3 years ago
So what do you think the word was that he wanted to tell Lily, at the very end? (This is one of my favorite books of all time.)
Merle 3 years ago
I figured it was "I love you" or "Marry me" (with "love" or "marriage" being the operative word). Because it seemed like Lily had the same thought the night before, and that operates to heighten the tragedy - Lawrence was running in excited about their new life together, and she was open to it as well, so she had another chance coming but it was too late.

What do you think? Are there different schools of thought on this? I've read a bit about the book after finishing it but not anything that analyzed that part.
3 years ago
I never saw anything analyzing that either, but I once ran a book club and that was one of the questions I asked when we discussed the book. Most people thought the word was love. I was one of them. Like you said, she was getting her chance, but it was just too late. Just thinking of it always give me a melancholy feeling, you know?
Merle 3 years ago
It is a sad ending for sure!
"So it goes." 3 years ago
I just bought a copy of this for myself at a book sale b/c I've not read it (but I have read other Wharton - not sure how that happened.) You guys make me excited to read these books that I missed in my misspent youth.
Portable Magic 3 years ago
Great review! I've never read anything by this author, although I already have Ethan Frome and Age of Innocence on my classics TBR for other projects. Curiously, this title isn't as available at the library. I guess the other two are just more commonly used for schoolwork.
3 years ago
It's free in e-book and audio book form at Project Gutenberg. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=HOUSE+OF+MIRTH
Portable Magic 3 years ago
Of course. Thanks for the reminder! I've got the instructions for sending gutenberg books to my kindle app somewhere. The audiobooks tend to be pretty hit/miss there, since the readers are amateurs.
3 years ago
Yeah, that's what I've heard about the narrators there. I've only used it for 1 or 2 e books so far, and those were okay.