Ugh. Too bad!
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Oh, no! That was another one that I wanted to explore. :( So, within a matter or days you've saved me from this one and from the Achilles one. Thank you!!
Lillelara 4 years ago
You´re welcome :). Even though I´m a little bit sad that I had two DNF´s in a month :(. And the worst thing is that I don´t know what to read next.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
I'm sure you'll find something. If you really are stuck, there's always a Christie. :)
Lillelara 4 years ago
Yes, a Christie is always a safe bet ;D. I will peruse my shelves to find out what I´m in the mood for.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
Or a Persephone treat?
Lillelara 4 years ago
I don´t think I´m in the mood for a Persephone at the moment, although "The Expandable Man" by Dorothy B. Hughes sounds really good.
BrokenTune 4 years ago
What are you in the mood for?
Lillelara 4 years ago
Well, I went to my shelves and there are three books I don´t know that I´m inclined to pick up:

"The Annie Year" by Stephanie Wilbur Ash, Atwood´s "Oryx and Crake" (maybe not the best choice at the moment) or "The Red Parts" by Maggie Nelson.

Or I might be rereading one of my favorites (Cloud Atlas or The Great Gatsby)

The last couple of weeks my reading has been all over the place. It´s awful (loved, loved, loved the Iliad, though).
BrokenTune 4 years ago
I haven't heard of The Annie Year or The Red Parts. While I enjoyed Oryx and Crake, it does require a somewhat sci fi mood.

Re-reads sound like a good idea. Of all of the FSF's, Gatsby is the only one I really liked - I haven't read Tender is the Night, yet, tho.

As for Homer, well isn't it just great that there is a "sequel" to the Iliad? ;D
Lillelara 4 years ago
I have to order The Odyssey at my local bookstore. I can´t wait to read it :D.

I think I will read The Red Parts next. Somehow I´m in a true crime kind of mood. Plus it´s short, which means I can start Around the World in Eighty Days over the weekend. I want to watch a musical which is based on this novel by Jules Verne. Plus your review made me really want to read that one :)
Tender is the Night is well written (duh, it's FSF), but has one weird plot.
Murder by Death 4 years ago
I just got this one in the post... :P

I'm not too deterred though because it was sold to me as being very sarcastically written, so I'm prepared for the snark. But I do hope it's not too over the top.
Lillelara 4 years ago
@MbD: I think you will love if you are ok with the tone of the book. I´m keeping my fingers crossed :)

Tannat 4 years ago
Darn, I have this one on hold at the library. Maybe I'll still explore it once it becomes available.
Lillelara 4 years ago
I would give it a try :). If you don´t like the writing in the first two chapters, you don´t need to read any further. The rest of the book is in a similar vein.
A book I'm reading now is sort of on the same subject, and I'm enjoying it far more: How to be a Victorian, by Ruth Goodman.
Lillelara 4 years ago
And I just ordered it from my local library. This sounds great. Thank you for the recommendation, Susanna :)
BrokenTune 4 years ago
I will have a look for that one, too. Thanks Susanna.
Then I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I am!