logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: Halloween Bingo 2017: Questions about the spaces
created by: Moonlight Reader
back to group back to club
Reply to post #281 (show post):

Maybe House of the Spirits, also the Peter Grant series would be magical realism.
Reply to post #283 (show post):

Magic-esque in real world setting.
Reply to post #284 (show post):

Some yes. Depends on what it is. For example,. Mercy Thompson would fall under it because it's still set in the real world. However some urban fantasy where the entire plot and setting is just made up of magical beings on a foreign planet or something else like that would not be counted as magical realism.
For Amateur Sleuth, is a private investigator considered law enforcement?
I'm looking at Deadly Gamble (Charlie Parker #1).
Reply to post #289 (show post):

I think we said they would have to have no formal sleuthing experience which would include someone who is a private investigator. So I can't count Kinsey Milhone cause she's a private investigator. It have to be a cozy type story or Miss Maple, Poirot, Sherlock Holmes. Don't read that terrible series I read called Beautiful Blue Death. He's an amateur sleuth but awful book.
Reply to post #290 (show post):

Thanks.
I wish there was a way to search these threads.
I've got a couple more in the TBR that I think will work.

LOL on Beautiful Blue Death.
I don't read much mystery so that one shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to post #291 (show post):

It was terrible, don't do that to yourself.
I think I previously said anyone who isn't law enforcement would be amateur - examples were Poirot (who was a Belgian police officer prior to retirement) and Holmes would be amateur - in fact, I used a Holmes for my square. So PI could count as an amateur sleuth.
For "cozy mystery" - Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael mysteries - yea or nay? I tend to think they are, but would like a second opinion.
My unofficial opinion is that yeah, they're totally cozy. :)
Well, you're the resident expert on cozy mysteries!
I'll go with MbD on that. I don't read a lot of cozies.
Would Skitter by Ezekiel Boone be considered a monster book? It's about flesh eating spiders. :)
Reply to post #298 (show post):

First of all, yuck and yes.
Reply to post #298 (show post):

Skitter was a blast! Hope you enjoy it!
Need help?