logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: The Worst and the Best of Halloween Bingo 2017
created by: Linda Hilton
back to group back to club
Best so far: Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz I read for Ghost square. Like the style of the book and how it started the series.

Worst: Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner I read for Cozy Mystery. It is so wrong. I hate the characters and even if they said they are investigating a murder, they are not of much help. In the core of this yucky story is a married woman regretting having 3 children and wanted to have an affair with her ex bf who is investigating the murder with her. It is just an awful book.
Reply to post #15 (show post):

I don't mind the bad ones too much. Horror isn't my thing, so when it comes to the vampires and werewolves and such, my choices are coming mainly from Kindle freebies. And that's always a crap shoot. Plus I wanted to get those out of the way, so to speak, before I got more into the mysteries. I had better choices there, too.
I'm hoping that The Thin Man will be my worst. I'm not sure I have anything that would qualify as "best" yet.

Vampires and werewolves don't have to be horror books. I'm reading The Fifth Elephant for werewolves.
I've only read four books for Halloween Bingo, so there isn't much to choose from yet. However:

Best: The Drops of God Vol. 2

or, only counting stuff that isn't graphic novels: Unseemly Pursuits by K.B. Owen

Worst: Parasite Eve by Hideaki Sena

I really hope I don't read anything worse than Parasite Eve.
Best: The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie

Worst: The Haunting of Blackwood House and The Thin Man
Best book is a tie between If We Were Villains by M. L. Rio and Lover Revealed by J. R. Ward.

Worst book is easily Bleeding Earth by Kaitlin Ward. Hopefully it will remain the worst.
Reply to post #17 (show post):

Wait what???? That's the premise of the book?
Worst: Ghoul by Marc Alexander

I'm updating my best: Either Hag's Trail or Ghoul by Brian Keene.
Aside from one of the books I'm currently reading, and the entire The Thin Man experience, I've actually had a pretty pleasant set of books.

If I had to choose the best, at this point in the game, I might actually pick Nora Robert's Blue Dahlia, with The Tokyo Zodiac Murders by Soji Shimada coming in close second.

Worst would definitely be The Thin Man, but it really amused me more than enraged or frustrated me.

However, I'm feeling a proper worst coming on in the book I'm reading right now, Dear Maggie by Brenda Novak, which is a disappointment, because I don't think I've ever felt this frustrated with a Brenda Novak book. Truth is, it doesn't even feel like she tried very hard with this book.
Reply to post #23 (show post):

Yes. I don't read romance for this reason. The premise of women being desperate and looking for sex with handsome men circulating like sharks offering their dicks disgusted me.
Reply to post #26 (show post):

Then you obviously have never read a real romance novel.
Reply to post #27 (show post):

well yes I have read some, not a lot, of romance. To say I have no read real romance is another non true Scotsman logical fallacy.

I do realized that how I interpreted these romance novels. No matter how much internal dialogue was written on how these women characters fooled themselves.
I used to find some good Romance books when I was in high school, but there are a lot more formulaic ones around since self-publishing became a thing. Of course I always avoided Harlequin.
Best so far was Frail Human Heart by Zoe Marriott
Worst so far was The Thin Man but I didn't hate it.
Reply to post #26 (show post):

Yick! That's annoying. Sounds terrible.
Need help?