, I'm sure I'll find something that fits Aliens better before the end of the month. Thanks for your help!
Reply to post #268 (show post):

Does it have a Gothic feel to it, tho?
Reply to post #269 (show post):

Much as I would like to say yes so that it counts, it does not. It actually takes place in the future.

I'm sure I'll find something in one of the anthologies I have lined up. Thanks for your help, OB and BT!
Reply to post #270 (show post):

Hmm. Let me know. I feel bad. Just count it towards aliens.
Need help?