Litchick's Hit List 8 years ago
Wonderful post, Anna!
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
Thank you. I am so angry it hurts.
I am a reader and a reviewer. My value at their site may have been small, but I am one of 20 million like me. And without us, their value is nil.
Litchick's Hit List 8 years ago
If you look at their truly active users it's only around 20k so the community is actually a lot smaller than they let on. I'm so happy to see so many people adding their voices to this discussion because it shows that we've all been impacted by their decisions in so many different ways.
Tami 8 years ago
What Barbara said - beautiful post! I found myself nodding so much, I have a pain in my neck now :-)
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
Barbara, Tami, ladies, you are preaching to the choir here. And I wasn't even one of the Fab Percentile Extra Chic Reviewers.
How difficult would it be to weed out the 50 worst authors? because that is where the problem lies.
Tami 8 years ago
What irks me most is the stupidity of it all - in their chase to sell more books they will ruin the website. A forum that was for readers. And will slowly become nothing more than a promo plattform. And then readers will leave. And finally they will look at the smoking ruins and wonder what went wrong between making the decision to buy GR and there investment going sour...
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
Even better. They will BLAME_US™ for destroying it.
KindleRomance 8 years ago
Excellent post Anna!! You put into words how we feel. You're taking action with your pocketbook. It should be the one thing that they understand.
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
Hello KindleRomance, and thank you!
We can compare it to the Barilla incident today: I am no longer buying Italy's prime pasta because their CEO is a homofobic asshole. He said gay people shouldn't eat his pasta. The gay movement in Italy responded with a resounding: “We accept his invitation to not eat his pasta.”
If it works for Barilla, it should work for Goodreads, one would think.
KindleRomance 8 years ago
I was shocked when I saw he said that. Just sickens me that there are people like that sharing the same air I breathe.
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
And all we can do is put our hard earned cash into the hands of more deserving people. It is the only power we have. We must use it.
Ah, but doing that would've worked against GR's attractiveness as a buy-out target, right? Anyone w/ half-a brain could simply search a rather 'common' name and see loads of inactive accounts, some for years. And then there are some accounts which are verra... interesting. But then, I could've read too many Tom Clancy books in my youth. ;-)
Archer's Asylum 8 years ago
*applause*
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
*throws a kiss*
Yup. Which is why I pissed right back in their faces. I just changed my shelves to be about the author, to clearly be about the characters.
KindleRomance 8 years ago
I'm with Amaranth Eden in that nothing actually happened to me. But I removed all of my 1,000 plus reviews from GR. I am not going to be part of their games. Now I just use the site for my purposes. I hope for everybody's sake over there that GR fixes their issues, but I only see more trouble down the road instead of less.
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
I hear you all, loud and clear. I am leaving my stuff on GR until my shelves and reviews are fixed here, then I'll delete them from there. Or, some books I may leave up, with lnks to the review here. We'll see. The love, however, is over; trust has been irreparably broken.
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
Oh rabbit you crack me up! *fistbump*
KindleRomance 8 years ago
I agree with Optimist. GR is bleeding out and doesn't realize it. Very sad how they have treated people.
KindleRomance 8 years ago
Wow Amaranth! I was in quite a mood one night when I deleted all of mine. I had hit my final straw with them, and decided I didn't want to leave anything over there for them to mess with. Needless to say, I felt like a weight was lifted from my mind. Do you know who I feel really bad for in all of this mess? The librarians. If I had put the time into building that site's library, I would be livid. You can't take that work with you. Needless to say, it makes me very leery about spending my personal time building the library here at BL. I've asked authors via Twitter/Facebook to come over here and add their books to make it easier for us to post reviews. Hoping I can get more people to do the same and ask authors to help out:-)
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
All excellent ideas. And yes, I feel so sorry for all the people who built up GR's content. Librarians and fixers, and reviewers. We've all been had.
But let's try to make Booklikes our new home, it has a totally different feel. And if it goes down the same drain in 5 years, well, then we'll know how to do it all again, right?
I am the eternal optimist.
KindleRomance 8 years ago
I had started my own blog before finding GR. I decided to just do everything at GR, and ditched the blog. I really regret that decision. Now I'm starting a new blog, and that is where all of my original posts are going. I wish I was as optimistic as you. But I am getting the hang of this site, and I'm having a lot of fun here:-)
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
cashing in on some free hugs here! thanks! *hugs back*
Sherlock Lestat 8 years ago
"Just sickens me that there are people like that sharing the same air I breathe." I agree with you. BUT, remember that he has the right to say so, to think like that and to express his opinions. His visions are wrong, but if we censor him, we will be just like him. Let him express himself and we do what AnnaLund did: stop giving money and support to them. If he hasn't said "that" in first place, we wouldn't even know his opinions and would still wrongly buying and supporting him.

Great post and loved the comments. Bye!
AnnaLund2011 8 years ago
hi there A/H/S/T, well met. Let's just underline that *I* was not the one to say that phrase you are citing. I don't do that. I just walk away, and bring my business to other shops. I actually donated all my Barilla pasta to the local soup kitchen and bought De Cecco instead, and Garofalo. (I can't throw away food).
I am actually glad that Guido Barilla said it out loud, so that I can make an informed choice.
Of course, only 3 out of 100 people actually care about these things.
We have the world we deserve.