logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: 24 Tasks of the Festive Season: Card, Rules, Mode of Play and ... Questions!
back to group back to club

Welcome to the Festive Tasks game, 2018 edition!

As in previous years, the game lasts from November 1 through December 31.

Like an Advent calendar, our festive calendar this year has 24 ”doors“, behind each of which hides the square for one particular holiday falling (with one exception) into the game period. Some of these holidays you’ll recognize from last year’s game, some are new.

With each of the 24 holidays included in the festive calendar, one book reading task (typically, coming with several alternative choices) and four non-book tasks are associated: As in previous years, completing either the book task (in any of its alternative incarnations) or any of the non-book tasks suffices to complete that particular square / door.

Like in last year’s game, however, completing more than one task per square / holiday will earn you a corresponding number of extra points. You can earn up to five points per holiday / square (1 for the book-related task and 4 for the non-book-related tasks).

As a general rule, we will be “opening” the festive calendar’s doors on the dates on which the respective holidays occur. “Opening” a door will reveal the holiday hiding behind that door and the associated book and non-book tasks. An exception will be made for the seven holidays at the end of the calendar period (after December 16), which we will be naming – and for which we will be revealing the associated book tasks – right at the beginning, so as to allow for sufficient time to complete those books. The non-book tasks for the holidays occurring after December 16 will be revealed on December 16.

You have the option to replace up to two holiday-related tasks (for different holidays), either books or non-book tasks, by using the book joker card. To use the book joker, read a book for any of the holidays on the card that are already unveiled at that time.

Like last year, we will be using the number of total points accumulated by all participants as a basis for the amount we’ll ultimately donate, on behalf of the BookLikes community, to one or several book-related charities.

Finally, an IMPORTANT NOTE: If you intend to use an image of the playing card in your own posts, you're going to have to copy and save the image at the top of this post here.

The "door opening" technique involves some fancy coding (all courtesy of MbD), which basically means that what is going to appear as one seamless card in our posts from now on is actually going to be a bunch of individual images all sitting snug right next to (and above and below) each other, so wherever you right-click on "copy", you're only going to be copying that particular fractional image.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread. Thanks in advance!

Let the games begin!!
First, the final seven holidays and book tasks. These are:

Winter Solstice / Yuletide (December 21): Read any book that takes place in December OR with ice or snow on the cover OR that revolves around the (summer or winter) equinox OR a collection of poetry by Hafez.

Festivus (December 23): Read any comedy, parody, or satire.

Christmas (December 25): Read any Christmas book.

Kwanzaa (December 26 - January 1): Read a book set in Africa or the Caribbean OR by an African, Caribbean, or African-American author OR a book with a green, red, or black cover.

New Year's Eve (December 31): Read a book about endings, new starts, or books where things go BOOM!

Hogswatch (December 32)*: Read anything by Terry Pratchett.

Epiphany (January 6): Read a book with three main characters OR a book about traveling on a journey to a faraway place OR a book that’s part of a trilogy OR with a star on the cover OR with the word “twelve” or “night” in the title OR or concerning kings or spices.

The non-book tasks for these seven holidays will be revealed on December 16, which is when we'll also be opening the corresponding doors on the calendar. (Hey, we want to keep some element of suspense at least for these ...)

* Discworld calendar.
Our first fully opened door is for DÍA DE LOS MUERTOS!

To learn more about this holiday, see our post from last year: http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/1613175/the-first-square-all-saints-day-dia-de-muertos-and-calan-gaeaf

TASKS AND BOOK

Task 1: Write a silly poem or limerick poking fun at the fiction character of your choice.

Task 2: Share your favorite gravestone epitaph (you know you have one).

Task 3: Create an altar (either digital or physical) for your favorite book, series, or book character, and post a picture of it. Inclusion of book cover encouraged.

Task 4: If you like Mexican food, treat yourself to your favorite dish and share a photo of it.

Book: Re-read an old favorite from a now-deceased author, a book from a finished (dead) series, or a book set in Mexico.

Remember, it only takes one of these to complete the square. Completing additional tasks will, however, earn you extra points.
I love the new twist! Y'all are forcing me outside of my comfort zone - I usually spend a chunk of time planning for the whole game by looking over all the book categories and searching my TBR mountain for matches. I think the daily reveal will be good not only for the suspense factor, but also for making me take a more relaxed approach to the game. And of course I'll be doing Hogswatch again - after reading it last year in paperback, I spent an Audible credit on the audiobook that everyone was talking up.
Also, what is our official tag for this game? "24 tasks" or "24 festive tasks"?
Reply to post #4 (show post):

I hope you'll enjoy the Nigel Planer audio. :D

And yes, the "don't stress in advance over what book will fit where" thing was definitely part of the idea. It's not quite a daily reveal -- it'll be a couple of days until the next one -- but the intervals are short, a few days at most. Hopefully this is going to work well for everybody.
Reply to post #5 (show post):

"24 festive tasks" please.
Two questions that have come up in comments to the posts:

* Is it OK to retcon books we read during the game playing period (i.e., apply them to squares / holidays once those are revealed, even reatroactively or for books already been read when the holiday is revealed)?

Yes, it is.

* Can we create an epitaph of our own?

Yes, you can.
Reply to post #4 (show post):

::MbD jumps up and down with glee::

I'm so glad you like the twist - I might have driven TA a little bonkers over the staggered reveals - not that she was opposed AT ALL - just that it was a delicate balance between the suspense and the practicality of running a game that goes through the holidays. Hopefully it will make for a relaxed pace for everyone. :)

Reply to post #9 (show post):

Well, we found a way to work it, which is all that counts! :)
Reply to post #9 (show post):

Well, I can't deny that my internal control freak is gnashing her little teeth, but that's sort of the point, isn't it?
Reply to post #11 (show post):

It is -- which is why we all agreed from the outset that the Advent calendar format was the way to go this year. (I had actually been thinking of this format last year already, but didn't pursue it then because I thought 24 squares just might be too much for the holiday season game.) Anyway, this is where functioning teamwork comes in ... the details are rolled around again and again until they're all in place!
I've not been feeling well for a few days and I've missed a few tasks or calls, I think. ??

I have done Day of the Dead and Guy Fawkes Night. I think the Melbourne cup was also called, (or the day arrived, the 5th?)

Do the days on the calendar correspond with the actual days? If they do then I'm missing today's?
Reply to post #13 (show post):

Sorry to hear you've not been well -- I hope you're feeling better again!

The days when the holidays are on the calendar correspond to the "door opening" days, yes. That means that sometimes we're opening doors on several days in a row, sometimes there are a few days in between the holidays. So far we've fully opened three doors:

1 - Día de los Muertos (http://themisathena.booklikes.com/post/1804669/24-festive-tasks-door-1-dia-de-los-muertos-november-1)
2 - Guy Fawkes Night (http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/1805998/24-festive-tasks-door-2-guy-fawkes-night-november-5th)
3 - Melbourne Cup Day (http://jenn.booklikes.com/post/1806051/24-festive-tasks-door-3-melbourne-cup-day-november-6)

We've also "prepublished" the book tasks for the seven final holidays, so as to give everybody sufficient time to read these books (if they want to): http://themisathena.booklikes.com/post/1804685/24-festive-tasks-the-seven-final-holidays
Okay, I'm understanding correctly then. Thanks so much!
And I am feeling better-mostly, thank you for that too. :)
Need help?