logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Discussion: 24 Festive Tasks 2019: Questions
back to group back to club
Reply to post #20 (show post):

Sigh. Thanks for highlighting this; I thought we were the only ones who could see the complete list. Fixed.

Though, as I said in my "sneak peek" post, what's mostly new this year are the non-book tasks -- not the holidays as such (with only a few exceptions, one of which is "Japanese Culture Day" (today)).
So, I am a little confused about how to report my book task for the first holiday? When I go to the drop down menu, there are just numbers, but I don't know which number represents the book task. I am going to assume that task "5" is the book task, so that's what I submitted. :)
Reply to post #22 (show post):

This is one of the things we, or rather MbD (aka the only one of us who really knows what she's doing) will have to look at at some point. It's "book" in the Card and Rules post and my Task Reporting Form post, and also in the actual Google form -- so I'd say either go with that or with "T5" in the other posts ("T5" is in the same spot as "book" in the drop-down menu for that particular question). BrokenTune tried it based on the "book" version in the Card and Rules post, I think, and reported back that it worked for her.

ETA: Just had a look at the results sheet, and based on that, your report for a book read came through OK.
I am attempting Door 2, task 3 and I have come to think I am done with trying this though If it a take a pictures of the where I got stuck and cant move on does it count or does it have to be completed to count?
Reply to post #25 (show post):

It's "book" in the Card and Rules post and my Task Reporting Form post, and also in the actual Google form. It's "T5" in the other posts ("T5" is in the same spot as "book" in the drop-down menu for that particular question).
Reply to post #24 (show post):

This one is turning out so complex that yes, I'd absolutely say the attempt counts.

Bonus point for actually completing it.
This is my first year doing the 24 Festive Tasks. I have a real beginner's question... how long do we have to do the individual tasks? For example, how long do we have to complete tasks from Day 1? If I plan on having a Mexican dinner next week, can I go back to Day 1 and post that?

Thanks!!
Reply to post #28 (show post):

You have the entire 2 months to complete each of the tasks! :)

And incidentally, as I just answered a related question elsewhere:

A book will count towards the 24 festive tasks if it has been read at any time during the game period, even if the relevant "book task" had not yet been announced at the moment when you picked the book.

(E.g. imagine you started reading a book by a Japanese author on November 1 -- that book will still count towards Japanese Culture Day, even though that particular calendar door was only opened, and the tasks revealed, on November 3.)
Reply to post #29 (show post):

Thank you so much!! You are so patient with my questions, I really appreciate it. :)
Reply to post #30 (show post):

You're very welcome. :)
Your Festive Task Completion Form is not updated as I went to report Door 4 Task 1 - Guy Fawkes Night is not event listed on the main list when I went to report it. It come comes back with choose your task door and it not even listed
Question: For the Guy Fawkes book criterion "political thriller", can that include interstellar/interspecies politics? I'm thinking specifically of The Android's Dream. Or is that too big of a stretch? I have other books I can use for that category, but I'm trying to keep a good mix of audio and bound so I can get to them all by the end of December.
Reply to post #32 (show post):

Added. Sorry and thanks for mentioning it.
Reply to post #33 (show post):

I don't know the book -- overall, is this more sci-fi or more political thriller? If the sci-fi element predominates, I'd say it's too much of a stretch. If it's primarily a political thriller (which just happens to be set in space), I'd say it qualifies.
Reply to post #35 (show post):

It's hard to know until I read it, but based on Scalzi's usual stuff it's probably more social commentary sci-fi with some political thriller elements. I'll keep looking for another book. No doubt I've got an audiobook somewhere that fits such a broad category.
Need help?