Jess 7 years ago
LOL. The kid's pretty much the best part of this story, actually. Well, that and it has a *very* Southern sense of place, so great if you're in the mood to visit the South, I guess. I'm thinking I might give it another try on an appropriately hot, muggy day, should I encounter one.
AimeeKim 7 years ago
Aw, sorry this didn't work for you. I think this book just came at the right time for me. I wanted very little romance, focus on MC, some look into a very different life or place. So I liked the Southern aspect, and the blunt humor. I bought it without reading the blurb, one of those whims, so I guess it made it a nice surprise having no expectations. Noah was the best part of the book for me too, and I hate books with kids (like Bear and the Otter, ugh). But definitely not worth spending time on a book that's not working for you-still trying to learn that myself. Hope you have better luck with your next read. :)
Jess 7 years ago
I can see this book working if you're in the right mindset for it. And sometimes going in with no expectations is the best way to fall into a book. :)

The sense of place in this one is great! It brought back my time in North Carolina so strongly, I was startled by each reminder they were actually in Mississippi, lol. Thanks for the good wishes, I'm suddenly finding myself in that horrible place where *nothing* appeals. Eeek!
Jess 7 years ago
Eh, I liked him. Despite my abhorrence for PETA, even. I was just thinking the other day that was one of those books that worked perfectly for me at the moment in time I read it, but I'm not so sure I'd love it nearly as much if I read it now.
AimeeKim 7 years ago
When I find myself in that place where I am utterly uninterested and unmoved by anything, I go immerse myself in fanfics for awhile and then emerge feeling refreshed. I find fanfics for shows I've never watched, or hunt down original ones. Not sure if you read fanfics though, so this might not be such a useful suggestion....x)
AimeeKim 7 years ago
And oh gosh, sorry if I just spammed you with notifications, my comment triple-posted. >.<
Jess 7 years ago
LOL, no worries!
KatieMc 7 years ago
I for one refuse to read this book. That cover featuring a cute kid with corn kernel teeth is all kinds of wrong for me.
AimeeKim 7 years ago
I hadn't noticed that, very odd. I might be wrong, but the kid in the story is a meth baby, so I think the crooked teeth might be just another one of his symptoms?
Those are baby teeth, and for a child of that age, they look pretty normal to me.
KatieMc 7 years ago
I don't think there is anything wrong with the teeth, they're cute. I just don't want that imagery with romance or erotica, adult books with cute kids on the cover is my objection.
AimeeKim 7 years ago
Ahh, I think I can kind of see what you mean. I feel a similar way sometimes, just don't want to deal with kids in my romance/erotica books. x) This one was an exception for me, I guess it helped that it was a family-centric story with zero erotica. Nice change of pace for me.
I liked the blunt dialogue in this, the self-deprecating humor, but like you, I had a tricky time with the romance. I also had a difficult time with the matter-of-fact acceptance of the bigotry and homophobia - though it rang true just the same. I still haven't written up my review for this book bc of those struggles. :(